[Q] HTC One X: Stock, stuck in bootloop, need to recover pics please!

Search This thread

jkalbin

Oct 12, 2013
Hello, newb here with a problem...

My girlfriend's phone (HTC One X) randomly reboots today and gets stuck in a bootloop, HTC screen and then black, over and over... seems like it won't load the OS. I do a little research and manage to time it just right to get it into HBOOT and just shut it down so I can try and figure out the problem later.

I have no experience rooting phones, minimal experience with Linux and Java coding. Her phone is new, bought unlocked with GSM carrier bands. She lives in Romania and will be taking the phone home with her in a week, so no SIM card yet, just airplane mode and wifi. This does mean I'm on a timetable to get it fixed though, it needs to work before she leaves as I'm not sure of the support she may get back home.

The boot screen shows the following:

***LOCKED***
EVITA PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
CID-11111111
HBOOT- 1.14.0002
RADIO- 0.19as.32.09.11_2
OpenDSP- v29.1.0.45.0622
eMMC-boot
Jun 11 2012, 14:36:28

HBOOT

<VOL UP>...
<POWER>...

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
FACTORY RESET
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK
IMAGE CRC
POWER DOWN

Now, from what I've read, I may be able to fix the problem with a reset, but here is the hiccup... I need to save the pics and video that are on the phone. Is there any way to do this with a phone that is only stable powered on in HBOOT? Normal boot ALWAYS responds with a loop, HBOOT can sit for hours with no issue. I have my GF's laptop with Win 8 Pro and could do cmds if there is a way to get the phone recognizable by the computer.

I have searched for hours this afternoon/evening to try and find a similar problem, but it always seemed to be with rooting the phone. If anyone has ANY ideas how to save the pics and get this phone stable, I would be incredibly grateful. Thanks in advance! :laugh:

Last edited:

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City

My girlfriend's phone (HTC One X) randomly reboots today and gets stuck in a bootloop, HTC screen and then black, over and over... seems like it won't load the OS. I do a little research and manage to time it just right to get it into HBOOT and just shut it down so I can try and figure out the problem later. BTW picture and video are save on your SD card ....and make sure u don't wipe SD card during factory wipe from recovery......

I have no experience rooting phones, minimal experience with Linux and Java coding. Her phone is new, bought unlocked with GSM carrier bands. She lives in Romania and will be taking the phone home with her in a week, so no SIM card yet, just airplane mode and wifi. This does mean I'm on a timetable to get it fixed though, it needs to work before she leaves as I'm not sure of the support she may get back home.

***LOCKED***
EVITA PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
CID-11111111
HBOOT- 1.14.0002
RADIO- 0.19as.32.09.11_2
OpenDSP- v29.1.0.45.0622
eMMC-boot

HBOOT

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
FACTORY RESET
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK
IMAGE CRC
POWER DOWN

Now, from what I've read, I may be able to fix the problem with a reset, but here is the hiccup... I need to save the pics and video that are on the phone. Is there any way to do this with a phone that is only stable powered on in HBOOT? Normal boot ALWAYS responds with a loop, HBOOT can sit for hours with no issue. I have my GF's laptop with Win 8 Pro and could do cmds if there is a way to get the phone recognizable by the computer.

I have searched for hours this afternoon/evening to try and find a similar problem, but it always seemed to be with rooting the phone. If anyone has ANY ideas how to save the pics and get this phone stable, I would be incredibly grateful. Thanks in advance! :laugh:

Firstable ......u might want to erase your IMEI and SN......u do not want to share it. Secondable.....u need to go to www.htcdev.com to unlock your bootloader & u would be able to install custom rom that more stable or u can flash beastmode kernel if u are on Android 4.2.2 sense 5 rom right now or u can just upgrade your firmware to 2.15 since u S-off and supercid

Swyped From BlueICESense_JBE

Last edited:
Reactions: jkalbin

jkalbin

Oct 12, 2013
Firstable ......u might want to erase your IMEI and SN......u do not want to share it. Secondable.....u need to go to htcdev.com to unlock your bootloader & u would be able to install custom rom that more stable or u can flash beastmode kernel if u are on Android 4.2.2 sense 5 rom right now or u can just upgrade your firmware to 2.15 since u S-off and supercid

I have deleted those two from my post, but unfortunately you quoted them in your post and I can't delete that... do me a favor? Thanks.

I should have mentioned in the first post that I don't want to root her phone if I don't have to, first priority is to get it running. Second priority is to save the pictures that are on the phone. Everything I have read tells me that the SD contents will be deleted during a factory reset or when rooting, so I am saving those for a last resort.

Is there a way to upgrade the firmware without doing any resets?

btw- I am not the one who turned S-off, it came from the factory like that... fairly confusing to me. Thanks again!

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City
I have deleted those two from my post, but unfortunately you quoted them in your post and I can't delete that... do me a favor? Thanks.

I should have mentioned in the first post that I don't want to root her phone if I don't have to, first priority is to get it running. Second priority is to save the pictures that are on the phone. Everything I have read tells me that the SD contents will be deleted during a factory reset or when rooting, so I am saving those for a last resort.

btw- I am not the one who turned S-off, it came from the factory like that... fairly confusing to me. Thanks again!

