[HOW TO / GUIDE] Format Micro SD FAT32 (Windows) - VERIZON

Search This thread

onebelo

Dec 22, 2010
FL
has anyone had their files on the 64gb card not showing up when Phone is connected to PC or got corrupted where the phone shows the filenames but when you click it, it says "No Files" instead of a pop-up window asking you which app you want to open it with?

This happens to me with music or video files.

I tried formatting it a couple times through the phone and initially will play and load the files I have on there. And seems like after I connect the phone to the PC, some files will suddenly not load anymore while others are okay.

If I browse the 64gb card through the PC, not all files will show up while some do. Yet I can see them on my phone.

I'll try to format it as fat32 when I get home to see if the problem persists.... luckily i hvaent put too much data on the 64gb card yet.

motempo

Mar 21, 2010
Maumelle, AR
I just formatted my 32GB sandisc mobile ultra using this fat32 format tool, and CWM still won't read my external sd. anyone have any insight?

jlokos

May 27, 2011
Willamette Valley
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Make sure you have the most recent version of CWM for our phone ... I have the touch version (v5.8.4.5) installed.

Earlier versions would not pick up any external SD card, no matter how it was formatted.

I know you guys are talking about 32 and 64 gig sd cards, but I have an issue with a small 8 gig card. I'm using the latest CWM non-touch downloaded from rom manager. I would like to put data and nandroid backups on my ext-sd card. I formatted the card using the phone. My CWM doesn't show any option to restore or backup to the ext-sd card. Do I need to reformat to Fat32 on the PC in order to get this working? Thanks for your help.

pdinphx

I think that version of CWM might be the problem. Try the latest touch version ...

Goto Play and download VZW G3 EZ-Recovery. You can get and install the recovery using the program.

Then try finding your external sd card.

Last edited:

EndlessDissent

Oct 18, 2010
Chicago
It's not a matter of a specific ROM being able to read it, it's a matter of external storage not being recognized by your recovery(only sees fat & fat32 at /mnt/sdcard), and the OS cannot see external storage formatted as ext2/3/4, only FAT, FAT32, & exFAT.
:rolleyes: not my best explanation ever :eek:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Can you prove that Android doesn't read ext-formatted cards? I don't see why ext4 wouldn't work, especially since that's how the internal storage is formatted. As long as the kernel supports the filesystem, you should be able to use it. Since I have no card reader to format my card on my computer, I can't test right now. Otherwise, I would.

tillithz

Sep 4, 2009
Oakland
Can you prove that Android doesn't read ext-formatted cards? I don't see why ext4 wouldn't work, especially since that's how the internal storage is formatted. As long as the kernel supports the filesystem, you should be able to use it. Since I have no card reader to format my card on my computer, I can't test right now. Otherwise, I would.

I can confirm twrp doesnt see the card formated as ext3

EndlessDissent

Oct 18, 2010
Chicago
I can confirm twrp doesnt see the card formated as ext3

Interesting. However, internal storage is formatted as ext4, so I'm thinking there's no reason for TWRP or CWM to not work with a microSD card formatted as such. I could still be wrong. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a new microSD card that comes with a USB card reader, so I'll be able to test, but it might be a few days until I buy it, let alone receive it.

tillithz

Sep 4, 2009
Oakland
Interesting. However, internal storage is formatted as ext4, so I'm thinking there's no reason for TWRP or CWM to not work with a microSD card formatted as such. I could still be wrong. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a new microSD card that comes with a USB card reader, so I'll be able to test, but it might be a few days until I buy it, let alone receive it.

point being it doesnt recognize it. maybe an update to twrp? dont know but it plain doesnt see it as is right now.

EndlessDissent

Oct 18, 2010
Chicago
Huh? Not entirely sure what you're saying. My point was that just because TWRP has trouble with an ext3 card, it doesn't mean it would have problems with ext4. It makes sense to not include support for ext3 since it takes up valuable kernel space and isn't used much anymore, but TWRP needs to support ext4 for the internal filesystem. The support should be there, meaning TWRP should read cards formatted with ext4.

