Xperia Arc S - Help With Install Cm9

Search This thread

Sulfulric

Sep 5, 2012
Hello everyone,

im new in this forum, and two devices with android, the first is the "asus transformer prime" and the second is a new cellphone - Sony Xperia Arc S - and this is the problem.

I really dont like what sony do the android, the interface, beside iam very familiar with standart ICS in my "Prime" so i search a bit and found some posts about Cyanogen 9 (talking about performance ans stuff), but in that same posts i read that CM9 is only for "Xperia Arc" not "xperia arc S" and i need to use some external "kernell" to be loaded.

My questions are:
What i need to do to install CM9 at "arc s"?
What the procedures?
I need a external "kernel" or just extract the zip (cm-9.1.0-anzu.zip) and get the *.img ?
What is the easyest method to install it?
Can send me a easy guide to do it?
and finally. it will work in portugal? with the operator TMN?
Can someone post the link for one guide to do the install, that actually works?:fingers-crossed:

Thanks in advance for the answers :)
If i can make a clean and smooth install, for sure i will donate :)
(sorry my english)

p.s- i know they are a lot of posts about this, but is because that i cant find my way through they.

samhillxda

Jul 3, 2012
Install instructions:

1. Flash kernel (fastboot flash boot boot.img)
2. Install a Recovery (there are some around this forum)
3. Wipe (only required 1st time)
4. Flash Rom
5. OK!!

Reactions: Sulfulric

Sulfulric

Sep 5, 2012
cm9 on sony xperia arc s

4. Flash Rom
5. OK!!

Thanks for the reply, but that is a litle too generic for me :(, and not answer about a diferent kernel doubth .
can you indicate the links of the most stable files you are talking about?
Or some video to explain this?

Tank you so much :)
Soory im a noob :/

Sulfulric

Sep 5, 2012
No, With FAStboot ONLY

o.k, but which files i should use? can u post some links?
preferable the most stable version, :) i know they are a lot of them but cant choose because i don't have any experience on it.

Im thinking is use one of this two, whats better?

1 - this kernel (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1520654) with this room (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1526717)

or

2 - this kernel (FXP128, by FreeXperiaProject) (come people say works fine) whit this room ( http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=anzu&type=) cm-9.1.0-anzu.zip

please advice,,
Thanks everyone

nPingu

Jan 23, 2012
Verona
Hi all!

Hi!

to flash the kernel you'll need to do it via Fastboot. There are some guides in this section to help you get CWM recovery easily, but if you're a noob like me I'd give try to Flashtool (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1000012).
It's a little program that helps you out flashing kernels, roms and some other joyful gift from xda... ;)
Try it out and let me know!

For the ROM/Kernel choice if you want a clean AOSP (android stock) experience go with the FXP CM9 or AOKP (for a little more customization)... If you browse the "Android Development" section you're going to find plenty about it and in the related thread you'll find some help with kernel choice!

I actually am on JJ's Hybrid Rom with ArcKnight kernel, it's based on Sony's firmware but looks like aosp (I don't like the CM9 camera) and it's really smooth!

Cheers and let me know if I helped you out! :fingers-crossed:

Sulfulric

Sep 5, 2012
Hi!

to flash the kernel you'll need to do it via Fastboot. There are some guides in this section to help you get CWM recovery easily, but if you're a noob like me I'd give try to Flashtool (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1000012).
It's a little program that helps you out flashing kernels, roms and some other joyful gift from xda... ;)

For the ROM/Kernel choice if you want a clean AOSP (android stock) experience go with the FXP CM9 or AOKP (for a little more customization)... If you browse the "Android Development" section you're going to find plenty about it and in the related thread you'll find some help with kernel choice!

I actually am on JJ's Hybrid Rom with ArcKnight kernel, it's based on Sony's firmware but looks like aosp (I don't like the CM9 camera) and it's really smooth!

Hi ,

I believe you :)

Really helpfull man, i take a look at your description and look really nice room.
And i even have a option to install it with "Locked Bootloaders"(http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1673489) so if someting goes wrong i can restore the phone with Sony software (SEUS).

Can you tell me if this are the files you use? (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1537717) you apply the patch too?

Im really happy with your feedback (i can see now some light at the end of the tunel)

To finish i have just one more litle question. is about the "baseband".

I am im Portugal and my phone is under TMN phone line. do you know if this rooms works fine? (i suppose it works because you can update too official ICS before start installing JJ's Hybrid Rom, but can you confirm this?) my thought is correct?

