[HOWTO] Revive a bricked P500 on fastboot mode (the SHORT way)

Search This thread

FnH84

Feb 18, 2011
I'm trying to help my friend who did this, but he says that after he types in fastboot reboot, the phone just says "wait" and nothing happens. Any ideas?

gokulvarma

Jan 3, 2011
Trivandrum
The usual DISCLAIMER: Use at your own risk!

Fastboot mode usually comes up if something went wrong when trying to flash a recovery image, for example when flashing AmonRa recovery or ClockWorkMod. It happened to me several times so I tried to learn to revive it without reflashing the original firmware. Note: This tutorial works only if recovery is the only one broken. (If the ROM itself is broken, then that's a subject for another tut.) In this case, the most logical thing to do is just reflash the recovery image. So how do you do it in fastboot mode? Here's how:

Symptom
You tried flashing a custom recovery like ClockWorkMod or Thunderg, or you flashed an incorrect ROM, and when you rebooted, it showed this screen:

Code:
fastboot mode started
udc_start()

and the phone stays there. When you plugin the phone to your computer's USB, it is detected and the screen has this display:

Code:
fastboot mode started
udc.start()
-- suspend --
-- reset --
-- portchange --
-- reset --
-- portchange --

You will need
1) Your PC and your USB cable for the phone
2) USB drivers for your phone (use B2C from LG).
3) Android SDK (download from here)
4) Java, required to run the SDK (but right now I am not sure if this is required to run fastboot!)
5) ClockWorkMod or AmonRa Recovery.

Here's what to do
1) Assuming phone is turned on in fastboot mode, plug it in to the USB of your PC. You will know that it is detected if you see the the lines "suspend", "reset" and whatnot on the phone's screen.
2) Extract the recovery image from the zipfile downloaded from step#5 above (e.g. LGp500-recovery-v12.img). Place the image file in the same folder where fastboot.exe is (usually in the tools\ folder in the SDK). For your convenience, rename the img file as recovery.img
3) Fire up your command prompt and cd to the directory where fastboot.exe is located. Then type the following command:
Code:
fastboot erase recovery
Once you get the confirmation that it was successful, type this:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Once you get the success confirmation, reboot the phone, or you can also type (optional):
Code:
fastboot reboot

The phone will reboot itself, and with any luck you should be able to go back to your same old Android bootscreen. Note that no settings were modified here, so this is extremely useful for those who do not want a clean slate after a fastboot nightmare.

Also, note that if this is successful, you can now boot to recovery with the usual button-combos, thus enabling you to flash ROMs and other recovery zips.

Note: On some SDK versions, fastboot may not be included. For your convenience, I have attached the fastboot binary I got from my downloaded SDK. I have also attached AdbWinApi.dll which some user reported is missing in the SDK. Place the DLL in the same folder where fastboot.exe is located.

Questions, just drop me a line here ;)
worked flawlessly other than me getting hard time installing the phone drivers on Win7.

Reactions: Crazy476963

abhi989

Jun 6, 2011
Hi I got stuck in the same LG logo during the boot time.. I was using the ROM MANAGER and was just trying to create a backup :| Now My biggest problem now is that evn though I have uninstalled and installed the drivers (for lg optimus one) from my system MANY times... adb is still not reading my phone, although suspend, start and options are shown in the phone but since pc is not recognising it, i am unable to proceed.. The same system was recognising my phone till ysday :| plzz help!! wud be vry grateful

Last edited:

hotshot05

Dec 2, 2008
My phone is stuck in fastboot mode.

Now whenever I attach my phone to laptop, A found new hardware box opens up.
And in command prompt, when i type fastboot, it says "waiting for device"
I have all the drivers installed.

BlackRose 22

Jun 23, 2011
Atlanta Ga.
Step 3 don't understand what that means how do I access that or does it just pop up or something
Thanks

Sent from my LG-P509 using XDA App

gkarthik16

Dec 25, 2010
Atlanta
Step 3 don't understand what that means how do I access that or does it just pop up or something
Thanks

Sent from my LG-P509 using XDA App

If you're running Windows, on your desktop, go to start -> Run -> and type "cmd"

The command prompt would open up and there it would be pointing to some directory by default, like C:\Documents and Settings\..

Go to the path where you've installed the SDK by typing "cd your-path" without the quotes.

clawsright

Mar 1, 2011
bangalore
My phone is stuck in fastboot mode.

Now whenever I attach my phone to laptop, A found new hardware box opens up.
And in command prompt, when i type fastboot, it says "waiting for device"
I have all the drivers installed.

The same is happening with me
After entering the following command
fastboot erase recovery
it shows < waiting for device >

clawsright

Mar 1, 2011
bangalore
Finally, Recovered my phone by flashing KDZ through Emergency mode.. No other method worked..

I tried the method given in this thread it did not work.. i described it in my previous posts

sligh

Nov 29, 2008
I would like to say thanks to arvinoids for this helpful thread. I bricked my LG P350 after trying to make a backup via ROM Manager. I just followed the instructions!

Thanks again!

