[MOD]Interactive Data2sd + [04-25-11 update]

Search This thread

ungaze

Jul 27, 2010
manila
INTERACTIVE DATA2SD MOD

There are a lot of ways of moving /data to SD ext(2nd) partition. Here I'll show you an easy way to do it which is fully compatible with Optimus One(and possibly other devices as well). If you don't like the method used here, try other Data2SD/ext mod which may suit your needs, but please, don't hesitate to post your feedbacks/comments be it negative or positive (feedbacks/comments are highly appreciated).

The mod, as the title says, moves the whole /data partition to your SDcard's 2nd(ext) partition, which could give you virtually unlimited space to install apps and also boost quadrant scores. I have tested this with EXT2(and can get up to 900+ on quadrant with stagefright off or 2000 with stagefright on, OC'd to 787mhz with I/O score playing around 4000 - 5000+), so if you're using other FileSystems, please do post your feedbacks and possibly your I/O scores as well. I have also enforced an e2fsck on every boot which is useful for ext2 users as this will check and fix your 2nd partition for errors on every boot, if there's any.

Dalvik2cache temporarily unavailable with v4b5. A new version with the option to move dalvik-cache almost anywhere possible is coming up. If you still want to use the dalvik2ram mod, try v1.2(link at the bottom).
Why move dalvik-cache to RAM? Basically, the idea of moving the whole /data partition to SD ext partition is to primarily get more space for installing apps. And in this case, it does perform very well and combined with fast SD cards, it could even provide real-life performance boost. Now the downside to this, is that while most /data contents just get copied and read not that much often, dalvik-cache stores some info that needs to be read and updated very frequently. This results in a high I/O read/write frequency and thus results in shortening of the SD card life(in theory, the same could also be said when left internally but this time dealing damage to the nand disk instead). To counter this, the method I used is to move dalvik-cache to a virtual-disk like partition known as a tmpfs. tmpfs resides in RAM and has dynamic resizing structure which can allocate space depending on your needs. This way, dalvik-cache won't be using any physical disk and therefore causing damage to none. Almost too good to be true right? Well the drawback is, because tmpfs resides in RAM anything written onto it get's lost when rebooted or in-case of power loss thus resulting in loooong boot times(depending on the apps installed), as dalvik-cache contents are being rebuilt on every boot. Well I think that's enough of dalvik-cache and lets start with the mod.

WARNING

USING A NON-APP2SD ROM OR SIMPLY UNINSTALLING APP2SD IS STRICTLY RECOMMENDED
DO NOT EVEN TRY THIS MOD IF YOU HAVE ANY FORM OF APP2SD INSTALLED
ALWAYS PERFORM A BACKUP BEFORE TRYING OUT STUFF LIKE THESE

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything bad happening to the world blah blah, you know the drill!

INSTALLATION

An SD card with at least two partitions required.(First partition as FAT32 for regular SD use and second partition as EXT2(EXT3 and EXT4 will be supported on future builds)

1. Download Data2sd_v4b5.zip here!(latest stable build)
2. Flash via recovery

(testers WANTED, preferably using different ROMs.)

Test release can be found here!!!!!

QUADRANT TEST RESULT:

This mod is still on-going and still under development. Although it's already fully functional, some features or options may still be added later-on. Please post your feedbacks and give thanks if you can.
screenshot_24.png

To disable DarkTremor's app2sd, just follow these steps
Ungaze_Data2sd_v1_2.zip(archive)

Code:
#Data2Sdext_Dalvik-cache2RAM
#
#By: Ungaze
#
#Credits:
#uncorrupted for original script for a wide variety of devices
#sibere and ownhere for additional resources
#pomka78 for dalvik-RAM script and Idea
#nervgaz, franciscofranco, andy572 and joesephmother for ideas and suggestions.
#all the testers and everyone who provided feedbacks on this mod. Thanks to you guys.
#

Last edited:

marioemp2k7

Feb 16, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Very nice job! I will try it asap.
Attached the edify signed version (Clockworkmod 3 :)). It installs just fine.
@hell1134: I think it should work on any rom that obeys the prerequisites and that are properly explained by ungaze (no apps2SD script installed or if it is something just uninstall in order to try this).

Attachments

• Ungaze_Data2SD_signed_edify.zip
    499.5 KB · Views: 8,902
Last edited:
Reactions: liho19

marioemp2k7

Feb 16, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 8 Pro
The script works fine. I tested it on Mik's beta 6.2. The only issue I have seen is with the themes. Even though a theme is selected, it defaults to the System one and since I could not find a way to do a hot reboot I couldn't properly apply my desired theme.

Momaro

Feb 27, 2011
I have the other dalvik cache script running right now. You talk a lot about improving the life of the device/sd and saving space for apps. Is there no performance gains with doing this?

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA Premium App

ungaze

Jul 27, 2010
manila
I have the other dalvik cache script running right now. You talk a lot about improving the life of the device/sd and saving space for apps. Is there no performance gains with doing this?

