Lg G Pro D838 in the UK

Search This thread

jscsltd

Aug 1, 2005
melton mowbray
Hi,
Wonder if anyone has tried the D838 model in the UK? I'm on the T-Mobile/EE network but not too bothered about 4G.

Thanks in anticipation.

John

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

stupc

Nov 8, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
Hi,
Wonder if anyone has tried the D838 model in the UK? I'm on the T-Mobile/EE network but not too bothered about 4G.

Thanks in anticipation.

John

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

Hi John,

I've had a D838 model in the UK for the past fortnight, imported from Hong Long. Haven't used the 4G because I'm on GiffGaff, which uses the O2 network, and the D838 can't get 4G on the bandwidth they have (I'm switching to Three very soon though, which should solve that "problem").

But mine works absolutely fine here, no problems whatsoever. Switched from a Note 2, which I'd had for almost two years - that was the best phone I'd ever had, but the G Pro 2 is substantially better - even the infra-red controller works perfectly (which, for some reason, I didn't expect)!

It's a fantastic phone! :D

Only downside at the moment is a lack of easy root for the phone, but no doubt that will come. :)

Any particular questions you had??
-StuPC

buenarc

Mar 24, 2014
Hi John,

I've had a D838 model in the UK for the past fortnight, imported from Hong Long. Haven't used the 4G because I'm on GiffGaff, which uses the O2 network, and the D838 can't get 4G on the bandwidth they have (I'm switching to Three very soon though, which should solve that "problem").

But mine works absolutely fine here, no problems whatsoever. Switched from a Note 2, which I'd had for almost two years - that was the best phone I'd ever had, but the G Pro 2 is substantially better - even the infra-red controller works perfectly (which, for some reason, I didn't expect)!

It's a fantastic phone! :D

Only downside at the moment is a lack of easy root for the phone, but no doubt that will come. :)

Any particular questions you had??
-StuPC

Thank you for the information. Very helpful

jscsltd

Aug 1, 2005
melton mowbray
Hi
Thanks very much for your reply. That certainly helps.
Where did you get yours from and what did you pay for it?
I'm still in two minds as to whether to wait for the D837 European model as the frequency coverage might be better suited to the UK and any travel in Europe.
Also, just wondering if LG might up the spec on the D837.

Thanks, John.

Sent from my SM-T320 using xda app-developers app

buenarc

Mar 24, 2014
Hi
I'm still in two minds as to whether to wait for the D837 European model as the frequency coverage might be better suited to the UK and any travel in Europe.

Thanks, John.

Reactions: jscsltd

stupc

Nov 8, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
Hi

Thanks, John.

Bought mine from eBay for £478 - couldn't wait for the D837, which (as far as I'm aware) still hasn't been confirmed for the UK...

candyman993

Aug 26, 2011
Google Pixel
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hi all..does this mean that the d838 will work fine in using 3g nd 4G on ee ? I'm also wanting to buy this phone...there is a eBay seller based in the UK that stock these..best price i can find is £395 with free delivery I'll will try nd share the link on here

stupc

Nov 8, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
Hi all..does this mean that the d838 will work fine in using 3g nd 4G on ee ? I'm also wanting to buy this phone...there is a eBay seller based in the UK that stock these..best price i can find is £395 with free delivery I'll will try nd share the link on here

I've used mine on Giffgaff (which piggybacks on the O2 network) but now switched to Three so I can use 4G (the D838 won't work with O2's 4G network, but does work with Three's).
Calls and data have all worked absolutely fine on both networks - not a single problem.

EE's 4G works on the 1800MHz band, which the D838 can use.

One small warning about buying at that price - be careful you don't get hit with customs charges. I bought mine at £478 because they guaranteed no customs charges (it was sent to a UK address, then sent to me from there), but I bought a previous phone nice and cheap from HK and had to pay about £60 to customs, which meant it was no cheaper! :(
-StuPC

candyman993

Aug 26, 2011
Google Pixel
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for the reply so quick....I cant share the eBay link on here for some reason..im using my mobile though..ive contacted the seller..nd he has loads in stock already in the UK. ..so there is no other extra fees..nd everything is legit too...so I think I'm going to go ahead nd get 1 in the next few weeks..glad it works with ee...hope 3 works too...hope some one can point me the right direction to share the eBay link

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Above is the item number

stupc

Nov 8, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
Thanks for the reply so quick....I cant share the eBay link on here for some reason..im using my mobile though..ive contacted the seller..nd he has loads in stock already in the UK. ..so there is no other extra fees..nd everything is legit too...so I think I'm going to go ahead nd get 1 in the next few weeks..glad it works with ee...hope 3 works too...hope some one can point me the right direction to share the eBay link

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Above is the item number

It's a fantastic phone - you won't regret it. :)

acg

Sep 8, 2007
How are you finding the D838 on EE?

