[ROM][4.0.4] Slim ICS(I897) - Clean, Simple & Fast (54MB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Fowarek

Feb 13, 2011
Well, I reflashed Slim and that didn't fix my problem. But after rebooting my phone 1 time, now I can't even boot into Slim. It gets stuck at the splash screen and doesn't go anywhere.

prbassplayer

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Mar 29, 2011
Mayagüez
Well, I reflashed Slim and that didn't fix my problem. But after rebooting my phone 1 time, now I can't even boot into Slim. It gets stuck at the splash screen and doesn't go anywhere.

Factory reset, format /system. Then flash Device Specific and THEN flash common. I'm assuming you where coming from another ICS rom

The.Se7enth

May 17, 2011
I had just flashed to this rom from MIUI, since I felt out of date and wanted something new. Looks great, decided to run the GO Launcher instead because I like having my own custom homescreen with widgets, and I tried installing Swype again since it's my preferred keyboard.

... Only, it won't open. In fact, no keyboard loads on any application. Zedge, browsers, SMS, nothing. I can't get a keyboard to display at all, which means I can't type. This is a major setback. How do I even fix this, or should I just chalk it up as a major bug and try another rom instead?

prbassplayer

Mar 29, 2011
Mayagüez
I had just flashed to this rom from MIUI, since I felt out of date and wanted something new. Looks great, decided to run the GO Launcher instead because I like having my own custom homescreen with widgets, and I tried installing Swype again since it's my preferred keyboard.

... Only, it won't open. In fact, no keyboard loads on any application. Zedge, browsers, SMS, nothing. I can't get a keyboard to display at all, which means I can't type. This is a major setback. How do I even fix this, or should I just chalk it up as a major bug and try another rom instead?

...Not really a bug since you are the first. So you didn't factory reset or format /system did you? :p

The.Se7enth

May 17, 2011
...Not really a bug since you are the first. So you didn't factory reset or format /system did you? :p

If you meant prior to flashing the rom, yes, I did. And it was working fine up until I tried activating Swype in the settings menu. Prior to that, the Android keyboard was functioning at least, but after enabling Swype, it would simply bring up the "choose keyboard" in the notification panel, which I could select and try to choose one, but it'd just close it back to the notification panel and still not actually display any keyboards, no matter what was selected.

prbassplayer

Mar 29, 2011
Mayagüez
If you meant prior to flashing the rom, yes, I did. And it was working fine up until I tried activating Swype in the settings menu. Prior to that, the Android keyboard was functioning at least, but after enabling Swype, it would simply bring up the "choose keyboard" in the notification panel, which I could select and try to choose one, but it'd just close it back to the notification panel and still not actually display any keyboards, no matter what was selected.

Did you restore the app with data? Else I figure you need to give the keyboard a min to load after you select it.

The.Se7enth

May 17, 2011
Did you restore the app with data? Else I figure you need to give the keyboard a min to load after you select it.

Titanium Backup. But I only selected to restore the app, I believe. And I wouldn't have expected it to make it so not a single keyboard works. None of them load, at all. Even if I select one and leave it alone for a while, it never shows up.

prbassplayer

Mar 29, 2011
Mayagüez
Titanium Backup. But I only selected to restore the app, I believe. And I wouldn't have expected it to make it so not a single keyboard works. None of them load, at all. Even if I select one and leave it alone for a while, it never shows up.

Sorry I can't help you. I don't use swype but I've never had this issue with SwiftKey

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

The Sonos

Jan 13, 2011

Swype-user here. I haven't come across this problem, been on slim since 3.8. Try uninstalling the restored Swype and re-downloading/installing...

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda app-developers app

diakonos

Oct 22, 2010
Texas
"Low on space" notification

So, I've been on Slim since 3.6 and I'm on 4.2 now using the stock kernel. Recently I've started seeing this "Low on space" notification. I searched this thread and found a post with a few replies that describes the same issue here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27678214&postcount=2322

I have uninstalled some old apps that I don't use very often and I've been moving some apps that support App2SD over to the card and the notification might go away for a day or two, but then shows up again. I've found in other searches to "clear cache" on some of the apps that seem to keep large amounts of data while using them like Facebook, email, browser, etc, and I've been cleaning those out as well but still see the notification. I also found in searches to delete MMS messages with photos/videos attached as those tend to fill up the too small datadata folder as well. Is there a way to see what the content of the datadata folder is (assuming that is the issue which I think it is)?

Any other ideas or fixes that might gain me a little more time before I decide to take the plunge over to the "Slim Bean" thread? ;) I used to have a backup cappy that I could "play with" and install the latest cutting-edge ROMs to try out while still keeping my trusty Slim ICS but that phone finally died (water damage, I think - not too much flashing -- hah).

