[Q] Yet another boot looped N4, tried all, need expert help to recover user files..

Search This thread

ozgurust

Jan 10, 2013
I have been using the stock 4.4.4 for a while with some occasional crashes and reboots in Skype. Then one day, when I turned on my device, the boot loop struck out of the blue! I had only installed some apps, nothing ROM related was changed.

I need some expert help with recovering my user files (some images in non standard folders, game saves etc..)

Symptoms:
*The device is stuck at the circle logo and won't boot up.
*The boot loader is unlocked, USB debugging is enabled and the device was rooted before with version 4.2, upgraded to stock after that at least twice and lost root.
*When connected to PC, auto driver loading fails with MTP but I hear a USB connection sound when I turn on and off the phone. Although, the device is not recognized in "My computer". I see an "Android Device" and/or "android bootloader interface" in Device Manager.

What I tried:
*Tried wugfresh's toolkit and re-installed all google drivers but when I run adb/fasboot commands from within the toolkit, my device is not listed in either list. I get a blank list of devices.
* I can get to the recovery mode in stock boot loader after the "No data" screen and tried wiping user cache, did no good.

What I would like to achieve:
* Ideally I would like to be able to boot into the system without losing any user data and run my backup app and/or connect via USB to backup files on PC.
* If above wouldn't be possible, accessing files externally would also do as a last resort.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

Last edited:

prasanth21

Aug 22, 2014
Kottayam
I have been using the stock 4.4.4 for a while with some occasional crashes and reboots in Skype. Then one day, when I turned on my device, the boot loop struck out of the blue! I had only installed some apps, nothing ROM related was changed.

I need some expert help with recovering my user files (some images in non standard folders, game saves etc..)

Symptoms:
*The device is stuck at the circle logo and won't boot up.
*The boot loader is unlocked, USB debugging is enabled and the device was rooted before with version 4.2, upgraded to stock after that at least twice and lost root.
*When connected to PC, auto driver loading fails with MTP but I hear a USB connection sound when I turn on and off the phone. Although, the device is not recognized in "My computer". I see an "Android Device" and/or "android bootloader interface" in Device Manager.

What I tried:
*Tried wugfresh's toolkit and re-installed all google drivers but when I run adb/fasboot commands from within the toolkit, my device is not listed in either list. I get a blank list of devices.
* I can get to the recovery mode in stock boot loader after the "No data" screen and tried wiping user cache, did no good.

What I would like to achieve:
* Ideally I would like to be able to boot into the system without losing any user data and run my backup app and/or connect via USB to backup files on PC.
* If above wouldn't be possible, accessing files externally would also do as a last resort.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

Do you have clockwork mod installed?
You might be able to pull the important stuff over ADB when the phones in recovery
If ADB on your computer recognizes and can connect to your phone you can probably pull off the files
Try this: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/all-in-one-guide-to-adb/

ozgurust

Jan 10, 2013
Do you have clockwork mod installed?
You might be able to pull the important stuff over ADB when the phones in recovery
If ADB on your computer recognizes and can connect to your phone you can probably pull off the files
Try this: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/all-in-one-guide-to-adb/

Thanks for the suggestion. As a matter of fact, while waiting desperately for a reply here, I tried to flash TWRP recovery and managed to adb pull data and sdcard directories over to my PC. And then a factory reset brought my device back to life.

It's a bummer that all of my home screen settings and account settings are reset..

The question now is how to copy over the backup data back to the phone..

DrFredPhD

Oct 30, 2010
adb push will put them back, but your phone will probably mount normally and show up in 'My Computer' now so you could just do that.

prasanth21

Aug 22, 2014
Kottayam
Thanks for the suggestion. As a matter of fact, while waiting desperately for a reply here, I tried to flash TWRP recovery and managed to adb pull data and sdcard directories over to my PC. And then a factory reset brought my device back to life.

It's a bummer that all of my home screen settings and account settings are reset..

The question now is how to copy over the backup data back to the phone..

I'm glad you were able to pull off the files from the phone.

You can use the adb push command to put the data back into the phone
Try this : adb push /path/to/local/file /mnt/sdcard/path/to/file
or
adb -s [yourdeviceserialnumberhere] push /system/[whateverdirectory]

You can check out this too : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2167651
The post clearly explains multiple adb commands
Hope it helps!