Best regards, and thanks for the reply.

nPingu

Jan 23, 2012
Verona
Yeah that's the thread!
I applied the patch but it works just fine as it is, even without it!
baseband should be no problem, the problem is combination rom/baseband and not baseband/network (dunno if I can explain myself, sorry about it).
In other words, if your phone is on ics .431 stock and you flash this, you'll get the same baseband and everything's gonna work out! :)

I unlocked my bootloader so I'm not familiar with that kind of install but it should be even easier.
Let me know if you need any help about it, I hope we are not going too much OT! :)

Happy to help!

Sulfulric

Sep 5, 2012
Yeah that's the thread!
baseband should be no problem, the problem is combination rom/baseband and not baseband/network (dunno if I can explain myself, sorry about it).
In other words, if your phone is on ics .431 stock and you flash this, you'll get the same baseband and everything's gonna work out! :)

I unlocked my bootloader so I'm not familiar with that kind of install but it should be even easier.
Let me know if you need any help about it, I hope we are not going too much OT! :)

Happy to help!

Nice :good:

i understand what you try to explain about baseband. no worry :)

dont know yet if i install this room by "unlocked bootloader" or "locked".:confused:
The Locked version have some vantages right? if i want to go to stock ics i can keep update the cellphne by Sony software. But im wondering, how many time the sony will update this phone? maybe not much,,because already listen someone say it will no get jellybean official update, so im really think in "unlock bootloader".

about the patch, how apply the pacth? right after instal the room, or reboot a couple of times them instal the patch?
by the way can you send me a link with the method to install it? dont want to mess with the room itself.

Thanks for all the support , really appreciate :):highfive:

nPingu

Jan 23, 2012
Verona
well,
I think this thread is the best if you need some guidance, I don't think I'd be better that this :p http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1653188

Anyway if you unlock your BL, I'd proceed like this afterwards:
-backup all the things you need to keep from your phone because you're gonna delete all the data!

-download Flashtool, install all the drivers inside the drivers folder after the install, launch it and try to get your phone in "fastboot mode" (click on the lightning and select fastboot, then pick the button that suites you better ;))

-download the kernel you chose and flash the img by pressing "flash kernel img" in the fastboot menu (you may need to flash wifi modules later, so download them and put them inside your sd card

-download the .zip file of the rom you chose and put it inside your sd card

-ALWAYS DISCONNECT YOUR PHONE FROM CABLE BEFORE YOU TURN IT ON, not always, but sometimes it makes android crash

-turn on your phone and keep pressing volume down till you get to recovery

-select "wipe data/factory reset", "wipe cache", go to "advanced" and select "wipe dalvik cache"

-select "install...." (second option in the main menu) and then install from sd card and pick the ROM file...

-after the flash is over, do the last step again and select the WIFI MODULES

-reboot to system, check if everything's working, if you want to apply the patch (in JJ's rom case) turn off your phone, get to recovery again and install the related zip...

Anyway I hope I'll not be held responsible if your phone is gonna explode, mine didn't! :angel:

Good luck!

Sulfulric

Sep 5, 2012
well,
I think this thread is the best if you need some guidance, I don't think I'd be better that this :p http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1653188

Anyway if you unlock your BL, I'd proceed like this afterwards:
-backup all the things you need to keep from your phone because you're gonna delete all the data!

-download Flashtool, install all the drivers inside the drivers folder after the install, launch it and try to get your phone in "fastboot mode" (click on the lightning and select fastboot, then pick the button that suites you better ;))

-download the kernel you chose and flash the img by pressing "flash kernel img" in the fastboot menu (you may need to flash wifi modules later, so download them and put them inside your sd card

-download the .zip file of the rom you chose and put it inside your sd card

-ALWAYS DISCONNECT YOUR PHONE FROM CABLE BEFORE YOU TURN IT ON, not always, but sometimes it makes android crash

-turn on your phone and keep pressing volume down till you get to recovery

-select "wipe data/factory reset", "wipe cache", go to "advanced" and select "wipe dalvik cache"

-select "install...." (second option in the main menu) and then install from sd card and pick the ROM file...

-after the flash is over, do the last step again and select the WIFI MODULES

-reboot to system, check if everything's working, if you want to apply the patch (in JJ's rom case) turn off your phone, get to recovery again and install the related zip...

Anyway I hope I'll not be held responsible if your phone is gonna explode, mine didn't! :angel:

Good luck!