Last edited:

prbassplayer

Mar 29, 2011
Mayagüez
So, I've been on Slim since 3.6 and I'm on 4.2 now using the stock kernel. Recently I've started seeing this "Low on space" notification. I searched this thread and found a post with a few replies that describes the same issue here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27678214&postcount=2322

I havev uninstalled some old apps that I don't use very often and I've been moving some apps that support App2SD over to the card and the notification might go away for a day or two, but then shows up again. I've found in other searches to "clear cache" on some of the apps that seem to keep large amounts of data while using them like Facebook, email, browser, etc, and I've been cleaning those out as well but still see the notification. I also found in searches to delete MMS messages with photos/videos attached as those tend to fill up the too small datadata folder as well. Is there a way to see what the content of the datadata folder is (assuming that is the issue which I think it is)?

Any other ideas or fixes that might gain me a little more time before I decide to take the plunge over to the "Slim Bean" thread? ;) I used to have a backup cappy that I could "play with" and install the latest cutting-edge ROMs to try out while still keeping my trusty Slim ICS but that phone finally died (water damage, I think - not too much flashing -- hah).

You can use a root explorer type of app (like solid Explorer or es file explorer) and navigate to /datadata folder and take a look at what's there.
As for Slim Bean Powered its still early development but (I think) stable for every day use for most.

Sent from my Slim Bean Powered Captivate using Tapatalk 2

OKAstro

Mar 5, 2011
Edmond, OK
You can use a root explorer type of app (like solid Explorer or es file explorer) and navigate to /datadata folder and take a look at what's there.
As for Slim Bean Powered its still early development but (I think) stable for every day use for most.

I have this happen sometimes too. What exactly am I looking for in the /datadata folder, and what should I do if I find it?

diakonos

Oct 22, 2010
Texas

I do have ES File Explorer and I looked in the /datadata folder and see numerous files. Most look current to match my current apps. I tried using ES FE to check the size of the /datadata folder bylong pressing on the /datadata folder and choosing Properties but it said the folder had 0 folders and 0 files when it obviously has content in it. Using Root Explorer app, I opened /datadata and it showed 158.91MB used and 13.09MB free. HOWEVER, I did find another "datadata" folder inside /datadata (so /datadata/datadata) which appears to have the same content. I'm not that food with "symlinks" and whatnot so that may be a true folder.

In any case, I'm going through the items one by one to find the ones that are multi-MB in size to see if they are still valid, installed apps to see if I still need them or can clean up the files/cache settings of each.

EDIT: So, I just found that my "android.providers.media" folder was 19MB so I went and cleared data on it and the low space notification went away immediately. I recently moved lots of images and video off my internal SD to the external SD and when I looked in the old media DB, the old references were still in there. Once I rebooted, the same media folder was down to under 1 MB. I'll wait until a full rescan is done but I think that's going to "clean up" a lot of the issue there.

Last edited:

basily

I do have ES File Explorer and I looked in the /datadata folder and see numerous files. Most look current to match my current apps. I tried using ES FE to check the size of the /datadata folder bylong pressing on the /datadata folder and choosing Properties but it said the folder had 0 folders and 0 files when it obviously has content in it. Using Root Explorer app, I opened /datadata and it showed 158.91MB used and 13.09MB free. HOWEVER, I did find another "datadata" folder inside /datadata (so /datadata/datadata) which appears to have the same content. I'm not that food with "symlinks" and whatnot so that may be a true folder.

In any case, I'm going through the items one by one to find the ones that are multi-MB in size to see if they are still valid, installed apps to see if I still need them or can clean up the files/cache settings of each.

EDIT: So, I just found that my "android.providers.media" folder was 19MB so I went and cleared data on it and the low space notification went away immediately. I recently moved lots of images and video off my internal SD to the external SD and when I looked in the old media DB, the old references were still in there. Once I rebooted, the same media folder was down to under 1 MB. I'll wait until a full rescan is done but I think that's going to "clean up" a lot of the issue there.

Run these commands in your terminal:
cd /datadata
du -ks * | sort -rn

It will give you a sorted list of what's in your datadata, biggest at the top. I constantly run into this problem, and the biggest culprits for me are:
Google chrome
Google currents
Browser
Gmail (if you cache your emails)

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

The.Se7enth

May 17, 2011
Swype-user here. I haven't come across this problem, been on slim since 3.8. Try uninstalling the restored Swype and re-downloading/installing...

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda app-developers app

One problem with that -- no keyboard worked. So I couldn't actually go to the website to redownload it in the first place.

Instead, I just wiped all the data and cache again, formatted /system, and reflashed the rom once more. The first things I did were install the Go Launcher again, Go SMS, then went to the Swype website, redownloaded the beta and installed it, then manually installed everything from Titanium Backup one by one, app only. I think the only things I backed up both the app and data from were the SMS Backup & Restore application and Zedge.

Nonetheless, working fine now. I'm assuming it may have been a bug with restoring a previous version of Swype through Tibu, and I've been told that you have to be cautious about using the batch restore on it anyway. I'd never had any problems previously, but I've only used a few roms.

Glad to see it's working now though. Very smooth, even faster response time than I had on Miui. And I love that there's an addon detector built into the rom. But, with that said, I do have to ask -- is there a data monitor built in, or do I still have to keep an eye on it manually? It's a convenient feature I rather liked in Miui, since I've always had issues with Onavo force closing itself and losing the data count.

simple man

Dec 25, 2010
Missouri
If you go to settings-data, there's a built in data monitor (new feature of Android 4.0), you can set a warning and a shut off, by sliding the horizontal colored bars on the graph. You can also set your billing start date.

