[GUIDE] Unlock and Root a Nexus 7

Search This thread

FadedLite

Jul 10, 2010
California
socaldevs.com
I found less detailed guide on rootzwiki created by birdman, but i decided to repost it here in more detail.

* Disclaimer: I do not take any responsibility for anything you do to your phone, whether be brick, break, or somehow mess it up.

Requirements
1. You must have the sdk installed and you are able to access, and use adb and fastboot.
2. You must have debugging enabled on your Nexus 7.
3. Download Su here (Chainfire's thread for supersu) (Thanks Eric_Eric_Eric)
4. Download CWM here. Scroll down to Nexus 7 and choose whether touch or regular.

Pre-Steps
To make this easier, you should put the su zip on the sdcard for later.

1. In terminal, cd to the directory you have your sdk in. Then cd into platform-tools.
2. Type adb push path-to-zip/JB-SuperSU.zip /sdcard

Unlocking Your Nexus 7

To unlock your device
1. cd to platform-tools
2. Reboot to the bootloader - adb reboot bootloader
3. Unlock your device* -
fastboot oem unlock
*You will have to accept and erase all the user data on the tablet.
*You must run this as sudo in Linux

Flash Clockwork Mod Recovery
(You're still inside the bootloader)

4. Flash CWM -
fastboot flash recovery path-to-img/CWM-grouper-recovery.img​
5. Make CWM Permanent -
1. Boot into recovery​
2. Go to Mounts and Storage​
3. Mount /System​
4. Type in Terminal*​
adb shell
cd /system
mv recovery-from-boot.p recovery-from-boot.bak

If your having trouble gaining shell, try "adb kill-server" then "abd start-server". Couple of my friends had this problem, and this should hopefully fix it.
* For some people, it has been reported that you don't have to replace recovery-from-boot.bak. The flash is enough to make the recovery stick.

Flash Su

1. Go back by pressing power button​
2. Install the zip in the sdcard​

Reboot and your device is now rooted!!

For anybody having trouble trying to use fastboot and come up with a no-permissions error or adb ????????? problem, I created a guide to fix the problem here: [GUIDE]Fix Fastboot and USB

Last edited:

jorge_culv

Dec 31, 2005
No SD Card!

Not to be a jackass or anything, but this tablet has no SD Card slot...might that require slightly different steps than what you outlined?

Reactions: bjam19

paddycr

Jan 25, 2012
OnePlus 8T
Not to be a jackass or anything, but this tablet has no SD Card slot...might that require slightly different steps than what you outlined?

What he wrote about pushing SU to /sdcard is correct. I have a Transformer Prime and ASUS called the internal storage /sdcard, which is a little counter intuitive. I presume the same situation exists with the Nexus 7.

FadedLite

Jul 10, 2010
California
socaldevs.com
What he wrote about pushing SU to /sdcard is correct. I have a Transformer Prime and ASUS called the internal storage /sdcard, which is a little counter intuitive. I presume the same situation exists with the Nexus 7.

This is correct. There is no emmc internal storage. Its just called sdcard

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

FadedLite

Jul 10, 2010
California
socaldevs.com
Is there a way to do this without adb? I'm sort of new to adb....any help would be greatly appreciated. Ty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium

Umm, this no way to do this without adb. I'm working on a one click script which i will be posting later. I am currently in IO Sessions and should have it in the next couple of days.

But an answer, again, no, there isn't. You need to download the sdk, and install the tools. then just cd to platform-tools, and use adb like i said. If your in windows, use adb.exe then the arguments, but if your in linux, just use ./adb. Same thing with fastboot.

movieaddict

Jul 24, 2010
Umm, this no way to do this without adb. I'm working on a one click script which i will be posting later. I am currently in IO Sessions and should have it in the next couple of days.

But an answer, again, no, there isn't. You need to download the sdk, and install the tools. then just cd to platform-tools, and use adb like i said. If your in windows, use adb.exe then the arguments, but if your in linux, just use ./adb. Same thing with fastboot.

TY very much faded, looking forward to ur one click script!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I found less detailed guide on rootzwiki created by birdman, but i decided to repost it here in more detail.

* Disclaimer: I do not take any responsibility for anything you do to your phone, whether be brick, break, or somehow mess it up.

Requirements
    1. You must have the sdk installed and you are able to access, and use adb and fastboot.
    2. You must have debugging enabled on your Nexus 7.
    3. Download Su here (Chainfire's thread for supersu) (Thanks Eric_Eric_Eric)
    4. Download CWM here. Scroll down to Nexus 7 and choose whether touch or regular.

Pre-Steps
    To make this easier, you should put the su zip on the sdcard for later.

1. In terminal, cd to the directory you have your sdk in. Then cd into platform-tools.
    2. Type adb push path-to-zip/JB-SuperSU.zip /sdcard

Unlocking Your Nexus 7

To unlock your device
    1. cd to platform-tools
    2. Reboot to the bootloader - adb reboot bootloader
    3. Unlock your device* -
    fastboot oem unlock
    *You will have to accept and erase all the user data on the tablet.
    *You must run this as sudo in Linux

Flash Clockwork Mod Recovery
    (You're still inside the bootloader)

4. Flash CWM -
    fastboot flash recovery path-to-img/CWM-grouper-recovery.img​
    5. Make CWM Permanent -
    1. Boot into recovery​
    2. Go to Mounts and Storage​
    3. Mount /System​
    4. Type in Terminal*​
    adb shell
    cd /system
    mv recovery-from-boot.p recovery-from-boot.bak

If your having trouble gaining shell, try "adb kill-server" then "abd start-server". Couple of my friends had this problem, and this should hopefully fix it.
    * For some people, it has been reported that you don't have to replace recovery-from-boot.bak. The flash is enough to make the recovery stick.

Flash Su

1. Go back by pressing power button​
    2. Install the zip in the sdcard​

Reboot and your device is now rooted!!

For anybody having trouble trying to use fastboot and come up with a no-permissions error or adb ????????? problem, I created a guide to fix the problem here: [GUIDE]Fix Fastboot and USB
    I do not know of a driver right now. I'm using Ubuntu so I guess it just worked for me. If i come across any drivers, I'll post them in the thread, but until then, i'm not too sure :/

sorry man. :(

If you find them, please tell me so i can post them to help others with the same problem.

Though, i would think that windows would pick it up automatically being that it's just adb drivers.

When I updated the Android SDK it also had an update for the "Google USB Driver". When I look at this driver it now includes the Nexus 7.

I have attached the new Windows drivers for those who don't have the SDK installed.
    EDIT: It appears there are some problems with XDA uploads lately (at least for me) so I have shared it here
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=DC89975E3CE960E5!219
    Is there a way to do this without adb? I'm sort of new to adb....any help would be greatly appreciated. Ty

what would unlocking do? isnt that for phones so you can put other simcards??

It is technically "unlocking the boot loader" but unlocking was short and sweet for the title.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app