[WIP] Rooting new update 14.3.2.1_user_321093620.

Search This thread

Mineturtle33

Jan 15, 2013
Why won't anybody try my method. It works on a 2013 device realeased at the sane time with the same software as the HDX root methods for the HDX work for it, so why won't its 11.3.2.1 method work?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

digitaldrama

Mar 17, 2014
Sorry about the whole Texas thing. Really.

Really? It makes me simply ignore the question. Not just the ranting (which really is better suited for a mental health forum than XDA), but also the fact it has been answered in several post throughout the forum (you know, the ones where the user renamed all the relevant apk's, deleted or renamed the OTA certs & blocked the IP's on both routers & firewalls & yet were still updated).

*As with my previous post, all forum worthy info is in glorious Technicolor™ ( red/boldface ).

Ahh yes, Texas. That makes perfect sense. My sarcasm and irony doesn't come close to the genius of Texan favorite, Michigan resident, and, funnyman Ted Nugent. Mr. Nugent is a virtuoso. His topical satire ranks amongst the very best of the genre. You can't please everybody or Texans. I can completely understand where you're coming from. It's all very clear to me now. Perhaps, you are being held hostage and are not permitted to laugh. Blink twice for yes, then say no more.

As, for the pertinent information. Doesn't it seem odd to anyone else, that there is no answer to blocking the Kindle HDX from contacting the mothership.

I'm a visual fx guy, If you need a kick a** effect for a film, I'm right there for you. I am not an expert, by any means, on the particular topics, that this website covers. That's why I'm here. I'm here to learn something. I apologize if my delivery doesn't suit a delicate sensibility and fragile disposition. I moved last year to a new home. Well... It's more of a psychiatric facility, than a home. The P.O. doesn't forward my Decorum Society newsletter. At least that's what I'm being told by my nurses. I would be immensely heart stricken to know, that someone's*brain detonated, within their skull, over something I wrote. Good lord. Had they only looked away when my post appeared, and wore a seatbelt. They would still be here today. The other suggestion my doctors had, and I must concur, is to remove the pineapple from wherever it's lodged. ;)

With that said, I have been in computer science since I was 10. That's 42 years. I punched cards to program a machine with the same capacity as many of today's toys. I have a Phd in Physics and a BS in Computer Science. I have run in many circles. I have been deep internet, since the Navy developed and abandoned it. To this very day, I have yet to see ANY program on ANY platform that has not been able to be reverse engineered. So... If you don't have the chops to find a solution, then have a drink at your favorite watering hole, brandish*thosefreshly polished sidearm sixshooters, mention to your misogynist friends how your "brain nearly exploded", just by reading a post, tell highbrow knock knock jokes, talk about seceding from the rest of the America, plan how to get Ted Cruz and Ted Nugent into the Whitehouse, and block me.

There's no harm in not knowing how to do something. I don't have a more elegant and appropriate solution to my mother's problem either.
If you don't want to spend the effort to work on this type of interim solution, that's cool too.
If it is the consensus, that it's not worth expending the time and effort to work on this, that's totally acceptable.

Just don't say, it's not possible, or can't be done. That just indicates a certain level of naïveté. I can list many instances of things that are believed to be impossible, yet they are.

Does the Kindle OS generate random IP's that fit closely to a router's un-banned IP ranges. That would assume the mothership somehow knows these what these IP's are and set's up an update server there. It matters not if these outgoing or incoming requests are encrypted? Do they have false, friendly sounding domains that don't attract attention and red flags. As an example, I would never block texas . com slash tourism.mthl

Does the Kindle shut down, if it's not connected to Amazon every so often? Microsoft tried to do that with the Xbox One. You see how long that lasted. It was squashed months before the hardware was released.

Any Amazon specific apps can be avoided till a root is found. Any one of those apps can check your OS status and report it back to Amazon.

I find it incredibly hard to believe, impossible really, that short of keeping the Kindle from wifi, that it CAN'T be done.

(you know, the ones where the user renamed all the relevant apk's, deleted or renamed the OTA certs & blocked the IP's on both routers & firewalls & yet were still updated).

Yes, I read all the threads with interest. All that these posts indicate to me is that the router rules have not accounted for every outgoing and incoming request. It maybe hard to believe, but it's a fact. It's plain and simple. If you have trouble understanding this very legitimate and accurate notion, then you really don't understand what routers do. How about blocking every outgoing and incoming connection on every port. Grant permission when asked, and only when you know or recognize what it is asking for. Like a request for tednugent . com

I did this already and it seems to be working fine. I would assume that Amazon is not attempting to hack every network attached to a Kindle. Pushing an update, by bypassing*individual firewalls seems more unlikely than a fleet of drones delivering packages to your doorstep.

