Review of MOCREO Mosound Bar water-resistant Bluetooth speaker w/lots of pics!!!

Search This thread

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
This is a review of MOCREO Mosound Bar wireless Bluetooth water-resistant speaker. http://mocreo.com/portable-bluetoot...e-built-in-battery-tf-card-supported-197.html available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/MOCREO-Water-resistant-Bluetooth-Rechargable-Supported/dp/B00JF0D8SC/

Recently I reviewed a number of headphones which I referred to as "giant killers", a term I use for budget headphones that surpass in quality and sound other brand names that cost 2x-3x as much. Today, I would like to present to you a budget wireless speaker that can go head-to-head with a number of popular brand names that cost at least 5x as much. I have reviewed and shared with you about a lot of wireless speakers, but this one quickly got elevated to the top of my list because it has every single feature you can possible want, and it actually sounds as good as another very popular brand name model which you are going to see a lot of exterior resemblance to, all that for under $40. Here is what I found.

Arrived in an environmentally friendly packaging (no unnecessary plastic), it had minimalistic graphics and a very accurate description of the product features. With outside sleeve removed, I was actually pleased to see a very sturdy carton box that can be re-used for storage. Inside, you will find Mosound Bar speaker, usb to micro-usb charging cable, and a basic 3.5mm male to male audio cable. I do have to admit, a somewhat skewed-square cylindrical shape and big +/- rubbery buttons on the top reminded me of UE Boom, $200 wireless speaker which I have reviewed in the past and found to be very impressive in sound performance, though lacking in features and controls. With that similarity, in my mind the whole review was based on comparing Mosound Bar to Boom where I found Mocreo completely destroying Logitech/Ultimate Ears speaker in every aspect.

Starting with a design, it's waterproof and rated to be IPX54. It doesn't mean you should submerge it under the water, but the design has a serious water splash protection and a very durable build. Either if you want to place it by pool, or take it to the beach, or keep it outside of a steamy shower, or keep it in the kitchen next to the sink - it should be safe from damage. And speaking of kitchen sink, it has every feature but the "kitchen sink" integrated in its design. I already mentioned water splash resistant exterior with a mesh metal grill front cover for the dual stereo speakers (3.5W each) and the rear bass port cover, as well as soft touch rubber sides, silicone rubber non-slip stand bottom and the same material top with integrated +/- buttons and pinhole microphone. Also, it has 1400 mAh rechargeable battery supporting up to 6 hours of continuous playback.

This beautiful design is complemented by a list of many useful controls and features. Starting from the top, you have "+" and "-" multifunction buttons that control skip next/prev with a short press and volume up/down with a long press. Such playback control is very rare with other speakers. On the left side, you have Play/Pause/Call button to control playback of the song and also to pickup a call since this speaker also pairs up as a speakerphone. A power button is next to Play button and beside power on/off it's also used to start Bluetooth pair up. Below that, there is a rubber cover for micro usb charging port, audio input port (to connect to other audio sources without bluetooth connection), and microSD slot. YES, you can use this speaker as a standalone boombox by inserting microSD card (up to 16GB in capacity) with your own tunes which you can control with Mosound Bar playback controls.

But if you prefer to use it as a wireless speaker, what it was originally intended by design, the pair up is very easy and fast. Assisted with a voice guidance, I was paired up within a minute and connected both to phone and media audio. Wireless range was a typical 30ft before transmission starts to get choppy. The switching between music play and call pick up was seamless, and sound quality of the call was pretty good! But what impressed me the most was the actual sound quality of the speaker. It was loud, clear, and not distorted at high volumes. The sound was warm, with a full body (not your typical thin wireless speaker sound), and had a decent amount of bass punch. Since I started my review with a mentioning of UE Boom, the only advantage Boom has is a little deeper bass, but in everything else Mosound Bar matched or exceeded its sound characteristics. Of course, when it comes to a list of features, it's not even a fair match since UE Boom only offers volume up/down and that's it.

