Stupid Questions Thread- No Question too stupid! I promise!

Do you think this thread is helping with unneeded threads from popping up?

• Yes! less threads asking common or stupid stuff

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • No. but Like the idea

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • NO! Hate everything about this thread!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

oddspec

Sep 28, 2011
palm bay
Google Pixel 7
Question I am coming from a sgs2 with with voodoo louder u could but up headphone volume by 20 db thru the Yamaha sound chip is there anything like that for this phone all I can find is info is a about a sound hack for the international version.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

AtoZ0to9

Jul 27, 2007
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 9
So after trying 3 different 4.0 headsets it is confirmed I have a defective device. Samsung has told me to send it in for a replacement. Now I need to find the thread for Canadian users to revert back to stock. This was a telus phone so I assume I need the Telus unrooted Odin image that I flash in Odin, then run triangle away, then factory reset, correct?

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

triangle away first...

PhxDroid86

Jan 14, 2013
Phoenix
Just trying to verify the easiest way to get a regular sim to work in a microsim slot...

If I want to buy a N4 for a friend(microsim) but he owns a MyTouch4G (regular sim) can he buy a microsim (w/ adapter), keep the same number, and be able to use either phone whenever?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

bdithug

Mar 26, 2012
Burlington
LG G8
Sony Xperia 1 IV
After thinking about it I realize I wouldn't be able to run triangle away after flashing to unrooted stock lol. So I guess really I should try triangle away now, if it doesn't work, restore my rooted stock nandroid, run again, then flash back to unrooted stock.

Tr1ggerhappy07

Feb 14, 2013
What's the difference between aosp, tw, aokp. Also how can you tell if you're running jellybean, ics, or any of those. Relatively new to the Android world and I must know more!

hednik

May 31, 2012
Fort Worth
What's the difference between aosp, tw, aokp. Also how can you tell if you're running jellybean, ics, or any of those. Relatively new to the Android world and I must know more!

TW is stock Samsung software
AOSP is pertty much vanilla android not made by a handset manufacturer
AOKP is custom ROM based on a lot of open source APP and firmware like cyanogen mod and AOSP, and other areas. Completely custom

ICS is version 4.0.whatever
Jelly Bean is 4.1.whatever

You to go settings -> about device -> and android version

Reactions: Tr1ggerhappy07

Tr1ggerhappy07

Feb 14, 2013
Ok so they are just changing the names as the versions increase? So if there's going to be a 4.3 it would be named another delicious snack?

droid_funktionz

Feb 3, 2013
When using CWM for recovery, it is saving my backups in a strange location. Somewhere like /mnt/shell/emulated/... instead of just the main cwm folder on the sd card.

What is the proper way to backup your backups to PC from my phone and also when it comes to restoring them? Do you just move back and forth between this folder as needed?

I used android commander and it seems to work okay for this. I just wanna make sure I am doing this properly cause I already noticed that backups are a bit finicky when restoring if you changed the name of the backup folder. I got an md5 checksum error because of this I assume. 2nd time i tried removing spaces in the folder name and it restored without an error but the phone would not boot. Luckily I had a working 4.2.1 nandroid backup and i flashed back to that and all was okay.

Any advice is appreciated

xBeerdroiDx

Nov 10, 2012
Fort Worth
When using CWM for recovery, it is saving my backups in a strange location. Somewhere like /mnt/shell/emulated/... instead of just the main cwm folder on the sd card.

What is the proper way to backup your backups to PC from my phone and also when it comes to restoring them? Do you just move back and forth between this folder as needed?

I used android commander and it seems to work okay for this. I just wanna make sure I am doing this properly cause I already noticed that backups are a bit finicky when restoring if you changed the name of the backup folder. I got an md5 checksum error because of this I assume. 2nd time i tried removing spaces in the folder name and it restored without an error but the phone would not boot. Luckily I had a working 4.2.1 nandroid backup and i flashed back to that and all was okay.

