[APP] Sky Go for Android (UK ONLY)

Search This thread

simmersice

Feb 20, 2012
So can someone with a non-compatible handset try this? Seems too simple, but I can't try it.

This is just a device and OS version workaround, not root.

Hi hope this helps as have just registered here to post this i have just uninstalled the otiginal apk at strt of this thread and installedthis test i have a samsung galaxy tab original on froyo i guess what you would call stock. This test apk allows me to bypass the otherwise device not suported issue and allows me to lohin in using my existing sky id and guess what it actually works perfect quaity not great at first but imptoves gradually have tried sky news sky 1 sky sports 1 and a couple of others and a couple of movies well the ones that broadcast for sky go.

Hope this helps and thank you very much fpr all your efforts i am very happy

spackmc

Feb 20, 2012
Test apk is working with no issues on my Galaxy Note and a friends Nexus. Fantastic work , well done!!

gerrymcgrath

Feb 20, 2012
Media Streaming - A wifi or Internet data connection is required to use SkyGo

Hi,

I downloaded and installed the new .apk file supplied by gumbald onto my Motorola Xoom tablet ( thanks so much :mad:0), when I try to watch some of the streaming content I get a message box
Loading 0% to 100%, this doesnt update and I then get a message "Media Streaming and a warning symbol, Awifi or Internet data connection is required to use SkyGo and nothing plays back.

I am in a wifi hotspot and have a 3g connection, so am at a loss as to why this error is occuring, anyone else have this?

crazyteknohed

Apr 10, 2011
Just tried the test-apk on my Moto Milestone 2 running MIUI. Managed to log in okay but all paid-for channels hang at 0% buffering (I did wait a while) and Sky News gives an error saying that I need to be connected to a network or on wifi (wifi is connected).

skezza

Sep 29, 2007
It doesn't seem to work on SGS2 at the moment.

What I will say is make sure you Force Close the Sky Go app before running mine. Then run mine, apply fix, reopen Sky Go. I don't know if restarting would make a difference, but if you have anything on boot I wouldn't recommend it.

I'll have to see if I can borrow an SGS2 and work out why it doesn't work.

Also make sure you give it chance for the stream to load, they can be a teeny bit slow.

skezza

Sep 29, 2007
OK, i know why it isn't working on SGS2 now. I'll need to get my hands on an SGS2 to fix it though.

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

I also know why it isn't working on custom ROMs, this might be a very specific fix for a certain type of root tbh. Like I said, I wasn't sure if it would work. Luckily, I've had no-one turning round saying I killed their device :)

Let me keep investigating, I am confident I can get this working though. Keep the faith :D

I may have a way of making it work on SGS2 but its only a workaround really, let me just have a quick think :)
Dont uninstall just yet :p

skezza

Sep 29, 2007
OK, does everyone here have root explorer? What I want you to do is look at the R/W permissions on their system AFTER running my fix. My app is performing a mod so R/W permissions are necessary. They should be R/W, but I have a feeling they are only read-only on a lot of devices. Please let me know. Like if you use root explorer, run my app, press the top button, then open it up and look at the top, if it says mount R/O then it's R/W, if it says mount R/W then it's still read only.

If they do say mount R/W that means its still mounted as R/O. Mount it as R/W and run my fix again. It might not work because I've coded a mount command which may undo it, but just try for me people :D

Reactions: sucramco

davemuir

Mar 20, 2010
OK, does everyone here have root explorer? What I want you to do is look at the R/W permissions on their system AFTER running my fix. My app is performing a mod so R/W permissions are necessary. They should be R/W, but I have a feeling they are only read-only on a lot of devices. Please let me know. Like if you use root explorer, run my app, press the top button, then open it up and look at the top, if it says mount R/O then it's R/W, if it says mount R/W then it's still read only.

If they do say mount R/W that means its still mounted as R/O. Mount it as R/W and run my fix again. It might not work because I've coded a mount command which may undo it, but just try for me people :D

Doesn't make a difference for me, sorry dude :(

simmersice

Feb 20, 2012
Hi hope this helps as have just registered here to post this i have just uninstalled the otiginal apk at strt of this thread and installedthis test i have a samsung galaxy tab original on froyo i guess what you would call stock. This test apk allows me to bypass the otherwise device not suported issue and allows me to lohin in using my existing sky id and guess what it actually works perfect quaity not great at first but imptoves gradually have tried sky news sky 1 sky sports 1 and a couple of others and a couple of movies well the ones that broadcast for sky go.

Hope this helps and thank you very much fpr all your efforts i am very happy

firstly appologies for my crap spelling im using a poot touch screen keyboard on my tablet in portrait not the best for chunky fingers as a further update i have also tested wuth wifi turned off it gives an error message about turn wifi on but if you ignore this and cancel warbing rather than go in to settings to turn on wifi it will pick up 3g signal but looks like it may hang at 0% give it a few seconds and it loads up although slow to pick up good quality resoultion

big thanks to gumbold again and every one for working on thos

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So can someone with a non-compatible handset try this? Seems too simple, but I can't try it.

