Dual-boot of Sammy and AOSP is working!

Search This thread

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
FYI - DerTeufel1980 had a solid kernel working fairly quickly and has since worked on the recovery mods to allow installing two ROMs, etc. He has been working through a few items such as USB only working for charging, etc. He is making progress though. :)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
DerTeufel1980 has a dual-boot kernel working for the Samsung Galaxy line (Captivate, etc). With our help, he has been able to purchase a Note II to work on and I have been updating this thread with donation promises.
The post is below. You can look at his stats (a recognized developer with close to 13,000 thanks) and know that he can be trusted. Just to have him working on the Note II will be a great addition. I started the thread on the AT&T forum and then added it in the N7100/N7105 forum when I realized he lives in Germany. He and I have committed a fair amount of $ to make this happen so if you feel inclined to help out then it would be appreciated.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38121246&postcount=27

$200 loan for now. - RichMD
$25 - ceo.mtcl
PAID - $10 - rayandreas
PAID - $50 - mocsab
>=$10 - trism@jtype.net
PAID - $29 - btpd21
PAID - $25 - Jamice4u
PAID - $10 - Shinkinrui
PAID - $5 - muqali
PAID - $10 - rlee008
$5 - kingP1n
$5 - deviusdragger
$5 - lovekeiiy
PAID - $15 CDKJudoka
PAID - $5 ristiisa
PAID - $10 Grant Barker
** After the kernel is working - $100 - PhxDroid86
** After the kernel is working - $20 - Markor13
** After the kernel is working - $15 - trevor7428
** After the kernel is working - $30 - kashortiexda

Update 5/25 - DerTeufel1980 has spent a while perfecting a universal kernel that works on AOSP and Sammy ROMs. The thread is here > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453
He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :p

Last edited:

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
Changed the OP to ask if anyone would be willing to risk donating $5.00 for the capability. Again, nobody would need to donate until we gather enough donation promises to allow purchasing a device.

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
Re: Would you risk donating $5.00 for dual-boot capability?

I would be willing to spend $5. I would really like something Boot Manager. That was one of the best apps I had the Evo 4G. Let you have a nice stable daily. But you could try out mutliple ROMs which may or may not have been ready for to daily use.

That's the type of functionality we are shooting for. I will update totals tonight. Getting him a device is going to happen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

SantinoInc

Jun 19, 2010
NYC
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
If you already want to donate, take my link. Please add note2 to the subject

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9000 mit Tapatalk 2

That's a lot of "THANKS." You clearly have been doing some productive work.
Before I agree to contribute anything let me ask this: will we be expected to go ahead and purchase this app in the PLAY STORE after having already donated to the cause?

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
Re: I will loan the rest - Please include donation promises for AFTER dual-boot works

That's a lot of "THANKS." You clearly have been doing some productive work.
Before I agree to contribute anything let me ask this: will we be expected to go ahead and purchase this app in the PLAY STORE after having already donated to the cause?

He will be developing a dual-boot kernel/recovery. He already has it working for free on the Captivate and published the source code.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

DerTeufel1980

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011
AW: Device obtained - Thanks, and let the coding begin...

Many thanks to all who already have donated.
I hope to get the device on Tuesday. PayPal is currently waiting for the transaction to finish.

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
Updated the OP with another donation and corrected that he doesn't have it yet. I "jumped the gun" base on some PMs :eek:

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
Updated the OP with another donation and hopefully he will receive the device tomorrow.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bounty threads are not permitted on xda.
    OP Updated and the work on the project has begun
    AW: Device obtained on 3/7 - Dual-boot kernel work has begun

Your post is missing the point, that I never wanted to have this device. Even if I had enough money, I would not have bought it, because of closed exynos sources.
    Now I got the device, and i try the best that I can, to make it work. If I don't get it, I'll sell the device and pay the money back, if the users want me to sell it

The cdma devices are going to be delayed a little bit.

Gesendet von meinem SGH-I317 mit Tapatalk 2
    FYI - DerTeufel1980 had a solid kernel working fairly quickly and has since worked on the recovery mods to allow installing two ROMs, etc. He has been working through a few items such as USB only working for charging, etc. He is making progress though. :)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    DerTeufel1980 has a dual-boot kernel working for the Samsung Galaxy line (Captivate, etc). With our help, he has been able to purchase a Note II to work on and I have been updating this thread with donation promises.
    The post is below. You can look at his stats (a recognized developer with close to 13,000 thanks) and know that he can be trusted. Just to have him working on the Note II will be a great addition. I started the thread on the AT&T forum and then added it in the N7100/N7105 forum when I realized he lives in Germany. He and I have committed a fair amount of $ to make this happen so if you feel inclined to help out then it would be appreciated.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38121246&postcount=27

$200 loan for now. - RichMD
    $25 - ceo.mtcl
    PAID - $10 - rayandreas
    PAID - $50 - mocsab
    >=$10 - trism@jtype.net
    PAID - $29 - btpd21
    PAID - $25 - Jamice4u
    PAID - $10 - Shinkinrui
    PAID - $5 - muqali
    PAID - $10 - rlee008
    $5 - kingP1n
    $5 - deviusdragger
    $5 - lovekeiiy
    PAID - $15 CDKJudoka
    PAID - $5 ristiisa
    PAID - $10 Grant Barker
    ** After the kernel is working - $100 - PhxDroid86
    ** After the kernel is working - $20 - Markor13
    ** After the kernel is working - $15 - trevor7428
    ** After the kernel is working - $30 - kashortiexda

Update 5/25 - DerTeufel1980 has spent a while perfecting a universal kernel that works on AOSP and Sammy ROMs. The thread is here > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453
    He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :p