[Q] Weak Wifi Signal

Search This thread

saup

Aug 1, 2010
Hi. I am having very weak wifi signal and the signal keeps droping on my one x while my old sensation at the same place has better wifi reception. Any one facing this problem or any one has any fix? I have the insertcoin 3.3.0 installed. Even with the stock firmware i faced the same issue. Thanks in advance.

five1234

Jun 8, 2006
Hi,

I'm facing exactly the same problem...
only when standing in a range of a few meters from the router, I have a good connection.
My desire has a much much better connection.
do you think we have to send it back?

gr,

F

linkisoc

Jan 9, 2008
I had to buy a plug in wifi extender, put it into an area in the house quite far from my wireless modem router, One X now has much better wifi reception.

My Samsung Galaxy Nexus never had this problem, or Nexus S, or Nexus.... seems the wifi reception of the One X handset is weak.

By the way my modem router is Netgear 1000SP and my wifi extender is the Netgear one. Very easy to set up. £69 (in the UK).

five1234

Jun 8, 2006
I had to buy a plug in wifi extender, put it into an area in the house quite far from my wireless modem router, One X now has much better wifi reception.

My Samsung Galaxy Nexus never had this problem, or Nexus S, or Nexus.... seems the wifi reception of the One X handset is weak.

By the way my modem router is Netgear 1000SP and my wifi extender is the Netgear one. Very easy to set up. £69 (in the UK).

but that will only solve the problem at home and not at work or other places :(

wph

May 27, 2010
I have the same problem. My HTC Desire has much better WiFi reception than my One X. I tested it with the WiFi Analyzer app and the difference in signal strength is on average 10 DBm, which is quite large difference. For me it makes WiFi unusable on the top floor of my house, where the Desire never had problems. With the One X I have set WiFi to Best WiFi in Settings, but it didn't help much.

What I also noticed are very large variations in signal strength. In a room next to the room where my WiFi router is, I should have strong signal, sometimes I have 2 arcs signal strength in the WiFi icon, but sometimes those bars drop do only the dot in the icon, so a large difference.

edit: as far as I can remember, before the update I didn't notice the WiFi problem, but that might be due to the fact I just got my phone. I haven't unlocked my bootloader so I can't test it myself, so maybe somebody else is willing to test that? It's important to find out, because if WiFi really was better before the OTA update, it means it's just a firmware issue. If not... it can be hardware.

Last edited:
Reactions: saup

saup

Aug 1, 2010
I think its a software issue as many of us are facing the exact same problem only when away from the router. My router is on the ground floor and my room is on the second floor. Its just that floor where I am facing the problem while my sensation has got a decent signal. I feel its a software issue and the next update should hopefully solve it.

I am also having weak signal on ground floor rooms where the router is just 7-8 feet away from me.

Last edited:

Masor

Oct 15, 2009
Newcastle, UK
I just sent my One X back because the wifi signal was so poor

about 15 feet from the router i had 1 bar signal any further non, what so ever. Pretty much made the phone a useless pile of ****e when it comes to using wifi.

Spoke to HTC regarding it but they told me to send the phone back, i will see what the next phone is like, most likely the same by the sounds of it if other people are having this issue

wph

May 27, 2010
I just sent my One X back because the wifi signal was so poor

about 15 feet from the router i had 1 bar signal any further non, what so ever. Pretty much made the phone a useless pile of ****e when it comes to using wifi.

Spoke to HTC regarding it but they told me to send the phone back, i will see what the next phone is like, most likely the same by the sounds of it if other people are having this issue

Please let us know if your next phone is (way) better, because if it is, maybe we need to send it back too. For now I keep having the hope that it's just software and will be fixed.

Masor

Oct 15, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Please let us know if your next phone is (way) better, because if it is, maybe we need to send it back too. For now I keep having the hope that it's just software and will be fixed.

I just got my replacement. The Wifi is alot better. I have full bars in the same location that i had 1 bar on the old one

There is definately a big difference, my main problem was at home, but i had 1 bar at my desk at work aswell, i now have full bars.

I havent updated it with any firmware as of yet, but it said there was non available when i last got it to check.

If it helps at all its Build 1.26.206.2

Worth sending yours back, there seems to be a few people with this issue, but if it was a fault with the model i would expect alot more people complaining, not just the few of us

I think my replacement phone they have given me an o2 Rom one due to the fact it has crappy o2 software on it... not to happy about that but at least the wifi works

Last edited:

wph

May 27, 2010
And did you update your first One X? (or do you know which version that one runned on?)

(because like I stated in one of my previous posts, I don't recall any problems on the first firmware, which was 1.26, but I used it only a few days with 1.26. Now I'm on 1.28.)

Last edited:

Masor

Oct 15, 2009
Newcastle, UK
And did you update your first One X? (or do you know which version that one runned on?)

(because like I stated in one of my previous posts, I don't recall any problems on the first firmware, which was 1.26, but I used it only a few days with 1.26. Now I'm on 1.28.)

I updated yeah, i believe there was an update on Friday or so, unfortunately i didnt take note of what version it updated to

This phone is o2 branded by the looks of it, its not what my original phone was it was unbranded completly, i may take this one back aswell, tho not sure if its worth it as at least the wifi works. O2 wont release the update as early as the unbranded presumably.

