cast local avi and mkv files from chrome browser

Search This thread

rajanikanthr

Nov 27, 2012
I got my device today and loving it .. used mostly for youtube/play music and was able to cast chrome tab easily and also fullscreen HTML5 videos

However I got this trick from one of the site .. navigate from chrome browser to say D:\ drive. type this and enter

file:///D:/

you will see you the list of files.. by clicking on them, I was able to play avi and mkv files and cast the same in fullscreen.. only one of my mkv file failed to play (may be issue with codec)..i think the prereq is to install VLC player (who doesn't :laugh: )

can't stop loving my chromecast :) .. only issue is 720p setting in chrome browser is kinda lagging so switched to 480p , thats ok for now

NyPlaya513

Dec 27, 2010
New York
I got my device today and loving it .. used mostly for youtube/play music and was able to cast chrome tab easily and also fullscreen HTML5 videos

However I got this trick from one of the site .. navigate from chrome browser to say D:\ drive. type this and enter

file:///D:/

you will see you the list of files.. by clicking on them, I was able to play avi and mkv files and cast the same in fullscreen.. only one of my mkv file failed to play (may be issue with codec)..i think the prereq is to install VLC player (who doesn't :laugh: )

can't stop loving my chromecast :) .. only issue is 720p setting in chrome browser is kinda lagging so switched to 480p , thats ok for now

welcome to the known info party :) lol jk. im glad you realized how to do it on your own though I and many others have had issued with avi. will try your vlc workaround later

sungod88

Dec 28, 2011
Is this really a way to get AVI files working? I'll have to try it if it really works.

nook'r

Dec 8, 2010

sungod88

Dec 28, 2011
I started using wondershare ultimate video converter (you know where to download), I converted all my avi files to mp4 and now i dont have that limitation of playing any type of files.

I would do that but I have A LOT of files and it would just take way to long to convert them all also I would be converting then deleting the originals. How long does it take to convert the videos?

techguyone

Mar 5, 2011
I use Ctrl & O to get the chrome file browser up. I can't play *.avi files (it tries to copy them to d/load folder instead) is there a workaround? besides converting them all to a different format, is there a reason why Google/Chrome don't natively play *.avi? It's not like I can't play the files using VLC for example.

piatikantrop

Sep 18, 2010
If you click the down arrow in the upper right hand corner on the chrome extension, there is an option to cast the entire screen instead of just the tab.

nook'r

Dec 8, 2010
@sungod88

It takes about 3-5 min for a 700mb file, by the time you watch 1 movie you should have atleast 15 - 20 movies converted to mp4, its a lot easier than what it seems.

mkdwns

Jul 31, 2013
Any idea why I can't play avi files in browser? I installed both DivX Plus Web Player, and VLC Web Plugin. I had to disable Quicktime plugin to get MPG, and at this point I seem to have everything (mpg, mp4, mkv, ...) but avi. I see the the avi file extension is listed under the MIME type for VLC plugin, bug chrome still just downloads it. My chromecast gets here today or tomorrow, any ideas about how to get chrome to just play the file?
Also, along the same line of thinking. How can I identify which plugin is playing a given file?

dougyfresh254

Jul 31, 2013
No audio in chrome when playing local files

I know that i am not the first person to experience this but i have not been able to find a solution. When playing an MKV file i have no way in getting any audio out of it at all. Not from my laptop and not from my chrome cast. Nothing at all I have a little slash through the audio speaker that wont go away!

edd247

Aug 18, 2011
I know that i am not the first person to experience this but i have not been able to find a solution. When playing an MKV file i have no way in getting any audio out of it at all. Not from my laptop and not from my chrome cast. Nothing at all I have a little slash through the audio speaker that wont go away!

If the audio is DTS or AC3 it won't play through Chrome. I believe AAC and MP3 will play. To avoid re-encoding your videos I would recommend installing plex and using their Web view to play the videos, it will transcode the video/audio on the fly and cast that way

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

mkdwns

Jul 31, 2013

Have you checked the mkv files for Compressed Headers? I had this problem, with trying to play mkv files in my theater+. I used a tool called mkvmerge to remove the compressed headers. That fixed my issue.

tlally2001

Jul 31, 2013
Plex works for .avi and mkv fils.

Using it now.

Just set up Plex Media Server.

digital0verdose

Jun 20, 2011

Using it now.

Just set up Plex Media Server.

PLEX is not working. If you did get it to work, please go into more detail in how you pulled it off. Simply installing the software does nothing and it is so unstable that trying to do anything with the software causes it to lock up.

Animor

Jun 29, 2012
How can I change audio source and choose subtitles, when playing an MKV file in chrome browser?

I've tried to search for a plugin or extension, but couldn't find one.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    renaming *.avi to *.mpeg does the trick

Just rename file extension to .mpeg and it will play avi file in chrome.

if you have any embedded downloader like Orbit , you have to disable it in settings - advance settings - plugins - disable plugins