Styli

Search This thread

lardo5150

Nov 13, 2008
St. Charles, MO
As usual, forgive my dumbness, but I know the tab ha gorilla glass, but I am just making sure..........

How are your "pens" with writing on the tablet and scratches. I am assuming they make these so that scratches are impossible?

I have never used one, thats the reason for this question but I will be using my tab at work for notes and such.

Chief Geek

Aug 13, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
As usual, forgive my dumbness, but I know the tab ha gorilla glass, but I am just making sure..........

How are your "pens" with writing on the tablet and scratches. I am assuming they make these so that scratches are impossible?

I have never used one, thats the reason for this question but I will be using my tab at work for notes and such.

They are soft smoothed tipped to prevent this. Even the plastic tipped ones pose little threat if used properly. I have the galaxy note and it cones with its spen which is a fancy name for stylus.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008

I ran over the screen of my LG O2x with a knife with a lot of force, and it only left one scratch. ;) Really, a stylus is not going to damage your screen, as long as you clean it every once in a while.

Jonphinguyen7

Oct 18, 2011
I have my eye on an Adonit Touch, which uses bluetooth for better accuracy and precision. Also, there's an SDK devs can implement in their apps for things like pressure sensitivity and whatnot.

Adonit Jot Touch

FrontRowJoe

Jul 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Just received the New Trent two-pack Micro-Knit retractable stylus, and it is already, by far, the best stylus I've ever used. The tip uses a metallic fabric instead of rubber, but it's not scratchy at all. Feels like t-shirt cotton, actually. And man, it is smooth and CONDUCTIVE! I've yet to have a single mis-tap with this thing. Add in the retractable tip (perfect for tossing in a case or sleeve) and the fact that you get two of 'em (even if one is in the dreaded Apple white), and it's a no-brainer. I'm ordering an extra set, just in case. It's not the smallest tip in the world and may not be great for precision detail on a smaller phone screen, but for a table, it's absolutely perfect.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FXMOV8/
New Trent 2PCS Micro-Knit Retractable Stylus (TwinPack, Black + White)
$10.95

DocRawk

May 14, 2008
I have my eye on an Adonit Touch, which uses bluetooth for better accuracy and precision. Also, there's an SDK devs can implement in their apps for things like pressure sensitivity and whatnot.

Adonit Jot Touch

It looks awesome, but there are currently no apps that support the pressure feature. They haven't even released an android sdk...

Jonphinguyen7

Oct 18, 2011
It looks awesome, but there are currently no apps that support the pressure feature. They haven't even released an android sdk...

According to a Adonit Rep, it;s the Android Devs who are not implementing the SDK. Has anyone tried the standard Jot Pro? I know that it sucked bad on the Prime

pseudopsyche

Aug 4, 2012
I picked up a Bamboo stylus, and I've been playing around with taking notes in the LectureNotes app. I'm not sure if I'm just not used to writing with a capacitive stylus, but it seems like this isn't all that accurate for note taking. I plan to use this in classes to take notes in lectures when school starts back up in September, but at the moment it seems like this stylus just isn't doing it for me.

Has anyone tried the Adonit Jot Pro with the Infinity with good results? I think it looks like the most accurate bet for writing notes with.

Also, any reports from those that ordered the BoxWave EverTouch? Is it fairly accurate while writing?

Thanks.

wolfman87

Aug 18, 2009
San Francisco
I also read something about a pen that had a side 'action' button on it, that when you pressed it (or held it) it would perform an alternate task (instead of making a line it might erase, bring up a menu, hold to drag, etc.) Does anyone know how that works? BT I would assume but it would be great to be able to do that on our tablets

Also, is the digitizer sensitivity matched in any way to resolution? Since we have a higher resolution than most tablets would the sensitivity be better and more fine grain.

AspenMan

Jun 25, 2007
Denver
Best deal on styli around. 14 styli (9 full size, 5 mini) for $13.95 (and free shipping with Amazon prime). 5 stars on Amazon with 274 reviews.

I've used Kingston, the Amazon basic and a few others ($10-$20 a piece type stylus) and for the price these simply can not be beat. Works perfectly in SuperNote (the only app I use for handwriting) and are precise enough to click small links on websites and works great for navigation throughout apps and websites. They're very sensitive, just need to be touching the screen to work, no pressure needed. The tips are a bit wide so if you're looking to do exact drawings or CAD type stuff they may not work for you but for all-around use, they're awesome.

I HIGHLY recommend them!!!!

Last edited:

pseudopsyche

Aug 4, 2012
I also read something about a pen that had a side 'action' button on it, that when you pressed it (or held it) it would perform an alternate task (instead of making a line it might erase, bring up a menu, hold to drag, etc.) Does anyone know how that works? BT I would assume but it would be great to be able to do that on our tablets

Also, is the digitizer sensitivity matched in any way to resolution? Since we have a higher resolution than most tablets would the sensitivity be better and more fine grain.

Yes, the digitizer is supposed to be very good on the Infinity. Take a look at this comparison between the Prime, TF300, and Infinity: (apparently I can't post links yet, so just Google "android police transformer buyers guide" and look under the "Benchmarks" section for the comparison)

As far as the stylus you're describing, it sounds like the Adonit Jot Touch. Read the last few posts on the previous page of this thread (starting with post #27), as they discuss it a bit and provide a link to its product page.

How is writing with resting your palm on the tablet?
Is it recognized?
Or is writing not working then?

This is handled on a per application basis. The application I've been using, LectureNotes, has several different settings for this depending on if your stylus and/or device is capable of tracking the position of the stylus. For the Infinity, however, I've been using heuristic palm detection, which kind of works. I'm still trying to tweak it to see if I can get it any better, but at the moment it seems to work at an acceptable level.

Last edited:

FrontRowJoe

Jul 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Anyone know any stylus that is more fine point??? trying to take note with it...

As far as I know, the Hand stylus (http://handstylus.com/) has the most narrow tip at 4mm. However, there have been reports that it requires a bit of downward pressure to function consistently. The aforementioned Adonit Jot is another narrow option, though I wasn't all that impressed with the performance even before the little plastic disc broke off mine.

Skullmonkey

Jul 31, 2010
As far as I know, the Hand stylus (http://handstylus.com/) has the most narrow tip at 4mm. However, there have been reports that it requires a bit of downward pressure to function consistently. The aforementioned Adonit Jot is another narrow option, though I wasn't all that impressed with the performance even before the little plastic disc broke off mine.

I don't know how there could be reports already since they haven't been released to the kickstarter users.

Sent from my Transformer Infinity!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got the BoxWave Evertouch:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QY9OO8/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01

This is my first capacitive stylus. I was attracted by the sturdier tip, and so far it has not disappointed. I don't think longevity will be an issue.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T
    You may want to check out the styli on this site: http://beststylus.com/ - their styli are some of the best I've used (granted I don't use it much, but it does work well). Their support is top-notch as well. My father was having some issues with neck pain at one point and this place went out of their way to send him (for free!) a telescoping stylus that made it much easier for him to use without pain.

Check them out and let me know if anyone else has any opinions on this place!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2