Developing App to change IMEI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jacko6969

May 30, 2007
Is anyone aware of something like this, or what would be involved?

Before I am assaulted for asking this question, the reason it is of interest of me is not because I have a stolen phone, but T-Mobile US is now blocking certain data plans by identifying handsets by IMEI number.

I recently bought a unlocked HTC Magic and inserted my SIM card which worked just fine on a T-Mobile Shadow (HTC Juno). The data plan worked for a few hours, and then was blocked because the T-Mobile network recognizes these phones IMEI as a G1. The data plan I actually had (per the recommendation of a T-Mobile rep), was a Blackberry plan with an International E-Mail Roaming package (as I travel frequently internationally). After many hours on the phone with them trying to find a solution, T-Mobile determined there was not a solution and I could not use the HTC Magic with my plans.

Given these changes on the T-Mobile US network are relatively new, and the imminent growth of Android handsets, I believe there could be a market for such an application.

Lastly, according to my research, in the United States, there are no laws that exist which bar changing of an IMEI number. So, to all of you vigilantes out there, please leave law enforcement up to the police.

ChaoticEko

Jan 28, 2009
from what i understand, every time the phone is booted up, it connects to the carrier to let it know what your IMEI is, then associates your account(your number, sms, email, etc) to that imei. if you change it, you could run the risk of picking someone else's imei and start receiving some of their things(from what i understand, although i could be a bit off.) but from the bit of info i have read online about it, its similar to MAC address Spoofing on a pc, in respects to what need to be done and how and what it works for.

Status
Not open for further replies.