[Q] Youtube issue under Cyanogenmod 11

Search This thread

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
I'm running Cyanogenmod 11 on my Mega 6.3. The attached pic shows YouTube while playing a video. Can anyone please suggest what is happening here, and a fix? Other videos in other apps play just fine.
Possibly also relevant; a couple of apps that need to play mp3 or wav files, at the point of having to do so crash, bringing up an error message. I can live with that problem, but I would like to get on top of the Youtube one.
Any thoughts, anyone? Cheers.

Attachments

• Youtube.jpg
    Youtube.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 230

jzsidebott

Apr 23, 2011
I'm running Cyanogenmod 11 on my Mega 6.3. The attached pic shows YouTube while playing a video. Can anyone please suggest what is happening here, and a fix? Other videos in other apps play just fine.
Possibly also relevant; a couple of apps that need to play mp3 or wav files, at the point of having to do so crash, bringing up an error message. I can live with that problem, but I would like to get on top of the Youtube one.
Any thoughts, anyone? Cheers.

If you use an older version of Youtube, does it do the same thing?

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
If you use an older version of Youtube, does it do the same thing?

Forgive me, I'm new to ROMs and flashing, I thought YouTube was baked in, I didn't realise it could be uninstalled and reinstalled! I've done just that, but of course the Play Store has only the latest version. Can you point me in the direction of an earlier version apk?

jzsidebott

Apr 23, 2011
Forgive me, I'm new to ROMs and flashing, I thought YouTube was baked in, I didn't realise it could be uninstalled and reinstalled! I've done just that, but of course the Play Store has only the latest version. Can you point me in the direction of an earlier version apk?

Here ya go just unzip and drop the apk to your phone and install.

I grabbed it from this post (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=44626173#post44626173) but should work for ya.

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
Here ya go just unzip and drop the apk to your phone and install.

I grabbed it from this post (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=44626173#post44626173) but should work for ya.

Many thanks indeed. I'm grateful. But sadly the same problem occurs, I'm afraid. Interestingly, this afternoon I downloaded and tried a couple of YouTube alternative apps. I didn't like either because they wouldn't play full screen, however they did play video perfectly...?

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
Many thanks indeed. I'm grateful. But sadly the same problem occurs, I'm afraid. Interestingly, this afternoon I downloaded and tried a couple of YouTube alternative apps. I didn't like either because they wouldn't play full screen, however they did play video perfectly...?

Update:
I've settled on "Video Tube", which does play in full-screen and which, to be honest, I think I prefer to Youtube, so I'm happy to stick with that. But the Youtube issue is baffling, and I'd now be very interested if anyone can suggest why certain apps, at the point where they have to play wav or mp3 files, crash ...?

Silesh.Nair

Mar 19, 2012
There is no YouTube issue on cm afaik, at least not in the latest build....

Sent from my GT_I9205 using Tapatalk

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
There is no YouTube issue on cm afaik, at least not in the latest build....

Thanks. As a newbie, I'm presuming "cm afaik" is another ROM? It took me two full days to settle into Cyanogenmod and set up all my preferences, tweeks, etc. I'm not ready to face all that again just yet!

Silesh.Nair

Mar 19, 2012
No. Afaik as in as far as I know....

If you are already running cm ROM, you just need to wipe dalvik/cache to update. You will not lose your data or settings...

Silesh.Nair

Mar 19, 2012
Process is very simple. Download ROM. Download gapps of your preference though I suggest banks core. Reboot to recovery. Wipe dalvik/cache only. Flash rom followed by gapps. Reboot.

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
Process is very simple. Download ROM. Download gapps of your preference though I suggest banks core. Reboot to recovery. Wipe dalvik/cache only. Flash rom followed by gapps. Reboot.

Thanks again, but I have to remind you that although I'm computer literate I'm completely new to flashing phones. I have no idea what "gapps" are, so how will I know which I prefer?! And "Banks core" is Greek to me, I'm afraid!
And surely if I "Flash ROM followed by gapps", that entails then re-loading all my apps and data again, which I really don't want to have to do?
I'll leave it for now, but I'm grateful for your help nevertheless. Cheers.

Silesh.Nair

Mar 19, 2012
That's ok, but trust me when I say that you will not lose any data.

Gapps is Google Apps. Banks core is a gapps pack made by an xda user BaNkS. You will find it here. I like to flash just the core package which contains only Google playstore & Google play services. All other google apps i need, I download from play store.

This is just for your info...

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
That's ok, but trust me when I say that you will not lose any data.

Gapps is Google Apps. Banks core is a gapps pack made by an xda user BaNkS. You will find it here. I like to flash just the core package which contains only Google playstore & Google play services. All other google apps i need, I download from play store.

This is just for your info...

Thanks again. I'm certainly interested to learn all of this. I just don't want to learn by messing up all my settings, or worse still bricking my phone, in the process, that's all!
So what exactly IS the dalvik/cache? Are you saying that I could boot into recovery, wipe the dalvik/cache and then come out again, and my setup, data, settings, etc would all still be fine? In which case, would it be a good idea for me to do that? What does wiping the dalvik/cache achieve?