[PROGRAM] Heimdall - Cross-Platform Open-Source Flashing Software (1.0.0 Available)

Search This thread

oquinones

Jul 31, 2010
Orlando
Hey guys. I found this over in the I9000 forum. It's an alternative to Odin. For those of us who use Mac or don't have access to a Windows machine.

Link to program:
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/

Link to thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=755265

IMPORTANT: If you have a Heimdall alpha 5 or older do not run it.

What is Heimdall?
Heimdall is a cross-platform open-source utility to flash ROMs onto Samsung Galaxy S phones.

How does it work?
Heimdall uses the same protocol as Odin to interact with a device in download mode. USB communication in Heimdall is handled by the popular open-source USB library, libusb-1.0.

Why “Heimdall”?
The flashing software Odin is named after the king of gods in Norse mythology. Loke, the software component on the Galaxy S that provides functionality to flash, may also to be named after an important character in Norse mythology, often translated as Loki. As such I have named my flashing software Heimdall, after the Norse god, and guardian of the Bifrost Bridge.

What platforms does Heimdall run on?
Linux, OS X and Windows (XP, Vista, 7 etc.)

Why use Heimdall when we can use Odin?
Odin is generally unreliable and only runs on Windows systems. Furthermore, Odin is leaked Samsung software that is not freely available or well understood by the community.

Is Heimdall safe?
No matter what method you chose, flashing firmware onto your phone has a lot of potential for disaster. We have tested Heimdall with a variety of phones flashing several different firmware versions resulting in a 100% success rate. As such we believe that Heimdall is generally reliable. However keep in mind, just like any flashing software, Heimdall has the potential to brick your phone if not used correctly.

How do Galaxy S phones get bricked when flashing?
Besides the inherent risks like power outs, accidental removal of the USB cable etc. The Galaxy S appears to be running extremely unreliable USB control software.

A failure to flash does not automatically equate to a bricked phone. However if you're extremely unlucky and the flash fails whilst transferring the primary boot-loader, secondary boot-loader or params.lfs (all quite small) than you've got yourself a paper weight that you're hoping Samsung will replace.

Please be extremely careful mixing files from different firmware releases. Don't do so unless you're certain it will work!

What Galaxy S variants has Heimdall been tested with?
I've tested Heimdall with a Galaxy S GT-I9000 (8 GB) from the United Kingdom and Galaxy S GT-I9000 (16 GB) from Australia. I don't have access to any other devices to test with at present, but community members have confirmed it to also function correctly for the AT&T Captivate.

Enough talk, where can we get it?
The latest release is available here. Please read the instructions and README files included in the archives.

I love you, man. Will you have my baby?
No, but I will very gladly accept donations. If you appreciate my work and would like to support future development you can make a donation here. If you think you have something else to offer, then feel free to shoot me a PM or contact me via the contact form on the Glass Echidna website.

Last edited by a moderator:

krook6023

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 9, 2009
Midwest, USA
OnePlus 8
Edited title and first post to be more descriptive, it is true that this is already posted here @ XDA on another forum but I will keep this open in hopes that some Vibrant users find it valuable.

krook6023 (mod team)

JeremyNT

Jul 22, 2010
1. Download and install the libusb-1.0 v1.0.8 developer package, please refer to http://www.libusb.org/.

2. Open a terminal and navigate to the directory you extracted Heimdall to.

3. Type the following:

./configure
make
sudo make install

I haven't tested it yet, but presumably the Ubuntu package libusb-1.0-0-dev will satisfy this particular build dependency.

I'm really excited about this! I've been reluctant to run odin in a Windows VM, and having a native solution in Linux is a huge win.

oquinones

Jul 31, 2010
Orlando
I haven't tested it yet, but presumably the Ubuntu package libusb-1.0-0-dev will satisfy this particular build dependency.

I'm really excited about this! I've been reluctant to run odin in a Windows VM, and having a native solution in Linux is a huge win.