ERASED my quote.......:D Well if u like to mod your phone S-off is a good think u can just pretty much do anything with ur phone cuz it by passed security check point..... S-off......I see what u saying....Do not do factory reset from bootloader......try click on recovery by pressing vol up or down to navigate and see what comes up.......if twrp team win comes up.....u good to go.....choose back up ......and u can back all your files .....or connect ur phone to PC using USB cable and choose mount>USB mass storage and save all your files to pc

PS.....BTW if I somehow help you please hit thanks button.....:D

Last edited:

jkalbin

Oct 12, 2013
ERASED my quote.......:D Well if u like to mod your phone S-off is a good think u can just pretty much do anything with ur phone cuz it by passed security check point..... S-off......I see what u saying....Do not do factory reset from bootloader......try click on recovery by pressing vol up or down to navigate and see what comes up.......if twrp team win comes up.....u good to go.....choose back up ......and u can back all your files .....or connect ur phone to PC using USB cable and choose mount>USB mass storage and save all your files to pc

Thanks button hit, and I would gladly hit it a dozen times if I can get this phone to work long enough to recover pictures and then try a factory reset. On another forum someone had suggested putting the phone in a fridge for 5 minutes or so and that would somehow let it boot long enough to get the pics via USB. Idk about putting her phone in a fridge though... :silly:

I also forgot to mention I had tried recovery as well, I don't recall seeing TWRP, just 3 or 4 yellow lines of "cache error", then eventually a blue menu. From there I had tried "reboot", same problem. Got back to that screen and tried "clear cache", still the same thing.

Just got to recover again, looks like this:

Android system recovery <3e>

Use volume key to highlight;
click power key to select.

Reboot system now
Apply update from external storage
Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition
Apply update from cache
Apply update from internal storage

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command
E:failed to mount /sdcard (No such file or directory)

I have already tried the Reboot option and Clear cache option... should I next be trying to apply an update via external storage? If so, which update? I obviously can't update from internal since I can't send/receive files to the phone in its current state and I never put an update in the phone storage. Thanks again!

jkalbin

Oct 12, 2013
Unlock bootloader via HTC dev, install twrp 2.6 recovery then mount usb in recovery and you will have access to sd card

Sent from my HTC One XL using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Appreciate the help, I am still new to rooting and the like...

Won't unlocking the bootloader wipe the SD? Or will it just wipe the apps and data? I don't much care if I have to reinstall apps, but losing the SD contents I would like to avoid.

I'm also trying to avoid voiding the warranty as the phone is only a month old, is there any way to get the computer to "see" the sd contents through the bootloader without unlocking it? Perhaps a software that the computer could force the phone to show the sd?

Thanks again all!

31ken31

Nov 7, 2010
New Port Richey, Florida
I thought it wiped the sd until I did it some stuff was gone but my music and pics remained but that's just my experience, maybe someone else can chime in.

jkalbin

Oct 12, 2013
Ah, ok. I'll use that as a last resort then, not voiding the warranty has become a higher priority than recovering the pics. Unless someone suggests another option, I think a factory reset will happen tonight.

Thanks for the help guys, and any other suggestions are gratefully accepted!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using xda app-developers app

jkalbin

Oct 12, 2013
Anyone have any experience with CPR? I don't know if it's worth it to wait until Monday to get them to try and fix it, if they could even do anything.

If it was my phone, I would root and reboot, but I don't want to risk messing up my gfs phone more than it is. Still open to suggestions, thanks a lot for the help everyone.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using xda app-developers app

diytothestars

Feb 4, 2009
Morning all

I'm in a similar situation...can anyone help?

Stock HTC with no mods, water damaged, had screen/cable replaced, after two days back with me screen went multi coloured, exclamation mark appeared on battery icon, phone stayed on at 1% battery with mains charger plugged in...now in bootloop and until until its run flat can I plug it into Mac to charge... Won't charge from mains

If there's a step by step guide to getting it stable enough to extract data (android file transfer doesn't work) that would be v helpful

Currently this is like death by a thousand cuts

steven chao

Dec 10, 2015
Was there a conclusion? My wife has similar situation, but her contacts and notes are more important than pics. The phone froze on the updating of the software (trying to use HTC Syn).... Please let me know if there is a private solution as well. Pay to fix. my email: theturd52@yahoo.com

Peace,
Steven Chao

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

My girlfriend's phone (HTC One X) randomly reboots today and gets stuck in a bootloop, HTC screen and then black, over and over... seems like it won't load the OS. I do a little research and manage to time it just right to get it into HBOOT and just shut it down so I can try and figure out the problem later. BTW picture and video are save on your SD card ....and make sure u don't wipe SD card during factory wipe from recovery......

***LOCKED***
    EVITA PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
    CID-11111111
    HBOOT- 1.14.0002
    RADIO- 0.19as.32.09.11_2
    OpenDSP- v29.1.0.45.0622
    eMMC-boot

HBOOT

FASTBOOT
    RECOVERY
    FACTORY RESET
    CLEAR STORAGE
    SIMLOCK
    IMAGE CRC
    POWER DOWN

Firstable ......u might want to erase your IMEI and SN......u do not want to share it. Secondable.....u need to go to www.htcdev.com to unlock your bootloader & u would be able to install custom rom that more stable or u can flash beastmode kernel if u are on Android 4.2.2 sense 5 rom right now or u can just upgrade your firmware to 2.15 since u S-off and supercid

Unlock bootloader via HTC dev, install twrp 2.6 recovery then mount usb in recovery and you will have access to sd card

I thought it wiped the sd until I did it some stuff was gone but my music and pics remained but that's just my experience, maybe someone else can chime in.

The unlock process only wiped my text messages but my images and music were untouched.

Sent from my Evita