Viber unlocks screen when message is received

Search This thread

Bresch

May 9, 2012
As the title states every time I get a message through Viber my screen turns on just as if I pressed the power button.
I've tried changing settings and obviously disabled the popup and "unlock for popups" but it still wont stay locked.

Is there something I've missed :s? Is it like that on other peoples Viber? It's damn annoying for me atleast..

Im using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, maguro. Its been like this on stock 4.0, stock 4.1, a bunch of 4.1 roms and AOKP 4.1.2. Aka its always been like this..

Thank you for your time and please direct me if this is the wrong forums.
ps; ask if you need screen shots or whatnot and I will upload them.

Edit:
If I disable notifications for the app through jellybeans new option to disable notifications from the app info screen the screen STILL lights up and unlocks when I get a message..though no notification or anything.

Last edited:

khuzema9

Nov 29, 2012
ok so you will have to gon in viber setting and uncheck new message popup. when you do this , next option unlock for popups , will be automatically disabled

This is something I've explained to viber in detail already and all they told me was to fix the settings so the unlock for pop up is unchecked. I emailed them back stating that it is unchecked and that this issue occurred ever since they did their last update and that I specifically mentioned my settings are set that way in the original email. All I got was an apology and that they would look into it. It's been months since and still no update from them

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Bresch

May 9, 2012
Do u try change on Viber's setting ?
Yes as I explain in the original post I've tried everything.

ok so you will have to gon in viber setting and uncheck new message popup. when you do this , next option unlock for popups , will be automatically disabled
Yes I've done that but it still unlocks the screen..

This is something I've explained to viber in detail already and all they told me was to fix the settings so the unlock for pop up is unchecked. I emailed them back stating that it is unchecked and that this issue occurred ever since they did their last update and that I specifically mentioned my settings are set that way in the original email. All I got was an apology and that they would look into it. It's been months since and still no update from them

I've written to them on twitter but they told me to write them an email but still haven't heard from them..

Also to note: If I disable notifications from the app through the new jellybean app info screen, the screen still unlocks and lits up but no sound or notification..my last desperate attempt would be to disable the permission to unlock screen somehow, is that possible?

khuzema9

Nov 29, 2012
Yes as I explain in the original post I've tried everything.

Yes I've done that but it still unlocks the screen..

I've written to them on twitter but they told me to write them an email but still haven't heard from them..

Also to note: If I disable notifications from the app through the new jellybean app info screen, the screen still unlocks and lits up but no sound or notification..my last desperate attempt would be to disable the permission to unlock screen somehow, is that possible?

dude just try reinstalling it then and are you using any custom rom . though it should not cause such a problem

I believe it's the latest update they did last October which causes this issue. Gives me the same result in both my gnex and nexus one. Prior to the update it wasn't acting like it. I made a follow up email and the response I got was that it has been forwarded to the 'proper department'

Reactions: vitalero

Bresch

May 9, 2012
I believe it's the latest update they did last October which causes this issue. Gives me the same result in both my gnex and nexus one. Prior to the update it wasn't acting like it. I made a follow up email and the response I got was that it has been forwarded to the 'proper department'

I had the problem before that and during some version it stopped and came back in October sometime sounds about right. It's a shame really.. But it's a free app that originated from iOS so shouldn't expect too much I guess..

Is there any way to strip the app of the permission?

Viber Team

Feb 2, 2011
Hi,

This is a member of the Viber R&D Team.

@Bresch - Thanks for reporting your issue...
We are continuously working on updates, we hope the next update will fix this issue too.
One question, can you please tell us if this issue is unique only to Viber or is it relevant to other apps too?

Thanks,
Viber

Bresch

May 9, 2012
Hi,

This is a member of the Viber R&D Team.

@Bresch - Thanks for reporting your issue...
We are continuously working on updates, we hope the next update will fix this issue too.
One question, can you please tell us if this issue is unique only to Viber or is it relevant to other apps too?

Thanks,
Viber
It is unique to viber. I've never had anything else unlock the screen...Especially not when you have the screen locked with a code or password.

Viber Team

Feb 2, 2011
Thanks for the info.

As we said, when our next major update is released, please try it out and let us know if the problem is resolved. If not, we'll be right here to assist and check the matter thoroughly.

Viber Team

Feb 2, 2011
Hi there,
As some of you have already noticed, we have released a new version of Viber - 2.3.0 !

