[Q] Yellow screen tint?

Search This thread

wilskywalker

Dec 30, 2009
Hi all,

Has anybody else noticed a yellowish tint to their screen, especially when displaying lighter colours, white, light blue etc?

This only seems to be the case when looking directly at the screen. If I look at it from any sort of angle the yellow tint is not there.

Any info or confirmation that others are experiencing this too would be much appreciated. If this is a hardware issue then I will return my phone.

Thanks all :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wilskywalker

Dec 30, 2009
Sorry to bump this, but I assume the lack of replies means I'm alone with this issue?

Should I get my unit replaced or is this a software issue?

crocket2k

Jun 25, 2010
Mine is quite yellow too against my S2. Decided it must be faulty and it's going back.

Going to stick to my S2 with Cyanogen as it's much better...

seakins

Sep 15, 2010
Kent
When I go into my settings screen it has a yellowish tint in the bottom half of the screen where the top half is black.

When I go into my app drawer the background is black as it should be.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

Chrono_Tata

Sep 29, 2010
When I go into my settings screen it has a yellowish tint in the bottom half of the screen where the top half is black.

The gradient in the settings background is a feature. :p

wilskywalker

Dec 30, 2009
I have not noticed any yellow screen in the settings menu myself.

I have been reading that the Galaxy SII had similar yellow tint problems when released and that it was corrected with a software fix?

I'm more worried that this isn't a hardware fault more than anything, software faults don't worry me too much as I'm happy to wait for a fix...comes with the territory when owning a smartphone :)

wilskywalker

Dec 30, 2009
Think I will be returning my handset, the yellow tint combined with the volume problem is doing my head in!

seakins

Sep 15, 2010
Kent
I have been watching a few you tube clips and i don't see much yellowish tint on theirs but then again it does go completely black in the app drawer. :confused:
It really doesnt faze me as much as the volume issue though.

dnlsmy

Sep 16, 2010
Tampa/Orlando, Florida
I don't really know what to say, but let me give you my 2 cents.

First, AMOLED screens are all different for some reason, and I can vouch for this as I replaced my Nexus one 9 times for power button and various other issues, and each time the color temperature was different. Some were warmer (with a red tint) while others were cooler (blue tint). If you swap it, you might get a better tint, maybe even white if you're lucky.

Second, the Nexus S also had a tint problem (yellow tint) just like yours. The two display models at my BestBuy both are VERY YELLOW compared to my HTC Sensation and look really bad, but it might be because their screens were ruined from being on for so long. There was a post on XDA in the Nexus S forums who said he swapped until he got a "white tint" but then Google actually updated the Nexus S with different Color Settings and totally washed out his screen, while yellow tinted ones actually got better. If Google releases a color patch, you might not like it, but I don't think they will after the backlash from the Nexus S one.

tl;dr Get it swapped, it's a hardware issue. Swap until you get one you like, you paid for it, you deserve it. :)

Reactions: dreamray

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
Oh geez here go again, i thought the yellow tint was going to die with the galaxy s ii, guess not, it's alive again on the galaxy nexus , i swapped my galaxy s ii because the yellow tint was too distracting, in low "backlight" the white looked yellow :mad: , the one i got is less yellow but the colors dont pop as much as on the first galaxys ii i had :(

dnlsmy

Sep 16, 2010
Tampa/Orlando, Florida
Oh geez here go again, i thought the yellow tint was going to die with the galaxy s ii, guess not, it's alive again on the galaxy nexus , i swapped my galaxy s ii because the yellow tint was too distracting, in low "backlight" the white looked yellow :mad: , the one i got is less yellow but the colors dont pop as much as on the first galaxys ii i had :(

You're going to want LCD if you want perfection, but you'll give up great blacks and thinness+battery life, not to mention the phone entirely.

