• I don't like TouchWiz that much

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I don't like TouchWiz at all

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

alone-together

Jan 7, 2014
I really don't mind TouchWiz myself. Since I came from an LG G2 which had a godawful stock interface this phone felt like a breath of fresh air. I use Nova Launcher so I'm not exposed much to a lot of TouchWiz but I think it is fluid overall. If Samsung would cut down on the bloat apps like Google has it would be great. I also miss the quick settings of AOSP, the implementation on this phone gets the job done though. Overall I'm alright with it but I hope we see improvements.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

USBhost

Recognized Contributor
Oct 23, 2013
u:r:usbhost:s0
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 12
I really don't mind TouchWiz myself. Since I came from an LG G2 which had a godawful stock interface this phone felt like a breath of fresh air. I use Nova Launcher so I'm not exposed much to a lot of TouchWiz but I think it is fluid overall. If Samsung would cut down on the bloat apps like Google has it would be great. I also miss the quick settings of AOSP, the implementation on this phone gets the job done though. Overall I'm alright with it but I hope we see improvements.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
I hear you there.
quick settings of AOSP is awesome

Lorettaa

Feb 5, 2014
iloilo
What I noticed was the large storage consumption and not good for battery life. I remember reading one of the comments here in XDA that TW slow downed his beast phone GN3.

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
What I noticed was the large storage consumption and not good for battery life. I remember reading one of the comments here in XDA that TW slow downed his beast phone GN3.

TW isnt an issue for me though i do use Nova Prime. Before I put Nova on the Note 3 was supremely fast without any lag that i could notice. I then activated the developer options and i set all 3 animations to x.5, with that, no root needed and the Note 3 is probably the fastest phone out there. At least until there are SD 805's out there. once Nova is on the phone, forget it, it's as smooth as butter.

I'm really not a fan of ASOP anymore. I used to use it on my Bionic but with S4 and now the Note 3, I have enjoyed TW mostly. I just cant stand how ASOP just looks like a old and dated UI. It's so basic and boring (like settings and the toggles) that it just looks like something a 10 year old would make. lol to me it's like watching an old 70's or 80's TV show today. You look at it and you can tell it's not current. I just like how a UI looks, not like a fisher price look like the S5 but not bland like ASOP either.

Battery life on stock rooted and debloated i was still getting like 8 hours of screen time. So the battery wasn't an issue for me from the get go.

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
I hate TouchWiz with all my mind.
I hate apple with all my mind and soul.

Well the reason why I don't like touchwiz is because it reminds me of apple
And its just so hard to work with and I'm bound by it because I need WiFi calling.
I grew up with the Google version of Android
Its so nice and fun to use. it looks complex but it's simple and in a nice format.
But TouchWiz looks too simple/complex and in a bad format.
Also TouchWiz is full of stuff I don't even know that its for and it takes so much
Room 1.5g+ but in Google version of Android its 150mb+ now that's a big difference.
It almost seems like TouchWiz ROMs are built with apps there are like 300+ apps in a
TouchWiz ROM, but in a true android rom its like 50+ apps. If your like me who deletes
Apps that I don't need that will be a problem with TouchWiz roms. The apps are the firmware that will make deleting apps with a lot more consequence. And with all those apps it will bring down the performance of your phone.

writing this down helped me relieve my frustrations with TouchWiz.
Share your experience with your TouchWiz experience so we can all suffer together.
If you love TouchWiz tell us why.
I look forward to hear your thoughts.
Cheers

Wow...there are a lot of misconceptions here.
First you do not need a Touchwiz phone to have wifi calling. The Xperia Z1S, the HTC One M8, LG G2, Flex, Optimus and other phones support wifi calling...Google phones do not because they get their software from Google without the carrier files. So you are not stuck with Touchwiz.
The amount of apps on your phone do not impede performance. It would be the amount of apps running and syncing that would do that.
Touchwiz is a UI...not just apps or the launcher as someone mentioned using Nova...you are still on Touchwiz..just not the TW launcher.
So it is true that a UI sitting on top of a base OS can only slow things down a little...think Windows on top of DOS for us old folks.
As TW phones are made for the common folk, there are a lot of included TW tied in apps for the general consumer so they do not have to spend hours searching Play for that perfect Sticky note app, or music player, or whatever...These apps can certainly be removed or frozen.
Also included in the 1.5GB of OS is all the carrier support files and all the Google Apps...that 150MB you mention for AOSP has no Gapps included.
I, too have tried AOSP ROMs...and found them to be no different with how they operate except all the nice shortcuts are gone and all the TW apps and widgets too. All are very Apple-like to me. I always got the best battery life on ROMs based on stock (TW).

