TF700-like alternatives

Search This thread

johnlgalt

Nov 16, 2009
Atlanta
androidforums.com
If you're cool with stock KitKat with added apps that will eventually be copied by others, check out the moto x. I know it has a rap for being underpowered, but this phone is easily the best smartphone I've had yet. If my X breaks tomorrow, I'm buying another one at motomaker.com within the hour. :)

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

The only Android SmartPhones I've had are the:

1. Motorola DROID (OG)
  2. Motorola Droid BIONIC (current)

I got the OG b/c it was Android 2.0, and vanilla - and I learned all sorts of things about ROMs, kernels, etc. on that phone. Bought it the day it came out.

I got the BIONIC b/c, at the time, it was the best Moto phone out there, plus they had gone back and developed there own LTE chip in-house, and if there is one thing that Moto has always had a pretty decent track record, it was in their chip manufacturing, all the LTE growing pains with VZW notwithstanding. Also bought on the first day it was available.

I'm much more likely to stick with Moto than try another manufacturer, and I followed really closely the development of the X last year at DroidRZR forums, but I did not (and still do nto) have the money to buy it outright - and I refuse to sign over my VZW unlimited data by buying subsidized, and I am still reading threads and posts where talking to VZW customer service is still allowing some people to keep unlimited, although most of those threads have gone dry....

I need battery life and power first and foremost, though, b/c I like to install a ton of apps that keep me connected online even when I am not at home. And so when I know I am going to have money the real search will begin, but you can bet the X will still be a contender. Just trying to decide if the G will also.

But all of that is moot for now b/c I think I want a new tablet first. My phone works perfectly fine, but my tablet is horrendously slow. I've never gotten the level of performance even on cROMi like everyone else has, and it effectively pisses me off that I might have a truly defective tablet.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Moto X comes in Dev edition, too. :) Anyway, just my 2 pennies worth. Have fun picking a new phone, @johnlgalt !

Uh, yes, lol, I know this as well. but gotta research tablets first. The same issues that are deal breakers for jtrosky are for me as well. I don't want a tablet that I have to enable BT on to use a KB, which not only does not charge the tablet but drains it faster b/c BT is enabled and being used....

Last edited:

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Unfortunately, the hinge is one of the main components that make up a "Transformer" device, so if they don't get that right, it's a pretty big "turn-off" for such a device. If I was in the market for a "tablet-only" device (with no keyboard dock), I definitely wouldn't go with an Asus device.

My main attraction to the Transformer series is their ability to, well, transform! :) Sounds like they really missed the boat on one of the key components on the TF701. It's such a shame - Asus always seems to get *so* close to the perfect Transformer!! :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

-Betu

Mar 27, 2013
TF701 is a better device in every way. It's a shame that it gets such negative reviews due to a poorly designed hinge. That is the ONLY fault I can find.

Understood. Thanks

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

Unfortunately, the hinge is one of the main components that make up a "Transformer" device, so if they don't get that right, it's a pretty big "turn-off" for such a device. If I was in the market for a "tablet-only" device (with no keyboard dock), I definitely wouldn't go with an Asus device.

My main attraction to the Transformer series is their ability to, well, transform! :) Sounds like they really missed the boat on one of the key components on the TF701. It's such a shame - Asus always seems to get *so* close to the perfect Transformer!! :)

Really? Something to consider.

butcherbird

Apr 6, 2011
SoCal
Gotta give ASUS one more chance to make it right. ASUS learns slowly, but they start off with great ideas. :)

"OK Google ... Transformer TF702 release date"
Nothing yet.

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I didn't know you had one! Do you have any problems with its hardware or software?

Did you keep your TF700T?

Oh yeah! My TF700 is strictly for play and flashing now. I have hardly anything on it in terms of data, a "bare bones" setup to make it easier to experiment. Still love that tab.

But even with CROMBi-KK - the 701on CROMi-X is so smoooooth in comparison. A joy to use.
The keyboard feels/is way cheaper on the 701 and I had to exchange both once: The 1st tablet's LCD went out after 2 days (got it exchanged), and the 1st keyboard had the infamous disconnect issues badly. The replacement has them barely - hardly noticeable in daily use. Nice thing is, they refunded my money for the 1st KB and told me to keep it! Didn't even want it back - that's how crappy they are! LOL
I'm about to send it to pershoot, the CM11 dev for the 701 who doesn't have one.
Especially the KB issues gave this tablet a bad rep which is a shame - it's totally gorgeous. I was always wondering about users complaining about lag on the 700 with CROMi-X. The 701 out of the box made me understand. And on CROMi-X 6 it's even better...

butcherbird

Apr 6, 2011
SoCal
Oh yeah! My TF700 is strictly for play and flashing now. I have hardly anything on it in terms of data, a "bare bones" setup to make it easier to experiment. Still love that tab.

