[SOLVED] Some Help please? A Strange Brick...

Search This thread

Ph0enix_216

So last night, I was beta testing a ROM. After playing with it for a while, decided to go back to my previous setup and work on something. I rebooted into TWRP, wiped my Dalvik Cache, data, cache, and system partitions, and tried to flash the nandroid of Kinology I had been running before testing the beta ROM. I rebooted... only to discover that my Kindle wouldn't boot past the 2nd bootloader.

I thought, "okay, no biggie, I can fix this. I tried wiping and then flashing a couple of other ROMs I had on my SD card. Didn't work. I rebooted the bootloader and flashed a trio of images I had on my hard drive via fastboot. Nope. I tried sideloading CM10.2. Still nope. I tried mounting USB and pushing a ROM to my SD card and flashing from there. Again, no (anyone noticing a pattern?).

No matter what I do, I can't flash anything or get anything to transfer over to my device.

Help!! :(

Last edited:

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Why do I get the feeling this has something to do with the boot image... Does it ever boot to the point you can logcat? Also I thought I read about some issues restoring nandroid's after the system was using selinux, though I haven't experienced this with mine. You tried cm 11? I know it had full selinux support. If you can't get the logcat to work I think there's a module that gets dumped that you can access in twrp over adb. And of all things to ask, if you flash the ROM in testing back does it still boot? If so that would make me think something weird is going on with the boot image. Also what version of twrp are you using?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

Ph0enix_216

Why do I get the feeling this has something to do with the boot image... Does it ever boot to the point you can logcat? Also I thought I read about some issues restoring nandroid's after the system was using selinux, though I haven't experienced this with mine. You tried cm 11? I know it had full selinux support. If you can't get the logcat to work I think there's a module that gets dumped that you can access in twrp over adb. And of all things to ask, if you flash the ROM in testing back does it still boot? If so that would make me think something weird is going on with the boot image. Also what version of twrp are you using?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

Thanks for answering. "adb logcat" doesn't work. It only shows "-waiting for device-". I tried flashing CM11 this morning, but the install failed. I also tried re-flashing your ROM again this morning, but same result. I've got TWRP 2.6.0.0. I've been meaning to flash the latest one from @Hashcode, but it slips my mind every time I think of it.

Something weird: whenever I push anything to the device over ADB, I push it to the SD card. But when I run "ls /sdcard/" in ADB shell, there's nothing there (even though it says it has been successfully pushed).

EDIT: Okay, I flashed the latest version of TWRP (2.6.3.1). I flashed CM11, and it reported that the flash was sucessful. But when I rebooted... nope.

Last edited:

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
This is weird... So weird. I'm almost at a loss, have you tried flashing a boot.IMG via fastboot corresponding with whatever ROM you flashed? I know I keep saying I think it's this without any real proof but this is kinda bizarre and if no ROM's are working and all you see is the kindkle logo I would assume that the init.RC scripts never got passed the pvrsrvinit or somewhere around that, possibly even before that since adb isn't working when the device is on the logo. You using adb from windows or Linux?

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
No matter what I do, I can't flash anything or get anything to transfer over to my device. Help!! :(

After I read this, I decided to try and restore and everything restored just fine *whew*. What I do know is that when ever this situation has come up (and a few people have stated they had this problem) only a complete factory restore fixed the problem. You're gonna have to break out the fastboot cord.

Ph0enix_216

This is weird... So weird. I'm almost at a loss, have you tried flashing a boot.IMG via fastboot corresponding with whatever ROM you flashed? I know I keep saying I think it's this without any real proof but this is kinda bizarre and if no ROM's are working and all you see is the kindkle logo I would assume that the init.RC scripts never got passed the pvrsrvinit or somewhere around that, possibly even before that since adb isn't working when the device is on the logo. You using adb from windows or Linux?

The init.RC scripts are still there, no matter how much I wipe in TWRP. I can see them using TWRPs file explorer. I haven't tried flashing the boot.img, I will try that. As for ADB, I'm using it on Windows 8, of all things.

Ph0enix_216

After I read this, I decided to try and restore and everything restored just fine *whew*. What I do know is that when ever this situation has come up (and a few people have stated they had this problem) only a complete factory restore fixed the problem. You're gonna have to break out the fastboot cord.

As I said before, I tried flashing two different sets of images via fastboot. Thanks for the response though. What all did you do in your restore process?

Ph0enix_216

UPDATE

Okay, I tried re-installing CM10.2, and then flashing the boot.img from it via fastboot. Still no dice.

Is there any hope of recovering from this? It's been longer than a year, so I don't think Amazon will simply switch it out under warranty.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Agh, I was going to ask hashcode about it on the irc earlier and I forgot about it because my friend asked me to fix his pc...

Also remind me to slap this phone's spell check. It took me way longer to write the previous statement than it should have.

Edit: he's still in there but I think he's afk right now.

Sent from my LG-P769 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
As I said before, I tried flashing two different sets of images via fastboot. Thanks for the response though. What all did you do in your restore process?

I just wiped and then restore 4.3 PA nandroid. That was another thin I forgot to mention.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Odex SinLess ROM 4.4.2 with ElementalX kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 04:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 AM ----------

I just wiped and then restore 4.3 PA nandroid. That was another thin I forgot to mention.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Odex SinLess ROM 4.4.2 with ElementalX kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I was gonna suggest to flash CM10.2 first and then move up to CM11 because that was the route those with this problem had to go (4.3 then 4.4.) Restoring CM11 right off the bat did not seem to work for some reason. That's why I keep a 4.3 nandroid in TWRP, for just such a case. But I see you tried that.

Ph0enix_216

That's weird, because I wiped then tried to restore my Kinology nandroid. Am I looking at an irreparable brick, or do I want to look into investing in a new tablet?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Wait until Monday, think you might get more info on a weekday... I have a theory of something that might fix your kindle but it could potentially hard brick it as well so I don't want to explain it yet until it's a last resort.

Edit: just talked to hashcode, he says to "adb pull /sdcard/ ." your sdcard and wipe internal storage, he also said because of kinology kernel not having selinux that if you want to use it you will have to downgrade twrp first and wipe everything again, you might find it easier to do it after flashing cm11 first. So basically back up the sdcard and wipe everything, check off everything including internal storage then push a Rom and flash it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ph0enix_216

Ph0enix_216

Wait until Monday, think you might get more info on a weekday... I have a theory of something that might fix your kindle but it could potentially hard brick it as well so I don't want to explain it yet until it's a last resort.

Edit: just talked to hashcode, he says to "adb pull /sdcard/ ." your sdcard and wipe internal storage, he also said because of kinology kernel not having selinux that if you want to use it you will have to downgrade twrp first and wipe everything again, you might find it easier to do it after flashing cm11 first. So basically back up the sdcard and wipe everything, check off everything including internal storage then push a Rom and flash it.

Checked everything. Wiped it all. Pushed a ROM via ADB. Not working.

I did some exploring with TWRP's built in file explorer. Despite wiping internal storage, I can still see some things I had on there previously. At the root of my device, however, I can also see this:

Code:
boot
cache
data
dev
efs
etc
license
proc
recovery
res
root
sbin
sdcard
supersu
sys
system
tmp
vendor
default.prop
file_contevts
fstab.bowser
fstab.goldfish
init
init.rc
property_contexts
seapp contexts
sepolicy
ueventd.bowser.rc
ueventd.goldfish.rc
ueventd.rc

I may be mistaken, but isn't that some of Firefox OS's stuff? The init.rc files you were talking about? It all may just mean nothing. Also, all my SD contents seem to be preserved in "/data/media/". I tried flashing CM11 from there as well. The flash was successful, but at boot... nada.

Still, thank you all for trying :)

Jserrano56

Nov 5, 2012
Frisco
Umm sorry I'm a little late to the party... Or funeral(if we cant fix your kindle) I was testing stunt's FireFox OS too and after testing I flashed back to my CM11 back up just fine, why not use the system image restore tool in the development section (minimize error, the tool is 99.9% fool proof) bailed me out multiple times when I thought my kindle was a goner(i know you manually flashed images. But why not try a tool?), and I have a theory... Stunt PMd me instructions on how to get the kindle to pick up/read the SD card I didn't try implementing the code because I'm not that techy but did you try it? What if the solution messed with your internal SD card since Firefox OS and Android Have their differences? Or something went wrong will modifying the commands stunts gave you?

And no...I'm not trying to insult Stunt's work or defame it, nothing is perfect and anything is possible so sorry if my response seems a bit disrespectful to the devs work.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I still think this has something to do with selinux... I would know more if you had a serial hookup to the kindles motherboard but I don't even have that, if I had some kernel output it would be useful... Those files you saw that I mentioned aren't Firefox OS specific, they are Linux specific, they are going to always appear there because they are loaded from the initial ram disk in the boot.IMG, since android uses a Linux kernel you have init.rc files and such. Some of those directories are from recovery, the folders that should know appear empty I think are /data, /cache, /system and I can't remember the rest offhand. I will have to ask hashcode about this more tomorrow. I can think of something you might do from fastboot that might fix this but I don't know the specifics and it might wipe the boot loader, which wouldn't necessarily be bad as long as you reflash it before rebooting, but I'd like to avoid my idea because it seems rather risky, anyways I will ask about this tomorrow, so don't look into my concept idea....

Ph0enix_216

when you said your sdcard contents are preserved, did you mean even after wiping internal storage that the sdcard's contents were still there?

Correct. Not only are they still there, but I can't seem to add anything to it. Pushing via ADB is successful on the PC end, but if I check the SD card, no change. Also, everything I had before the brick on my SD card is still in "/data/app", if that tells you anything.

Thanks for taking time to they and help me :)

>>>Sent from my ZTE Valet Z665C<<<

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Correct. Not only are they still there, but I can't seem to add anything to it. Pushing via ADB is successful on the PC end, but if I check the SD card, no change. Also, everything I had before the brick on my SD card is still in "/data/app", if that tells you anything.

ok um at this point hashcoed is helping me out and i tink i can fix it but it will be easier if i can msg you on skype or in the irc, whatever works best for ya, because this will involve some trial an error over an adb shell... i would try it on my own but it will involve me backing up quite a bit of data and you already have done that so i thought this might be easier than me formatting my own in the process...