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA Premium App

Personally, I don't find any huge/noticeable gain on any mod I have done with O1 this is because O1 is already super fast as it is, and it's a good thing. But if you're the kind of person who measures performance based on benchmark's, then data2sd will give you huge I/O performance gain(specially in quadrant). On the other hand, dalvik-cache2ram is purely for disk preservation only. Not much gain here.

regarding themes on miks CM7 6.2. I really don't have the slightest idea on what's happening with your themes. Maybe its in the way that CM implements themes? I reallt don't know as themes reside in the /system partition which should not be affected by the scripts that I have made.

marioemp2k7

Feb 16, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I personally haven't seen any performance benefits. Anyway as I think about it the sdcard way is more preferably for me since I would never use one with a lesser class than 6.

@ungaze: Only the default themes (System, Androidian and Cyanbread) are in /system

Last edited:

lekhwani

The script works fine. I tested it on Mik's beta 6.2. The only issue I have seen is with the themes. Even though a theme is selected, it defaults to the System one and since I could not find a way to do a hot reboot I couldn't properly apply my desired theme.

May be pasting your desired theme to system/app and removing the current default will help. Then even after reboot default will be your drsired theme.

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk

marioemp2k7

Feb 16, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I don't think it will help me since the question is about T-Mobile Theme Manager settings. I don't know where these are saved but it is pretty obvious that there are not in the right place since everything defaults to the System theme.

Edit: I have managed to make Hot Reboot (Quick Boot Plus) work so now I have the themes working properly since I can restart only the UI.
I will stick to this for now.

Last edited:

sarfaraz1989

Jan 19, 2011
New Delhi
one question :: is the phone really fast with data partition on sdcard's ext2 partition ??? anybody using it please give your inputs: Also How do i use this along with darktremor's a2sd ??? i just want data2sd not dlcache2ram

marioemp2k7

Feb 16, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I haven't used ext2 partition but I can tell you about 3 and 4. Theoretically, performance wise ext2 should be as fast as ext4 the only major difference being that the latter is a journaled fs.
In practice you will not see too much difference between the 3 of them on this phone.
I have used mostly ext4 and I am happy with it. Once the phone boots it adds a little waiting time to actually be ready (5-10 secs for me).

For the second part, I don't think it's feasible to use both. Instead you can use the original script by pomka78 and disable darktremor's dalvik script from (a2sd nocache).

32bit

Apr 26, 2008
Moscow
is the phone really fast with data partition on sdcard's ext2 partition ???
I'd tried app2sd with microSD Class 4 and now I can say that for scheme "data@Ext, Dalvik@phone" ext2 is faster than ext3, and ext4 is a waaay faster than ext3. This scheme is very useful and most of the time it is as fast, as "all_data@phone" due to Dalvik cache is on nand. The scheme "(data&Dalvik)@Ext" with slow cards is almost useless because of the lags.
But of course it's better to use Class10 :)

Last edited:

franciscofranco

Recognized Developer
Dec 9, 2010
Carcavelos
I haven't used ext2 partition but I can tell you about 3 and 4. Theoretically, performance wise ext2 should be as fast as ext4 the only major difference being that the latter is a journaled fs.
In practice you will not see too much difference between the 3 of them on this phone.
I have used mostly ext4 and I am happy with it. Once the phone boots it adds a little waiting time to actually be ready (5-10 secs for me).

For the second part, I don't think it's feasible to use both. Instead you can use the original script by pomka78 and disable darktremor's dalvik script from (a2sd nocache).

Ext2 is the fastest one because of no journalism.

Anyway this script works awesomely good. With a class 4 card my phone flies like it never did and I don't understand how anyone can say that it lags.

lerkin

Jan 4, 2011
msk
Hi, I finally flash a rom with init.d enabled. Now I have franciscofranco scripts. But something went wrong when I flashed Data2SD + Dalvik-cache2RAM...

Last edited:

lerkin

Jan 4, 2011
msk
It's written in capital letters

Do you have A2SD script? You need a non-a2sd rom

Yes I have rom without it.
I installed franciscofranco first, and everything was fine.
After it I flashed that script, android was starting for 5 minutes and after that it hanged up, I removed battery, started again and there were constant force closes of titanium backup, launcherpro and some android processes.

I tried to install only that Data2SD + Dalvik-cache2RAM script on fresh rom. It started, when it hanged on "preparing SD", after restart everything was fine, there was about 400 mb of free rom.
Interesting... Are those two scripts compatible?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    INTERACTIVE DATA2SD MOD

There are a lot of ways of moving /data to SD ext(2nd) partition. Here I'll show you an easy way to do it which is fully compatible with Optimus One(and possibly other devices as well). If you don't like the method used here, try other Data2SD/ext mod which may suit your needs, but please, don't hesitate to post your feedbacks/comments be it negative or positive (feedbacks/comments are highly appreciated).

The mod, as the title says, moves the whole /data partition to your SDcard's 2nd(ext) partition, which could give you virtually unlimited space to install apps and also boost quadrant scores. I have tested this with EXT2(and can get up to 900+ on quadrant with stagefright off or 2000 with stagefright on, OC'd to 787mhz with I/O score playing around 4000 - 5000+), so if you're using other FileSystems, please do post your feedbacks and possibly your I/O scores as well. I have also enforced an e2fsck on every boot which is useful for ext2 users as this will check and fix your 2nd partition for errors on every boot, if there's any.