But even with CROMBi-KK - the 701on CROMi-X is so smoooooth in comparison. A joy to use.
The keyboard feels/is way cheaper on the 701 and I had to exchange both once: The 1st tablet's LCD went out after 2 days (got it exchanged), and the 1st keyboard had the infamous disconnect issues badly. The replacement has them barely - hardly noticeable in daily use. Nice thing is, they refunded my money for the 1st KB and told me to keep it! Didn't even want it back - that's how crappy they are! LOL
I'm about to send it to pershoot, the CM11 dev for the 701 who doesn't have one.
Especially the KB issues gave this tablet a bad rep which is a shame - it's totally gorgeous. I was always wondering about users complaining about lag on the 700 with CROMi-X. The 701 out of the box made me understand. And on CROMi-X 6 it's even better...

Thank you for the news. I wonder if the 701 + keyboard have been improved since its release. If so, maybe the OP doesn't need to find an alternative device -- just a latest generation 701?

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you for the news. I wonder if the 701 + keyboard have been improved since its release. If so, maybe the OP doesn't need to find an alternative device -- just a latest generation 701?

Thanks for getting us back on topic! ;)
Well, the tablet is great no matter what. But I have yet to hear from someone who got a keyboard with a newer manufacturing date than 12/13 (and those are few!).
There are rumors out there that Asus just gave up on keyboards for the TF701, will market it as a tablet-only in the future (a TRANSFORMER tablet w/out a keyboard???) and put their chips towards the next generation.
I doubted the rumours until recently. I haven't seen any new keyboards, there was no recall, no acknowledgement of the disaster with these KB's by Asus - no nothing. Now I do wonder if they just wrote them off. IDK.
But I'm glad I got one... :)

butcherbird

Apr 6, 2011
SoCal
Thanks for getting us back on topic! ;)
Well, the tablet is great no matter what. But I have yet to hear from someone who got a keyboard with a newer manufacturing date than 12/13 (and those are few!).
There are rumors out there that Asus just gave up on keyboards for the TF701, will market it as a tablet-only in the future (a TRANSFORMER tablet w/out a keyboard???) and put their chips towards the next generation.
I doubted the rumours until recently. I haven't seen any new keyboards, there was no recall, no acknowledgement of the disaster with these KB's by Asus - no nothing. Now I do wonder if they just wrote them off. IDK.
But I'm glad I got one... :)

Well, based on what you're saying, it sounds like ASUS has quietly acknowledged the fact that the product is defective (by discontinuing them). Now, let's hope ASUS is developing the fix in the next model -- and hopefully gets it ALL right this time.

Ananasnonym

Sep 14, 2011
The isolation of my charger cable for my TF700 went off and so i "fixed" it with isolation tape => a short circuit or something like that broke accelerometer, SD reader in The Dock, USB in the Dock, automatic brightness and data link to PC. Is unlocked, so repair isn't worth it.

So I looked around for alternatives, comparison with TF701 and more, but all in all I will stick with a TF700 for now. The possibility to run Linux (at an absolutely reasonable speed) in dualboot with Cromi-X (with data2sd and hunds kernel very smooth!) plus screen, lightweight, battery! (there is no tablet netbook hybrid with 9h+ on the market), support by devs (THANK YOU XDA :good::laugh:).

In comparison to the TF701 it has a more or less better keyboard, and I think the better hardware is not worth the upgrade (yet?). I will wait for a Tegra K1 Transformer => Linux mainline kernel support! Then it will be the TRUE transformer (mainly Hardware 3D acceleration). The Transformer book trio looks interesting though, but too expensive right now..

It may be that I will stay because I managed to order a replacement with broken screen for 100€ - and will exchange the screens - hopefully the digitizer versions will fit! Nevertheless, the price for what you get from a Transformer TF700 is the best one can get on the market right now.

usern ameisval idandnot

Aug 16, 2012
I come to the conclusion that the TF 700 is still superior to the TF701. I tested both next to each other in planes and trains.

TF701:
Half as bright as TF 700 even with IPS.
Glass way more easily stained by fatty fingers.
Battery drains much faster when watching movies or reading a book.
Movies in 720p look ****ty. I have most my things in 720p or 1080p. Battery drain in native resolution movies is insane.
Keybord plastic instead of alu.
Lighter than the 700 and smoother. But how is that great if it is empty after half an atlantic flight?

butcherbird

Apr 6, 2011
SoCal
The new update to Docs and Sheets in Android - allowing for offline editing at last - have instantly made the TF700 useful to me while working on the road. Glad I never sold it.

Reactions: johnlgalt

tcorless

Jun 9, 2008
Has anyone checked out the Transformer Pad tf103c, (MG103... at best buy)? My tf700t has touch screen issues.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

rycheme

Jun 2, 2010
Has anyone checked out the Transformer Pad tf103c, (MG103... at best buy)? My tf700t has touch screen issues.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I bought it today and so far, I'm liking it.