Excelsius

Aug 11, 2010
I understand the steps involved; however, there is a tiny problem: my phone is NOT mounted under any drive letters. Here is the location of my SD card on my computer: Computer\SGH-T999\Card. How the hell am I supposed to format this using CMD or that programs when there is no drive letter? There is an option to format using right click menu, but it doesn't bring up formatting options. Only formats it and that's it.

I have a 16GB card. OS is Windows 7 64bit Ultimate. I can't make a Nandroid backup because the SD card is apparently not in FAT32. And yes, I also formatted using the Android system. Still doesn't work.

I have the pro version of Titanium back up. Is there any way to do a nandroid backup using that so I avoid all this FAT32 headache? What are the solutions here?

Thanks.

pdinphx

You can't format the card while it is still in the phone ... Get a card reader.

Or, if you are only concerned about nandroid backups, most custom recoveries have an option to save to your internal card.

ROM Manager performs backups to your internal card by default.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Brian Gove

Jul 26, 2012
Land of Oz
I understand the steps involved; however, there is a tiny problem: my phone is NOT mounted under any drive letters. Here is the location of my SD card on my computer: Computer\SGH-T999\Card. How the hell am I supposed to format this using CMD or that programs when there is no drive letter? There is an option to format using right click menu, but it doesn't bring up formatting options. Only formats it and that's it.

I have a 16GB card. OS is Windows 7 64bit Ultimate. I can't make a Nandroid backup because the SD card is apparently not in FAT32. And yes, I also formatted using the Android system. Still doesn't work.

I have the pro version of Titanium back up. Is there any way to do a nandroid backup using that so I avoid all this FAT32 headache? What are the solutions here?

Thanks.

To do the formatting mentioned in the OP you need to remove the card from the phone then plug it into an adapter on/in your computer.

And yes, TiBu does satisfy most backup needs. Easiest way to explain it is that a nandroid is a digital 'photograph' of your phone, EVERYTHING on the system partition. TiBu takes and backs up the individual applications. IMHO I don't do nandroids, just use TiBu because the backups, for the most part, are usable on multiple diff ROMs whereas the nandroid replaces the ROM with whatever one you had when you did the backup when you restore it.

Reactions: mister.tech-e

luland

Jan 12, 2012
so does right clicking in explorer window and going to format in FAT32 on windows 7 acceptable? is it just that it is not as quick as downloading another program to format the card?

Is my card still formatted in FAT32? or do I need to reformat using a different method?

imablackhat

Sep 15, 2005
www.zevink.com
I just got my 16gb today and popped it in the phone and formatted and started to use it. What's wrong with this method

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Brian Gove

Jul 26, 2012
Land of Oz
so does right clicking in explorer window and going to format in FAT32 on windows 7 acceptable? is it just that it is not as quick as downloading another program to format the card?

Is my card still formatted in FAT32? or do I need to reformat using a different method?

Windows 7 doesn't have the option top do fat32

feom

Jul 16, 2012
gui method worked for me

The command line method failed for me, (and took forever) but the gui method worked great my 64 gb card wasn't being recognized my cwm or beans ROM when it was exFAT. Now everything seems to be working fine.

Excelsius

Aug 11, 2010
I don't get why we can't format into FAT32 right from the phone. I have to get a microSD adapter now, but what if my laptop/PC didn't have an SD slot? This is crazy.

Another thing: with all those great features, I don't understand why Titanium Backup can't do a simple ROM backup. Yes, backing up the applications is nice, but just like Windows, I'd like to be able to reimage my entire phone every year to ensure best performance. Titanium Backup obviously can't do it. So we're stuck either with CWM nandroid backup, which has a bad interface and doesn't support exFAT, or have to pay for yet some other app to do this. Unless I'm missing something.

By the way, does "Backup Current ROM" from inside CWM interface work or do we have to boot to recovery to make a proper nandroid backup?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, I've got a new SanDisk 64gb Class 10 micro SD and want to use it for app and data storage, as well as for nandroid recoveries.

Unfortunately, the stock format - exFAT - is not recognized by many apps or by any of our custom recoveries.

Now, you've got two virtually bulletproof options to reformat that disk to FAT32 ... you choose your poison.

**************** HARDCORE *******************

I call this the "Use your teeth to open that bottle of beer" method ...

1. Place the card in your PC's card reader and determine the drive designation (i.e., G:\, H:\, etc.)

2. Download the program Fat32Format to your PC from here: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm. The download link is actually situated about mid-page.