The real problem is blocking the ports, exact outgoing, and incoming requests. If I had a Kindle and required blocking Amazon's access to it, I would have done, as I described above, for my mother. It is not an elegant solution for her. She does not live with me. She just learned that holding the mouse backwards makes the cursor in opposite direction. Blocking the proper requests, would be ideal for Mom. She thinks IT is a Stephen King novel. No granting permissions necessary.

What the reply post from my good Texan colleague seems to suggest is... no firewall rules can be written to prevent the Kindle from reaching out to the Amazon server and update. Really? Is that what you're indicating?

Commenting on my post, validates it. Good or bad, it becomes corraborated. You wallow in the mud with me or concur with the statement. By, flinging disparaging remarks, sheltered by attempted helpful, if not, correct information, only makes oneseIf look hypocritical. Chastising something, while actually engauging in it, begs a question. Does the person speaking have any remote idea, what the words mean, while speaking them. If one is unwilling to read a post by me, then do not. Texas, where a good majority of the population follow the extreme right wing flute playing of the "Tea Party" piper. I have heard, a fair portion of Texans have ZERO "free thinking" capabilities. Those poor rubes have no clue that they are being used as pawns. I'd probably be rude and PO'd too. I'd be blocking or avoiding a poster I take issue with, can't really be THAT hard a intellection to wrap a ten gallon hat around. Hmmmm, maybe I'm assuming WAY to much. Perhaps, if one heard it on FOX one might believe it.

I'll clue you in. After my first text, I began highlighting pertinent topical XDAdevelopers business in red. *NEW* It's be brought to my attention that some color blind people may accidentally harm themselves reading black text. I have now instituted a "different font" policy for their safety and convenience.

Have a super day!

YEEEEE HA! and Yippee ki-yay, motherf***er!

bouncy1920

Dec 2, 2013
GSLEON, I agree completely with you! Please don't let someone's pathetic attempt to entertain strangers because of a lack of attention at home keep you from your work here.

I'm willing to try a root method if tutorial is provided. I miss the play store.

I'll help in anyway possible. thanks all.

cdub50

Jul 21, 2007
Just wanted to chime in and state that I still have root. Have droid wall installed renamed ota cert and removed an amazon app that can push updates forget the name. No build.prop mods needed.

Sent from my KFTHWI using xda app-developers app

kirewade

Sep 24, 2013
I tired his root method and this is what i got.

C:\Users\Erik\Desktop\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20131030\sdk\platform-tools>adb
push su /data/local/tmp/
3190 KB/s (104564 bytes in 0.032s)

push rootme.sh /data/local/tmp/
61 KB/s (188 bytes in 0.003s)

push exploit /data/local/tmp/
3253 KB/s (89968 bytes in 0.027s)

shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/rootme.sh

shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/exploit

shell /data/local/tmp/exploit -c "/data/local/tmp/rootme.sh"

Device detected: KFAPWI (JDQ39)

Try to find address in memory...
Attempt msm_cameraconfig exploit...
Detected kernel physical address at 0x00008000 form iomem

Attempt fb_mem exploit...
You need to manage to get remap_pfn_range addresses.
Failed to get prepare_kernel_cred addresses.
Failed to get commit_creds addresses.
Failed to get ptmx_fops addresses.
KFAPWI (JDQ39) is not supported.
Failed to setup variables.

revircs

Mar 21, 2014
GSLEON, I agree completely with you! Please don't let someone's pathetic attempt to entertain strangers because of a lack of attention at home keep you from your work here.

I'm willing to try a root method if tutorial is provided. I miss the play store.

I'll help in anyway possible. thanks all.

same here

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013

Yup - fully concur. Even if you are truly done GSLEON I express my sincere appreciation for everything you have brought to the table so far.

#mich3L

Apr 1, 2014
Can anybody that has already updated please download the attached file & extract it & then do the following via ADB:

MAKE SURE YOU EXTRACT THE .7Z FILE BEFORE PUSHING. YOU JUST WANT TO PUSH THE KINDLEEXPLOIT, NOT THE ENTIRE ZIP ARCHIVE!

adb push kindleexploit /data/local/tmp/
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/kindleexploit
adb shell /data/local/tmp/kindleexploit -c "/system/bin/id"

Post or send me the results & we may be able to use the data to easily obtain the new address in the kernel for modifying the existing exploit.

This information is essentially what I provided jcase when he helped bring the first exploit to life for the HDX.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My results

Device detected: KFTHWI (JDQ39)

Try to find address in memory...

You need to manage to get remap_pfn_range addresses.
Failed to get prepare_kernel_cred addresses.
Failed to get commit_creds addresses.
Failed to get ptmx_fops addresses.
KFTHWI (JDQ39) is not supported.
Failed to setup variables.

andros1972

Apr 7, 2014
my result

my result

Please connect Device with enabled USB-Debugging to your Computer!
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
Device connected. Pushing files...
3396 KB/s (507888 bytes in 0.146s)
Changing permissions...
Executing Exploit (could take some minutes, be patient!)
Hit ENTER to continue
Premere un tasto per continuare . . .