Dalvik2cache temporarily unavailable with v4b5. A new version with the option to move dalvik-cache almost anywhere possible is coming up. If you still want to use the dalvik2ram mod, try v1.2(link at the bottom).
    Why move dalvik-cache to RAM? Basically, the idea of moving the whole /data partition to SD ext partition is to primarily get more space for installing apps. And in this case, it does perform very well and combined with fast SD cards, it could even provide real-life performance boost. Now the downside to this, is that while most /data contents just get copied and read not that much often, dalvik-cache stores some info that needs to be read and updated very frequently. This results in a high I/O read/write frequency and thus results in shortening of the SD card life(in theory, the same could also be said when left internally but this time dealing damage to the nand disk instead). To counter this, the method I used is to move dalvik-cache to a virtual-disk like partition known as a tmpfs. tmpfs resides in RAM and has dynamic resizing structure which can allocate space depending on your needs. This way, dalvik-cache won't be using any physical disk and therefore causing damage to none. Almost too good to be true right? Well the drawback is, because tmpfs resides in RAM anything written onto it get's lost when rebooted or in-case of power loss thus resulting in loooong boot times(depending on the apps installed), as dalvik-cache contents are being rebuilt on every boot. Well I think that's enough of dalvik-cache and lets start with the mod.

WARNING

USING A NON-APP2SD ROM OR SIMPLY UNINSTALLING APP2SD IS STRICTLY RECOMMENDED
    DO NOT EVEN TRY THIS MOD IF YOU HAVE ANY FORM OF APP2SD INSTALLED
    ALWAYS PERFORM A BACKUP BEFORE TRYING OUT STUFF LIKE THESE

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything bad happening to the world blah blah, you know the drill!

INSTALLATION

An SD card with at least two partitions required.(First partition as FAT32 for regular SD use and second partition as EXT2(EXT3 and EXT4 will be supported on future builds)

1. Download Data2sd_v4b5.zip here!(latest stable build)
    2. Flash via recovery

(testers WANTED, preferably using different ROMs.)

Test release can be found here!!!!!

QUADRANT TEST RESULT:

This mod is still on-going and still under development. Although it's already fully functional, some features or options may still be added later-on. Please post your feedbacks and give thanks if you can.
    screenshot_24.png

To disable DarkTremor's app2sd, just follow these steps
    Ungaze_Data2sd_v1_2.zip(archive)

Code:
    #Data2Sdext_Dalvik-cache2RAM
    #
    #By: Ungaze
    #
    #Credits:
    #uncorrupted for original script for a wide variety of devices
    #sibere and ownhere for additional resources
    #pomka78 for dalvik-RAM script and Idea
    #nervgaz, franciscofranco, andy572 and joesephmother for ideas and suggestions.
    #all the testers and everyone who provided feedbacks on this mod. Thanks to you guys.
    #
    My mini-guide to flash Amon_Ra v1.2(ported by drellisdee)

What you need:
    1. terminal emulator(download from market - free)
    2. recovery installer(download here)
    3. winrar/7zip (or whichever archive unpacking/extracting tool you use)

when you have everything, lets start:
    1. extract contents of "recovey_installer.rar" to the root(meaning the base) of your SDcard.(it contains 3 files, so you should also see 3 new files on your SD card).
    2. open terminal emulator, enter these lines(press enter after each line):
    Code:
    su
    sh /sdcard/rf.sh
    3. Done! This should lead you directly to the recovery menu!!!!!

Visit this thread for more info.
    No, you just need to remove a2sd. First of all from adb shell do "a2sd nocache" (it will restart); after reboot from shell do "a2sd nodata" (restart); and finally "a2sd remove".
    Another option is to do it from A2SDGui
    After this you can flash the script (.zip).
    OK guys, let's give it another try. Just like before

TO THOSE WHO ARE WILLING TO TEST

1. Download here!!!!!(v4b5)
    2. Flash through recovery(I suggest using it on a freshly installed ROM)
    3. If booting is successful and it presents no problem then congratulations and post your feedback here.
    4. If booting is successful but you experience some problems, then look through your SD card for a folder named "d2sd". Scuffle through it's contents and paste the stuff here.
    5. If booting is unsuccessful, then try to reboot without the SD(just remove it and put it back only when you see the lockscreen), then look for the same file mentioned above, BUT also look for it in the /system/d2sd folder.

I'm looking forward for your results.
    It looks like I have installed Data2sd on my openOptimus 1.78 ROM with Franco kernel 15. I recreated my partition on my memory card using AmonRa but installed openOptimus with clockworkmod. I will report back on stability.

openOptimus>Data2sd>success
    openOptimus>Data2sd>Franco kernel v15>would not boot
    openOptimus>Franco kernel v15>ZRAM>Data2sd>success

PS Used Ungaze_Data2sd_v4b5.zip

PPS Changelog
    openOptimus build 1.172(With openScript 0.5.4)(Sun 5 Jun,15:00 GMT+1):
    *App2sd completely removed