A noob's guide to rooting and flashing

Search This thread

blu422

Jun 12, 2012
Bountiful, UT
Looking into rooting? Maybe try this foreign ROM thing? (Not talking about ethnicities here) Here is the place to be.

First of all, make sure you have a T-Mobile Galaxy S3. (Aka t999 or d2tmo)
If you follow instructions here for any other device, even for galaxy s3's of another carrier you are extremely likely to regret it and end up having to unbrick your device because you installed an incompatible file.
You can take your battery out to make sure it says t999 under if you are not absolutely sure.

Rooting is a similar idea to jail breaking an iPhone. It removes what restrictions there are with android devices. Yes, it is perfectly legal.

Which leads me to my disclaimer:
I take no credit for what's posted here.
The only work here that's mine is the organization. Please donate to the rightful people who spent quality time developing.
Also I am not responsible for any damage done to your device.
It is vital that you follow instructions in every exact detail.

Firstly, rooting.
1. Install drivers for your device onto your PC. To do this, you can install Samsung Kies or there are downloads that will install the drivers solely(recommended link for drivers http://d-h.st/zya)(thanks DocHoliday77). If you get to the point where you can exchange files to phone from the computer and vice-versa then you're set for drivers.
2. Do a backup (using Kies or a program of your choice)
3.Uninstall Kies. Kies doesn't play nicely with the program used to root called Odin. So uninstall Kies so Odin can work unhindered. Your drivers should stay. But make sure you can still copy files between your phone and computer before proceeding.
4.Follow these instructions put together by OfficialPhoneRebel(aka EverythingApplePro):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKwhAVj5Feg
Outdated. try CF-Auto-Root
Yes, I used this method and it did work for me.
5.After you are rooted, the first thing you wanna do is either install ROM manager (on play store). Open ROM manager. (Yes, give it superuser rights) and install the latest clockworkmod recovery, or use GooManager to get TWRP recovery, both work, but sometimes one is suggested for the installation of a specific ROM.
6.Now install busybox(also in play store)
7.You're all done!

If you've made it this far, kudos. Now you're gonna wanna get the app called titanium backup and do a full backup of your phone. Also boot into recovery (home+volume up then press power until it vibrates all while holding home+volume up buttons) do a backup through these menus. If your feeling like an over achiever and wanna be super safe then go ahead and back up to both your internal sdcard and your external sdcard. Also it now would be wise to back up your IMEI nv (basically your phone's identity), instructions for that can be found here (thanks to daxecutioner24)

Now you have reached a possible stopping point. Stop here and enjoy root privileges. Continue to read how to install a custom ROM.

Installing a custom ROM(operating system):
GooManager (on play store) is a pretty good directory for ROMs. And is a great place to download them and gapps. Now since not every ROM installs this way it is important to check the main page associated with that page to see if any special instructions are required.
But this is what you generally do.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1946701

Roms:

Gapps can be found either on the ROM's page or through goo manager make sure the firmware versions match up (like android 4.1 and 4.1 jelly bean gapps)

For a pure android ROM I would suggest CyanogenMod 10.1 (the one I am currently on)

For an inverted stock ROM stuffed with fun features I would suggest DaRTHSTALKER S3

For a full list of roms and descriptions or if your just addicted to flashing, then here's the stockpile of almost every rom made for the galaxy s3 t999
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2088179

Backups are your friend. Especially through recovery mode. They have saved my butt several times when flashing a ROM went wrong.

And yes it is possible to sim unlock (make it so you can use it on any GSM network(such as at&t or US cellular)) your phone:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2037390

Problem happened and you can no longer boot correctly? This is actually very common.

If you can boot into recovery:
Boot into recovery (Hold home button and volume up then press power till it vibrates all while holding volume up and home)
Restore backup (easiest method)
If that falls through then install a rom by following the instructions mentioned earlier.

If you can't boot into recovery or if those methods didn't work:
You must odin to stock. Follow the instructions here under using odin. Odin and Driver files are at the top of the post. Firmware files (what you put in PDA) are located here
If this didn't work, you may be out of luck, try again and if you are still stuck browse the forums and possible post something under Q and A if worst comes to worse, make sure to describe the entire situation including error messages you may have received so the problem can be pinpointed.

And finally, everyone be nice seeing as I am welcoming very new people to this thread.

Also if any suggestions to improve this post let me know.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

daxecutioner24

Jun 24, 2011
I like this post, would save those useless threads how do I root even though it's sticky all over. Also it would be really helpful if you include how to back up your IMEI nv maybe link the thread before they start flashing roms. This is probably one of the most important thing as when you start flashing stuff the IMEI might get lost and without that there is no phone. Everything else looks good.

Here's the link
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=29514187

Last edited:
Reactions: blu422

blu422

Jun 12, 2012
Bountiful, UT
I like this post, would save those useless threads how do I root even though it's sticky all over. Also it would be really helpful if you include how to back up your IMEI nv maybe link the thread before they start flashing roms. This is probably one of the most important thing as when you start flashing stuff the IMEI might get lost and without that there is no phone. Everything else looks good.

Here's the link

Thank you!! I implemented that into my instructions. The goal of this thread is to be the thread that everyone can direct newbies here and not have a thousand different threads on the same thing. Also this way people can get their answers faster seeing as their questions will be in the same known place not in some obscure oddly-titled thread in the wrong section. Thanks!

Last edited:

OisSimple

Mar 13, 2013
will this work on my T-Mobile Galaxy S3 4.1.2?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

raygozao

May 28, 2013
Will this work on a 4.1.2 version and yes I do have the galaxy s3 t-999 T-Mobile please respond back asap thank you

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
It should work fine.
I suggest either CF AutoRoot or root66 (see firmware link in my sig) as the best ways too root. Imo.

Reactions: blu422

blu422

Jun 12, 2012
Bountiful, UT
Yes this works for that all you needed to do is click on the CF-Auto-Root method during the process and that would've been explained to you. I have used CF-Auto-Root atleast twice on two different galaxy s3's running jellybean 4.1.2 and it worked more than flawlessly

Sent from my SPH-L300 using xda app-developers app

Trevorlay

May 7, 2012
Thanks for the info, make sure to read read read, about any changes you are going to do to your phone and always backup! Cheers!

timmyd463229

Dec 16, 2010
So after I root with this method can I still install a custom recovery and install Roms

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

raygozao

May 28, 2013
I have a lg g flex tmobile. Can i install custom recovery and install roms?with this method?

Feb 25, 2009
What about kernels? What exactly are they and how should you flash them (do you even need to)?

Can you still use Galaxy S3 motion activated features after flashing a custom ROM?

Melady

Oct 6, 2014
warren
What about kernels? What exactly are they and how should you flash them (do you even need to)?

Can you still use Galaxy S3 motion activated features after flashing a custom ROM?

kernel is when hardware need something like you bluetooth or need to adjust screen brightness it send a request to kernel bla bla bla.
you can only flash a kernel that is compatible to your rom by rebooting to recovery

blu422

Jun 12, 2012
Bountiful, UT

The way I understand it is the kernel is the bridge between your input and the devices output. Like the bridge between software and hardware... Sorta.. Ya you don't need to flash one sometimes custom kernels can add features and maybe improve GPS/battery life but I don't use custom kernels much. But that's just me some people are in to that stuff.

And yeah it just depends on the specific ROM for the specific features. I don't know if this is still a think its been a while since I've had some Samsung action but check our hyperdrive they had some good stuff going on when I used em.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Best bet is Google. Everything you could ever want to know about kernels and more! If you want to know about custom ones, read the OP's of the many available ones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Looking into rooting? Maybe try this foreign ROM thing? (Not talking about ethnicities here) Here is the place to be.

First of all, make sure you have a T-Mobile Galaxy S3. (Aka t999 or d2tmo)
    If you follow instructions here for any other device, even for galaxy s3's of another carrier you are extremely likely to regret it and end up having to unbrick your device because you installed an incompatible file.
    You can take your battery out to make sure it says t999 under if you are not absolutely sure.

Rooting is a similar idea to jail breaking an iPhone. It removes what restrictions there are with android devices. Yes, it is perfectly legal.

Which leads me to my disclaimer:
    I take no credit for what's posted here.
    The only work here that's mine is the organization. Please donate to the rightful people who spent quality time developing.
    Also I am not responsible for any damage done to your device.
    It is vital that you follow instructions in every exact detail.

Firstly, rooting.
    1. Install drivers for your device onto your PC. To do this, you can install Samsung Kies or there are downloads that will install the drivers solely(recommended link for drivers http://d-h.st/zya)(thanks DocHoliday77). If you get to the point where you can exchange files to phone from the computer and vice-versa then you're set for drivers.
    2. Do a backup (using Kies or a program of your choice)
    3.Uninstall Kies. Kies doesn't play nicely with the program used to root called Odin. So uninstall Kies so Odin can work unhindered. Your drivers should stay. But make sure you can still copy files between your phone and computer before proceeding.
    4.Follow these instructions put together by OfficialPhoneRebel(aka EverythingApplePro):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKwhAVj5Feg
    Outdated. try CF-Auto-Root
    Yes, I used this method and it did work for me.
    5.After you are rooted, the first thing you wanna do is either install ROM manager (on play store). Open ROM manager. (Yes, give it superuser rights) and install the latest clockworkmod recovery, or use GooManager to get TWRP recovery, both work, but sometimes one is suggested for the installation of a specific ROM.
    6.Now install busybox(also in play store)
    7.You're all done!

If you've made it this far, kudos. Now you're gonna wanna get the app called titanium backup and do a full backup of your phone. Also boot into recovery (home+volume up then press power until it vibrates all while holding home+volume up buttons) do a backup through these menus. If your feeling like an over achiever and wanna be super safe then go ahead and back up to both your internal sdcard and your external sdcard. Also it now would be wise to back up your IMEI nv (basically your phone's identity), instructions for that can be found here (thanks to daxecutioner24)

Now you have reached a possible stopping point. Stop here and enjoy root privileges. Continue to read how to install a custom ROM.

Installing a custom ROM(operating system):
    GooManager (on play store) is a pretty good directory for ROMs. And is a great place to download them and gapps. Now since not every ROM installs this way it is important to check the main page associated with that page to see if any special instructions are required.
    But this is what you generally do.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1946701

Roms:

Gapps can be found either on the ROM's page or through goo manager make sure the firmware versions match up (like android 4.1 and 4.1 jelly bean gapps)

For a pure android ROM I would suggest CyanogenMod 10.1 (the one I am currently on)

For an inverted stock ROM stuffed with fun features I would suggest DaRTHSTALKER S3

For a full list of roms and descriptions or if your just addicted to flashing, then here's the stockpile of almost every rom made for the galaxy s3 t999
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2088179

Backups are your friend. Especially through recovery mode. They have saved my butt several times when flashing a ROM went wrong.

And yes it is possible to sim unlock (make it so you can use it on any GSM network(such as at&t or US cellular)) your phone:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2037390

Problem happened and you can no longer boot correctly? This is actually very common.

If you can boot into recovery:
    Boot into recovery (Hold home button and volume up then press power till it vibrates all while holding volume up and home)
    Restore backup (easiest method)
    If that falls through then install a rom by following the instructions mentioned earlier.

If you can't boot into recovery or if those methods didn't work:
    You must odin to stock. Follow the instructions here under using odin. Odin and Driver files are at the top of the post. Firmware files (what you put in PDA) are located here
    If this didn't work, you may be out of luck, try again and if you are still stuck browse the forums and possible post something under Q and A if worst comes to worse, make sure to describe the entire situation including error messages you may have received so the problem can be pinpointed.

And finally, everyone be nice seeing as I am welcoming very new people to this thread.

Also if any suggestions to improve this post let me know.

Here's the link

It should work fine.
    I suggest either CF AutoRoot or root66 (see firmware link in my sig) as the best ways too root. Imo.

Just fyi, though, CF Autoroot aparently does not work fot the new T999L.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using xda premium