[Q] Firmware update without S-OFF by switching back to StockRom and Update?

Search This thread

sancho777

Sep 15, 2013
Ningbo
Hi everybody.

my HTC one has Viper 5.8 running with S-ON and i like it that way.
I never updated the Firmware since i moved from the 4.2.2 stock rom. (i have nandroid backup of the stock rom)

I am a bit scared doing S-OFF "just" to update firmware, hboot and radio, I know it should be easy to do, but i just don't want to.
So i thought that maybe i can flash back to the stock rom, then make the offical HTC update to 4.3 sense 6 (should also flash newest firmware right?) and then unlock the bootloader again, flash twrp and custom rom again.

Would that work? Is there something i have to pay attention to?

thx for any help!!!!

majmoz

Oct 18, 2010
Sonoita
Hi everybody.

I never updated the Firmware since i moved from the 4.2.2 stock rom. (i have nandroid backup of the stock rom)

I am a bit scared doing S-OFF "just" to update firmware, hboot and radio, I know it should be easy to do, but i just don't want to.
So i thought that maybe i can flash back to the stock rom, then make the offical HTC update to 4.3 sense 6 (should also flash newest firmware right?) and then unlock the bootloader again, flash twrp and custom rom again.

thx for any help!!!!

Since you don't want S-Off, that is your best option. I would follow closely @Mike1986 [GUIDE] Complete Flashing Guide | Rooting | Going Back To Stock it is for those who are S-On.

Reactions: sancho777

sancho777

Sep 15, 2013
Ningbo
Thanks, I will follow the guide.
But I have one more question:
Can I do the official HTC update from the htc stock rom while I still have custom recovery and bootloader unlocked?
Can't find any any info if there is any risk involved not changing back first to stock recovery and bootloader relocked before doing the update.
I guess recovery will be overwritten by the official update?!?

markb63

Aug 2, 2011
b,ham
You need stock recovery and locked bootloader to take updates

you don't need a locked bootloader to get an official ota update,however,you do need to flash a stock recovery !!.
I went through the ota update method to update my firmware as for some reason my htc one wouldn't s-off and I felt that it wasn't running as it should on custom roms with the old firmware.

I started off with a flashable zip -4.06.1540.2,developer edition then ota updates,always doing a nand backup of rom.
always pull the stock recovery image from the ota before updating...

i'm now running 5.11.1540.9 firmware and all custom roms are running good...

if you google 4.06.1540.2 dev edition flashable zip you should find it,if not,i can upload it too somewhere for you...

an official htc ota update changes your firmware and installs a stock recovery..

its a bit long winded this way,but,it was the only way for me !!

Last edited:

sancho777

Sep 15, 2013
Ningbo
I started off with a flashable zip -4.06.1540.2,developer edition then ota updates,always doing a nand backup of rom.

First thank you for sharing your experience.

When you say "zip -4.06.1540.2,developer edition" then you mean the rom, correct?
Why would you pull the stock recovery from the OTA before updating? What would be the consequence of leaving it in?

so i would download the odexed stock rom from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48111304
and afterwards flash the according recovery.img, correct?
i guess it is no problem that my phone (and their for the bootloader) was not a developer edition

Last edited:

markb63

Aug 2, 2011
b,ham

When you say "zip -4.06.1540.2,developer edition" then you mean the rom, correct?
Why would you pull the stock recovery from the OTA before updating? What would be the consequence of leaving it in?

yeah,it's a full flashable rom,that can be installed by custom recovery,when I say pull the stock recovery,i mean copy it to a folder on your pc,always best to have the matching recovery for your stock rom.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everybody.

thx for any help!!!!

Since you don't want S-Off, that is your best option. I would follow closely @Mike1986 [GUIDE] Complete Flashing Guide | Rooting | Going Back To Stock it is for those who are S-On.

you don't need a locked bootloader to get an official ota update,however,you do need to flash a stock recovery !!.
    I went through the ota update method to update my firmware as for some reason my htc one wouldn't s-off and I felt that it wasn't running as it should on custom roms with the old firmware.

i'm now running 5.11.1540.9 firmware and all custom roms are running good...

if you google 4.06.1540.2 dev edition flashable zip you should find it,if not,i can upload it too somewhere for you...

an official htc ota update changes your firmware and installs a stock recovery..

its a bit long winded this way,but,it was the only way for me !!

yeah,it's a full flashable rom,that can be installed by custom recovery,when I say pull the stock recovery,i mean copy it to a folder on your pc,always best to have the matching recovery for your stock rom.