What's new?
- Use your own ringtones from Android as your Viber ringtones!
- Include cool emoticons in your Viber text message.
- Reply to cellular (regular) SMS using Viber.
- Share Stickers with your Viber contacts.
- Add a custom location to your Viber texts.
- Many other enchancements and improvements.

So, make sure you download the latest version! :)
Please feel free to let us know your thoughts, questions and comments, we'd be happy to hear from you.
Viber Team

@thephantom -
Thanks for the report.

We kindly ask that you take a minute and report the details of the problem to our support team using this direct link: http://bit.ly/ukGVJ0
With this information, our development team will hopefully be able to find the source of the problem, and ultimately resolve it

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks for responding Viber team. I have already sent a report since Oct 4 which unfortunately doesn't have any concrete response. In fact, here's a screenshot of it tagged closed.

erynu8e2.jpg

It would be nice to look at it as I've explained before that not only did I experience it on jellybean but also on another phone running gingerbread

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Viber Team

Feb 2, 2011
@thephantom -

Thank you for the info.
There might have been some confusion there - "Closed" doesn't mean we stopped handling the problem, it merely means that it has been transferred departments within our own company.

However, I will make sure that this issue is brought up in our upcoming meetings and we will see what can be done to reproduce it here in our labs.
We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Bresch

May 9, 2012
what's the point with having the permission to unlock screen anyway? its totally unnecessary! Why would you EVER want your phone waking up?
If its in your hand, you just unlock it yourself.
If its in your pocked, you NEVER want it to unlock.

Simply just strip the app of the permission please..this is not iOS. We don't want our phones getting lit up..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Stop it. Just stop it.

We'd like to note the difference:

Even at the moment, Viber does unlock the screen upon an incoming message or call (unless the user chooses to do that - it's optional).
    What it currently does is that it lights up the screen. As we explained, we added an option to disable this in our upcoming Viber 4.0.

We ask for just a bit more patience, and we apologize for the temporary inconvenience.

Very few people here are mistaking the difference. The issue is you have promised a fix to for months now and failed to deliver. And please stop trying to make your customer interaction seem anything above minimum simply because you post comments in a thread addressing issues with your product twice a month. It's borderline insulting.
    and we got almost october and the problem is still here...

Not months ?

weird... seems more than months..
    Hi,

We are excited and proud to announce that we have just released a major new update to our mobile application: Viber 4.0!

What's new in the new version?

- New option for disabling/enabling the screen's lighting up upon incoming messages.
    - Choose from over 1,000 stickers in the brand new Sticker Market. The Sticker Market features endless possibilities for brightening up your conversations. Download themed sticker packages and enjoy the party!
    - Push-to-talk voice messaging. Send messages instantly with the new push-to-talk feature that streams your voice message as you record it.
    - (Android only) Supported tablet compatibility. Viber is now fully compatible with your tablet device(s). Enjoy quality conversations, wherever is most comfortable for you!
    - Group capacity increased to 100 members. Whether you want to share with your nearest and dearest or just send a message to a large group of people, Viber groups let you get in touch with even more people, all in one place.
    - Beautiful conversation backgrounds in the new background gallery. Choose elegant backgrounds to decorate your conversations from our new collection, designed by our very own Viber artists.
    - Forward messages to your groups. Sharing is caring. The popular feature for contacts is now also available for all groups!

As usual, we will be right here to receive your thoughts and feedback. If anyone encounters any problems or would like to share their experiences from our new update, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
    the Viber Team.
    Hey, everyone. I sort of reached the fed up point today.

I'm using Viber more and more because I feel WhatsApp bait-and-switched on me from when they said years back "completely free", yes, they said this, and now they want me to pay. I don't mind buying apps, I buy a ton of them, but holding me "messaging hostage" with a bait and switch leaves the most sour taste in my mouth of principles. But now, I deal more and more with my screen being on, when my phone's in my pocket, just sitting on the desk, wherever. This MUST stop.

More and more of my friends are on Line now. It seems to have a business model that allows for free calls, doesn't have simple text messages blocked in half the countries I visit (Viber, fix port blocking, at a minimum, move text to a different port, it isn't that hard), and doesn't turn my damn screen on when I don't want it.

So, Viber, there you have it, even with a free model, you can still lose customers to MONTHS of having not fixed a problem (yes, PROBLEM) that no other messaging app seems to have. Your users will leave, they will move, I've done it once, "we're" all doing it "again" constantly.