Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: Can the Android interface/browser scrolling/zooming be improved (iPhone-like)?
Yes and I'm praying for that every night! 69 55.65%
No, the scrolling/zooming will be jerky forever... 20 16.13%
Who cares? It's smooth enough for me... 35 28.23%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply

Android as smooth as iPhone?

OP mardurhack

14th January 2011, 05:28 PM   |  #21  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
35 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Sticking to the discussion, the simple answer is iOS is smoother because it uses the GPU to render the UI. Android, on the other hand, mostly uses the CPU. IMHO Android will soon lose a large percentage of their customers as more people become aware of this issue. Consumers don't care about the cause, they just want something that delivers a UI user experience on par with the market leader (there's a good reason why they're the market leader). The fact that Google have managed to con millions into buying in to the Android hype falls nothing short of astonishing. The Nexus S campaign in a perfect example: rarely (if ever) show the handsets scrolling a web page or menus.

Android is a great platform, but the benefits of Android are negated by the sluggish choppy UI that completely destroys the user experience. Do a Google search for "Android Issue 6914" and you'll get the idea.

Here's a simple test: go to the Engadget desktop (classic) page and scroll/zoom around. Make sure flash add-on is disabled.

The best improvement in this area I have personally seen to date is Android 2.2.1 running on a Galaxy S. It's not perfect, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. I admire Samsung for listening to consumers and at least making an effort (not easy considering this issue is the result of an Android architectural design flaw).

It looks like Google have addressed this issue with Honeycomb, but it also looks like Honeycomb is exclusively for tablets. Hopefully this fix will trickle down into Android handsets. I've been eagerly awaiting a fix each and every update, but each time am left feeling disappointed. Until Google addresses this issue, they've lost a customer here.
Last edited by scott.deagan; 14th January 2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Typo
15th January 2011, 01:36 AM   |  #22  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 242
 
1,377 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Why does everyone feel the need to compare android and Iphone?

If you want a device and don't care about it being the epitome of conformity, then get an iPhone.. i personally think an overclocked hero with a custom rom is just as smooth, and a much better experience.. I'm so sick of this discussion.
18th January 2011, 11:02 AM   |  #23  
pikacz's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
86 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
i wonder why nobody mentioned wp7 in this thread yet it's just as smooth as iOS and comes with a new wonderfully refreshing ui
26th January 2012, 06:29 AM   |  #24  
devilex94's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 389
 
329 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikacz

i wonder why nobody mentioned wp7 in this thread yet it's just as smooth as iOS and comes with a new wonderfully refreshing ui

Do you said "new wonderfull refreshing ui" !!!! You must be kidding man
That UI is waste for me.
try this website if you want a demo of wp7
http://aka.ms/wpdemo
go through your phone browser
26th January 2012, 09:13 AM   |  #25  
pikacz's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
86 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
wow! it's been a year since my post, and through all that time i had my mozart and i still love everything about it. you have your opinion and i have mine, nothing wrong with that
26th January 2012, 02:23 PM   |  #26  
Habarug's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bergen
Thanks Meter: 416
 
1,672 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikacz

wow! it's been a year since my post, and through all that time i had my mozart and i still love everything about it. you have your opinion and i have mine, nothing wrong with that

Wp7 seems really nice, but I'm a flashmaniac so It's too locked for me ;)

Sent from my Hero using XDA App
10th February 2012, 09:57 AM   |  #27  
tR0ARKE's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Mandaluyong
Thanks Meter: 2
 
21 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
More
If you want smoother scrolling you could use this [HOWTO]More smooth scroll & volume step increase for MOST android phones
2nd May 2012, 03:18 AM   |  #28  
Senior Member
Flag netanya
Thanks Meter: 104
 
413 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
Wink Yes it can be smooth as iphone if not smoother!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mardurhack

I'm watching some videos on youtube...You know, usuals "dogfights" between Hero, iPhone, Milestone/Droid etc. and I'm really starting to get nervous...WHY iPhone HAS A SO SMOOTHER SCROLLING THAN ANY OTHER ANDROID PHONE ON THE MARKET??...While on the iPhone you get a smooth zooming and scrolling both if the page is in overview or with an initial zoom.

