Streaming video

Search This thread

treyxazn

Feb 8, 2008
Boston, MA
Hi I just wanted to contribute an edited tutorial to those who are interested in video streaming to their phone from a home server. I didn't see a proper one listed on any of the droid development forums so as an epic user I just wanted to help.

I have pieced together a tutorial to get hi-quality Video Streaming to your Android phone over Wi-Fi or 3G. For those of you using Orb Mycast for years, like I have, have noticed that the quality is unbearable and down right atrocious until I rediscovered Tversity again.

Here are some items you will need:

1: Tversity installed on PC where media is stored

2: rockplayer app installed on Android phone from market
Its the only player for Android that picks up on most video files without having to download the file all the way.

Optional: Setup your PC for Static IP and Port Fowarding if you want to stream via 3G if away from home. Go to PortForward.com - Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model for detailed tutorials on how to set this up.

Setting Up Tversity For Streaming

I will not go into detail about setting Tversity on your PC such as configuring the libraries and such but I will go over settings that need to be in place for this to work.

Under Settings in the Transcoder section, make sure under "When To Transcode" make sure its set to never. The reason behind this is I havent figured a way for Android to pickup on the stream without waiting for it to fully transcode.

Next under General Settings, under Home Network, make sure you plug in your PC's IP address so that way your phone has access to your video files.
For this part, you would have had to setup your PC for a static IP instead of being a random IP that is given when your PC gets turned on each time. If you got to PortForward.com - Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model for detail tutorials on setting up a static IP.

Optional:Under General Settings in the Home Network Section, there is an option for "the media server should accept requests......" which will let you access your media over 3G on your phone. To set this up, after you check mark that you want access, go ahead and setup a username and password to let you login from outside your network.
As before, you need your PC setup as a static IP but also you have setup your home router to Port Forward requests from Port 41952 to your PC's Static IP. Go to PortForward.com - Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model for instructions on how to setup port forwarding.

Install A Android Media Player That Will Pickup On Progressive MP4

So far the only media player that works for this so far is the "rockPlayer" that you can download for free off the market.
If anybody has found a better player that works for this solution, please let me know so I can test it out.

Last But Not Least, Lets Stream A Video To Our Phone!!

For Home Wi-Fi Streaming Only

Open your web browser in your Android Phone, input your PC's Static IP such as "192.168.1.XXX:41952/lib"(Replaced the XXX's with Your IP address that you previously setup), from here, you will be navigated to Tversity's mobile WAP GUI. Navigate from here where you setup your video files in your library to appear. After that, select your video file and if all is setup correctly, then either you will get a popup saying with default player would you like to use or it will go straight to rockPlayer and start playing the movie.

For Streaming Over 3G or Another High-Speed Wi-Fi Connection

The only difference here that we are going to do is navigate our Android Browser to your home's IP Address which can be found easily if you go to What's My IP Address? Networking Tools & More from your home PC. For example it will look like this, 98.246.64.55:41952/lib to access Tversity away from home.
WARNING: Streaming from outside your network will take a long time for your movies to buffer to RockPlayer. It has taken well over 2 minutes for the movie to play sometimes over 3G. Thats why we try to get the movie as small as possible to stream faster over 3G.

All and all, thats about it. This should get you up and running on streaming to Hi-Quality video files to your Android phone wherever you are at. I will update this tutorial with any helpful updates I get from the community on what works better or my own discoveries as time goes on.
:)

Last edited:

treyxazn

Feb 8, 2008
Boston, MA
Ah thank you that seems like a very considerable option especially since it helps with your Private IP changing which can be a bit of a hassle at times lol.

Thanks I love to hear from others and help with giving the users more options in this particular video streaming solution.

Reactions: XtaC318

muyoso

Oct 23, 2007
I use the CIFS module posted on here by someone along with CIFSManager to just mount windows shares on my phone when I am at home, and I can stream 720p mkv files flawlessly using the stock media player or any media player I want. Works with any video or audio or anything else you want to mess around with.

treyxazn

Feb 8, 2008
Boston, MA
I use the CIFS module posted on here by someone along with CIFSManager to just mount windows shares on my phone when I am at home, and I can stream 720p mkv files flawlessly using the stock media player or any media player I want. Works with any video or audio or anything else you want to mess around with.

Is the CIFS module accessible from a network away from home such as your 3g/4g network?

treyxazn

Feb 8, 2008
Boston, MA
Thank you :)

Well for cds or tapes tversity allows you to access whatever folders you set in your directoy in the program.

For audio though I highly reccomend audiogalaxy, its easy to set up and I have access to all 50gb of my music at all times.

Let's put our data plans to the maximum use right?

ggoldfingerd

Jun 29, 2007
Thanks for the post. I hope transcoding is supported at some point by one of the players so I can stream mkv files to devices that don't support it like my Xoom.

Last edited:

treyxazn

Feb 8, 2008
Boston, MA
Yeah unfortunately tversity does not support transcoding .mkv files yet, I would also like this feature as a lot of anime I have is in this format.

I do however know of a lot of users who use "GOTsent" to convert to mp4 format, I use other software though however and its not as timely as it would seem.

A good solution until such transcoding is supported.

jbadboy2007

Sep 22, 2010
Lansing MI
With tversity you can go into settings to allow access from internet not just the lan. Which I don't think requires the need to find ip address and enter it into the browser. You set up a password and or the devices mac address. I have used tversity for years it is high quality and very easy to use.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can also use something like http://www.dyndns.com/ to associate your home IP with something like myawesomecomp.dyndns.org

It's handy for VNC, and other things as well, and can update when your IP changes.
    Ah thank you that seems like a very considerable option especially since it helps with your Private IP changing which can be a bit of a hassle at times lol.

Thanks I love to hear from others and help with giving the users more options in this particular video streaming solution.