Easy guide to root your tablet and keep your warranty

Search This thread

Stirius

Aug 23, 2013
I must write this guide because I spent yesterday 6 hours of doing all of following steps (together with 2 useless firmware flashes and other worthless stuff). Why? Because it was really complicated for someone who is not really familiar with all the names, definitions etc. I just wanted to have my tablet rooted, keep my warranty and use my external SD card without limitations. It is not easy but it is DIFFICULT to find these few steps on XDA forum in tens of topics with many information posts and garbage around.

Important thing is that you can do these steps WITHOUT loosing any data! (Which I lost yesterday because of my lacking information.)

Here we go (written without tablet around, so some things can be generalised):

I did it on Z2 Tablet 511, firmware .402 (no need to downgrade as I did at the beginning...)

1. Open up your device’s “Settings”. Now scroll to the bottom and tap “About phone” or “About tablet”. At the “About” screen, scroll to the bottom and tap on “Build number” seven times. Make sure you tap seven times. You will then see a notice that you are now a developer.
2. Now you should have Developer options in the System settings. Go there, enable USB debugging.
3. Again in Settings go to Security options and allow installations from Uknown source.
4. Download Easy Root v5 here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53448680 (guide is there also)
5. Download Backup TA v9.11 here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292598 (optional for backing up your system info if you will later unlock your phone, install new ROMs etc. But if you need just root, it is not necessary. But it is recommended so you can be sure that you can get your tablet to the default status when it was bought and you can make a complaint in case something else will break down.)
6. Connect your tablet to your pc normally. Just have your tablet switched on and use USB cabel. Let it install all drivers.
7. Run Easy Root v5 (install.bat) and your tablet will be rooted in few seconds
8. For TA backup run Backup-TA.bat. Follow instructions and save your TA files. It will be created in the folder from which you run the applications. It is compressed in one file. Save it somewhere and keep it!
9. Reboot
10. If you want to use external card without limitations, install SD fix https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix

For common users who want to install apps which need root and do not want to install custom ROMs or do another tricky stuff this process is enough. Enjoy your tablet now .

There can be maybe some problems with drivers. Then you can try install PC Companion which should install everything for you. http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/pc-companion/

Another thing from @stress40 who had also problems rooting the tablet:

1) I used easy root tool (on windows with Android SDK installed, ADB drivers etc)
2) extract easyroot v5 onto desktop (keeping extracted files together in a folder)
3) download towelroot.apk and put in Files folder of towelroot
4) reboot phone then plug in phone and double kick install.bat (so you get the ADB message on phone) and most importantly DON'T LET YOUR*PHONE*SCREEN*TURN*OFF (mine did so was stuck at waiting for phone but as soon as I turned it on it was fine) I was rooted in a few minutes after double clicking install.bat.

Last edited:

GandalfTehGray

Jan 13, 2011
Good job, beats people having 3 tabs open trying to dissect which steps they should be following and then trying to piece together the timeline of events with other people screaming "read and search"

Sorry you lost data though, have you tried out Sony's backup app that for me was embedded in "tools" folder in app drawer? I hadn't noticed it for a while.

Stirius

Aug 23, 2013
Good job, beats people having 3 tabs open trying to dissect which steps they should be following and then trying to piece together the timeline of events with other people screaming "read and search"

Sorry you lost data though, have you tried out Sony's backup app that for me was embedded in "tools" folder in app drawer? I hadn't noticed it for a while.

Not a big issue for me at this time. I just had to reinstall everything but data etc. are on cloud plus I have titanium backup just it was not used :). For me tablet must be ready for summer when I will be off home. Now it's ok.

And yeah, there are like 8 topics with 49 pages in 5 subforums and then try and go through it. I don't know why there was no simple guide like this before. Only updated long ago created topics in first post plus other mess around in tens of threads.