...I haven't seen Froyo yet but I don't think they properly solved the problem...Any idea?

did you ever zoom an iphone and noticed what happens? its blurry and than reloaded... like you are scrolling/zooming a photo...(btw if you zoom in and than out in a heavy page like desktop youtube or something the iphone 4g will get stuck and wont respond for about 5 secs! wont happen on android!) oh and ios DOESN'T MULTITASK! (that tray is just a fast app switcher the apps are frozen...)

in android u are actually viewing/zooming the internet in its vectoric form(like the pc) hence the jerkyness(boat browser is the fastest in that style)...
well what if you used that iphone trick on android? well u can!
opera mini(next) is doing just that! and what you get is an android device scrolling zooming panning and reloading the image faster and prettier than iphone with smooth silky transition animations and multi tabbing!
was tried on defy and its smooth even on 300-600 mhz ics!
(i have an ipod 4g hence i know what is going on there)

NOTE: OPERA MOBILE IS HEAVY AND VECTORIC! ONLY THE MINI USES THIS GENIUS RENDERING ENGINE!(btw the sgs2 does that too)
oh and opera mini has no flash support.... just like the iphone(i think they should merge opera mobile with mini's rendering engine)

---------- Post added at 03:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.deagan

Sticking to the discussion, the simple answer is iOS is smoother because it uses the GPU to render the UI. Android, on the other hand, mostly uses the CPU. IMHO Android will soon lose a large percentage of their customers as more people become aware of this issue. Consumers don't care about the cause, they just want something that delivers a UI user experience on par with the market leader (there's a good reason why they're the market leader). The fact that Google have managed to con millions into buying in to the Android hype falls nothing short of astonishing. The Nexus S campaign in a perfect example: rarely (if ever) show the handsets scrolling a web page or menus.

Android is a great platform, but the benefits of Android are negated by the sluggish choppy UI that completely destroys the user experience. Do a Google search for "Android Issue 6914" and you'll get the idea.

Here's a simple test: go to the Engadget desktop (classic) page and scroll/zoom around. Make sure flash add-on is disabled.

The best improvement in this area I have personally seen to date is Android 2.2.1 running on a Galaxy S. It's not perfect, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. I admire Samsung for listening to consumers and at least making an effort (not easy considering this issue is the result of an Android architectural design flaw).

It looks like Google have addressed this issue with Honeycomb, but it also looks like Honeycomb is exclusively for tablets. Hopefully this fix will trickle down into Android handsets. I've been eagerly awaiting a fix each and every update, but each time am left feeling disappointed. Until Google addresses this issue, they've lost a customer here.


dude have you ever tried changing the launcher and the browser?

opera mini is waaaay smoother and fast scroller than iphone!(one flick to end a page! and its 60 fps! no matter the page!)
iphone will freeze for about 5 secs if you zoom in release and than out in heavy websites!
try full engadget on iphone and then on android opera mini...
see for yourself! android pwns ios here!
do the zoom test... ios will get stuck(for abot 3 secs each zoom) android will keep rerendering smoothly no probs!

TRY LAUNCHER PRO or 7launcher for smooth ui...
menus? you are screwed... its app dependent not android... if u notice tryand open up the hide apps menu in launcher pro(preferences>general>hide apps)
its the smoothest thing you will ever see!
than open up some other jurky menus that have no reason for lag... not android problem! devs problem!
Last edited by yossi2010; 2nd May 2012 at 01:01 PM.
5th May 2012, 04:11 AM   |  #29  
Senior Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 37
 
226 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
I know this is an old thread but it might explain how the Iphone does it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02...le_626_patent/
9th May 2012, 11:23 AM   |  #30  
Senior Member
Flag Zurich
Thanks Meter: 10
 
182 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
I'm a big Android fan but I think we have to admit it, android phones scrolling not enough smooth like Iphone's.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes