Triumph won't charge

Search This thread

Misfit77

Mar 31, 2011
I got my Triumph and it will not charge no matter where I have plugged it in or fiddled with the charger. It does not matter whether it is on or off. I have been using the wall charger that's included and I have tried USB through my computer. Before I go to the hassle of sending my triumph back I wanted to see if there is a solution. Thanks in advance.

sggavin

Dec 20, 2010
Jumpstart

My triumph would not even turn on strait out of the box. I had to "Jumpstart" the battery, here is a link on how to do it. thejosea.com/2011/02/jump-start-your-droid-when-no-wall.html (Sorry i cant post links yet, gonna have to copy paste)

You pretty much have to charge the battery by its self outside of the phone. Once you do this let it sit charging for about 20 minutes then try to charge it through the phone.

You should only have to do this once.

It seems like the batteries are not being shipped charged and they run "Dry".

cutterjohn

Jul 30, 2010
You MIGHT want to try a different USB cable.

I'm using my Nook Color adapter(1A) and a generic USB cord which works fine, however one time I accidentally used my Optimus V cable and it would NOT charge while the MT was up and running, however it WOULD charge IF I powered down the MT...

I haven't even tried the cable that came with MT yet... nor have I tried charging via a USB port on my nb, but I imagine that would be REALLY sssslllloooowwwww....

emkorial

Mar 2, 2008
I exchanged my device for a new one, and with my new phone, when plugged in, the lock screen no longer shows "Chargin" with the %. Any ideas how to bring it back?

Genesis3

Feb 17, 2006
market-ticker.org
Same cord? The AC pins have to be shorted or it won't go into AC charge mode. I have a couple of USB cords that work fine for connections to the computer but will not go into AC mode (the USB cords that come with the Optimus are known for doing this on other phones, incidentally....)

It'll charge without AC mode being "engaged" but at the 500ma rate instead of the 1A rate, so it will take a lot longer.

nickmcnamara

Feb 24, 2010
Simpsonville, SC
the answer is simple.....due to crappy crappy design of micro usb the charge port actually comes un-soldered from the board and obviously it no longer will charge nor will usb work!!! now before you ramble on with how do i know i wondered why mine wouldn't worked i opened the phone and notice the micro usb pins were not attached anymore....i have sent this in to Motorola which gives you a 2 year warranty instead of virgin mobiles crap $5 a month insurence then you still have to pay like $100 to get a new phone!!! so i will post how everything goes so far i know the repair center is in McAllen TX and they give you a free 2day shipping label valued at $100 to send in the phone!

tcross8361

Dec 31, 2010
You might want to try plugging it into a wall (not pc) and leave it for 20 minutes. Mine ran completely dry one time and it wouldn't display nothing until it charged for a while. If you've already tried this then definitely take it back.

nickmcnamara

Feb 24, 2010
Simpsonville, SC
the answer is simple.....due to crappy crappy design of micro usb the charge port actually comes un-soldered from the board and obviously it no longer will charge nor will usb work!!! now before you ramble on with how do i know i wondered why mine wouldn't worked i opened the phone and notice the micro usb pins were not attached anymore....i have sent this in to Motorola which gives you a 2 year warranty instead of virgin mobiles crap $5 a month insurence then you still have to pay like $100 to get a new phone!!! so i will post how everything goes so far i know the repair center is in McAllen TX and they give you a free 2day shipping label valued at $100 to send in the phone!
*update* They are fixing my phone now and i should get it in 5-7 business days no problems they received the phone and started the repair

Froxen

Sep 26, 2011
I had the same problem but different solution.

I too let my phone completely discharge to find that it would not indicate that it was charging or even power on with or without the battery being present, but I "jumped started" my phone. This is a weird technical solution that went as followed in its entirety, meaning, some of these steps might be pointless or useless but I did them and I now have a working resurrected MT in my hands that is charging. This solution is assuming that there is no problem with the micro USB soldering on the main board.

"Jump Starting"

1) Remove the back casing and your MT battery and place both to the side, but keep the battery close by for polarity reference.

2) Have another battery of the same 3.7v that is charged (disregarding mAh).

3) Now here is the fun part and pay CLOSE ATTENTION to POLARITY!!!
-Get two spare wires, preferably of different colors so you can tell the [+] from the [-].
-With the spare 3.7v battery you have, in what ever way you can, connect your spare wires to it, paying close attention to polarity.
-Now that you have your spare battery wired, CORRECTLY connect the wires to the inside connectors of your MT what ever way you can, paying close attention to polarity.
Being [+] connected to [+] and [-] connected to[-]

4) Boot your phone until you know you are at the home/lock screen. Then remove the wires from the MT battery connectors.

5) Use this same battery and connect it to your battery for about 30-60 seconds, paying close attention to polarity. This will give the battery some juice for the system to recognize.

6) Place the battery back in the phone without attempting to turn it on and return the back case to the closed position.

7) Now connect your MT to a powered micro USB cable and see if the red indicator charging light turns on.
-If so then great!
-If not then you may have some other problems
-If yes and no, as in the cable has to set a certain way for it to charge then just keep on reading for that fix as well.

"Loose Connection Fix"

This is how I fixed my loose micro USB cable and it worked for me, but I do not have soldering problems on my main board of my MT so proceed if you think this will help.

1) Your micro USB male side of the cable that plugs into your MT should look something like this (excuse the crude drawing of letters)

{the dots are empty space}

2) Get a pair of needle nose pliers and SLIGHTLY pinch/squeeze the center of the male port closed so it looks like this

____...... ____
\.... \...... /.... /
\UUUUUU/

Except not that extremely bent inward, but you get the idea.

This will force the male tongue in the MT charging port to be forced onto the pins inside the micro USB cable for a better connection and thus fixing the loose connection problem

I hope this helps someone, it helped me save my $300 paper weight from actually being a paper weight.

Last edited:

aspecialdad

Jan 16, 2012
I too let my phone completely discharge to find that it would not indicate that it was charging or even power on with or without the battery being present, but I "jumped started" my phone. This is a weird technical solution that went as followed in its entirety, meaning, some of these steps might be pointless or useless but I did them and I now have a working resurrected MT in my hands that is charging. This solution is assuming that there is no problem with the micro USB soldering on the main board.

"Jump Starting"

1) Remove the back casing and your MT battery and place both to the side, but keep the battery close by for polarity reference.

2) Have another battery of the same 3.7v that is charged (disregarding mAh).

3) Now here is the fun part and pay CLOSE ATTENTION to POLARITY!!!
-Get two spare wires, preferably of different colors so you can tell the [+] from the [-].
-With the spare 3.7v battery you have, in what ever way you can, connect your spare wires to it, paying close attention to polarity.
-Now that you have your spare battery wired, CORRECTLY connect the wires to the inside connectors of your MT what ever way you can, paying close attention to polarity.
Being [+] connected to [+] and [-] connected to[-]

4) Boot your phone until you know you are at the home/lock screen. Then remove the wires from the MT battery connectors.

5) Use this same battery and connect it to your battery for about 30-60 seconds, paying close attention to polarity. This will give the battery some juice for the system to recognize.

6) Place the battery back in the phone without attempting to turn it on and return the back case to the closed position.

7) Now connect your MT to a powered micro USB cable and see if the red indicator charging light turns on.
-If so then great!
-If not then you may have some other problems
-If yes and no, as in the cable has to set a certain way for it to charge then just keep on reading for that fix as well.

"Loose Connection Fix"

This is how I fixed my loose micro USB cable and it worked for me, but I do not have soldering problems on my main board of my MT so proceed if you think this will help.

1) Your micro USB male side of the cable that plugs into your MT should look something like this (excuse the crude drawing of letters)

{the dots are empty space}

2) Get a pair of needle nose pliers and SLIGHTLY pinch/squeeze the center of the male port closed so it looks like this

____...... ____
\.... \...... /.... /
\UUUUUU/

Except not that extremely bent inward, but you get the idea.

This will force the male tongue in the MT charging port to be forced onto the pins inside the micro USB cable for a better connection and thus fixing the loose connection problem

I hope this helps someone, it helped me save my $300 paper weight from actually being a paper weight.

I let my battery die down and also did a battery memory reset, then the phone acted bricked.

Then I tried this to revive and it worked!

Thanks for the help here I did this but when I connected the batter to the phone nothing happened. I connected battery to battery let sit for about 90 sec put it in phone and plugged in and the red light is now on!

Thanks!

netscorer

Mar 1, 2011
Well,

add my phone to the list. It started about 2 weeks ago when after completing charge, instead of maintaining trickle charge it just let battery drain. I woke up couple of times in the morning finding the phone's battery on it's last legs. Now it simply refuses to charge by anything but my car charger. Lucky for me (and I thought I would never say it in my life) I have a long commute to work and it allows me to recharge the phone while I enjoy typical traffic delights.
I am going to call Motorola and discuss my options with them. I hate doing this as my phone is long since rooted and running CM7, so I will probably have to revert to factory settings before sending it off and if they decide to exchange I would be running a chance of receiving one with bad GPS.

Dirsk

Feb 10, 2012
Sorry, I'm somewhat new here.

I have a Motorola Triumph and it just stopped working. The general idea is that the Micro-USB port was shoved up into the device?

How do you go about contacting Motorola about sending it back to be repaired?

jaaydogg

Dec 8, 2011
Prescott, AZ
I have delt with this problem SO MUCH, have you tried my battery charging fix yet ? I have the link posted in this section called battery charging fix, Hope this helps you it sucks when your phone won't charge.

Reactions: Dirsk

Dirsk

Feb 10, 2012
Well the problem is that it won't even turn on. I think the battery has some kind of charge but when I hit the power button, it vibrates like it's booting up then stays off.

I don't know that much about phones, but from what I can gather off Google and the various threads on XDA (Great site, by the way!) the general consensus is that it's the micro-usb port.

Granted, I may be wrong, which is a very real possibility. Heh.

jaaydogg

Dec 8, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Well 2 things, have you replaced your recovery with the clockwork recovery image ? If so try any means nessary to get into recovery, My old Triumph would NOT charge with any motorola charger, I belive this is a defect with the triumph. You might try a powermat of some kind to get enough power to get to recovery & do what my guide says to fix this most pain in the ass problem, Or get another battery & follow the guide. It's worth a shot anyway. otherwise you've got two options replace it or open it up, if you're gonna open it up then get a super fine sautering tip or file one down to needle size, this is how I do precision sautering on circut boards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirsk

Dirsk

Feb 10, 2012
No, I had downloaded Clockwork with the intention of installing a 2.3 rom on it, but never got around to it. As for the charger, my Triumph charges with any micro-USB, from my old LG and Samsung chargers to the Motorola charger that came with it. It acts weird though when I plug it into a computer, saying it is connected to a computer, then that it's not, then that it is, then that it's not, repeatedly. I usually just end up turning it off so it won't do that.

I find it weird, though, that now when I try to charge it, the charging light up where the speaker is will not come on, as if it isn't charging. (And I don't think it is charging.)

I've also tried putting it into the "recovery mode". (Like I say, not too knowledgeable about phones yet. :( Learning experience. ) When I boot it up (into "recovery mode" or "regular" (?) mode) it just vibrates like it should then does nothing.

Edit: It finally did boot into the "recovery mode", but the touch button things at the bottom (menu, home, back, and search) don't do anything, and I cannot get into the menu to do a factory reset.

I don't think it's the battery now? I am more confused then I was when I started, and appreciate any and all help!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have delt with this problem SO MUCH, have you tried my battery charging fix yet ? I have the link posted in this section called battery charging fix, Hope this helps you it sucks when your phone won't charge.
    Well 2 things, have you replaced your recovery with the clockwork recovery image ? If so try any means nessary to get into recovery, My old Triumph would NOT charge with any motorola charger, I belive this is a defect with the triumph. You might try a powermat of some kind to get enough power to get to recovery & do what my guide says to fix this most pain in the ass problem, Or get another battery & follow the guide. It's worth a shot anyway. otherwise you've got two options replace it or open it up, if you're gonna open it up then get a super fine sautering tip or file one down to needle size, this is how I do precision sautering on circut boards.
    You need clockwork for this to work, 2nd LG chargers do not work on the Motorola Triumph ! 3rd the soft keys don't do anything in stock recovery. If you can boot into downloader mode do the clockwork image swap & i'll be able to help you. Good Luck man if you need any more help let me know.

EDIT: to get into downloader mode hold volume down & power then connect it to your PC, when it opens the drive on your PC open the folder & swap the stock recovery image with the clockwork image, then proceed with the battery fix guide. To boot into clockwork hold volume up & down plus power, hold these buttons until it boots into clockwork
    Ok i've got a question for you, when you did the recovery image swap did you delete the whole folder or just replace the recovery image, because i made this mistake & all the phone would do is vibrate no screen. Sound familar ? I most certainly know how to fix that.
    No that sounds right, that's how i put clockwork my Triumph & my wife's. Is it clockwork that's on your phone ? What happens if you plug it into your PC while it's vibrating ? does it try to open anything ?

EDIT: This sound odd but have you tried turning it on without the SD card in ?