Android 4.4.2 aka KitKat Update - Discussion Thread

Search This thread

Warell

Jan 4, 2011
U need super su 1.93

Sent from my HTC Butterfly s using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I used super su 1.91. But root is working fine. The problem is, every time I edit a file inside the system folder, it get replaced by a not modified version at boot.

So, I can´t get the write to external sd to work, because the permissions file always revert back to the original one.

Warell

Jan 4, 2011
Not mines

I just read a reply from koniiiik, this one in here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45964908&postcount=28

As he says: "The problem in this case is that many HTC devices, including the Butterfly s, implement some kind of write protection on the /system partition. Its effects are that even when you remount /system as read-write and make changes there, they don't actually hit the partition and appear to be stored in RAM.

In order to change the contents of the /system partition persistently, you can't make changes from within a full Android environment, you have to make them in your recovery."

So, this is my problem. In my uderstanding, the only way I can make my permissions file and hosts file (for adaway) to work, is by flashing in recovery.

Ok, I did a flasheable zip to fix the permissions to write to SD and it worked perfect. How can I host it if another member need it?

Last edited:
Reactions: tllim73

seyidaga

Dec 5, 2012
Baku, Azerbaijan
So, you guys remember we had this problem with the battery when it would drain 10-15% after a 100% charge and you needed to keep itmore on 100% for a real full charge? Not anymore :D

elf_made

Jan 17, 2014
Bucharest
Hello all,

I know that this might be a little premature(not many rom are ported to kitkat) but does anyone know which custom ROMs usually support swipe2wake functionality? I find this functionality very useful and cool!

Thanks!

koniiiik

Jun 12, 2008
Göteborg
koniiiik.org
Well..I'm pretty sure is has to be something otherwise where this video came from...and it seems to work pretty well!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxKFwc2D-K4

Yeah, the problem is, while that particular kernel does support S2W, it doesn't contain the correct audio driver and in-call sound is broken, I think. You can find the original post containing a link to that video somewhere in this forum for more details.

elf_made

Jan 17, 2014
Bucharest
Yeah, the problem is, while that particular kernel does support S2W, it doesn't contain the correct audio driver and in-call sound is broken, I think. You can find the original post containing a link to that video somewhere in this forum for more details.

Ok thanks I'll take a look! I saw in your signature that you're also using stock ROM for now...same here I'm waiting for a stable ROM with S2W :cyclops:

elf_made

Jan 17, 2014
Bucharest

We should raise some donations for such a functionality! I know that is not much but I'm ready to donate $100 for owner of the first rom that will have this implemented

Zarboz

Known Scammer
Mar 5, 2009
Denver
We should raise some donations for such a functionality! I know that is not much but I'm ready to donate $100 for owner of the first rom that will have this implemented
I was the one who posted the video

I could post a kernel with that feature but as htc has left out the appropriate sound driver code for our device on current source in call audio won't work on earpiece speaker
I have been working with htcdev to get our source fixed and am awaiting their push of fixed source after many months if email correspondence

If you can live with using only speaker phone for calls or a wired headphone set I will post for you a kit Kat kernel with s2w

If you can wait fir htcdev to push the updated source in the coming week or two I can fix it up so it works 100%

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

elf_made

Jan 17, 2014
Bucharest
I was the one who posted the video

I could post a kernel with that feature but as htc has left out the appropriate sound driver code for our device on current source in call audio won't work on earpiece speaker
I have been working with htcdev to get our source fixed and am awaiting their push of fixed source after many months if email correspondence

If you can live with using only speaker phone for calls or a wired headphone set I will post for you a kit Kat kernel with s2w

If you can wait fir htcdev to push the updated source in the coming week or two I can fix it up so it works 100%

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Hello! Sure I can wait...let me know when it's done and the small prize is yours

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can you help? I will be really grateful.

And thanks for uploading the recovery on the other thread! :)

You have to be rooted in order to make changes and fix ext sd problem;)

uploadfromtaptalk1395535983632.jpg

Big things popping

Sent from my HTC Butterfly S using Tapatalk
    Thanks for that seyidaga.

What else has changed with 4.4.2? Anything else good?

Changes in the Location Settings section of the Settings App
    Battery, Beats, Headphones logos have changed
    Home Screen option in the Personalize section of the Settings (Guess it's for launchers. I don't use one)
    Printing section in Settings
    Ability to choose Default SMS Apps in the Settings App
    Ability to swipe down the notification bar in fullscreen apps (Games and etc.)

No ART though :/
    Got the update. So far, disliking it a lot.

Apps can not write to external sd anymore. The stupid modification Google has done to kitkat is taking place, as covered by android police here:
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...at-and-even-samsung-may-be-implementing-them/

I could not achieve root acess again yet.

Camera seens to be a little less purple in low light conditions, but the pictures are being very washed away in terms of color fidelity, like if the contrast is too low.

The chinese apps can be removed now, but I´m afraid of removing them and not being able to update the firmware in the future as it already happened once.

All of that can be fixed

That's long

Sent from my HTC Butterfly s using xda app-developers app