Edit: Ok actaully try this first and see what happens, boot into recovery and run this in an adb shell
Code:
umount /data
mke2fs -T ext4 /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/userdata

that should actually format the userdata partition and hopefully fix this. though make sure that the unmount worked first, you don't want to try to format a partition while its mounted.

2nd edit:actually i'm a moron, you don't even need to umount /data, just uncheck it in the mount section, you can tell i'm way to used to normal linux... always a good idea to run mount and double check its not on the list but it shouldn't be.

Last edited:

Ph0enix_216

SUCESS!!!

ok um at this point hashcoed is helping me out and i tink i can fix it but it will be easier if i can msg you on skype or in the irc, whatever works best for ya, because this will involve some trial an error over an adb shell... i would try it on my own but it will involve me backing up quite a bit of data and you already have done that so i thought this might be easier than me formatting my own in the process...

Edit: Ok actaully try this first and see what happens, boot into recovery and run this in an adb shell
Code:
umount /data

that should actually format the userdata partition and hopefully fix this. though make sure that the unmount worked first, you don't want to try to format a partition while its mounted.

2nd edit:actually i'm a moron, you don't even need to umount /data, just uncheck it in the mount section, you can tell i'm way to used to normal linux... always a good idea to run mount and double check its not on the list but it shouldn't be.

SUCESS!!! I did what you said and formated the data partition, and I was able to successfully push CM11 to my Kindle. I flashed it, it reported the flash as successful, and I rebooted.. I was greeted by new CM11 boot animation (right now, it's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

Thank you to everyone who responded to this thread. It's nice to know that there are people nice enough out there to take the time and help someone in need.

Some questions though:
1.) With this SELinux or whatever, can I still switch ROMs as easily as I did before? Or am I now limited to CM11 and such?

2.) What exactly happened? I've never had this happen before, where my /data partition derped out and TWRP wouldn't flash anything.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I'm not to familiar with how selinux works but from we hat I remember I think it was something like this. You had a recovery that I think may have supported selinux but I'm not positive about that. The kinology ROM you had on there had no selinux support in the kernel. My ROM has some selinux support in it since I based it on 4.3, and I have no idea what happened that messed it up after that, all I can tell based on what you had to do to fix it is that the xattributes for selinux were not getting cleared off the partition and for some reason the ROM's that could handle selinux didn't seem to like it either. If you want to run kinology again you may need to downgrade twrp so you can reformat the partition again so it reformats without selinux but I'm a bit confused on this myself, this isn't my best field in computers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Umm sorry I'm a little late to the party... Or funeral(if we cant fix your kindle) I was testing stunt's FireFox OS too and after testing I flashed back to my CM11 back up just fine, why not use the system image restore tool in the development section (minimize error, the tool is 99.9% fool proof) bailed me out multiple times when I thought my kindle was a goner(i know you manually flashed images. But why not try a tool?), and I have a theory... Stunt PMd me instructions on how to get the kindle to pick up/read the SD card I didn't try implementing the code because I'm not that techy but did you try it? What if the solution messed with your internal SD card since Firefox OS and Android Have their differences? Or something went wrong will modifying the commands stunts gave you?

And no...I'm not trying to insult Stunt's work or defame it, nothing is perfect and anything is possible so sorry if my response seems a bit disrespectful to the devs work.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I still think this has something to do with selinux... I would know more if you had a serial hookup to the kindles motherboard but I don't even have that, if I had some kernel output it would be useful... Those files you saw that I mentioned aren't Firefox OS specific, they are Linux specific, they are going to always appear there because they are loaded from the initial ram disk in the boot.IMG, since android uses a Linux kernel you have init.rc files and such. Some of those directories are from recovery, the folders that should know appear empty I think are /data, /cache, /system and I can't remember the rest offhand. I will have to ask hashcode about this more tomorrow. I can think of something you might do from fastboot that might fix this but I don't know the specifics and it might wipe the boot loader, which wouldn't necessarily be bad as long as you reflash it before rebooting, but I'd like to avoid my idea because it seems rather risky, anyways I will ask about this tomorrow, so don't look into my concept idea....

Code:
    umount /data

I'm not to familiar with how selinux works but from we hat I remember I think it was something like this. You had a recovery that I think may have supported selinux but I'm not positive about that. The kinology ROM you had on there had no selinux support in the kernel. My ROM has some selinux support in it since I based it on 4.3, and I have no idea what happened that messed it up after that, all I can tell based on what you had to do to fix it is that the xattributes for selinux were not getting cleared off the partition and for some reason the ROM's that could handle selinux didn't seem to like it either. If you want to run kinology again you may need to downgrade twrp so you can reformat the partition again so it reformats without selinux but I'm a bit confused on this myself, this isn't my best field in computers.