Yeah I had to Odin the new Froyo but I'm on a Mac and couldn't use Odin in Virtual Box. So I searched for alternatives and this is what I found. ;) I only wish that it would have a GUI so it would be easier to use but I will take what I can get.

rbirg

Jul 26, 2010
Have any of you guys actually tried using this?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

oquinones

Jul 31, 2010
Orlando
Have any of you guys actually tried using this?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

I used it on my Mac and it worked great. Got the unofficial Froyo from Eugene running on my Vibrant. I had to rename the md5 file downloaded to .tar and extract that and you will get the files needed to flash in Heimdall.

Keslynn

May 5, 2010
Dela-where?
1. Love the name.

2. I am so happy to be able to have a tool like this on my Mac. I am perfectly happy flashing everything through Clockwork, but it's really nice to be able to have a failsafe in case I brick or otherwise screw something up.

Thank you so much!

oka1

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 4, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Great find !

Great find !

Alot of my friends are mac losers I means users;) So ill forward this thread to them along with my comments:D

deez1234

Aug 24, 2010
Installed on Ubuntu...might give it a shot later on. I prefer Ubuntu over Windows anyway so I HOPE this works well. It is a little more complicated but I learn more and more about Linux and Android everyday!

./end short rant of useless info! ;)

dattaway

Jul 5, 2009
www.dattaway.net
Goodbye Odin! Hello Heimdall!

Nice that its done through the command line. If the USB port on our phones can be configured as a USB Host, then it would be possible to flash phone to phone... I believe the G1 can do that.

mentalex2

Aug 20, 2010
Poughkeepsie, NY
Thank you for posting this. Soft bricked just earlier today and had to go alllllllll the way to a friends to Odin back. Now I can flash from the safety of my own couch! Thanks again!!!

lqaddict

Jul 19, 2010
NYC
Yeah I had to Odin the new Froyo but I'm on a Mac and couldn't use Odin in Virtual Box. So I searched for alternatives and this is what I found. ;) I only wish that it would have a GUI so it would be easier to use but I will take what I can get.

Who needs a stinky GUI :p
Code:
heimdall 
Usage: heimdall <action> <arguments> ]
[--verbose] [--delay <ms>]

action: flash
arguments: --pit <filename> [--factoryfs <filename>] [--cache <filename>]
	[--dbdata <filename>] [--boot <filename>] [--secondary <filename>]
	[--param <filename>] [--kernel <filename>] [--modem <filename>]
description: Flashes firmware files to your phone.

Compiled fine under Ubuntu with libusb-1.0.8 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb/files/libusb-1.0/libusb-1.0.8/libusb-1.0.8.tar.bz2/download

HYE_TECH

Sep 22, 2010
Philadelphia
I used it on my Mac and it worked great. Got the unofficial Froyo from Eugene running on my Vibrant. I had to rename the md5 file downloaded to .tar and extract that and you will get the files needed to flash in Heimdall.

Hey man, I'm in desperate need. I'm new to all this and on a Mac. I'm happy that I bumped into this thread. I know what I'm doing for the most part but I never messed with ODIN. I recently flashed AOSPish 1.1 and then went back to AOSPish 1.0 I had backed up. My phone works but I can't seem to boot into recovery. I keep getting this error message

"E:Missing Bitmap Indeterminate1
(Code -7) and etc..."

It stays on that screen, I can't do anything. It practically took me an hour to figure out how to get the phone to reboot by pulling the battery with the phone plugged in, then inserting the battery back in after the screen blacks out. My phone is hardware lock so the 3 key method does not work. I rooted using One Click Root for Mac.

Please help....I love this ROM but I want to flash back to 1.1
Can you tell me how to use Heimdall since you flashed Eugenes so I can flash back to stock.

oquinones

Jul 31, 2010
Orlando
Hey man, I'm in desperate need. I'm new to all this and on a Mac. I'm happy that I bumped into this thread. I know what I'm doing for the most part but I never messed with ODIN. I recently flashed AOSPish 1.1 and then went back to AOSPish 1.0 I had backed up. My phone works but I can't seem to boot into recovery. I keep getting this error message

"E:Missing Bitmap Indeterminate1
(Code -7) and etc..."

