[05-JAN][FIX] GPS on Gingerbread :)

Search This thread

hefelfury

Nov 27, 2008
Everything is working nicely now! Thanks scotsman and others to help get this working!
Just to clarify, I will nicely display the steps.
1) Take the two files from the gps fix and put them on the root of your sd card (or wherever is easier to locate for you).
2) use Root Explorer to copy these files to their respective destinations
2.5) libgps.so goes to system/lib/ and gps.bravo.so goes to system/lib/hw/
3) go into your system/etc folder and edit the gps.conf file to whatever your gps zone that is closest to you is.
4) chmod 777 the two files by long pressing the files, selecting permissions and ticking all boxes.
5) I rebooted and voila, it works!

Last edited:

mmduluth

Jun 1, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Everything is working nicely now! Thanks scotsman and others to help get this working!
1) Take the two files from the gps fix and put them on the root of your sd card (or wherever is easier to locate for you).
3) go into your system/etc folder and edit the gps.conf file to whatever your gps zone that is closest to you is.
4) chmod 777 the two files by long pressing the files, selecting permissions and ticking all boxes.

Can you change permissions before moving them to their respective folders? Just sounds like it might be a little easier to me.

hefelfury

Nov 27, 2008
Can you change permissions before moving them to their respective folders? Just sounds like it might be a little easier to me.

I don't see why not. The files should keep their permissions when you move them. Also, the MDJ gingerbread thread has a copy of the_scotsman's instructions posted and it seems to be working for everyone.

NYGraFFit1

Dec 12, 2009
Queens
www.youtube.com

i see something named "XTRA_SERVER_" so i place the remaining servers in their place or leave them as is?

Which to use? "0.north-america.pool.ntp.org" or "us.pool.ntp.org"

Last edited:

hefelfury

Nov 27, 2008
Nooo i was waiting for the answer lol. I to wanna know if i have to get rid of those lines or just put the info above it.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App

The only line I edited was for NTP server, which was set for Europe and I changed it to "0.us.pool.ntp.org" for United States. Hope that answered your question.

NYGraFFit1

Dec 12, 2009
Queens
www.youtube.com
Nooo i was waiting for the answer lol. I to wanna know if i have to get rid of those lines or just put the info above it.

lol sorry bro, i used "0.north-america.pool.ntp.org" if it helps. it took me a reset and waiting about 5 mins for GPS to kick in after pressing the GPS button in Google Maps for it to find me. Hope i helped bro.

EDIT: i left the rest "XTRA" lines untouched.

NYGraFFit1

Dec 12, 2009
Queens
www.youtube.com

Someone should place this in the OP.

Pens and DreamS

May 10, 2010
lol sorry bro, i used "0.north-america.pool.ntp.org" if it helps. it took me a reset and waiting about 5 mins for GPS to kick in after pressing the GPS button in Google Maps for it to find me. Hope i helped bro.

EDIT: i left the rest "XTRA" lines untouched.

Lol i added o.us 1.us 2.us 3.us. thank u

2000impreza

Apr 10, 2010
Calgary

Changing the permissions (step 4) isn't needed for the gps files. I'm not sure why people are doing this.

markmarkr

Aug 9, 2010
For what it's worth, I think the problem is that when you adb push the files they end up owned by root, while all the other files in those dirs are owned by system. So chowning them to system will probably work instead of chmodding them 777.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

just a quick thread to inform you that i have just fixed GPS on Gingerbread in a nightly coding excess. I tested it on CM7 and it works.
    Replace the files in your ROM with the respective ones in this tar archive :)

Download

cheers
    I've been playing with GPS status aswell. With the current roms, you get a fix which is not updated every second and GPS status does not show satelites.

As I was trying to port my own ROM, i had a every second fix and GPS status showing satelites while messing with AdamG's Oxygen v2.0 RC6.

Rafpinga beat me to it by getting Oxygen ported correctly, however using my port files on his build gives me the same results. I'm now able to get a satisfying fix to use with google navigation. It's jumpy here and there but in my opinion way more usable then current GPS status.

Before trying the files attached, Please rename or backup your current files!!
    I have set permission to 777 on all files using Root explorer. Let me know if it works for you!

regards,

ps. I have it working using the files attached (ie gps.htcleo.so). You need to validate if this works for you, or try rename to gps.bravo.so
    converted gps fix to CWM package

For those who use ClockworkMod Recovery, i made a CWM zip file from the normal zip.
    It copys the files with the right filenames and change the permissions to sufficiant ones.

Please be aware, that i am not responsible for an damage on your phone, but for me this fix and this package works awsome! :D

Thanks Diem!
    Great to hear it's working for you guys!
    Ginger with workable GPS feels so much complete :cool:

Regards,
    Diem
    (Thanks to all who clicked the "Thanks button"! :D)
    Step by step gingerbread new real gps fix

1) Download the new files from here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10636518&postcount=125
    2) Get RootExplorer app or any file manager with root access support
    3) Copy libgps.so to /system/lib and overwrite the original. Tap and hold it and set the permissions to full 777. Tap R/W on tap if system is R/O (read only)
    4) Copy gps.htcleo.so and sensors.bravo.so to /system/lib/hw. Tap and hold those files and set the permissions to full 777. (IF you have gps.bravo.so file in your build, rename gps.htcleo.so to match it to your build and overwrite)
    5) Reboot, make sure gps is enabled from settings - location OR power control widget before you reboot.
    Go outside, launch a gps app. (gps status, google maps or motonav, navigon sygic etc) and wait for gps fix. It would take between 10 to 60 seconds on average. You should see satellite info in gps status app after gps gets a fix. It should update your location every second. It should no longer reset compass to north every few seconds. Your nav software should be working properly now.

This fixes the gps fix loss/no sat info problem of gauner1986 libs and is provided on page 13 and 14. Check posts from Diem and Baco.
    Now you get satellite info in gingerbread and location is updated every second without resets to north. Don't forget to check file name and permissions.

Alternative way to update the files via ClockWorkMod (CWM)
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10643150&postcount=137

Note: 777 permission means tap and hold the file in root explorer and tap permissions. check all the available permissions. It should say rwxrwxrwx (which is equal to 777)
    Some builds have different filenames for the same file, rename accordingly, be sure you overwrite the original. (Remember to always backup any file you replace beforehand)

The only remaining issue is, gps status says agps info will be downloaded as soon as there is data connection. But there IS data connection and it used to say, agps info downloaded.

This fix is already included in mdeejays cm7 gingerbread v2.5

(Gauner1986, can you update the first post?)