Intermittent microphone problem on Sense 6

Search This thread

BuffMcBigHuge

May 31, 2012
Canada
It appears that some of us have been dealing with a very annoying issue with the mic not working in calls, Google Now, video recording, or any other voice based service (utter!, etc.). Oddly enough, it works fine, and then suddenly stops working completely until a reboot.

No errors appear, or popups, it just doesn't work, as if the microphone hardware is not even attached. It is certainly a software issue, but not too sure what is causing it. There is another older thread that covers microphone problems, but is not related to this new issue caused by something wrong in Sense 6.

Temp fix 1: Boot the phone into safe mode.
Temp fix 2: Reboot, but not guaranteed to work for very long.

If we all share our settings, we might be able to pinpoint what is causing this issue.

- ViperOne 6.1
- ElementalX 14.1
- TWRP 2.6.3.3
- Radio 4A.25.3263.21_10.38x.1157.04L
- ProjectERA v15.2
- Viperdark 6.1.1
- Launcher: Google Experience
- Xposed with a few modules *Ruled Out*

EDIT: I think I figured it out. It is the caused by the IntenseBlast addon in ProjectEra. Flashing this should fix your issue: IntenseBLAST_UNINSTALL.zip.

I will test this out for a few days and see if the problem persists after uninstalling IntenseBlast.

EDIT 2: I reflashed IntenseBlast to test my luck, and... my mic seems to be working fine. I'm guessing now that countless reboots fixed the issue, and it was simply a coincidence that the time I uninstalled IntenseBlast... the microphone decided to work. As of now, there is no known solution, but you can try rebooting your device a few times.

EDIT 3: A full factory reset and reflash solved my problem completely.

EDIT 4: The problem was discovered to be Project ERA. However, v18 is said to fix the issue, so try that build than any older release.

Last edited:

myrigon

May 30, 2013
Okay, I've only had the issue on ViperOne 6.x.x, and always had ERA, and Kangaroo kernel. Twrp 2.7.0.0. No xposed.
I know they changed the mics in later m7 builds. Would this be related?

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: BuffMcBigHuge

BuffMcBigHuge

May 31, 2012
Canada
Okay, I've only had the issue on ViperOne 6.x.x, and always had ERA, and Kangaroo kernel. Twrp 2.7.0.0. No xposed.

Agreed. I updated my OP. I believe ERA is conflicting with Sense 6, more specifically, the IntenseBlast addon.

myrigon

May 30, 2013
Agreed. I updated my OP. I believe ERA is conflicting with Sense 6, more specifically, the IntenseBlast addon.

Not entirely sure that's it, as I had the issue both with and without intense blast, and on different versions of ERA, which didn't cause issues on other ROMs, or earlier ViperOne releases.

ghostryder12

Jun 26, 2009
Northern California
Has this issue been spoken about in the Viper M8 thread? I ask because since with our M7 devices and the Sense 6 is a port, could this be causing the spotty mic problems?
I have not been subject to this issue... Yet.
As far as some people not being affected at all and others may be a combination of the port and assembly plants. HTC had assembly plants in different countries and the parts come from different manufacturers.
I'm glad you started this thread cuz I'd like to find the answer & help other users too.

(I'm not a dev, just a user passing forward what I've learned)

myrigon

May 30, 2013
Has this issue been spoken about in the Viper M8 thread? I ask because since with our M7 devices and the Sense 6 is a port, could this be causing the spotty mic problems?
As far as some people not being affected at all and others may be a combination of the port and assembly plants. HTC had assembly plants in different countries and the parts come from different manufacturers.

I wonder if it might be related to the microphones, as htc only used the super good hdr microphones on the earlier builds, and switched to an inferior type after.

BuffMcBigHuge

May 31, 2012
Canada
Not entirely sure that's it, as I had the issue both with and without intense blast, and on different versions of ERA, which didn't cause issues on other ROMs, or earlier ViperOne releases.

I'm assuming that the requirements for the spotty microphone are a Sense 6-based ROM (i.e. ViperOne 6.x) and IntenseBlast installed. Could also be related to the microphone hardware.