3. Unzip the downloaded file with 7Zip (which you can get here: http://www.7-zip.org/)

4. Navigate to the folder with the unzipped fat32format.exe file; while holding down the [Shift] key, right click on the folder.

5. A menu should popup. Scroll down and click on <Open Command Window Here>.

6. You are now in virtual DOS (.. don't be scared ..)

7. Enter the following command sequence> fat32format h: (or whatever drive designates the location of your SD card)

8. You will be prompted to confirm a wipe and format of your SD card. Type "y" and hit enter.

9. In approximately 5 seconds, your SD card will be FAT32 formatted.

10. Remember to follow whatever procedure you normally would before removing a drive from USB.

***************** EASY PEASY ******************

This, on the other hand, is the "my hands are as soft as a baby's bottom" method ... (thanks to lynkdead)

1. Place the card in your PC's card reader and determine the drive designation (i.e., G:\, H:\, etc.)

2. Download the fat32format utility in GUI version from here: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.exe. Click on the picture to retrieve the file.

3. Launch the guiformat.exe.

4. Choose the drive that corresponds to your SD card.

5. Choose the size of the SD Card you are formatting.

5. Check the Quick Format box.

6. Press Start.

And voila !!!

Enjoy your new SD card !!!

Pj
    Phoenix, AZ

p.s. Needless to say, this process will erase all data on the card. Also, you will no longer be able to transfer files larger than 4gb to the card.
    http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.exe

If you use the GUI version from the same website it's WAY easier.

Just launch the .exe, choose the drive that corresponds to your SD card, make sure Quick Format is checked, and press start.
    Custom Recovery and 64g Sandisk Micro SDXC Class 10

First off I have used many different Roms and I am not sure if this applies specifically to this ROM or not as far as this method only working but I honestly think that it should not make a difference what ROM you are running. However the recovery and Kernel that you are using could make a considerable difference.

Currently Working on the following ROM, Kernel, and Recovery

Galaxy MOD RLS 14.1 Using the newest version of TWRP and FAUX kernel.

Not sure about the kernel or Rom but from what I understand only certain recoverys can read this type of card and prior to me updating to the new TWRP I could not get this to work so make sure that you are using 2.3.3.0 and if you are using clockwork Mod, I suggest throwing it in the crapper because TWRP is a million times faster and more efficient.

The best solution that I have found is to go and download http://www.easeus.com/ the home edition becasue it has a free trial. This app will allow you to format it to Fat32 on your computer. Once you have it installed place the SD card in and select the card in the menu. I went ahead and wiped mine completely first as I had some trouble getting it to work for quite some time even after trying some of the other various ways listed. Once you have it wiped and deleted select a name for the new partition. I used the letter "F:" In some of the other posts and forums that I have read in most suggested to not format it using this program but I had already tried everything else and decided to give it a try. It is kind of confusing but select to format the sd card to FAT32 once you have selected this you will have to go to the toolbar at the top and actually select apply before any formatting will actually take place. Once that is complete make sure that you properly eject the card by un-mounting it first before you remove it from your pc. Then put it in your phone and it should recognize it, as mine did after the first try. I also took an extra step that I believe was unnecessary and went into the settings on my phone in the storage option and then formatted it again by wiping any data on it just to make sure it was properly aligned with the phone. Other than that you should not have any problems and believe me I have spent countless hours trying to figure this out and after I got this working felt obligated to share to save people the time and effort I put in to get this working. I attached a screen shot as proof to show that this is an actual fix. Feel free to hit the thanks button because I do not ever post and am trying to get to where I can actually post in forums and I am not a noob, I just do not have time to get on here all the time. Thanks Chase
    I thought I'd give people to a chance to explore Command Prompts as sort of a baby step to ADB or Terminal Emulator.

The GUI method works just as well. :good:

Thanks for the heads-up ... I edited the OP to reflect both options.

Pj
    Phoenix, AZ
    I put in a new 16Gb sd card into the computer. It shows only 14.9GB space available . Where has the other 1.1gb gone to.

Sorry....that's what happens when formatting! It's really bad advertising, I know! Even a 320gb hard drive is only gonna show up as roughly 298 GB after you format it!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk 2