Device detected: KFAPWI (JDQ39)

Attempt acdb exploit...

Attempt fj_hdcp exploit...

Attempt put_user exploit...
ioctl: Bad address

Attempt perf_swevent exploit...

failed to open /dev/diag due to Permission denied.
uid=2000(shell) gid=2000(shell) groups=1003(graphics),1004(input),1007(log),1009
(mount),1011(adb),1015(sdcard_rw),1028(sdcard_r),3001(net_bt_admin),3002(net_bt)
,3003(inet),3006(net_bw_stats)
Premere un tasto per continuare . . .

Kindle hdx 8,9

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
i even tried Kingo Root...and none of it's exploits worked :\

Pretty much anything compiled to root another device or older firmware, isn't going to get you anywhere.

However, in going thru some M8 stuff & looking at firewater & jcases temp root, I may have found something similar that will work for the HDX. I need to hunt down a few things & see if I can get beaups to compile it for me once I know whether or not it will work.

jjrizzelcincy

Mar 19, 2011
cincinnati
Pretty much anything compiled to root another device or older firmware, isn't going to get you anywhere.

However, in going thru some M8 stuff & looking at firewater & jcases temp root, I may have found something similar that will work for the HDX. I need to hunt down a few things & see if I can get beaups to compile it for me once I know whether or not it will work.

i would love to have those two on this device
in the phone world i only use htc and these guys are the life line of hacked htc devices,i so wish we could persuade them to help us on this device
one can only hope !!

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
i would love to have those two on this device
in the phone world i only use htc and these guys are the life line of hacked htc devices,i so wish we could persuade them to help us on this device
one can only hope !!

Actually, it was Beaups that compiled the first root. At any rate, I have some hex surfing & re-addressing to do before I can give it a try. Maybe this weekend.

Reactions: mrstimpy

jjrizzelcincy

Mar 19, 2011
cincinnati
Actually, it was Beaups that compiled the first root. At any rate, I have some hex surfing & re-addressing to do before I can give it a try. Maybe this weekend.

yeah i know Beaups is the man,, all of those guys have been doing awesome stuff for HTC users for a long time ,,,helping with root and bootloaders
it would be awesome to have them on this device i guess i got spoiled with always having an HTC device

rootcid

Dec 3, 2013
Hate to dound pessimistic but this device looks like a dead end in terms of development, even though its crying out. There just havent been enough sales I guess.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    sa·yo·na·ra
    ˌsīəˈnärə/
    i even tried Kingo Root...and none of it's exploits worked :\

does Safe Mode give us any chance of rooting?

what the heck is safe mode anyways?

No. Safe Mode essentially disables third party drivers & apps so you can see if the device boots & runs using the stock components. It's primary use is to troubleshoot third party apps.

I'll get back to this eventually, but it's a bit tough going right now, since I am very busy at work & since I don't have a device that is both updated & un-rooted (not one that is mine, tho I may have access to one this weekend). I am running the 14.3.2.1 firmware rooted in a rom-slot currently, but I never allowed the second reboot, so I was able to re-install & root everything. When I get some time to get back to it, I'll let you know & probably kick it out to a small group for testing.
    Perspective and sense of humor are amazing things, are they not? Sorry that you seemed bothered by those that don't match yours.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Yeah yeah, they are great. But pointless rantings that just clutter up a thread on a specific topic, well, that is not where they belong. I get it, evryone wants to stand out & seek attention & maybe some users here have not been around long enough to even grasp why & how XDA came to be, but I can assure you it wasn't born out of a desire to provide a medium for smartass comments. Really, doesn't Facebook, G+ & Twitter provide enough of an avenue for that?

Oh well, ya'all can keep it up & even keep sending me the PM's, because I don't care for it (again, remind me why differing opinions are okay?) :rolleyes: . That's fine, I really don't care, nor do I have the inclination to waste any more time on the subject. My device is exactly where I want it & the PM's do nothing but discourage me from continuing any further.
    NO MORE!

I am working on a fix. It is not with this exploit, it is no longer there. I think I have found a way to allow you to install the recent update again & use Amazon's sloppy method against them to achieve root. It's a pretty easy method, if it works, & it only requires you to update & install a few apk's.

When I am ready, I will need ONE or TWO willing to test it. Shouldn't be any real risk, since I am only using stock Amazon firmware, just swapping one component for another.

If you understand logcat & know how to use ADB (which will only be needed if there is an issue), then post below. It will not be before Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning that I am ready to give it a try, so don't expect an immediate response.