Backup/Restore N2E

Search This thread

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
Backup/Restore N2E OS X/LINUX

Rule one: Make a backup of your factory fresh Nook ROM.

Linux/Mac: Become root

Boot nook with noogie.img and connect to your computer via USB.

New link here

Linux:
use df -h to get your nook's /dev/sd? address.
typically something like: /dev/sdb

OS X:
use diskutil list to get your nook's memory address.
typically something like: /dev/disk3

Once you know the address, unmount the Nook.

Code:
Linux: umount /dev/sdb*
OS X: diskutil unmountdisk /dev/disk1
Make the backup

Code:
Linux: dd if=/dev/sdb  of=my_backup.img bs=1M
OS X: dd if=/dev/disk3  of=my_backup.img bs=1M
After it is finished, double check and make sure the backup img file is exactly 1958739968 bytes long.

dd can wipe your computer's hard drive, so be careful! Make sure your're plugging the correct drives into the command above.

Restoring your N2E to factory-fresh is a simple reversal of the commands above:

(boot with the noogie sd card first!)

Code:
Linux: dd if=my_backup.img  of=/dev/sdb  bs=1M
OS X: dd if=my_backup.img of=/dev/disk3 bs=1M
Substitute sdb or disk3 above with your Nook's actual address.

This wipes your N2E, restoring the specified image file.

Windows users, see the next post.

Last edited:

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
BACKUP/RESTORE N2E Win7

Grab a copy of Roadkil's free DiskImager for backup and restore. http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=12

and a copy of free MiniTool Partition Wizard at:
http://www.partitionwizard.com/

Boot nook with noogie.img : http://nookdevs.com/NookTouch_Rooting (the "Rooted Forever" screen) and connect to your computer via USB.

Use DiskImager to copy your Nook partition to a file, being sure to select "Physical Disk" in the drop down list.

read1.png

read2.png

read3.png

If the process completes, you now have a backup.

To restore your backup:

(Boot Nook with the noogie sd)

Run Partition Wizard and delete all partitions on your Nook. Careful in disk selection here, wiping the wrong drive could be catastrophic! This is required, because DiskImager won't write to a partitioned drive.
partwiz.jpg

Now run DiskImager and restore your backup to the Nook drive. When done, pull the noogie sd card from the Nook and reboot.

write1.png

write2.png

write3.png

You should be fully restored now.

Last edited:

Loccy

Jul 12, 2005
Then make a backup now. For most of the stuff that's being done, a factory restore will put you back to pure stock.

Already doing so - my current state is quite solid at the moment so it'll do as a known good restore point, if not as a "get me back to being a virgin" state.

Factory restore only seems to wipe /data, though - so anything you've done in system is not restored to stock.

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
I'm stuffed too. Is there any hope of a full factory install method that doesn't include making an image of the original ROM?

I don't see one on the horizon because the /rom/devconf data is individual to each N2E. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

As long as you're not currently in a horrible broken state, can't you force a factory refresh then backup?

cymoze

May 25, 2011
I don't see one on the horizon because the /rom/devconf data is individual to each N2E. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

As long as you're not currently in a horrible broken state, can't you force a factory refresh then backup?

I did that and was able to backup. I noticed my 1.82GB image was actually on Physical Disk 7, but other than that it went by the book.

idanool

Sep 21, 2010
Hi,

I made my backup without umounting the nook first (sadly, this step isn't mentioned on the rooting guide on NookDevs...) ,
tryied to restore it seems I bricked my nook... stuck at boot time.
it seems that (at least) /boot/uRamdisk is defected, thus my nook is not booting

I've wrote everthing here... but seems that the relavant part is what I wrote above...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1149714

EDIT: seems that umounting before restoring and then restoring again solved the problem... aperantly the image was OK after all.

Last edited:

webvan

May 20, 2008
And after some problems with TouchNooter I was able to restore to that image too! Thanks again.

homesik_alien

Sep 7, 2005
I rooted my Nook Touch then decided to try to return back to original "virgin" state. I successfully backed up (verified the file size was 1958739968 bytes) and restored but after I registered my Nook and then restarted, the screen with the android logo and prompt appeared.
I can skip all the Android stuff but one thing I found that I can't do anymore is link to facebook in settings.

It seems if you didn't back up your ROM before you rooted, you will never be able to return to the original state. Hope I am wrong. If B&N release an update, will that help clean the Nook and free it of touchnooter?

Any help is appreciated

guitar_east

May 18, 2010
Pickering
I rooted my Nook Touch then decided to try to return back to original "virgin" state. I successfully backed up (verified the file size was 1958739968 bytes) and restored but after I registered my Nook and then restarted, the screen with the android logo and prompt appeared.
I can skip all the Android stuff but one thing I found that I can't do anymore is link to facebook in settings.