Thinking hard about getting one and don't know whether to wait for the D837.

Not too worried about 4g at the moment as their H+ is fast enough for me currently

Cheers

N55

Apr 25, 2007
London
I'm also in this situation too, thinking i should wait for the D837 variant just for the added 800MHz band (as EE will soon use that too), the D838 version is already well less than £400 from UK sellers on ebay.

What is LG delaying for i wonder? If Motorola release a decent phablet before the D837 comes out, I could be swayed to that model.

I've just bought a new one on eBay from a UK seller for £320. I'm on EE but don't have 4g in my area. I'll keep you guys posted after I receive it tomorrow.
I'm rather hoping that everything works as it should as it looks an awesome device. I'm coming from the G2. ?

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

acg

Sep 8, 2007
£320! Wow good price. Cheapest I've seen is £354.

Also on a G2 so would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

I've just bought a new one on eBay from a UK seller for £320. I'm on EE but don't have 4g in my area. I'll keep you guys posted after I receive it tomorrow.
I'm rather hoping that everything works as it should as it looks an awesome device. I'm coming from the G2. ?

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Cheers

I have my concerns but I'm really hoping that it works well in this country. The device looks awesome, I was going to look at the G3 but if this one doesn't have any localisation issues then I will be a very happy man. I had never even considered LG devices until I bought the G2 on a whim in January and have to say that I'm very pleasantly surprised with the quality (and value) that they provide.
All being well I'll be able to hold my head up high again next to my wife's Note 3.

ahmadcentral

Oct 28, 2011
London
The G Pro 2 works fine in the UK.

The only thing that doesn't work is QVoice, but seeing as no one cares about it then it doesn't matter one bit.

Still a bit puzzled why LG never released the D837 at all though.

Reactions: bobsie41

Cheers

Received my Taiwanese D838 yesterday put my EE sim card and 64gb micro sd in it then booted up. No issues at all, just like I'd bought a UK device. Set my languages to English UK of course. Wow, don't know what I was worried about :D what a great device and to cap it all, I plugged it into the LG PC Suite and updated from 10e to 10f without an issue. For anybody in the same boat as me, just get one, you won't regret it.

acg

Sep 8, 2007
Great news. Tempting, tempting, tempting.

It has the option for recent apps button in the nav bar doesn't it? [

QUOTE=bobsie41;53007996]Received my Taiwanese D838 yesterday put my EE sim card and 64gb micro sd in it then booted up. No issues at all, just like I'd bought a UK device. Set my languages to English UK of course. Wow, don't know what I was worried about :D what a great device and to cap it all, I plugged it into the LG PC Suite and updated from 10e to 10f without an issue. For anybody in the same boat as me, just get one, you won't regret it.[/QUOTE]

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Cheers

Received my Taiwanese D838 yesterday put my EE sim card and 64gb micro sd in it then booted up. No issues at all, just like I'd bought a UK device. Set my languages to English UK of course. Wow, don't know what I was worried about :D what a great device and to cap it all, I plugged it into the LG PC Suite and updated from 10e to 10f without an issue. For anybody in the same boat as me, just get one, you won't regret it.
    Hi

Thanks, John.

The G Pro 2 works fine in the UK.

The only thing that doesn't work is QVoice, but seeing as no one cares about it then it doesn't matter one bit.

Still a bit puzzled why LG never released the D837 at all though.
    Do you have a link? I cannot find that specific app. Thanks.

I use this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapbase.LTEswitcher&hl=it , the best app on playstore :good:

Root with Towelroot (works great!) then download device spoofer and root explorer from the play store and set your device with device spoofer to LG G2. Install skygo. Open system/xbin in root explorer and delete all of the files that have just installed by Towelroot (those with todays date). Reboot.
    Unroot with superSU Pro ( download from the play store if you haven't got it) Then reboot. Voila.

After several days of use, I have not had found any adverse effects from having my device 'spoofed' as an LG G2. If a system update becomes available for the G Pro 2, I suspect it might be necessary to re-root, return the device to a G Pro 2 and unroot again before taking it. Of course, this method can be re-applied once the update has been installed as long as Towelroot is still compatable with the new update.