Vpn on NST glow g1

Search This thread

Nova5

Dec 30, 2008
Is it possible to connect to a.vpn on a rooted NST glow gen1?

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nova5

Dec 30, 2008
stupid autocorrecting keyboard.. Instead WAS supposed to be NST. And with the Glow Gen1 added on... ;)

Nook Simple Touch Glow (First generation with the SD card)

And now of course long after it was rooted it had some hard crash when I picked a "com.android.settings" entry from Nook Tools (I think that where I saw it) that has messed it up. It did a factory reset on its own from the crash. Now it won't go past "Registering your device". Been rooted for about a year.

OverByter

Nov 1, 2010
West Haven
Try resetting it by holding both bottom page turn buttons while powering it on, much easier way to factory reset than the 8 failed boot attempts. :D If that doesn't work why can't you just boot into cwm and restore a nandroid? Yeah as many of us can attest, read and re-read the thread on what actually works properly with nook color tools. :banghead:
OB

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Nova5

Dec 30, 2008
Button command to get it into CWM during boot?

I did the forced factory reset last night. same hang point.

OverByter

Nov 1, 2010
West Haven
Did you copy the cwm image to a micro SD and make a nandroid after rooting? Most people just leave it on the card, you just insert it and power up into recovery, really not much need to actually replace the stock recovery. If you don't have that did you make a backup with nook manager before rooting?
OB

Nova5

Dec 30, 2008
Did you copy the cwm image to a micro SD and make a nandroid after rooting? Most people just leave it on the card, you just insert it and power up into recovery, really not much need to actually replace the stock recovery. If you don't have that did you make a backup with nook manager before rooting?
OB

I had to clear the card because I use it for the book storage media.

OverByter

Nov 1, 2010
West Haven
I had to clear the card because I use it for the book storage media.

That's unfortunate, I kept the 2GB card with Nook manager and the gapps package along with the virgin system backup so I can go back to completely stock by just booting from the card and restoring the original image, use an 8 GB card with cwm and numerous nandroids to roll back to for when I run into problems with apps or settings without having to unroot, and then the 32 GB for storage. After you rooted did you make a backup and transfer it to your pc before wiping the card?
OB

Nova5

Dec 30, 2008
By this time it probably got dumped on a clean up of the drives as its been running stable.

N

NOOK!E

why are you asking me? I am trying to reroot and see if that patches whatever wigged out but that didn't seem to help. I can call up button savior but its ineffective right now. the B'n'N setup wizard stays on screen.

Have you tried booting with NookManager and doing a factory reset from there?

If not, I'd try that.

Nova5

Dec 30, 2008
Have you tried booting with NookManager and doing a factory reset from there?

If not, I'd try that.

Thanks! NookManager's factory image restore vs the Nooks own Factory Reset did it. I was missing a few graphical elements I had not noticed. No decline on the T'n'C, no numbers in the upper right corner.

Now to reroot and see to the original post reason...

VPN.. Is it possible?

I have to experiment with my phone being the intermediary. It'll be a hotspot and it can tie to my VPN. Maybe the phone connecting to the VPN and hosting a hotspot will let it slip through that way. Dunno. If I can get the nook to do VPN directly that would be better.

N

NOOK!E

Thanks! NookManager's factory image restore vs the Nooks own Factory Reset did it. I was missing a few graphical elements I had not noticed. No decline on the T'n'C, no numbers in the upper right corner.

Now to reroot and see to the original post reason...

VPN.. Is it possible?

I have to experiment with my phone being the intermediary. It'll be a hotspot and it can tie to my VPN. Maybe the phone connecting to the VPN and hosting a hotspot will let it slip through that way. Dunno. If I can get the nook to do VPN directly that would be better.

Glad it worked! Could I get a post thank for that?

BTW, don't forget to re-update your software to 1.2.1 before rooting again (because the reset brought it back to 1.1.5).

I'll do some research/testing on the actual VPN issue. I don't know much about it.

Nova5

Dec 30, 2008
I don't recall if android 2.1 had VPN natively or not. Most the VPN apps I see connect to a specific services. I need to connect to my own. I need to poke around later to see what I find.

Ginger protected soul - Tapatalk

Nova5

Dec 30, 2008
I have a habit of rating apps that beg for reviews with one star, regardless of how good the app is..

Nova5

Dec 30, 2008
Okay, we'll running VPN on the phone and running a hotspot on the phone did not work. Phones software isn't built to work that way. Digging through the digital ether I go for a VPN software package that'll work on the nook.

Nova5

Dec 30, 2008
"Vpn menu" did not work. It is supposed to bring up the built in menu, since it doesn't I have to guess that was removed from the nook and the root package glownooter did not reinstall it. Had hoped it was just hidden away and vpn menu would access it.

Nova5

Dec 30, 2008
FEATVPN reports that L2TP is not properly implemented on the device and it won't work at all. Rooted Anyconnect from Cisco just drops back to the desktop as it were when run. VPN seems crippled on the nook. Oh well.. looks like a no go via the nook.