There are also a few levels of IntenseBlast, I believe the Maximium and Ultimate Edition are the culprits, since the original edition has been shown to work. I'm guessing (I'm no dev, just a tester), that the addon disables the microphone due to power requirements to the speakers. Undervolting wouldn't help, but could be certainly related a short or cut off of power to the microphone hardware. That is why a reboot temporarily fixes the issue until it starts again. The mic seems to work fine by booting into SafeMode, further demonstrating how a mod on boot is causing the issue. However, I'm not entirely sure how IntenseBlast works, but I'm sure it contains a boot level script that doesn't run in SafeMode.

All I know is that uninstalling it fixed my problem so far. If I get it back, I would be sure to update this thread. Thanks for the insight everyone.

Edit: I tried out my luck and reflashed IntenseBlast Maximum edition... and my mic seems to be working fine. Seems that uninstalling it the first time coincidentally caused my microphone to work fine after reboot. I guess we can rule out IntenseBlast... and say that this problem is completely random... and is fully restored by rebooting the device countless times... until it cuts out again.

Last edited:
Reactions: myrigon

rockwentz

Apr 27, 2014
Have you found a solution?

I'm having the same issue and it's really driving me crazy.
Is it possible that the problem is caused by HTC Speak mod from Venom team?

myrigon

May 30, 2013
Have you found a solution?

I'm having the same issue and it's really driving me crazy.
Is it possible that the problem is caused by HTC Speak mod from Venom team?

Not currently.

It won't be the speak mod, as I don't use it, and had the issue.

Nightf0x_007

Nov 5, 2012
I went ahead, backed up my user apps with titanium backup, wiped my data, and reflashed ViperOne 6.1. Haven't seen the problem since.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

i have the same settings as your's in the 1st post , im suffering now from this issue but what i noticed in my phone is that when i reboot the mic works as i open voice recorder and record and it works but when i use any app which access the mic like phone , viber the mic stops working

BuffMcBigHuge

May 31, 2012
Canada
i have the same settings as your's in the 1st post , im suffering now from this issue but what i noticed in my phone is that when i reboot the mic works as i open voice recorder and record and it works but when i use any app which access the mic like phone , viber the mic stops working

Yes, that seemed to be the issue. When using the mic for the first time in any app that requires it, it works, but then any subsequent apps will not be able to access the mic thereafter.

A full factory reset and reflash is suitable to fix the issue. Did you dirty flash from 5.8.0?

Nightf0x_007

Nov 5, 2012
Yes, that seemed to be the issue. When using the mic for the first time in any app that requires it, it works, but then any subsequent apps will not be able to access the mic thereafter.

A full factory reset and reflash is suitable to fix the issue. Did you dirty flash from 5.8.0?

no i wiped system and data partitions , then clean installed 6.1

Nightf0x_007

Nov 5, 2012

reflashed rom , restored my apps and mods again this issue appeared i have feeling it is concerned with either xposed modules or the kernel

now wiping and reinstalling again for the 2nd time

rockwentz

Apr 27, 2014
Reflashed rom and the mic is working properly for a week so far.

Perhaps the problem is from Project era; because I only flashed it along with IntenseBlast and HTC speak when I had the problem.

Nightf0x_007

Nov 5, 2012
yes , i confirm it now zeroinfinity project era soundmod is causing this problem at least on my phone
wiped my device , reinstalled rom, kernel, mods, app, xposed mods., all have no issues but last thing i flashed is the soundmod which caused my mic to stop working , hopefully just before i flashed the soundmod i backed up my device just restored and everything now works

i will inform zeroinfinity cause i really need his soundmod:fingers-crossed:

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
gravitybox , subsense of elementalx kernel , ice cube of ice cave xperia apps mod , halo floating window , fix for halo floating window , mutliwindow sidebar , sense 6 toolbox , expanded notifications + few other modules but not enabled

yes , i confirm it now zeroinfinity project era soundmod is causing this problem at least on my phone
wiped my device , reinstalled rom, kernel, mods, app, xposed mods., all have no issues but last thing i flashed is the soundmod which caused my mic to stop working , hopefully just before i flashed the soundmod i backed up my device just restored and everything now works

Holy S*** ... you have a Frankenstein phone ...how do you ever figure it out when things aren't working

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm glad you started this thread cuz I'd like to find the answer & help other users too.

I wonder if it might be related to the microphones, as htc only used the super good hdr microphones on the earlier builds, and switched to an inferior type after.