Any advice is appreciated

to backup to pc, you can use adb (if you're familiar) to transfer files back and forth or just plug your phone in to your computer and transfer the nandroid backup to a pc folder that way. of course there are programs like airdroid that allow you to navigate your phone as well. i keep a recent nandroid on my external sd card. do not rename the backup file or folder. cheers

Reactions: droid_funktionz

droid_funktionz

Feb 3, 2013
Thanks for the reply.

Last question on this. When I originally rooted using Team Epics root from recovery zip and Odin, it had installed CWM touch (not sure what version, I assume 5. something), once i was rooted and up and running I had installed ROM manager. Being that the app was a bit buggy or seems to be...

It kept recognizing my phone as not having CWM Recovery installed (even though it obviously was) and it would not allow me to proceed to the manage backups page without installing it again. So long story short i had to overwrite the touch version with the latest 6.something version.

My question is this. Can I safely downgrade back to the version 5 touch CWM without running into problems? or should I just stay put to avoid the hassle? I did like the touch version a lot better.

I heard a lot of good things about TWRP, but the drawback sounds like that you cannot restore nandroid backups made with CWM.

Thanks

eduardo_b

Jun 27, 2012
45°28′N 09°11′E
Thanks for the reply.

Last question on this. When I originally rooted using Team Epics root from recovery zip and Odin, it had installed CWM touch (not sure what version, I assume 5. something), once i was rooted and up and running I had installed ROM manager. Being that the app was a bit buggy or seems to be...

It kept recognizing my phone as not having CWM Recovery installed (even though it obviously was) and it would not allow me to proceed to the manage backups page without installing it again. So long story short i had to overwrite the touch version with the latest 6.something version.

My question is this. Can I safely downgrade back to the version 5 touch CWM without running into problems? or should I just stay put to avoid the hassle? I did like the touch version a lot better.

I heard a lot of good things about TWRP, but the drawback sounds like that you cannot restore nandroid backups made with CWM.

Thanks

You should stay with CWM 6.0.2.3 because it corrects issues from previous versions. You can get a touch build of this version, but I think it's at an additional cost.

xBeerdroiDx

Nov 10, 2012
Fort Worth
Thanks for the reply.

Thanks

cwm/twrp are personal preference. i'm a cwm guy...and a non-touch cwm recovery guy at that. if you want to revert, locate the touch recovery .tar file and flash in odin. 6.0.2.3 is a better option though. the touch version can be purchased.

Tr1ggerhappy07

Feb 14, 2013
What's the difference between cwm and touch cwm? Also kernels. What are they and what's the reason for changing them?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is for those who have what they may feel is a stupid or simple question. Please read through the thread and use the search first. I know Google doesn't always like to make it easy to find answers, so lets work together to give answers where we can. And please remember you will be reported for flaming others.

Remember, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

Thanks goes to lumin30 for coming up with this idea. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1494423
    Hi.

What do batteries run on?

Also, if I melt some dry ice, can I liquid cool my phone without it getting wet?
    have to answ
    Theres a little pink bunny beating on a big bass drum. The faster he beats the more electricity your battery puts out. When he gets tired you plug your phone up so he can rest. You know he's well rested when you see 100%. Then he does it all over again. Amazing. Someone else will have to answer your dry ice question. dry ice floats
    have to answ
    Theres a little pink bunny beating on a big bass drum. The faster he beats the more electricity your battery puts out. When he gets tired you plug your phone up so he can rest. You know he's well rested when you see 100%. Then he does it all over again. Amazing.

Amazing times we live in with miniature pink robot bunnies keeping our phones running! Wish my eyes were smaller so I could see inside of the battery and say "HI BUNNAY! THANKYOU!" :)

Someone else will have to answer your dry ice question. dry ice floats

It floats?! Are you thinking what I'm thinking? If we strap some ice to our phone and hold on tight we can float up to the cottoncandy clouds and eat all we want! Yum
    Is there a way to mute/remove the freaking annoying chime/bell sound that the dialer makes when connecting the the line when dialing a number ?
    open dialer, hit menu, settings/call alert/call status tones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Hi.

What do batteries run on?

Also, if I melt some dry ice, can I liquid cool my phone without it getting wet?