Last edited:
Reactions: padre629

USBhost

Recognized Contributor
Oct 23, 2013
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 12
First you do not need a Touchwiz phone to have wifi calling. The Xperia Z1S, the HTC One M8, LG G2, Flex, Optimus and other phones support wifi calling...Google phones do not because they get their software from Google without the carrier files. So you are not stuck with Touchwiz.
The amount of apps on your phone do not impede performance. It would be the amount of apps running and syncing that would do that.
Touchwiz is a UI...not just apps or the launcher as someone mentioned using Nova...you are still on Touchwiz..just not the TW launcher.
So it is true that a UI sitting on top of a base OS can only slow things down a little...think Windows on top of DOS for us old folks.
As TW phones are made for the common folk, there are a lot of included TW tied in apps for the general consumer so they do not have to spend hours searching Play for that perfect Sticky note app, or music player, or whatever...These apps can certainly be removed or frozen.
Also included in the 1.5GB of OS is all the carrier support files and all the Google Apps...that 150MB you mention for AOSP has no Gapps included.
I, too have tried AOSP ROMs...and found them to be no different with how they operate except all the nice shortcuts are gone and all the TW apps and widgets too. All are very Apple-like to me. I always got the best battery life on ROMs based on stock (TW).
Yes it's true there are misconceptions but that's how it see things.
But When you said I don't need a TouchWiz to have wifi calling sns/mms that's true but I don't have those phones
And what did you mean about "carrier support files"
So wifi calling uses a Giga of Space

Last edited:

USBhost

Recognized Contributor
Oct 23, 2013
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 12
No offence but this is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. Please do tell how vastly different and inferior TW reminds you of anything that apple puts out. Do tell.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
No offence taken but I just want you to understand

Every one has there different feelings
TW is different to Apple that's a given
Its just TW is closer to apples ui

I'm just Apple hater that's me
So if something is close to Apple I just don't like it

Last edited:

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
But When you said I don't need a TouchWiz to have wifi calling sns/mms that's true but I don't have those phones
And what did you mean about "carrier support files".

No offence but this is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. Please do tell how vastly different and inferior TW reminds you of anything that apple puts out. Do tell.

lol sorry but i have to ask as well. You say "inferior" to Apple, I'd have to say that's inaccurate but subjective at best. If you mean inferior to an OS that is basically nothing but an app drawer, then ok I guess.

Reactions: kabuk1

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!

Carrier support files are all those wonderful things you guys like like CIQ, and can't speak for T-mobile but Sprint adds things like Sprint Zone, Sprint Connection Optimizer and many more..so T-mobile has their own brand of similar files.

You complained about Touchwiz...is this your first Touchwiz phone? You stated you had to have it..I guess if you are stuck with this phone then yes..even the Nexus 5 does not have wifi calling and there is nothing they can do about it..so at least you have a choice. If this is not your first Touchwiz phone then...why?

Wifi calling does not use a gig of space...however Google apps and Touchwiz apps and support files together do. Samsung is lazy...if you ever decompile one of their apps you will see 1000's of icons that are never used...because the same TW app works on the other carrier phones as well as many other models so the icon packs included have to cover many resolutions so there are redundant folders. It is not cost effective to them to trim down all these apps and custom tune them for each phone they include them on...and then they would have to do the same for each update. Regardless, they do steal a little less than a GB of internal storage space. If you were to take an AOSP ROM, add gapps, and also download an equivalent app from Play for what is included in Touchwiz ROMs you would start nearing the same size. Debloated TW ROMs are about half the size of full stock.

Rickdaddy

Nov 5, 2011
Don't like the idea of being stuck with TW. I actually prefer AOSP but on the note3, TW is just so much smoother and has everything I need and there aren't any problems. I love how I can use the full function of the phones (s-pen and things affiliate with it) without worrying to find good working apps that would be as remotely easy to use).

Even before my root and custom rom installation, my stock note 3 was as smooth as butter. So all in all, TW doesn't bother me as much as it does some people.

Techniques

Jul 14, 2012
I don't see why you don't just flash a Aosp theme if you don't like the look of touchwiz. I'm all for AOSP but there are just things that touchwiz has that makes me want to stay like Pen window.

messiahfreedom

Oct 30, 2013
Brooklyn
Well in my experience , touchwiz isn't all that bad at all. It does lag here and there but with the right kernel and rom, it is very much usable and fluid. I used to use Nova exclusively but after going back to touchwiz these past fewweeks, I realized it's pretty good.

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Well in my experience , touchwiz isn't all that bad at all. It does lag here and there but with the right kernel and rom, it is very much usable and fluid. I used to use Nova exclusively but after going back to touchwiz these past fewweeks, I realized it's pretty good.

OK...again...Touchwiz is a UI. Nova replaces the TW Launcher...not Touchwiz itself....the slide to call or message, settings options, the apps that are TW exclusive and much more is Touchwiz.

messiahfreedom

Oct 30, 2013
Brooklyn
Oh my bad. You meant the touchwiz as a whole. Well, as a whole. Anyway touchwiz for the most part is simple enough. It takes some playing with in order to realize it's features, but for the most part it is alright. It's more simple than what the iPhone offers, at least in my opinion.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Carrier support files are all those wonderful things you guys like like CIQ, and can't speak for T-mobile but Sprint adds things like Sprint Zone, Sprint Connection Optimizer and many more..so T-mobile has their own brand of similar files.

You complained about Touchwiz...is this your first Touchwiz phone? You stated you had to have it..I guess if you are stuck with this phone then yes..even the Nexus 5 does not have wifi calling and there is nothing they can do about it..so at least you have a choice. If this is not your first Touchwiz phone then...why?

Wifi calling does not use a gig of space...however Google apps and Touchwiz apps and support files together do. Samsung is lazy...if you ever decompile one of their apps you will see 1000's of icons that are never used...because the same TW app works on the other carrier phones as well as many other models so the icon packs included have to cover many resolutions so there are redundant folders. It is not cost effective to them to trim down all these apps and custom tune them for each phone they include them on...and then they would have to do the same for each update. Regardless, they do steal a little less than a GB of internal storage space. If you were to take an AOSP ROM, add gapps, and also download an equivalent app from Play for what is included in Touchwiz ROMs you would start nearing the same size. Debloated TW ROMs are about half the size of full stock.
    I hate TouchWiz with all my mind.
    I hate apple with all my mind and soul.

And its just so hard to work with and I'm bound by it because I need WiFi calling.
    I grew up with the Google version of Android
    Its so nice and fun to use. it looks complex but it's simple and in a nice format.
    But TouchWiz looks too simple/complex and in a bad format.
    Also TouchWiz is full of stuff I don't even know that its for and it takes so much
    Room 1.5g+ but in Google version of Android its 150mb+ now that's a big difference.
    It almost seems like TouchWiz ROMs are built with apps there are like 300+ apps in a
    TouchWiz ROM, but in a true android rom its like 50+ apps. If your like me who deletes
    Apps that I don't need that will be a problem with TouchWiz roms. The apps are the firmware that will make deleting apps with a lot more consequence. And with all those apps it will bring down the performance of your phone.

writing this down helped me relieve my frustrations with TouchWiz.
    Share your experience with your TouchWiz experience so we can all suffer together.
    If you love TouchWiz tell us why.
    I look forward to hear your thoughts.
    Cheers

And what did you mean about "carrier support files".

lol sorry but i have to ask as well. You say "inferior" to Apple, I'd have to say that's inaccurate but subjective at best. If you mean inferior to an OS that is basically nothing but an app drawer, then ok I guess.
    I love the look and function. Especially the weather widget, Spen, and keyboard.