Hi, once again THANKS for this mini tutorial:)
No worry you will not be responsible if my phone meltdown :p, i know flashing is always a little risky, but if something goes wrong most of the time only need to rooting again e flash it. (little chance of burning literally the phone, only if doing insane overclocks), beside i try the "locked bootloade" first so, i think is even easier to restore factor ICS if something bad happens.(hope not) :fingers-crossed:

-when you install the patch, you don't clean cache or something? just install?
-about the hifi modules, i should install it or only if my wifi not work?

in my work days i don't have time to do this procedure but in weakend i want apply this. Really lov the stock ICS look, not that changed version of sony (i mean, is pretty, but don't like) :p

Thanks for all the help.

nPingu

Jan 23, 2012
Verona
I didnt wipe cache or dalvik when I applied the patch... Wifi modules are linked with the kernel you choose, so if you dont flash them, wifi won't work...so "yes" is the answer in any case! ;) let me know if everything works out!

SXUsr

Jul 11, 2010
Here =)

iridaki

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
Questions go to Q&A.
Also most of your questions would be answered, had you taken the time to read through the forums and search.

iR¡D@k!* via Tapatalk 2

Sulfulric

Sep 5, 2012
I didnt wipe cache or dalvik when I applied the patch... Wifi modules are linked with the kernel you choose, so if you dont flash them, wifi won't work...so "yes" is the answer in any case! ;) let me know if everything works out!

Hi, o.k e see. :)

i tell you if everything works and my opinion about the room .
by the way, im thinking in root the phone before doing the rooming just to test something, remove bloatware on xperia. My friend speak about this http://www.unlockroot.com/, do you know if its work? because as far as i know we need to downgrade the ics 4.0.4 to 4.0.3 to apply the rooting.

have a nice day :), and thanks for your fast reply to all my doubts :)

Sulfulric

Sep 5, 2012
You should when flashing any new ROM because it rules out any issues that might a rise after installing.

Not needed, but there is a baseband for CM9 which is in the thread, up to you if you want to use it or not.

humm, i see, thanks for the clarification :)
can i ask you something subjective?

if i root the xperia ics stock room, and clean all bloatware, really i need a new room? i mean. it will be more stable? or what i will benefit from it?

Thanks, best regards

Sulfulric

Sep 5, 2012
Questions go to Q&A.
Also most of your questions would be answered, had you taken the time to read through the forums and search.

iR¡D@k!* via Tapatalk 2

hi,
Thanks for the orientation. I am new in this forums and really don't know yet how this works, beside, i search a lot for questions and i found some really interesting answers but the problem is, i have some specific questions and the threats about "Arc S" are overwhelming, (so much suggestions, feedback's, new versions, errors etc) i cant focus in my thinking line, and get more and more confused :/.
Next time ill make a threat if is really necessary o.k? :).

I need to thanks all the members in this one, for the quickly answers and clarifications.

nPingu

Jan 23, 2012
Verona
humm, i see, thanks for the clarification :)
can i ask you something subjective?

if i root the xperia ics stock room, and clean all bloatware, really i need a new room? i mean. it will be more stable? or what i will benefit from it?

Thanks, best regards

You'll have more system space, probably your phone will be smoother and stable.
Anyway, IMHO:
-change kernel if you're looking for performance improvement, overclocking/undervolting or some particular feature
-change rom if you find some features you'd like/need that are not inside the stock one or if you want to customize it.

Sulfulric

Sep 5, 2012
You'll have more system space, probably your phone will be smoother and stable.
Anyway, IMHO:
-change kernel if you're looking for performance improvement, overclocking/undervolting or some particular feature
-change rom if you find some features you'd like/need that are not inside the stock one or if you want to customize it.

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback
I first ill try rooting and after that maybe a new room, but i confess, i am a Little scarred, don't want to brick my phone :).
Speaking in root, do you have some thoughs about this? http://www.unlockroot.com/, to rooting the phone? (i am in ICS 4.0.4 - 4.1.B.0.431)

(this weakend i have played with the phone, photos, system, etc,, and this is a great phone for a single core, really fast, my fried have a galaxy S3 and the diference is not so much and the price is more them 2x more)

take care, and thanks for all the help and feedbacks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all!

Hi!

Install instructions:

4. Flash Rom
    5. OK!!
    4. Flash Rom
    5. OK!!

noob here too on arc s first time flashing,
    for kernel, can it be flash from cwm?
    noob here too on arc s first time flashing,
    for kernel, can it be flash from cwm?
    No, With FAStboot ONLY
    Yeah that's the thread!

Happy to help!