S5 Root Obtained (Now Released) - Could Be Hope For OTA 4.4.2 N3 Soon

Search This thread

fletch33

Jan 9, 2010
here is the link and here is the info:

So admittedly he is not the first to root the Galaxy S5. He is however the first to post proof that his personal Galaxy S5 has been rooted. The name Geohot may be pretty familiar to you. Geohot is most famous for jailbreaking the PS3. This made national headlines when Sony fought back by suing Geohot. Sony was concerned that the jailbreak would lead to piracy even though Geohot was only restoring a native function that Sony had taken away from the PS3 in an update, the ability to run a homebrew OS like Linux. It was actually not possible to pirate games with the Geohot jailbreak. Before the PS3 Jailbreak Geohot was also a well known IOS jailbreaker.

Today he posted an Image of a Galaxy S5 with Root! He also said that he would not be releasing the method "No release ever!". He didn't say why. In his post he gave credit to Pinkie Pie for the vulnerability, Ricky for the methodology, and Chainfire for the persists. He encourages everyone to "Go ahead and try", but says that this took him 4 days to achieve root. In its current state it wouldn't even be releasable to the masses. After speaking with one very well known vulnerability expert earlier today it is clear that while there are a hand full of developers that have rooted their personal Galaxy S5, there is currently no plan to release this Root to the masses.

The vuln expert that I spoke with who will rename nameless said,
geohot's exploit (while impressive) isnt honestly stable enough to release, it has low chance of working, and is kernel specific
At any rate it seems that this will all point those in the know in the right direction and we may very well have a way to root our Verizon and AT&T Galaxy S5's in the coming weeks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Marlon1691

Feb 16, 2014
Note 3 NCR root?

On my browser, this thread is showing up under Verizon Galaxy Note 3 General > S5 Root Obtained ...

I mention this because I had to upgrade to NC4 on my Note 3 and I lost root so since this thread is under the Note 3 forum, does that mean people expect the S5 exploit to work for the Note 3? Once the exploit works of course!

Last edited:
Reactions: RK KINGKONG

mjh68

Apr 20, 2010
On my browser, this thread is showing up under Verizon Galaxy Note 3 General > S5 Root Obtained ...

I mention this because I had to upgrade to NC4 on my Note 3 and I lost root so since this thread is under the Note 3 forum, does that mean people expect the S5 exploit to work for the Note 3?
I think people hope that, but from reading the article highly unlikely. Sounds like the devs , that have root on the s5 feel it's a very high risk exploit and not really usable by the public. The article also points out its kernel specific so that means it would need further tweaking for the Note 3. I have a feeling with new devices being released, the interest won't be there to keep working that hard at it. Just my opinion obviously [emoji39]

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Marlon1691

Feb 16, 2014
how to start a Note 3 bounty?

I think people hope that, but from reading the article highly unlikely. Sounds like the devs , that have root on the s5 feel it's a very high risk exploit and not really usable by the public. The article also points out its kernel specific so that means it would need further tweaking for the Note 3. I have a feeling with new devices being released, the interest won't be there to keep working that hard at it. Just my opinion obviously [emoji39]

My Note 3 is a killer phone and I am guessing others feel the same way about their Note 3s. How do we go about organizing a bounty for a Note 3 NC4 root?

fletch33

Jan 9, 2010
I would put my money on if it works for S5 it will work with little or no alterations on N3. I posted that here on purpose because of that.

Word on street is that this will develop in a solution for all.

At least at this point we know it has been accomplished :)

Marlon1691

Feb 16, 2014
it works; donated!

OMG! It worked painlessly!

Only problem I had is that SuperSU on playstore didn't work properly.

Donated my $100. Please don't forget to donate! We need to support great work like this!

Note 3; NC4; Verizon

RK KINGKONG

May 26, 2011
Paterson,N.J
the Towelroot method works for the verizon stock 4.4.2 however find the updated SuperSu not the one in the playstore .... when you first verify root and install SuperSu it might install the binary updates at the moment but once you reboot and restart the app it will ask you to update the binary then faill ... so after extensive search as to why this was happening ... notice ... i had already rooted , installed Su & Busy Box {app store version of BB} Then after manually deleting the previous su files by going into my root explorer system/xbin/su file deleting it then deleting the app itself ... i rebooted .. re installed the updated 2.0.2 Su not the 1.96 or whatever that is ...... now that i only started up Su for the first time it will update ... now to avoid the trouble of it asking over and over again to update binary .. i found out that for some weird reason after i actually installed safe strap the updated version

you need these versions .. although theres said to be an updated version of SafeStrap that fixes the extra slot option ... where as this safe strap forces you to use the stock slot to flash because the dev is working on a fix ...

so to finish basically what fixed my issue with the binary having to update everytime you restart SuperSu , i truly believe was just installing SafeStrap . because there after i can open up Su without it asking me to update again and again ... i hope this helps someone ...

Safestrap 3.72 SuperSu 2.02

mt2020

Sep 13, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5
the Towelroot method works for the verizon stock 4.4.2 however find the updated SuperSu not the one in the playstore .... when you first verify root and install SuperSu it might install the binary updates at the moment but once you reboot and restart the app it will ask you to update the binary then faill ... so after extensive search as to why this was happening ... notice ... i had already rooted , installed Su & Busy Box {app store version of BB} Then after manually deleting the previous su files by going into my root explorer system/xbin/su file deleting it then deleting the app itself ... i rebooted .. re installed the updated 2.0.2 Su not the 1.96 or whatever that is ...... now that i only started up Su for the first time it will update ... now to avoid the trouble of it asking over and over again to update binary .. i found out that for some weird reason after i actually installed safe strap the updated version

you need these versions .. although theres said to be an updated version of SafeStrap that fixes the extra slot option ... where as this safe strap forces you to use the stock slot to flash because the dev is working on a fix ...

so to finish basically what fixed my issue with the binary having to update everytime you restart SuperSu , i truly believe was just installing SafeStrap . because there after i can open up Su without it asking me to update again and again ... i hope this helps someone ...

Wow. I guess I was lucky. I am on Verizon - stock 4.4.2. All I did was run Towelroot. Then rebooted and downloaded superuser v3.1.3 from Playstore (free version)

Everything worked perfect.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    here is the link and here is the info:

So admittedly he is not the first to root the Galaxy S5. He is however the first to post proof that his personal Galaxy S5 has been rooted. The name Geohot may be pretty familiar to you. Geohot is most famous for jailbreaking the PS3. This made national headlines when Sony fought back by suing Geohot. Sony was concerned that the jailbreak would lead to piracy even though Geohot was only restoring a native function that Sony had taken away from the PS3 in an update, the ability to run a homebrew OS like Linux. It was actually not possible to pirate games with the Geohot jailbreak. Before the PS3 Jailbreak Geohot was also a well known IOS jailbreaker.

Today he posted an Image of a Galaxy S5 with Root! He also said that he would not be releasing the method "No release ever!". He didn't say why. In his post he gave credit to Pinkie Pie for the vulnerability, Ricky for the methodology, and Chainfire for the persists. He encourages everyone to "Go ahead and try", but says that this took him 4 days to achieve root. In its current state it wouldn't even be releasable to the masses. After speaking with one very well known vulnerability expert earlier today it is clear that while there are a hand full of developers that have rooted their personal Galaxy S5, there is currently no plan to release this Root to the masses.

The vuln expert that I spoke with who will rename nameless said,
    geohot's exploit (while impressive) isnt honestly stable enough to release, it has low chance of working, and is kernel specific
    At any rate it seems that this will all point those in the know in the right direction and we may very well have a way to root our Verizon and AT&T Galaxy S5's in the coming weeks!
    Note 3 NCR root?

I mention this because I had to upgrade to NC4 on my Note 3 and I lost root so since this thread is under the Note 3 forum, does that mean people expect the S5 exploit to work for the Note 3? Once the exploit works of course!

I mention this because I had to upgrade to NC4 on my Note 3 and I lost root so since this thread is under the Note 3 forum, does that mean people expect the S5 exploit to work for the Note 3?

how to start a Note 3 bounty?

My Note 3 is a killer phone and I am guessing others feel the same way about their Note 3s. How do we go about organizing a bounty for a Note 3 NC4 root?

Wow. I guess I was lucky. I am on Verizon - stock 4.4.2. All I did was run Towelroot. Then rebooted and downloaded superuser v3.1.3 from Playstore (free version)

Everything worked perfect.