Keep swapping, took my 9 tries but it was worth it for my Nexus One :D

Reactions: ragiut1

juniorbattle

Aug 3, 2010

I've got the same 'issue'. While I understand it is a feature, it really looks odd/very greyish, especially on auto brightness.
BTW I'm starting to like that yellow tint. It really is helpful when browsing the Internet, because it's more pleasant for the eye.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

columbo

Aug 20, 2006
Got mine today. The yellow tint was the first thing I noticed. I know it's fixable, but it's annoying.

ardzuna

Dec 23, 2008
OMG, is it really as bad as in this video?
The Galaxy Nexus screen looks so yellow compared to iPhone 4S display :(

Andrmgic

Jul 19, 2010
It looks like he has auto-brightness enabled on the Galaxy Nexus.. it looks yellower unless you turn up the brightness.

ferris2375

Aug 27, 2010
The whites on the iPhone 4 are ridiculously clean and white, no phone compares to it. The blacks on the Nexus are also ridiculous and no phone (except other Super AMOLED phones) compare to it.

Take your pick, better whites, better blacks. The iPhone screen is still tops, but it's small. I have an iPhone 4 and a Nexus (just sold a GS2).

If I compare the screens side by side, then yeah, the utter blinding white of the iPhone 4 makes the Nexus white look kind of eggshell white, just not as bright or crisp. But using the Nexus on it's own and it's fine, white looks white enough when not being compared to the iPhone. The colors on the nexus are much more vivid and true to life than on the iPhone.

Nexus also has crisper text than on the iPhone 4 believe it or not. There is no perfect screen, all have +'s and -'s, you just have to pick which +'s you like best. For me it was the insane resolution, size and color accuracy of the Nexus. It's plenty bright, just not plenty white when compared to the ifruit. :D

Last edited:

noobdeagle

Apr 5, 2010
Adelaide, SA
actually the yellow issue on the GN appears to be because of the colour profiles that have been set in a similar way to how google updated the nexus S and altered the colors.

in AMOLED screens overtime the colours actually fade and become less vibrant now blue usually goes first and is at a much faster rate than the other colours.

considering that this fading occurs perhaps they deliberatly make the colours a bit 'warmer' to offset the blue fade time.

this was also interesting:

"Color balance issues
Additionally, as the OLED material used to produce blue light degrades significantly more rapidly than the materials that produce other colors, blue light output will decrease relative to the other colors of light. This variation in the differential color output will change the color balance of the display and is much more noticeable than a decrease in overall luminance.[63] This can be partially avoided by adjusting colour balance but this may require advanced control circuits and interaction with the user, which is unacceptable for some users. In order to delay the problem, manufacturers bias the colour balance towards blue so that the display initially has an artificially blue tint, leading to complaints of artificial-looking, over-saturated colors. More commonly, though, manufacturers optimize the size of the R, G and B subpixels to reduce the current density through the subpixel in order to equalize lifetime at full luminance. For example, a blue subpixel may be 100% larger than the green subpixel. The red subpixel may be 10% smaller than the green."

its quite possible that the tints that are experienced on oled devices are probably deliberate to offset the problems with oled technology.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't really know what to say, but let me give you my 2 cents.

First, AMOLED screens are all different for some reason, and I can vouch for this as I replaced my Nexus one 9 times for power button and various other issues, and each time the color temperature was different. Some were warmer (with a red tint) while others were cooler (blue tint). If you swap it, you might get a better tint, maybe even white if you're lucky.

Second, the Nexus S also had a tint problem (yellow tint) just like yours. The two display models at my BestBuy both are VERY YELLOW compared to my HTC Sensation and look really bad, but it might be because their screens were ruined from being on for so long. There was a post on XDA in the Nexus S forums who said he swapped until he got a "white tint" but then Google actually updated the Nexus S with different Color Settings and totally washed out his screen, while yellow tinted ones actually got better. If Google releases a color patch, you might not like it, but I don't think they will after the backlash from the Nexus S one.

tl;dr Get it swapped, it's a hardware issue. Swap until you get one you like, you paid for it, you deserve it. :)

You're going to want LCD if you want perfection, but you'll give up great blacks and thinness+battery life, not to mention the phone entirely.

Keep swapping, took my 9 tries but it was worth it for my Nexus One :D