Unroot or back to stock

Search This thread

tamoquera

Mar 4, 2012
I'm interested in knowing if there is any method to unroot the Kindle Fire HD. A method to get back to stock would be useful as well. Just in case I had to send it back to Amazon. I've been searching several forums (finding nothing) before asking this question. Thanks!

Chelle01

Oct 3, 2012
I'm interested in knowing if there is any method to unroot the Kindle Fire HD. A method to get back to stock would be useful as well. Just in case I had to send it back to Amazon. I've been searching several forums (finding nothing) before asking this question. Thanks!

They have some tools that can un root. And I believe if you do a factory reset it erases root.

kinfauns

Retired Senior Moderator and Retired DC Lead
Jan 5, 2012
I'm going to say that this is not entirely correct. Using the factory reset will break an app's ability to perform rooted tasks (because Superuser will be gone), but it's not going to return the device back to stock. The su binary will still be in place on the system. To really go back to stock, you'll have to go in as root, remount the system read/write, delete the su binary and reboot.

tamoquera

Mar 4, 2012
I'm going to say that this is not entirely correct. Using the factory reset will break an app's ability to perform rooted tasks (because Superuser will be gone), but it's not going to return the device back to stock. The su binary will still be in place on the system. To really go back to stock, you'll have to go in as root, remount the system read/write, delete the su binary and reboot.

Thanks for all your answers. So If I'm right doing what you said (erasing the su binary) and performing a factory reset the device could be sent back to amazon, I guess that Google Play and all that stuff will desappear without leaving any trace. Am I right? Thanks again

Xyth

Sep 20, 2012
Thanks for all your answers. So If I'm right doing what you said (erasing the su binary) and performing a factory reset the device could be sent back to amazon, I guess that Google Play and all that stuff will desappear without leaving any trace. Am I right? Thanks again

I just tried this as I wanted to start over and do a clean load after root now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing. Upon starting after factory reset, the kindle presented the dialog box asking me to choose a default launcher. This would indicate anything you install into the system folder needs to be deleted prior to resetting.

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea
Factory reset does not unroot the system. I've done this multiple times.

I sent my rooted but factory reset KFHD back to amazon for a refund. I made sure to delete any files I put in system/apps and anywhere else in the system folders. The factory reset will not clear those files out.

I took the risk and I received a refund a couple hours after they received my device. Most likely it will go back to whomever refurbs their kindle fires and then it will be returned to full stock. I did not find any info so far as to unrooting the KFHD.

Might be different scenario if you sent it back for service.

PS. I made sure to drain the battery and turned off the device and packed it up. Also if you are using anything such as a secondary launcher, I would go back to KF launcher and then delete. Deleting it while using such might cause it to go into a force close loops. Same for keyboard, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: tamoquera

tamoquera

Mar 4, 2012

I sent my rooted but factory reset KFHD back to amazon for a refund. I made sure to delete any files I put in system/apps and anywhere else in the system folders. The factory reset will not clear those files out.

I took the risk and I received a refund a couple hours after they received my device. Most likely it will go back to whomever refurbs their kindle fires and then it will be returned to full stock. I did not find any info so far as to unrooting the KFHD.

PS. I made sure to drain the battery and turned off the device and packed it up. Also if you are using anything such as a secondary launcher, I would go back to KF launcher and then delete. Deleting it while using such might cause it to go into a force close loops. Same for keyboard, etc.

Happy to hear that. I thought that doing a factory reset wasn't enough, but I was waiting for a confirmation.
You were lucky that amazon has such an amazing customer service.

jazzlim

Nov 9, 2009

Hi can i know after a factory reset, will all the default software and apk be restored as well? I deleted some system/app file and it causes some problem for me. And does that mean I do not need to root again after the reset? thks

What permissions need to exist on /data/local/tmp if it needs to be recreated (no longer a symlink back to /data), or will the OS recreate the tmp subdir if the symlink is removed?

Edit: Answered my own question. If you remove the symlink, it appears that init.rc takes care of recreating the directory at next boot. You could recreate manually with:
rm /data/local/tmp
mkdir /data/local/tmp
chown shell.shell /data/local/tmp
chmod 0771 /data/local/tmp

Last edited:
Complete process to unroot

Working from previous gen Kindle HOWTOs, I managed to work out a full process to revert the Kindle Fire HD device back to stock (assuming you haven't added or removed any other apps from the /system or /data partitions).