Feb 24, 2013
Nijmegen
Good guide for those who want to root it; and exactly the steps I followed, so I can confirm (again) that this method works like a charm.:good:

tomqman

May 5, 2010
Ryde
Thanks worked great for me installed supersu from the play store and all working great :) nice to see a clear tutorial . Would be good if development jumped up on this fantastic device

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

deb10042

Nov 22, 2009
Thanks a lot for this compilation of all the relevant steps!
It makes things really easy as there is no more need for searching hundreds of postings :eek:

Would it be possible, to also have an "easy guide" for noobs, explaining how to go back to a stock unrooted tablet (in case you should need to send it in for warranty reasons)?

Thanks again!:D

guhvanoh

It makes things really easy as there is no more need for searching hundreds of postings :eek:

Would it be possible, to also have an "easy guide" for noobs, explaining how to go back to a stock unrooted tablet (in case you should need to send it in for warranty reasons)?

There's really no need for that. As you will be sending your device back just use PC Companion to install the latest Sony rom. This will automagically do what you want.

Sent from my SGP311 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: deb10042

deb10042

Nov 22, 2009
There's really no need for that. As you will be sending your device back just use PC Companion to install the latest Sony rom. This will automagically do what you want.

Well, seems that was the "easy guide" :fingers-crossed: Thanks!

In several other threads, I read about the need of the so called dualrecovery, which is not part of the above guide.
Is it optional or should I go for it?

btw.: my SGP512 is now rooted and the guide helped me very much! :good:

guhvanoh

Well, seems that was the "easy guide" :fingers-crossed: Thanks!

In several other threads, I read about the need of the so called dualrecovery, which is not part of the above guide.
Is it optional or should I go for it?

btw.: my SGP512 is now rooted and the guide helped me very much! :good:

A recovery makes it easy to 'flash' kernels, roms etc that come in zip files as well as make a nandroid backup. If you see yourself doing this, then yes install a recovery system. As a whole, it doesn't hurt to have one installed.

Reactions: deb10042

deb10042

Nov 22, 2009
A recovery makes it easy to 'flash' kernels, roms etc that come in zip files as well as make a nandroid backup. If you see yourself doing this, then yes install a recovery system. As a whole, it doesn't hurt to have one installed.

I wanted to have "root" but do not intend to flash any other ROM, therefore, I will leave this part away from my tablet ;)
Thanks for helping!

cewan

Sep 21, 2010
permission denied

Hey, thanks for a great guide!
All steps went smoothly and for the most part my Tablet Z2 now appears to be rooted.
For instance MyBackup Pro, Tasker, Secure Settings, App Quarantine all work.
However, there are some apps that have issues and they complain about permission denied in /system folder.
Apps are
  • BusyBox (unable to install binaries),
  • SuperSU (I was able to install it from Play Store, but as soon as I start it it tries to update to latest version, which fails)
  • AdAway (fails to apply hosts file)

Any ideas?

cewan

Sep 21, 2010
How do I do that?

I tried this app: Mount /system (rw / ro)
But it did not help :(

Is the only solution to install a custom recovery? Would be nice to avoid a full wipe if possible.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cewan

Sep 21, 2010
Ok, so you are saying that the method mentioned in the first post in this thread is not the proper way to do it?
The thread you are referring to, the method mentioned there will result in a full wipe, if I understand it correctly?

guhvanoh

Ok, so you are saying that the method mentioned in the first post in this thread is not the proper way to do it?
The thread you are referring to, the method mentioned there will result in a full wipe, if I understand it correctly?

When I updated my Z2 fone to the 314 rom, I needed to reroot. My /system couldn't be mounted rw. I tried multiple ways to remount it rw and none worked. Installing XZDualRecovery solved my problem. No wipe was necessary, nor was one performed. No data was lost either.

HTH

Sent from my SGP311 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: cewan

cewan

Sep 21, 2010
When I updated my Z2 fone to the 314 rom, I needed to reroot. My /system couldn't be mounted rw. I tried multiple ways to remount it rw and none worked. Installing XZDualRecovery solved my problem. No wipe was necessary, nor was one performed. No data was lost either.