Overall, it's always exciting to see how different manufacturers trying to push the envelope with new features, new design elements, new functionality additions, and sound quality improvements. I think Mocreo just pushed the envelope further to set a new high bar in what you can achieve with a product for under $40 which destroys a number of $100-$300 wireless speakers in comparison. I'm not suggesting it will be better in sound quality in comparison to Bose SoundLink series, but Bose can't match all the features including compact size and water-splash design, not to mention Mosound Bar cost a fraction of the price. In my opinion, this speaker has among the best price/performance ratio, even surpassing my previous favorite Bolse 12W portable wireless speaker. Definitely gets my high recommendation!

Here are the pictures.

mocreo_mosound_bar-01_zps45fbe0e3.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-02_zps0d4c5b15.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-03_zps99a0243b.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-04_zpsed42752f.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-05_zpse8f94eca.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-06_zps2b99c129.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-07_zps2e6a9c94.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-08_zpsf600af4d.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-09_zpsb2fd39d1.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-10_zpsc1db08de.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-11_zpscb343b4e.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-12_zps6da6198a.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-13_zps5a086ed6.jpg

vectron

Apr 23, 2011

I will double check the spec in the included manual, but I'm pretty sure I got it from there.

Not sure why everybody is surprised that 1400 mAh battery can support 6hr of playback? I have a number of wireless headphones with small 200mAh-400mAh batteries that support 8-10hrs of playback because of a small driver size. You guys are forgetting we are not talking about a smartphone where 4G radio and 5" display eats battery like crazy and still your 2800 mAh battery last a few days. This is just a small speaker with an energy efficient bluetooth radio (hardly any power for that) and most of the battery power goes into driving speakers. "14000 mAh" battery would have added extra weight and I'm pretty sure with a high capacity battery they would have enabled external charging of other devices (like Braven wireless speakers do).

higherway

Sep 23, 2014
LA
I will double check the spec in the included manual, but I'm pretty sure I got it from there.

Not sure why everybody is surprised that 1400 mAh battery can support 6hr of playback? I have a number of wireless headphones with small 200mAh-400mAh batteries that support 8-10hrs of playback because of a small driver size. You guys are forgetting we are not talking about a smartphone where 4G radio and 5" display eats battery like crazy and still your 2800 mAh battery last a few days. This is just a small speaker with an energy efficient bluetooth radio (hardly any power for that) and most of the battery power goes into driving speakers. "14000 mAh" battery would have added extra weight and I'm pretty sure with a high capacity battery they would have enabled external charging of other devices (like Braven wireless speakers do).

so its battery can be used a long time? It means the product's quality really good? If so ,i think i need to buy one. And another question, you said the speaker is water-resistant, i want to know what kind of water will damage it?

Reactions: Suarez34

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
so its battery can be used a long time? It means the product's quality really good? If so ,i think i need to buy one. And another question, you said the speaker is water-resistant, i want to know what kind of water will damage it?

Just like they state, about 6hrs of use. If you play at moderate level, you can stretch it for another half an hour. It's IPX4 waterproof rated. In my opinion, I would NOT dump it and leave it in the water. It's definitely water splash proof to keep by the sink or the pool, etc. If it gets splashed/covered by water - it will survive. But submerging it under the water for an extended time period - no way. For submerging under the water you need at least IPX7 rating.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
are there any body can tell me whether it is worth to buy?