This assumes you have the Android SDK and/or the "adb" utility installed. Mac/Linux users may need to substitute "adb" for "./adb" if you don't have your current working directory in your path.

Code:
[I]# On USB Host[/I]
[B]adb shell[/B]

[I]# Inside ADB Shell, get root if you don't have it already[/I]
[B]su[/B]

[I]# Remove SuperUser app and ALL traces[/I]
[B]rm /data/app/com.noshufou.android.su*.apk[/B]
[I]# Remove SuperUser app data and dalvek cache[/I]
[B]rm -r /data/data/com.noshufou.android.su
rm /data/dalvik-cache/data@app@com.noshufou.android.su*.apk@classes.dex[/B]

[I]# /system is read-only - remount /system as read-write[/I]
[B]mount -o remount,rw /system[/B]

[I]# Remove SU binary[/I]
[B]rm /system/xbin/su[/B]

[I]# Restore TMP directory - Remove symlink from rooting effort[/I]
[B]rm /data/local/tmp[/B]
[I]# Recreate symlink dir with correct perms (or let init.rc recreate at reboot)[/I]
[B]mkdir /data/local/tmp
chown shell.shell /data/local/tmp
chmod 0771 /data/local/tmp [/B]

[I]# exit SU[/I]
[B]exit[/B]
[I]# Exit adb shell[/I]
[B]exit[/B]

[I]# On host computer, reboot the Kindle to complete the process[/I]
[B]adb reboot[/B]

Last edited:

camman85

Nov 30, 2012
Spokane
Just unrooted my Kindle. Super easy. You will need root to complete it, but it works.

I needed to send my KF2 back to Amazon for a battery defect. Didn't want any problems to go down if they saw the root.
Here is what I did:

Keep root, go to your file explorer and make sure that the system folder is writable, navigate to your /app folder in the system folder, delete the google apps, the google app infrastructure and the SU app. Make sure that you got everything, then do a factory reset. You should now be root free! Congratulations!

Hope that works for you all.

Reactions: bangwhiz

fldennis

Apr 1, 2013
Kindle Fire HD 7.30 root woes

I rooted my Kindle fire HD prior to version 7.30. My auto update was not turned off and version 7.30 screwed up my rooted Kindle.
Now I can't root it again. I don't have access to root. I have been trying KFFirstAide but I keep getting "/system/bin/sh: su: not found".
KFF sees the device. The Kindle boots fine and is recognized in Windows 7 32bit. I have been trying for 2 days. I have reset back to factory settings via the Kindle reset. No luck rooting. I don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

D

Deleted member 5163087

I rooted my Kindle fire HD prior to version 7.30. My auto update was not turned off and version 7.30 screwed up my rooted Kindle.
Now I can't root it again. I don't have access to root. I have been trying KFFirstAide but I keep getting "/system/bin/sh: su: not found".
KFF sees the device. The Kindle boots fine and is recognized in Windows 7 32bit. I have been trying for 2 days. I have reset back to factory settings via the Kindle reset. No luck rooting. I don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try the manual method described in here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069117 (it's near the bottom of the first post)

Download the Root Many Android application
32-bit
64-bit

Then follow the guide from there.

Usually works for me!

Ina_K

Jan 6, 2014
changing ROMs

Hello everyone....
I have a kindle fire HD 7" 7.4.6
I rooted and added TWRP with 7.2.3 bootloader
I installed CM11 Kitkat the ROM is a bit buggy but nice.
I tried to go from kitkat to kinology which allows use of Amazon and Google services.
But flashing failed.... I can't seem to get kinology to work.
This is the set of walkthroughs I used.
To root & add TWRP. I used a rootjunkie YouTube video ( can't post link)
To install cm 11:
also a rootjunkie video

knowing this, I tried installing kinology using this walkthrough:
Original kinology page.

No luck, does anyone know how I can move my system to kinology?
please help,
Thanks to all in advance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Just unrooted my Kindle. Super easy. You will need root to complete it, but it works.

I needed to send my KF2 back to Amazon for a battery defect. Didn't want any problems to go down if they saw the root.
    Here is what I did:

Keep root, go to your file explorer and make sure that the system folder is writable, navigate to your /app folder in the system folder, delete the google apps, the google app infrastructure and the SU app. Make sure that you got everything, then do a factory reset. You should now be root free! Congratulations!

Hope that works for you all.