It seems if you didn't back up your ROM before you rooted, you will never be able to return to the original state. Hope I am wrong. If B&N release an update, will that help clean the Nook and free it of touchnooter?

Any help is appreciated

Yeah I had a similar problem. It seems you can't actually factory restore it. It gets rid of the launcher you installed but whenever I've tried doing the restore it's only a matter of time before the "Tap on the Android to begin" part reappears.

So I've re-rooted, and am leaving it as be until better progress comes out. I don't have market or Gmail working, but Kindle and other apps I need to work so I'll make due for now. I don't want to risk bricking the device as I'm in Canada and there's no Barnes and Nobles to return the Nook to,

guitar_east

May 18, 2010
Pickering
Figured I should post this incase anyone has a similar problem.

After I made my backup, I began the process to restore. I opened the Partition Magic program and deleted all the partitions on the Nook device. I then opened up Win32 Disk Imager, tried to load up my backup and got this error:

"An error occurred when trying to get the devices geometry. Error 8:".

I tried it on another machine, same thing. The workaround for that problem is going into device manager and disabling your Floppy Disk controller and Floppy Drive. Also, moving the Nook backup image you made to the root of your C drive may work.

Or just try the Linux method, much easier

Last edited:

netdc

Jul 20, 2011
who can give me a backed up file, I use linux and use 'dd' command ,but the file is wrong ,so my nook touch can not be use anymore. I need a full backup file to recovery it . Where can I download this file ? Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BACKUP/RESTORE N2E Win7

Grab a copy of Roadkil's free DiskImager for backup and restore. http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=12

and a copy of free MiniTool Partition Wizard at:
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/

Boot nook with noogie.img : http://nookdevs.com/NookTouch_Rooting (the "Rooted Forever" screen) and connect to your computer via USB.

Use DiskImager to copy your Nook partition to a file, being sure to select "Physical Disk" in the drop down list.

read1.png

read2.png

read3.png

If the process completes, you now have a backup.

To restore your backup:

(Boot Nook with the noogie sd)

Run Partition Wizard and delete all partitions on your Nook. Careful in disk selection here, wiping the wrong drive could be catastrophic! This is required, because DiskImager won't write to a partitioned drive.
    partwiz.jpg

Now run DiskImager and restore your backup to the Nook drive. When done, pull the noogie sd card from the Nook and reboot.

write1.png

write2.png

write3.png

You should be fully restored now.
    Backup/Restore N2E OS X/LINUX

Rule one: Make a backup of your factory fresh Nook ROM.

Linux/Mac: Become root

Boot nook with noogie.img and connect to your computer via USB.

New link here

Linux:
    use df -h to get your nook's /dev/sd? address.
    typically something like: /dev/sdb

OS X:
    use diskutil list to get your nook's memory address.
    typically something like: /dev/disk3

Once you know the address, unmount the Nook.

Code:
    Linux: umount /dev/sdb*
    OS X: diskutil unmountdisk /dev/disk1
    Make the backup

Code:
    Linux: dd if=/dev/sdb  of=my_backup.img bs=1M
    OS X: dd if=/dev/disk3  of=my_backup.img bs=1M
    After it is finished, double check and make sure the backup img file is exactly 1958739968 bytes long.

dd can wipe your computer's hard drive, so be careful! Make sure your're plugging the correct drives into the command above.

Restoring your N2E to factory-fresh is a simple reversal of the commands above:

(boot with the noogie sd card first!)

Code:
    Linux: dd if=my_backup.img  of=/dev/sdb  bs=1M
    OS X: dd if=my_backup.img of=/dev/disk3 bs=1M
    Substitute sdb or disk3 above with your Nook's actual address.

This wipes your N2E, restoring the specified image file.

Windows users, see the next post.
    I've tried several time with a Mac and with a PC, with Win32diskimager and dd, with the Nook "brand new" and registered, but my image is always 1.962.934.272 bytes long.

The "dd --list" command give the same result, 1.962.934.272.

The firmware revision of the Nook is 1.0.0, Model number BNRV300.

Anyone else have the same result?

Yep, I have the same result and the same Model Number, I have not tested to restore the image though
    Instead of dumping a 2 Gb big file directly to hd you could pipe it through a compression tool:

Code:
    Dumping:
    dd if=/dev/sdX bs=1M | gzip > blob.img.gz

Restoring:
    gzip -dc | dd of=/dev/sdX bs=1M

Replace gzip with whatever compression tools is wanted.
    lzop -- extremely high throughput, very low compression rate.
    gzip -- high throughput, low compression rate.
    xz -- low throughput, totally awesome compression rate.

Dumping a pretty much stock v1.1 nook with xz results in a img of around 500mb.