Why would I waste my time reviewing it if I don't think it's good enough? ;) There are other speakers that sound as good or better, but they cost A LOT more money. For the price, you can't beat this Mosound Bar; it has one of the best price/performance ratios.

l3v1hd

Nov 1, 2014
Sound quality wise, which one would you recommend? This one or the bolse 12w? Does it worth the price difference just because of the sound quality? Wich one has deeper bass? Thank you in advance

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Sound quality wise, which one would you recommend? This one or the bolse 12w? Does it worth the price difference just because of the sound quality? Wich one has deeper bass? Thank you in advance
Bolse was louder, but the sound is very similar. Mocreo is more flexible in terms of features, so overall it's a better value. But honestly, both are fantastic speakers. If you want deeper bass, look for UE Boom or Bose SoundLink. Also, I should be getting a review sample of B&W newest T7 model, but that one is $350 :)

l3v1hd

Nov 1, 2014
Thank you for responses. Is the bolse much more louder? Or not that much? If you would have to choose between those two, would you pay 10-15$ extra for longer battery life and loudness?

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Thank you for responses. Is the bolse much more louder? Or not that much? If you would have to choose between those two, would you pay 10-15$ extra for longer battery life and loudness?

How/where are you going to use this wireless speaker? If it's mostly indoors or party entertainment in larger area, Bolse will be a better choice. Otherwise, if you are planning to have it outdoors, on a trip, hiking/biking, etc. where you want something rugged or perhaps a way to listen to music without streaming from a phone (using micro sd card) - Mocreo is a better choice. Extra loudness might be more appropriate for indoors during a party, while outdoors you want to have more personal sound. Also, outdoors, you would want to take external battery with you anyway for smartphone, etc. so you can always use that to charge it up, if need it.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Just want to add another point. Since I just received B&W T7 (AWESOME SOUND!!!!!!), I fired up MOCREO, Bolse, UE Boom and T7 for comparison. Without a doubt Boom and T7 are in a higher category of sound quality. T7 sounds like a real big wired speaker with a deep bass and very warm thick sound (like you are running through tube amps). Boom is right behind it with less bass and not as loud, but still a great sound. When it comes to MOCREO and Bolse - my comment above is still valid where Bolse is more appropriate for indoors and Mocreo for outdoors. Both are loud, BUT Bolse sound very clean at the top volume while MOCREO starts to distort. So, in terms of sound quality Bolse wins since you can raise the volume up to the max and it doesn't distort, but Mocreo still has more flexibility since it's rugged and can play music from micro sd card.

Reactions: l3v1hd

l3v1hd

Nov 1, 2014
Based on your review I ordered the Mocreo Mosound. I hope I won't be disappointed. I won't listen to it very loud. I would probably listen to the 50% of the volume. have you listened to the Mocreo Mosound Bass with the 2 passive radiators? It can be found as Dynamix pulse aswell. There is another budget bluetooth speaker with great feedback from Earson ER-151. Thank you for your replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a review of MOCREO Mosound Bar wireless Bluetooth water-resistant speaker. http://mocreo.com/portable-bluetoot...e-built-in-battery-tf-card-supported-197.html available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/MOCREO-Water-resistant-Bluetooth-Rechargable-Supported/dp/B00JF0D8SC/

Recently I reviewed a number of headphones which I referred to as "giant killers", a term I use for budget headphones that surpass in quality and sound other brand names that cost 2x-3x as much. Today, I would like to present to you a budget wireless speaker that can go head-to-head with a number of popular brand names that cost at least 5x as much. I have reviewed and shared with you about a lot of wireless speakers, but this one quickly got elevated to the top of my list because it has every single feature you can possible want, and it actually sounds as good as another very popular brand name model which you are going to see a lot of exterior resemblance to, all that for under $40. Here is what I found.

Arrived in an environmentally friendly packaging (no unnecessary plastic), it had minimalistic graphics and a very accurate description of the product features. With outside sleeve removed, I was actually pleased to see a very sturdy carton box that can be re-used for storage. Inside, you will find Mosound Bar speaker, usb to micro-usb charging cable, and a basic 3.5mm male to male audio cable. I do have to admit, a somewhat skewed-square cylindrical shape and big +/- rubbery buttons on the top reminded me of UE Boom, $200 wireless speaker which I have reviewed in the past and found to be very impressive in sound performance, though lacking in features and controls. With that similarity, in my mind the whole review was based on comparing Mosound Bar to Boom where I found Mocreo completely destroying Logitech/Ultimate Ears speaker in every aspect.