Suppose i could just custom rom this and get rid of the o2 stuff

wph

May 27, 2010
I updated yeah, i believe there was an update on Friday or so, unfortunately i didnt take note of what version it updated to

This phone is o2 branded by the looks of it, its not what my original phone was it was unbranded completly, i may take this one back aswell, tho not sure if its worth it as at least the wifi works. O2 wont release the update as early as the unbranded presumably.

Suppose i could just custom rom this and get rid of the o2 stuff
Would you be so kind to look up what radio version you are running now?

With my old Desire I would just flash a different radio myself, but that's not possible without S-Off.

josumart

Oct 18, 2011
I have the same issue with the wifi signal. I tried to install the 1.28 european ruu and some custom roms, but did not work. Do you think that it is a hardware or a software issue?

Masor

Oct 15, 2009
Newcastle, UK
I have the same issue with the wifi signal. I tried to install the 1.28 european ruu and some custom roms, but did not work. Do you think that it is a hardware or a software issue?

I think its possibly firmware, like wph says in his posts, I'm sure before the phone had latest firmware there wasn't a problem.

Is it possible to flash the older Rom and firmware?

wph

May 27, 2010
No that's the problem. Flashing an older RUU will not work, since the bootloader has changed and doesn't allow an older bootloader to be flashed. Unlocking the bootloader doesn't help since it doesn't give S-Off and therefore it's impossible to flash a different radio/baseband.

josumart

Oct 18, 2011
So will have to wait to the S-off to flash a new radio and hope that could solve the problem?

wph

May 27, 2010
Like I stated above, if I recall correct, the problem wasn't there with the old radio. But I only used it a few days before the update came. If it's just the radio, maybe HTC will fix it with a new update, so it could be with the next OTA update. If the next update doesn't contain a new radio, then the wait will be longer. If the radio from 1.26 was really better, it would be nice to know that for sure. That means I don't have to send my phone back. And there S-Off would be handy, then I could test my premise. If the radio isn't the problem, but it's hardware, then waiting is pointless and we just have bad luck with our devices.

Reactions: Masor

josumart

Oct 18, 2011
I mailed the seller yesterday concerning this problem, and they are going to change my device. I will send it today, hoping to get it back asap.

Masor

Oct 15, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Like I stated above, if I recall correct, the problem wasn't there with the old radio. But I only used it a few days before the update came. If it's just the radio, maybe HTC will fix it with a new update, so it could be with the next OTA update. If the next update doesn't contain a new radio, then the wait will be longer. If the radio from 1.26 was really better, it would be nice to know that for sure. That means I don't have to send my phone back. And there S-Off would be handy, then I could test my premise. If the radio isn't the problem, but it's hardware, then waiting is pointless and we just have bad luck with our devices.

Hopefully just be the radio, mine is definately sorted with the new phone, but im still on 1.26. If O2 release the firmware for 1.28 soon i will know. Sticking to 1.26 for the time being while its working :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hardware minor issue

I'd this problem almost two weeks b4. Originally my wifi was very good but one day (two weeks ago) I found my wifi signal weaken and I at first thought that was a software issue because I flash my rom frequently. After that I flashed back the original and even used OTA upgrade. However, nothing helped and the wifi reception was still weak.

Today, I boldly disassemble the back cover of the One X and tested there was a two contact pts that touching the back cover anntena (near the volume adjusting button). I tried using a metal strip to link the two contac pts together and check with wifi analyzer and I found the reception back to very strong. So I'm sure it is contact problem, so I clean all the contact pts and make sure all contacts are good enough to touch the back cover anntena by lifting the contact pts a bit higher.

Now I'm back to my original wifi reception power happily. But one thing, open the back is not easy and sure will give you some scrathes!
    I have the same problem. My HTC Desire has much better WiFi reception than my One X. I tested it with the WiFi Analyzer app and the difference in signal strength is on average 10 DBm, which is quite large difference. For me it makes WiFi unusable on the top floor of my house, where the Desire never had problems. With the One X I have set WiFi to Best WiFi in Settings, but it didn't help much.

What I also noticed are very large variations in signal strength. In a room next to the room where my WiFi router is, I should have strong signal, sometimes I have 2 arcs signal strength in the WiFi icon, but sometimes those bars drop do only the dot in the icon, so a large difference.

edit: as far as I can remember, before the update I didn't notice the WiFi problem, but that might be due to the fact I just got my phone. I haven't unlocked my bootloader so I can't test it myself, so maybe somebody else is willing to test that? It's important to find out, because if WiFi really was better before the OTA update, it means it's just a firmware issue. If not... it can be hardware.
    Would you be so kind to look up what radio version you are running now?

With my old Desire I would just flash a different radio myself, but that's not possible without S-Off.

Yep no bother it is:

Baseband Version:

Build Number:

Hope that helps
    I have already Twitted at @htc asking them what they are doing about it. I'm @ToddeSwe on Twitter if someone wants to retwitt.

LOOK at my post at: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1687233 made a rollcall about this using twitter.

Skickat från min HTC One X via Tapatalk 2

Retweet is done ;)
    You also got a new follower :)