ICS wifi freezing issue

Search This thread

Flash05

Jul 13, 2010
set the wifi to use 2.4Ghz. the bug hasn't occurred yet for 3 days. i always do on/off wifi because im mobile.

factory reset - doesnt work
fresh odin flash - doesnt work, confirmed by others and a friend
custom kernel - not sure, some positive and false positive results
wifi direct toggle - temporary but sometimes work
airplane mode toggle - same as wifi direct
reboot - obviously fixes the issue.

when your phone sleeps and can't wake, dont remove the battery. press and hold on/lock button for 5 seconds. will do force reboot.

Reactions: cerabreu

Mr Anderson

Nov 14, 2008
your on the wrong rom...
Many are on the official stock ROMs provided by Samsung.

These are not wrong, these are the officially released ROMs. Yes, there are plenty of custom ROMs out there, and maybe this bug isn't present in some of them, but the official stock ROM cannot be considered to be "wrong".

Dec 6, 2011
Well, using siyah i never had the problem. But I really like speedmod kernel much more and had the wifi freezing bug all the time with it. Setting wifi frequency band to 2.4ghz on settings - wifi - advance seems to solve for me too.

Enviado do meu GT-I9100 usando o Tapatalk

htcmagic

Jul 8, 2009
installed the latest SiyahKernel v3.1.2 and the problem is gone.
I am on I9100XXLPQ. I had installed the CF-Root-SGS2_XX_XEO_LPQ-PROPER-v5.4-CWM5 but that didn't make a difference.
SiyahKernel fixed it . Just install over CF-ROOT with odin.

jonny_ftm

Oct 12, 2010
So, it seems this never was fixed :-(
I also has the issue, XWLP7+CF_Root

Some have it, others no, stock, cf_root, Siyah and other kernels, there are reports of people having it

So, must be sammy issue on ICS.
Sad, this is really the worst issue I have: a reboot on turn on Wifi

PS: I confirm that keeping power button pressed avoids you taking off the battery: phone will reboot and wifi connects, until next hang up :-(

If any fix was found, please update

Timbop37

Apr 23, 2012
I know you will have all tried this but I was having the exact same problem. After updating to ICS I had problems with wifi but a factory reset on my router solved it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

Flash05

Jul 13, 2010
im on 2.4ghz, on this, i have rare occurrence but still happens.

i dont have wifi switch widget but only shortcut to settings,

Flash05

Jul 13, 2010
im on stock dxlp7 non-rooted. im using it 8hrs wifi (combination of active and inactive/no transmission). at the same time im using 2000mAh samsung extended batt.

all i can say is that i last 36 hours. so im not sure how how to answer your question.

just going back to the topic. setting it at 2.4ghz makes the bug occur less or rare. im keeping the setting.

Mr Anderson

Nov 14, 2008
I did a complete factory reset, internal SD wipe and then reflashed the stock ICS 4.03 LPS firmware. That was a week ago and I've not seen the wifi freeze since.

I believe the fault is some sort of conflict with the ICS update and some old GB files on the phone. A fresh firmware installation seems to solve the problem.

[EDIT] Damn. After a week of trouble-free running I got the freeze again last night. This is NOT the solution. :(

Last edited:

jonny_ftm

Oct 12, 2010
Many here, include me did wipe, hard reset, install new rom, full manual reinstall, and still bugs

Well, for me now, only things I done since last saw the bug was remove the Toggle Widgets Pack

I change one thing at a time now and wait. Wifi stil on auto band selection

Near 3 days now without it, will be patient and feedback

Really strange are nothings seems to be common between people having the problem, except ICS

denis_fdrv

May 1, 2012
Also have this issue. As another temporary workaround: before turning on wifi, deactivate data network mode and wifi turns on fine. Hope this helps. Also hope for a proper hotfix.

jonny_ftm

Oct 12, 2010
Don't know, but
I removed most old widgets not updated and replaced with new ones updated after ICS
I freezed most Samsung useless processes
Since then, the wifi issue no longer happens and also no more FC despite intensive use

Could be something related to memory. I would recommend uninstall of most widgets, remove useless memory processes and freeze sammy apps.

If I notice anymore FC/wifi issue, I'll post back here, but in all cases, things improved a lot (by the way, Wifi is still on Auto 2.4 / 5 GHz)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why do you people use Siyah and complain?
    JUST USE THE STOCK KERNEL

THE STOCK KERNEL HAS THE WIFI BUG!

Give the guy a break - he wasn't complaining, merely pointing out that for him the Siyah kernel does not solve the wifi bug. Pretty useful information given that earlier posts are suggesting this might be a solution.
    I am facing same wifi freezing issue on Siyah v3.1rc5 kernel :(
    set the wifi to use 2.4Ghz. the bug hasn't occurred yet for 3 days. i always do on/off wifi because im mobile.

factory reset - doesnt work
    fresh odin flash - doesnt work, confirmed by others and a friend
    custom kernel - not sure, some positive and false positive results
    wifi direct toggle - temporary but sometimes work
    airplane mode toggle - same as wifi direct
    reboot - obviously fixes the issue.

when your phone sleeps and can't wake, dont remove the battery. press and hold on/lock button for 5 seconds. will do force reboot.
    Setting WiFi to 2.4GHz did not help, WiFi still freezes... :(