[Q] Will the 'S Pen' (and pen-pressure) work with other ROMs?

Search This thread

white-k

Mar 5, 2012
illustratorer.com
I'm used to working with pens on my laptop so I plan on using the phone's pen a lot.
But I also really like to run modded ROMs.

So my question is:

Will the phone's 'S Pen' (and pen-pressure) work with other ROMs?

tamirda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 12, 2010
www.tdroms.com
It should work, S Pen is connected to touchwiz, and as i know, most custom roms to samsung based on touchwiz so it should work. If you ask if it works with other launchers, then i don't know..

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda app-developers app

jeux_1

Jan 24, 2005
Belfast
I'm used to working with pens on my laptop so I plan on using the phone's pen a lot.
But I also really like to run modded ROMs.

So my question is:

Will the phone's 'S Pen' (and pen-pressure) work with other ROMs?

I believe it will only work with apps like sketchbook and so on, you will not be able to write on calendar , cut print screen etc... which is added inside the rom of the note2 not part of jellybean.

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

It should work, S Pen is connected to touchwiz, and as i know, most custom roms to samsung based on touchwiz so it should work. If you ask if it works with other launchers, then i don't know..

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda app-developers app
yeah forgot about samsung based custom roms :) never used touchwiz only purchased google's own vanilla device.

SufiSam

Jun 30, 2011
Thane, Mumbai
IMO, the S pen features should work on all ROMs that are based on the Touchwiz framework. But unless the guys behind CyanogenMod and other devs (I'm looking at you @Codeworkx) manage to create something magical, the S pen features won't work on anything other than Stock based custom ROMs. Hope that helped! :D

FIVE86

Jun 9, 2012
Doha
I think the S Pen will not be very useful with AOSP ROMS like CM10 or AOKP once they are available since there is no S Note.

whatsaqazza

Jan 12, 2011
The S-Pen will function normally on touchwiz based roms. Gestures and S-note/memo wont be available in AOSP based ROMs though. Although there are some great replacement apps like memo from the play store. Its what I currently use on my N1

white-k

Mar 5, 2012
illustratorer.com
IMO, the S pen features should work on all ROMs that are based on the Touchwiz framework. But unless the guys behind CyanogenMod and other devs (I'm looking at you @Codeworkx) manage to create something magical, the S pen features won't work on anything other than Stock based custom ROMs. Hope that helped! :D

Thanks for the replies fellows.
I'm crossing my fingers (but not holding my breath) that they indeed do create "something magical". :)

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I'm crossing my fingers (but not holding my breath) that they indeed do create "something magical". :)

Not likely to happen. If CM comes to the Note 2, it will only be if a new maintainer steps up.

Most of the current Exynos maintainer team (myself, espenfjo, codeworkx) and others have all decided that our current devices will be our last non-Nexus Exynos devices. I'm not sure about xplodwild, but I have a feeling he's highly unlikely to take up another Haxxinos with the rest of us gone and given his prior experiences with it.

If Samsung changes their attitude towards developers, this might change, but their attitude lately (zero documentation, zero platform source code, a trend towards bootloader locking - Only the Verizon S3 has a locked bootloader now, but Samsung has had the infrastructure in place since the S2 and they are constantly adding more checks) has led to the current Exynos maintainer team deciding that enough is enough. I don't think any of us are going to do anything to make Samsung's Exynos devices more attractive to any particular market segment until they provide assistance (in the form of technical documentation and source code) in return. I don't know about the others, but if they offer me a free device I'll say no - I refuse to participate in a PR stunt like the I9100 donations were.

Pretty much the only way I'll go back is if I see reference platform source that is up to the same standards as CAF and omapzoom, or they actually start providing real documentation and source code for the devices I'm currently working with.

Last edited:
Reactions: galangdj

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Not likely to happen. If CM comes to the Note 2, it will only be if a new maintainer steps up.

Most of the current Exynos maintainer team (myself, espenfjo, codeworkx) and others have all decided that our current devices will be our last non-Nexus Exynos devices. I'm not sure about xplodwild, but I have a feeling he's highly unlikely to take up another Haxxinos with the rest of us gone and given his prior experiences with it.

If Samsung changes their attitude towards developers, this might change, but their attitude lately (zero documentation, zero platform source code, a trend towards bootloader locking - Only the Verizon S3 has a locked bootloader now, but Samsung has had the infrastructure in place since the S2 and they are constantly adding more checks) has led to the current Exynos maintainer team deciding that enough is enough. I don't think any of us are going to do anything to make Samsung's Exynos devices more attractive to any particular market segment until they provide assistance (in the form of technical documentation and source code) in return. I don't know about the others, but if they offer me a free device I'll say no - I refuse to participate in a PR stunt like the I9100 donations were.

Pretty much the only way I'll go back is if I see reference platform source that is up to the same standards as CAF and omapzoom, or they actually start providing real documentation and source code for the devices I'm currently working with.