Sent from my I897 using Tapatalk 2

The.Se7enth

May 17, 2011
If you go to settings-data, there's a built in data monitor (new feature of Android 4.0), you can set a warning and a shut off, by sliding the horizontal colored bars on the graph. You can also set your billing start date.

Sent from my I897 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed. Onavo, not only force-closed itself constantly, but I couldn't set the 29th as the billing date. It only went up to 28 (February has 28 days). I find that a little odd since some people may have started their contracts on months with 31 days, giving them the 29th, 30th, and 31st as potential rollover dates. Nonetheless, this should work perfectly. And I like that this has a graph, and shows which apps are using how much data. I feel slow for not finding it myself, but, I'm glad I got a quick response. This community really is fantastic.

Reactions: simple man

Fowarek

Feb 13, 2011
Factory reset, format /system. Then flash Device Specific and THEN flash common. I'm assuming you where coming from another ICS rom

Did a clean install. And I came from GB to ICS. When it started going bonkers I just reflashed. But I'm still having issues after the clean install, namely that my text message memory is full, which makes no sense because I literally have about 5 conversations with about 10 texts each.

aluvn

Mar 2, 2012
Hi there, I just switched from SGSICS to Slim ICS and I have to say this ROM is awesome. Thanks to all the developers out there for your brilliant work. But there's a small bug (?) that's bugging me, which is the weird space between notifications. Look at the screenshot and you'll know what I mean.

zwM88.png

The LCD Density in ASS is 182.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    slimnewlogo.png
    IMPORTANT: FEATURE REQUESTS WILL BE IGNORED, MY BETA TESTERS WILL DO THAT DIRECTLY TO ME.

Key features:
    • Fully built from AOSP sources with some cherry picks from CM and AOKP team,
    • Easy to customize features (thanks to AOKP team) via ASS (Advanced Slim Settings)
    • ROM - 54MB
    • Slim Common - ~20MB
    • 5 languages ( en, fr, de, it and es. No new languages will be added)
    • Lightning Launcher
    • Lockscreen Options ( Calendar, Weather etc, check via ASS)
    • Screenshot via Customizable Nav Bar
    What Works:

• Everything for daily use
    Supported Devices here, no extra devices for now ( and NO PORTS of Slim ICS):

Removed apps here, download it via my OTA app

Credits here

Source:

https://github.com/krarvind/

Rest:
    http://source.android.com

Latest version, Download Links and Change Logs : Go Here

Discuss the rom here in xda and Hit Thanks if you try the rom and like it .
    4.1 Released:
    Note:
    Overall change in how i am structuring Slim. No more Base + essentials + gapps. Device ROM + SLim Common ( which inclues slim gapps among other common non compiled stuff). Just flash Device ROM version THEN Slim Common ( includes Slim Gapps). you should be set.
    3.9 Released. I will say this, read the changelog and FAQ, before posting questions. If you find ppl posting without reading, just direct them to them the changelog page, don't give them the answer, its a few lines not that hard.

You need to d/l and flash Base, Device essentials and Slim Gapps. From next time on you just need to d/l base and device essentials as long as you don't lose Slim Gapps or i don't change it. Happy Friday Everyone!

NOTE: Read the changelog below carefully and the FAQ before posting questions .

All Devices:

• Apollo ( CM9) music compiled from sources - thanks cm team
    • Updated germant translations for DeskClock - thanks Basian Mile
    • Reduce processing in WebCore thread while scrolling and zooming based on this
    • External Webkit changes based on this, this and this.
    • Hide storage option in camera for devices that don't have external storage based on this
    • Don't try to create an ad-hoc network when no wireless network is available based on this
    • SlimPapers.apk with a couple of wallpapers, nothing fancy. Will put it in OTA app for those who want to use it. - thanks jeffyca at rootz for slimlogo wallpaper
      trans.gif
    • CM9 Quiet Hours
    • New boot animation - thanks jeffyca at rootz
    • Basic gapps included in base is pulled and made a separate flashable zip, reason is two fold,
      • make google happy as they prefer this route and
      • they don't change often, so why bloat the base unnecessarily.
    • Whatever was in UpdateMe ( GenieWidget etc etc), Apps, Stays there,
    • Make sure to flash slim_gapps along with base and essentials to get working multi dpi playstore, gmail, talk, video chat, email and exchange. If you flash another gapps, you are on your own, don't complain apps are not compatible if you are not on slim gapps. This is the way moving forward, you can cry about if you want
      trans.gif
    • Base is now 44 MB
      trans.gif
    Galaxy Nexus ( Maguro, Toro & Toroplus)

• Synced upto lean 3.8
    Galaxy S2

• Synced upto latest Fluxi's changes.
    Upgrade Method: Back to the usual
    Download Link:
    Direct : Slim ICS 3.9

or via OTA app;
    one more......