That is good news! I will try it :)

I suggest that the author of this thread should add to the description that full rooting will not be possible for the 314 firmware version.

woggly4

Dec 25, 2008
Thanks for your guide. So I don't need to unlock the bootloader? Are there any advantages of having an unlocked bootloader, if I gain root using your guide?

guhvanoh

Thanks for your guide. So I don't need to unlock the bootloader? Are there any advantages of having an unlocked bootloader, if I gain root using your guide?

Unlocking your boot loader is only needed off you're going to flash non-stock roms like CM or kernels that require it. If you only need root, there's no need to unlock your bootloader.

meteor999

Sep 7, 2011
That is good news! I will try it :)

I suggest that the author of this thread should add to the description that full rooting will not be possible for the 314 firmware version.

No need. The solution to your problem is to install superuser first and then run the latest version of the easyroot tool. It will root your tablet fully, no need for dual recovery unless that's something you want

Last edited:
Reactions: cewan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I must write this guide because I spent yesterday 6 hours of doing all of following steps (together with 2 useless firmware flashes and other worthless stuff). Why? Because it was really complicated for someone who is not really familiar with all the names, definitions etc. I just wanted to have my tablet rooted, keep my warranty and use my external SD card without limitations. It is not easy but it is DIFFICULT to find these few steps on XDA forum in tens of topics with many information posts and garbage around.

Important thing is that you can do these steps WITHOUT loosing any data! (Which I lost yesterday because of my lacking information.)

Here we go (written without tablet around, so some things can be generalised):

I did it on Z2 Tablet 511, firmware .402 (no need to downgrade as I did at the beginning...)

1. Open up your device’s “Settings”. Now scroll to the bottom and tap “About phone” or “About tablet”. At the “About” screen, scroll to the bottom and tap on “Build number” seven times. Make sure you tap seven times. You will then see a notice that you are now a developer.
    2. Now you should have Developer options in the System settings. Go there, enable USB debugging.
    3. Again in Settings go to Security options and allow installations from Uknown source.
    4. Download Easy Root v5 here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53448680 (guide is there also)
    5. Download Backup TA v9.11 here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292598 (optional for backing up your system info if you will later unlock your phone, install new ROMs etc. But if you need just root, it is not necessary. But it is recommended so you can be sure that you can get your tablet to the default status when it was bought and you can make a complaint in case something else will break down.)
    6. Connect your tablet to your pc normally. Just have your tablet switched on and use USB cabel. Let it install all drivers.
    7. Run Easy Root v5 (install.bat) and your tablet will be rooted in few seconds
    8. For TA backup run Backup-TA.bat. Follow instructions and save your TA files. It will be created in the folder from which you run the applications. It is compressed in one file. Save it somewhere and keep it!
    9. Reboot
    10. If you want to use external card without limitations, install SD fix https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix

For common users who want to install apps which need root and do not want to install custom ROMs or do another tricky stuff this process is enough. Enjoy your tablet now .

There can be maybe some problems with drivers. Then you can try install PC Companion which should install everything for you. http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/pc-companion/

Another thing from @stress40 who had also problems rooting the tablet:

1) I used easy root tool (on windows with Android SDK installed, ADB drivers etc)
    2) extract easyroot v5 onto desktop (keeping extracted files together in a folder)
    3) download towelroot.apk and put in Files folder of towelroot
    4) reboot phone then plug in phone and double kick install.bat (so you get the ADB message on phone) and most importantly DON'T LET YOUR*PHONE*SCREEN*TURN*OFF (mine did so was stuck at waiting for phone but as soon as I turned it on it was fine) I was rooted in a few minutes after double clicking install.bat.
    I hate it when the whole OP is quoted.

Unlocking your boot loader is only needed off you're going to flash non-stock roms like CM or kernels that require it. If you only need root, there's no need to unlock your bootloader.

Can someone please update this for Marshmallow?