This is just a device and OS version workaround, not root.
    Sky Go More than 2 Devices

!!EDIT!! Some people have been finding when you create a new account when following this guide, the new account has the devices from the first account replicated into it, any modifications to the devices in the new account affect the original account, I am sorry but I think this is what is "meant" to happen when a new account is created. I dont know of any fix for this unfortunately. !!EDIT!!

Hey Guys, I made a post earlier in this thread stating I knew how to get round the 2 device restriction, several people messaged me asking me for instructions on how to do so, I didnt realise so many people had been restricted by it, however, I was at work and couldnt post a follow up then so here it is.

I am not sure where I should post this, but this thread seems a good enough place at the moment as here is where people will be looking at information about the android sky go app so here goes:

I am not sure if this should be possible via the sky system or whether its just a very unpublished "feature" but you dont have to do anything dodgy to do this, I noticed it was possible when i was setting up an additional user for my housemate.

Basically the gist of this workaround makes use of the ability to link multiple sky user accounts together, if you know how to create sky user accounts, the solution is as simple as to create some more accounts and add more devices to the other accounts. for those who dont know how to do that I have more details below.

I am not sure whether this works for people who pay for the online subscription rather than have the sky service installed in their house. I have sky installed and it works for me.
    !!EDIT!! It seems people who only have sky go subscription cannot perform the verify your sky id step and therefore cannot create additional users, not sure if this applies to everyone but quote below from skimminstones says it doesnt work for him with just a sky go subscription !!EDIT!!

Im not sure it does. You have to verify your id to be able to add additional users and i have been told by sky that as i inly have a skygo subscription and not an actual house installation then i cant verify my id. Seems its not available

Go here and login using your original Sky ID /password:
    (I dont think I can post links yet so you will have to make the link)
    https:// skyid. sky .com/signin/mysky

Go to Profile & Settings > Additional Users

Click setup an additional user.
    Follow the steps to setting up a new user, you need another email address and thats about it really.

Login on the unregistered device with the newly created sky ID/pw
    you will now be able to register 2 new devices to this account, the original account will still have the two devices registered.
    you can have 9 additional users so 10 accounts in total, meaning you actually register 20 devices, more than most people will need I would think ;)

Good luck, hope this helps those that where being restricted by two devices.

Please avoid replying to this comment in this thread, pm me replies and I will edit this post with information on peoples success with this if you would like. I dont want to hijack this thread at all as really want to see the Sky go app working on my phone.

If a mod wants me to move this somewhere else I am more than happy to do so, but I dont think XDA has a specific sky forum :S
    Wifi only tablets seem to be coming up with "unknown error" when trying to view channels. I have a Archos 70 and Hannspree Hannspad both of which are doing this. Both allow me to sign in but will not let me view any channels Sky News or paid. Also people with Nook Color and Asus Transformer TF101 seem to have the same. So how is the app picking up on this?

Interesting link - I think I know why this is happening, let me try something, I'll upload it in a bit.

EDIT: Try the 0.1.3 version. I can't test this at the moment for wi-fi only device, but the app runs without a problem on my phone.
    Hi great work guys.
    after downloading and installing the hacked sky go i no longer get the unsupported device message, i then choose a channel and it loads up to 100 percent then i get a streaming error (error:37) message. Anyone else having this problem?. Thanks again guys.

I also get the (error37) on my Orange Monte Carlo (ZTE SKATE) using all the skygo_test apks when trying to view Sky News.

Looks like this error is "live viewing general error" - has it ever worked? Could be temporary on their side.

Tried both apk 1.2 and 1.3 last night on an Acer A500 Iconia with unrooted Honeycomb 3.2 rom, still doesnt stream, just comes back with unknown error when trying to watch anything.

Right, here's an updated version that should get people further on wi-fi only devices. Not expecting any video still yet though. There's more of you than I expected!

Usual disclaimers apply: I'm not responsible if your cat runs away, your device gets bricked, Sky send you a bill for "those channels" and your wife finds out. Use this at your own risk.
    The .apk is below, please report whether it works.

According to Sky it should only work on:
    HTC Desire
    HTC Desire S
    HTC Desire HD
    HTC Incredible
    HTC Sensation
    Samsung Galaxy S
    Samsung Galaxy S II.

And it only works on Froyo (2.2) and Gingerbread (2.3), so no ICS yet using the official app.

There are also some issues with root and DRM begin not able to see some content.

credit to Sky for the app.

credit to gumbald for the upload.

SGSIIs look here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22821145

Update:
    Can you please only post if you have something to add to the discussion, not a post saying how do i get this working on my rom.

To be helpful follow this guide:
    1) Try this APK out if the one on the first post doesnt work (Also
    thank gumbald for his hard work here while you are there):
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22801668&postcount=555

2) Check this spreadsheet (thank lennyuk for the spreadsheet management):
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnLqAJT56SsbdGI2QWJYV1dodFpaWWk3QnkxLWNxN0E#gid=0
    look for your device, check to see what info is available for it if its found.

3)If you cant find your device And/Or you have more up to date info fill in this Form:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGVDOXNockJRanJZcEtmNWdEemVIdUE6MQ

4) If you have something useful to add like, "I got Sky working after flashing this rom found at this xda thread" then post here detailing what you did and what android device this worked on, otherwise keep this thread clean please.

5) If you are having issues with 2 devices only on Sky, check here for a possible solution:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22756430&postcount=118