[Q] SIM Unlock, Sprint, and testing other carriers questions

Search This thread

reflekt

Sep 16, 2010
I have been with Sprint since 1999 and have absolutely no idea about SIM cards and other carriers so hopefully you can help clarify a few things that are running through my head with the Sprint HTC One.

1. Will unlocking the SIM for domestic US use cause any problems with using the phone on Sprint?

2. If I remove the SIM card does that basically disconnect Sprint service?

3. I am assuming that if I wanted to test out a different service say from T-Mobile ($30 Walmart plan), or any other subcarrier, after the phone is SIM Unlocked I would just get one of their SIM Cards and place it in the phone and do some activation stuff and in theory that should work. If that is the case would this cause issues at all with Sprint service?

4. Would I be able to swap out a SIM card from AT&T (or any other company) to test it out and if I decided I did not like the service I could just slip my original Sprint SIM card back in and it would be like nothing happened?

Thanks!

gimmeitorilltell

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 6, 2012
What you are asking is near impossible or much harder than you think. Unlocking the Sprint HTC one SIM lock will allow you to use another SIM card but the data is not going to work on anything but edge service. It also depends on what Rom you're running. Sense Roms will work with other carriers but cm, aosp, or anything other than sense will not scan for networks. Basically what you're asking is not worth the time and effort starting with a Sprint phone.

Sent from my HTC One Max using Tapatalk!

Reactions: reflekt

reflekt

Sep 16, 2010
What you are asking is near impossible or much harder than you think. Unlocking the Sprint HTC one SIM lock will allow you to use another SIM card but the data is not going to work on anything but edge service. It also depends on what Rom you're running. Sense Roms will work with other carriers but cm, aosp, or anything other than sense will not scan for networks. Basically what you're asking is not worth the time and effort starting with a Sprint phone.

Gotcha, thanks. If you buy a Sprint phone you are stuck with Sprint.

gimmeitorilltell

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 6, 2012
Well not exactly stuck with Sprint. You can program a Sprint phone to work with page plus and have 3G data working flawlessly. It's mostly trying to use the Sprint phone on a different gsm network.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.