[Q] Downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.3?

Search This thread

hacktrix2006

Jan 15, 2011
You can downgrade via downloading the Stock 4.3 files from the SuperTool site by tom and flash that via fastboot. But be careful you can brick the tablet.

hacktrix2006

Jan 15, 2011
If you have OTA'd past 4.3 its just a simple download the images from toms server for 4.3 and fastboot flash them.

You can get the stock 4.3 images from : http://rootjunkysdl.com/?device=Tegra Note 7&folder=Roms Stock 4.3.

These files here is infact CWM/TWRP flashable zips so its just a case of unlocking the bootloader and flashing either CWM or TWRP then placing the stock 4.3 rom zip onto a SDCard and flashing it.

But before you flash the zip make totally sure you wipe the following partitions

Boot
System
Cache
UserData

This will downgrade you back to 4.3

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2013
If you have OTA'd past 4.3 its just a simple download the images from toms server for 4.3 and fastboot flash them.

You can get the stock 4.3 images from : http://rootjunkysdl.com/?device=Tegra Note 7&folder=Roms Stock 4.3.

These files here is infact CWM/TWRP flashable zips so its just a case of unlocking the bootloader and flashing either CWM or TWRP then placing the stock 4.3 rom zip onto a SDCard and flashing it.

But before you flash the zip make totally sure you wipe the following partitions

Boot
System
Cache
UserData

Does this mean you have to unlock your bootloader?

nielo360

Mar 5, 2011
Im getting terrible battery life, I got it new and updated to 4.4,

with playing gangstar vegas and answering email i got on only about 4 hours on 30% brightness balanced mode

is this normal?

chp2

Jan 17, 2013
Im getting terrible battery life, I got it new and updated to 4.4,

with playing gangstar vegas and answering email i got on only about 4 hours on 30% brightness balanced mode

is this normal?

I don't know if it apply to our device but it mean (on the readings) that KitKat suffer of a serious bug : The OS doesn't let some apps to go to deep sleep and the Wakelock are terrible.

That point and some others (more personnal) make me think to revert to 4.3

nielo360

Mar 5, 2011
there is nothing on nvidia's offical site, I dont know if they are still supporting the device to fix this issue. I will try reverting to 4.3 and see how it goes, The nvidia shield has the same issue in 4.4

chp2

Jan 17, 2013

Boot
System
Cache
UserData

Please can you describe the exact process to downgrade to 4.3. I'm affraid to brick my device.

And do you think after downgrade, the CWM backups are compatible? I mean : I want to be able to restore 4.3 or 4.4 as I wish in order to do testings?

hacktrix2006

Jan 15, 2011
@chp2 if your afraid of bricking your tablet then why are you after downgrading your tablet in the first place.

Look its format

System
Cache
UserData

Then flash the 4.3 Stock zip and boom your on 4.3. CWM backups will still work regardless of what OS your so long as your using the Custom Recovery.
But as i said if your frightened of bricking your tablet you shouldn't be doing this.

Reactions: chp2

chp2

Jan 17, 2013
@chp2 if your afraid of bricking your tablet then why are you after downgrading your tablet in the first place.

Look its format

System
Cache
UserData

Then flash the 4.3 Stock zip and boom your on 4.3. CWM backups will still work regardless of what OS your so long as your using the Custom Recovery.
But as i said if your frightened of bricking your tablet you shouldn't be doing this.

LOL, But thanks for your help.

For me the TN7 is new and since I'm not yet familiar with it I prefer to be carefull.

And I prefer to ask before doing bad things. Perhaps in some days I'll laugh of it :D

hacktrix2006

Jan 15, 2011
LOL, i understand what you mean. But for me it was first day i got it, I rooted it and was messing with APX off the bat. Yes my first one failed because of faulty hardware so i got it replaced and yet again i Rooted it and started messing with going back and forth between 4.3 and 4.4.2.

Everything will break at one point in its life time. Tablets and phones are there to be abused mate,

If you end up in a reboot loop so long as you have your 4.4.2 backup your can just restore that and your be working again. If you brick you have APX to fix it.

subzero82

Jul 27, 2009
Pruszcz Gdański
Hello.Succsesfull downgraded from 4.4 to 4.3 after hour of fighting,couple of restoring backups,using supertool 1.5(i dont know does it help,nothing was happening).I was using hacktrix2006 instruction.

subzero82

Jul 27, 2009
Pruszcz Gdański
I think that supertool maybe change bootloader and flash zip through twrp.

Update
Flashed 4.4 zip through TWRP,cleared System Cache UserData ,restored bacup of 4.3(error if try to install stock 4.3 without restoring),flashed stock 4.3 zip.Thanks for help.

Last edited:

chp2

Jan 17, 2013
LOL, i understand what you mean. But for me it was first day i got it, I rooted it and was messing with APX off the bat. Yes my first one failed because of faulty hardware so i got it replaced and yet again i Rooted it and started messing with going back and forth between 4.3 and 4.4.2.

Everything will break at one point in its life time. Tablets and phones are there to be abused mate,

If you end up in a reboot loop so long as you have your 4.4.2 backup your can just restore that and your be working again. If you brick you have APX to fix it.

Finally.
I managed to downgrade to 4.3 and to block OTA popups.

I got some thrils when I had to re-install CWM but everything went ok.
Until now, no problems to report.

Thanks again hacktrix2006 :good:

hacktrix2006

Jan 15, 2011
no problems. I hope you just chmoded the file TegraOTA.apk in the /system/app folder (I think it was there)

If not the best way to disable OTA's is using the following command as SU

chmod 000 /system/app/TegraOTA.apk then reboot the tablet.

This will then keep the file there but make it so that it can't be read wrote to or even execute. Then if you want to OTA again you just change it back to chmod 644 /system/app/TegraOTA.apk and reboot again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Look its format

System
    Cache
    UserData

@ZubZero82 So you ended up flashing via fastboot then ??
    Simply type as root the following

To kill the OTA System
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    then
    chmod 000 /systemapp/TegraOTA.apk

To reenable to the OTA System
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    then
    chmod 644 /systemapp/TegraOTA.apk