Edit: After 15 days, it shut down and wouldn't come back to life. This is after it had randomly shut off a few times within the past week. I returned it and bought a Galaxy Tab 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: tcorless

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I thought that you still had some flash-memory slowness with the TF701? I thought that you mentioned that in the CROMi-X thread shortly after you got it?

Er.... no by default the browser is not very optimised but the device is very quick off the bat. I said that the optimised TF700 doesn't necessarily warrant an upgrade but the TF701 is definitely faster. 18900 on quadrant (16,000 stock) and 33,000 on Antutu.
    Just wanted to start a dedicated thread to discuss some potential replacement devices for the TF700, instead of discussing it in the CROMi-X thread (some people seem to get really upset when you talk about something "off-topic"!).

As we all know, the TF700 has some serious flash-memory performance issues. While I would love to replace my TF700 with an alternate-branded device (not giving Asus anymore chances - was bit by them with the TF101, TF700 and even my Nexus 7 is now having charging issues), there don't seem to be many (if any) options available that provide the same functionality as the TF700's keyboard dock (which I use with my TF700 99% of the time!).

So far, we have identified these potential Android alternatives in the CROMi-X thread (really not interested in a Windows or Apple iOS device):

- HP SlateBook x2
    - Toshiba AT10LE-A (speculative at this point - not released yet)

Really, that's about it. However, it has been noted that the HP SlateBook x2 has two serious (deal-breaking) issues:
    - No root access (at leat not yet)
    - No way to connect to PC (although, I just read about a cable that does allow ADB access when connected to a PC, so this may not be an issue anymore).

The Toshiba AT10LE-A sounds promising, but I would be worried about developer support for it, if it is ever really released (just "leaked" info so far).

Anyone else know of any other Android-based devices that support a true keyboard dock?

Well I have a TF701T and it is a fantastic device. So much faster than the TF700T. Even with stock it is quick and with CROMi-X it flies.

The main issue is the dock. Asus have messed up big time as there is a design fault that means the tab doesn't sit firmly in the dock. I sent mine away for repair and they sent it back 'fixed' - in reality they changed the hinge but it made no difference. It doesn't actually cause any issues just doesn't feel great when you pop it over feeling some movement there. Some people have had connectivity issues due to this fault so I imagine it may shorten the life of the connector.

Shame really as other than this you cannot fault the device at all.
    Ah - sorry about that! As I get older, my memory gets worse and worse!! :)

Maybe I really should consider the TF701 then - I'm just so weary of Asus anymore! The TF101, TF700 and now the Nexus 7 (which I really liked up until I started having charging issues) have left a "bad taste in my mouth"...

But then again, being that I use the dock almost 100% of the time, I'm now a little worried about the dock issues that you've mentioned...

I think I'll hold out a little longer and see if anyone else releases an Android tablet with a keyboard dock before I decide...

Thanks for clearing that up though - I was mistakenly under the impression that the TF701 still suffered from slow-flash-memory issues...

They definitely solved the IO issues on the TF701T ;) See :

CROMi-X
    vHW7O5K.png

PpUlaJL.png

And Stock
    LKNMpTl.jpg
    The tf701 is a speed demon, so far has not suffered with the tests I've done, here some differences with the TF700:

Display: The tf701 has a much better than the TF700, which has its best when you activate the " vivid " mode, the resolution is higher and definitely looks awesome. The only lack is that i believe tha not have gorilla glass, definitely anti scratch, but not gorilla glass.

Processor and Memory: This section is satisfactory, the TF 700 users notice the difference immediately, when you install applications can navigate and do other tasks without lag, transfer files have a nice speed, and his 2 GB memory mantains everything very fluid. :fingers-crossed:

Battery: The performance is much better than my experience with the TF700 , can work between 20 % and 25% .

Games and Office Applications : This tablet can do it all, for example, the NFS most wanted graphics demands increases or decreases according to the SOC power, in my nexus 4 it runs with medium to high effects, but on the TF701 applies all effects like wet streets , smoke and paint scratches. In other hand with office applications, finally I can work with excel files without feeling that huge lag when moving from one sheet to another . :fingers-crossed:

Sound: The speaker is more powerful, but i miss the double speaker like the TF101 :silly:

Cons : Well you i have to mention it, and first is the possible lack of Gorilla Glass ( a screen protector resolved it ) , elimination of flash camera ( I personally do not take pictures with the tablet ) , less resolution of the rear camera, and finally the vibration was removed ( I have not found a way to activate )

TF701 is for now a strong option if you have or comer from TF700, had a note 10.1 and returned it for the amount of bloatware and thin frames, nothing beats the feel of the aluminum case in my hands.

I mention that this is my experience and just my opinion. :D