Starting with a design, it's waterproof and rated to be IPX54. It doesn't mean you should submerge it under the water, but the design has a serious water splash protection and a very durable build. Either if you want to place it by pool, or take it to the beach, or keep it outside of a steamy shower, or keep it in the kitchen next to the sink - it should be safe from damage. And speaking of kitchen sink, it has every feature but the "kitchen sink" integrated in its design. I already mentioned water splash resistant exterior with a mesh metal grill front cover for the dual stereo speakers (3.5W each) and the rear bass port cover, as well as soft touch rubber sides, silicone rubber non-slip stand bottom and the same material top with integrated +/- buttons and pinhole microphone. Also, it has 1400 mAh rechargeable battery supporting up to 6 hours of continuous playback.

This beautiful design is complemented by a list of many useful controls and features. Starting from the top, you have "+" and "-" multifunction buttons that control skip next/prev with a short press and volume up/down with a long press. Such playback control is very rare with other speakers. On the left side, you have Play/Pause/Call button to control playback of the song and also to pickup a call since this speaker also pairs up as a speakerphone. A power button is next to Play button and beside power on/off it's also used to start Bluetooth pair up. Below that, there is a rubber cover for micro usb charging port, audio input port (to connect to other audio sources without bluetooth connection), and microSD slot. YES, you can use this speaker as a standalone boombox by inserting microSD card (up to 16GB in capacity) with your own tunes which you can control with Mosound Bar playback controls.

But if you prefer to use it as a wireless speaker, what it was originally intended by design, the pair up is very easy and fast. Assisted with a voice guidance, I was paired up within a minute and connected both to phone and media audio. Wireless range was a typical 30ft before transmission starts to get choppy. The switching between music play and call pick up was seamless, and sound quality of the call was pretty good! But what impressed me the most was the actual sound quality of the speaker. It was loud, clear, and not distorted at high volumes. The sound was warm, with a full body (not your typical thin wireless speaker sound), and had a decent amount of bass punch. Since I started my review with a mentioning of UE Boom, the only advantage Boom has is a little deeper bass, but in everything else Mosound Bar matched or exceeded its sound characteristics. Of course, when it comes to a list of features, it's not even a fair match since UE Boom only offers volume up/down and that's it.

Overall, it's always exciting to see how different manufacturers trying to push the envelope with new features, new design elements, new functionality additions, and sound quality improvements. I think Mocreo just pushed the envelope further to set a new high bar in what you can achieve with a product for under $40 which destroys a number of $100-$300 wireless speakers in comparison. I'm not suggesting it will be better in sound quality in comparison to Bose SoundLink series, but Bose can't match all the features including compact size and water-splash design, not to mention Mosound Bar cost a fraction of the price. In my opinion, this speaker has among the best price/performance ratio, even surpassing my previous favorite Bolse 12W portable wireless speaker. Definitely gets my high recommendation!

Here are the pictures.

mocreo_mosound_bar-01_zps45fbe0e3.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-02_zps0d4c5b15.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-03_zps99a0243b.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-04_zpsed42752f.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-05_zpse8f94eca.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-06_zps2b99c129.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-07_zps2e6a9c94.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-08_zpsf600af4d.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-09_zpsb2fd39d1.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-10_zpsc1db08de.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-11_zpscb343b4e.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-12_zps6da6198a.jpg

mocreo_mosound_bar-13_zps5a086ed6.jpg
    :good: Very detailed description,thank you. Helped me a lot about buying the speaker
    Maybe something wrong happened with my eyes,you said: it has 1400 mAh rechargeable battery supporting up to 6 hours of continuous playback. A 1400mAh battery can support up to 6 hours? Really?
    I have searched this product on amazon's website, if its quality and funtion is as good as you said, i'll consider buying it. Thanks
    Nice Review, I'm considering buying

thank you.