BlackRose 22

Jun 23, 2011
Atlanta Ga.
So what do i do when a new cwm comes out like the new one that just came out do I use rom manger again or something else.
I hear you should flash clock work twice when using rom manger to make sure it sticks

LG O1 Running Cm7 Mik_OS 2.35

bullet_freak

Dec 23, 2008
chandigarh
after updating rom manager to 5.0 my phone stucks on lg logo when i restarted it into recovery mode...
i tried to get into recovery mode manually..but only lg logo appears..
now i only seen is the lg logo..not flash recovery nothing..

please anyone here provide me the link how to get it back it in wroking condition..

ur help will be really appericiated...
thanks

arvinoids

Jul 12, 2010
Cebu
Hi all,

I updated to CWM 5 just to find out what you guys are talking about. After getting the message that flashing was successful, I was able to reboot flawlessly to recovery mode. I restarted just to make sure and it worked as intended.

@BlackRose 22, just flash it from CWM. It should work, since it basically uses the same flashing method as it always has with the previous versions. Make sure that you get the success popup and you should be good.

@bullet_freak, I have not experienced this. Did you get the success popup? Note that if you received an error message on the first attempt at flashing (which I got, by the way), you should repeat until you get the success screen, otherwise the recovery image might have been corrupted.

Cheers all! ;)

lilliput222

Jun 22, 2011
New Delhi
any1 whu is getting error of " waiting for device " download and install pdanet for lg it will solve ur prob ..and also thanks to me :p

~Hbk~

Mar 4, 2011
Yikesss

My Lg Optimus one does not boot after i installed Battery Icon Mod.apk:eek:

My phone is just stuck at the android boot screen. I want to know if this method will help me revive the device.:confused:

When i try booting into recovery it says:
fastboot mode started
udc_start()

I really don't want to use the kdz method, as i have a lot of data and dont want to lose it.

I have a nandroid backup and all that. Can i go ahead and give this a try? And are there any risks of losing data if i use this method?

Edit : i chose the kdz method! and i screwed up the update process by accidentally selecting 3GQCT-Smartphone (WM) instead of 3GQCT :-(
And subsequently tried flashing by selecting 3GQCT, and that did not help .. My phone's COMPLETLY DEAD NOW..

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The usual DISCLAIMER: Use at your own risk!

Fastboot mode usually comes up if something went wrong when trying to flash a recovery image, for example when flashing AmonRa recovery or ClockWorkMod. It happened to me several times so I tried to learn to revive it without reflashing the original firmware. Note: This tutorial works only if recovery is the only one broken. (If the ROM itself is broken, then that's a subject for another tut.) In this case, the most logical thing to do is just reflash the recovery image. So how do you do it in fastboot mode? Here's how:

Symptom
    You tried flashing a custom recovery like ClockWorkMod or Thunderg, or you flashed an incorrect ROM, and when you rebooted, it showed this screen:

Code:
    fastboot mode started
    udc_start()

and the phone stays there. When you plugin the phone to your computer's USB, it is detected and the screen has this display:

Code:
    fastboot mode started
    udc.start()
    -- suspend --
    -- reset --
    -- portchange --
    -- reset --
    -- portchange --

You will need
    1) Your PC and your USB cable for the phone
    2) USB drivers for your phone (use B2C from LG).
    3) Android SDK (download from here)
    4) Java, required to run the SDK (but right now I am not sure if this is required to run fastboot!)
    5) ClockWorkMod or AmonRa Recovery.

Here's what to do
    1) Assuming phone is turned on in fastboot mode, plug it in to the USB of your PC. You will know that it is detected if you see the the lines "suspend", "reset" and whatnot on the phone's screen.
    2) Extract the recovery image from the zipfile downloaded from step#5 above (e.g. LGp500-recovery-v12.img). Place the image file in the same folder where fastboot.exe is (usually in the tools\ folder in the SDK). For your convenience, rename the img file as recovery.img
    3) Fire up your command prompt and cd to the directory where fastboot.exe is located. Then type the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot erase recovery
    Once you get the confirmation that it was successful, type this:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    Once you get the success confirmation, reboot the phone, or you can also type (optional):
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

The phone will reboot itself, and with any luck you should be able to go back to your same old Android bootscreen. Note that no settings were modified here, so this is extremely useful for those who do not want a clean slate after a fastboot nightmare.

Also, note that if this is successful, you can now boot to recovery with the usual button-combos, thus enabling you to flash ROMs and other recovery zips.

Note: On some SDK versions, fastboot may not be included. For your convenience, I have attached the fastboot binary I got from my downloaded SDK. I have also attached AdbWinApi.dll which some user reported is missing in the SDK. Place the DLL in the same folder where fastboot.exe is located.

Questions, just drop me a line here ;)
    Nice tutorial for newbies like me, thanks...

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA Premium App
    We already have a tut like this.
    @arvinoids
    Good tutorial, but you forgot to say that LG USB drivers are needed and that fastboot.exe must be downloaded before (it's no more included in android SDK)
    thanks man ;)

You are right! I should add that here. Also, I got the latest SDK to verify and found fastboot.exe under the "tools" folder. Can tell me which SDK version you downloaded?
    nothing.... just it stucks on LG Logo...

That's really a very ambiguous issue you are having there. If recovery was damaged, you would not have been able to boot to the LG logo, and you would get the fastboot mode. The combo button you tried was volume down + Home + Power on? Note that on a phone without a custom recovery installed this would just restore the phone to factory defaults and reboots it.