It stays on that screen, I can't do anything. It practically took me an hour to figure out how to get the phone to reboot by pulling the battery with the phone plugged in, then inserting the battery back in after the screen blacks out. My phone is hardware lock so the 3 key method does not work. I rooted using One Click Root for Mac.

Please help....I love this ROM but I want to flash back to 1.1
Can you tell me how to use Heimdall since you flashed Eugenes so I can flash back to stock.

Do you know how to use adb? Try typing "adb reboot recovery" without the quotes and you should be in recovery.

If not, then I'll try and explain it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys. I found this over in the I9000 forum. It's an alternative to Odin. For those of us who use Mac or don't have access to a Windows machine.

Link to program:
    http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/

Link to thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=755265

IMPORTANT: If you have a Heimdall alpha 5 or older do not run it.

What is Heimdall?
    Heimdall is a cross-platform open-source utility to flash ROMs onto Samsung Galaxy S phones.

How does it work?
    Heimdall uses the same protocol as Odin to interact with a device in download mode. USB communication in Heimdall is handled by the popular open-source USB library, libusb-1.0.

Why “Heimdall”?
    The flashing software Odin is named after the king of gods in Norse mythology. Loke, the software component on the Galaxy S that provides functionality to flash, may also to be named after an important character in Norse mythology, often translated as Loki. As such I have named my flashing software Heimdall, after the Norse god, and guardian of the Bifrost Bridge.

What platforms does Heimdall run on?
    Linux, OS X and Windows (XP, Vista, 7 etc.)

Why use Heimdall when we can use Odin?
    Odin is generally unreliable and only runs on Windows systems. Furthermore, Odin is leaked Samsung software that is not freely available or well understood by the community.

Is Heimdall safe?
    No matter what method you chose, flashing firmware onto your phone has a lot of potential for disaster. We have tested Heimdall with a variety of phones flashing several different firmware versions resulting in a 100% success rate. As such we believe that Heimdall is generally reliable. However keep in mind, just like any flashing software, Heimdall has the potential to brick your phone if not used correctly.

How do Galaxy S phones get bricked when flashing?
    Besides the inherent risks like power outs, accidental removal of the USB cable etc. The Galaxy S appears to be running extremely unreliable USB control software.

A failure to flash does not automatically equate to a bricked phone. However if you're extremely unlucky and the flash fails whilst transferring the primary boot-loader, secondary boot-loader or params.lfs (all quite small) than you've got yourself a paper weight that you're hoping Samsung will replace.

Please be extremely careful mixing files from different firmware releases. Don't do so unless you're certain it will work!

What Galaxy S variants has Heimdall been tested with?
    I've tested Heimdall with a Galaxy S GT-I9000 (8 GB) from the United Kingdom and Galaxy S GT-I9000 (16 GB) from Australia. I don't have access to any other devices to test with at present, but community members have confirmed it to also function correctly for the AT&T Captivate.

Enough talk, where can we get it?
    The latest release is available here. Please read the instructions and README files included in the archives.

I love you, man. Will you have my baby?
    No, but I will very gladly accept donations. If you appreciate my work and would like to support future development you can make a donation here. If you think you have something else to offer, then feel free to shoot me a PM or contact me via the contact form on the Glass Echidna website.
    The dev has started a post that lists firmwares with the updated secondary bootloader that will allow Heimdall to recognize your device on OS X. If you are running OS X and using Heimdall, could you please help contribute to this list? I have OS X and tried Heimdall but it wouldn't recognize my phone. It would help more than a few of us out if OS X/Vibrant users chimed in with a combo that works.

Please post in this thread. Thank you!