Air Video video transcode/stream alternative for Android?

Search This thread

speedweed

Jul 22, 2010
I used to have the iphone 3gs, but now i have a Samsung Galaxy with Android 2.1.

I had a great program called Air Video, it was so great, i almost chose not to upgrade to android cause it wasnt on the Andriod platform.

You installed a client on the phone, and a transcode server software on your pc, and then the magic began, you could stream any kind of video format straight from your PC to your phone in realtime. It supported mkv, divx and a whole lot of other formats. I could even stream video from my satelite tuner straight to my phone with this software. It was totaly mindblowing, and it worked both on 3g and over wifi, you just adjusted the quality of the stream in the client program on the phone. I could lay in bed, and watch my whole video archive straight from my pc on my phone, i could watch it from work and anywhere with 3g coverage.

The great thing about this program, was that everything was on the fly, and went automaticly, you didnt have to convert EVERY video file to mp4 (or simular) before you started streaming.

Now im wondering, is there a good alternative(program or guide), that will work the same way on android phones?

PS Ive tried Orb, and it couldnt realy compete, at all :eek:

jatilq

Oct 19, 2007
I been talking with the developer of Mezzmo who working on his server app to support the Droid X, but I believe that is one of the few apps thats trying to work on something. I miss airvideo myself, his forum is filled with people begging for him to port it to android. I'm hoping Froyo will allow me to use either Mezzmo (he recently said that the phone is looking for the moov atom at the front instead of the end like how ffmpeg puts it. I downloaded a adobe air app to move it and still no luck streaming.

Airmote doesnt work
Using ES Explorer to connect to samba shares would be cool if I could figure out how to get a1video player to play the streamed file (but since the moov atom is at the end it would have to download the entire clip to view it first)

umediaplayer I can't find to test out, that or homepipe

Orblive is a joke on Android.

Tried Tversity to android reading a way to use the webpage frontend, but same streaming issue.

Only thing sucks as of now is the fact there is no real streaming from PC option that works well for the array of video types out there like airvideo.

jatilq

Oct 19, 2007
I did find something interesting even though it only streamed a couple avi files. I loaded yxplay and pointed it to TVersity 192.168.1.101:41952.

speedweed

Jul 22, 2010
I have the samsung galaxy s, and i heard that Samsung PC Share Manager + Allshare on the phone, would make streaming mkv from my pc easy.

I hurried up, and installed Samsung PC Share Manager, and got the error, "Server can`t start"

Another great piece of samsung software, almost as good as Kies :(
(Wich btw also doesnt work on my win7 64bit, no matter what i try)

I even tried Samsung Pc Share Manager on a Vista 32 box, same error there. Can`t start server.

Oh how i love Samsung software.

Zsparks

Oct 7, 2007
Try VLC

You can use VLC to transcode from a capture device, another stream, or media files.

I've used a Windows Media Server for years with my Windows Mobile Touch Pro (and its WiMo predecessors). I stream my police scanner, TV and music files but there's no working Android player. I left my WMS as is but run VLC on a workstation, taking the WMS stream and transcoding it to RTSP for the Android. It works just fine.

gthing

Feb 13, 2007
SL,UT
I suspect that this would be very difficult if not impossible to do on Android right now. Streaming support just isn't up to par within the core OS.

rmrector

Apr 26, 2008
Denver, CO
Try VLC Stream and Convert. (Developer's website)

It's not exactly simple or user-friendly, but it works wonderfully to transcode and stream any video (or audio) file on demand from my server to my Nexus One.

The server software is VLC, which is a cross-platform application and works on Linux, Windows, and Mac OSX.

There is a free as well as a paid version in the market. The free version transcodes and streams without a problem.

I just have it set up to work over wifi, but it should work over 3g as well, if you adjust the quality down a bit.

VLC Stream and Convert

chart

Powder79

May 7, 2010
Try VLC Stream and Convert. (Developer's website)

It's not exactly simple or user-friendly, but it works wonderfully to transcode and stream any video (or audio) file on demand from my server to my Nexus One.

The server software is VLC, which is a cross-platform application and works on Linux, Windows, and Mac OSX.

There is a free as well as a paid version in the market. The free version transcodes and streams without a problem.

I just have it set up to work over wifi, but it should work over 3g as well, if you adjust the quality down a bit.

VLC Stream and Convert

chart

Sounds like a wonderfull app.
Can you share the settings on VLC to get the transcoding to work?
The app is not really user friendly on this aspect
Thanks

speedweed

Jul 22, 2010
Sounds like a wonderfull app.
Can you share the settings on VLC to get the transcoding to work?
The app is not really user friendly on this aspect
Thanks

Please do........

A small guide perhaps? :)

So you can choose wich files to stream from the pc from the phone? Or do you have to start a video file in vlc to able to stream to android?

Edit:
I used the setup from here: http://sites.google.com/site/traveldevel/vlc-stream-convert/setup
And i was able to stream video via rtsp, the quality wasnt great but good enough, this is definatly a step forward :)

Edit2: Quality could be adjusted, and it looks great over wifi now, im so happy ;)

Last edited:

rmrector

Apr 26, 2008
Denver, CO
For just 'Audio Files', I have the Audio bitrate set to 128, 'Fake video' unchecked, and 'Keep stream open' unchecked. I haven't used that very often, so I can't vouch for the quality.

But under 'Video Files', I have the 'Audio bitrate' set to 96, and 'Synchronize on audio' checked. It sounds pretty good to me.

These are both under 'Stream rtsp' in settings, not the 'Stream http', as I don't use the HTTP streaming at all.

XaeroDegreaz

Jan 22, 2010
Thank you so much for this. I have been looking everywhere and this is exactly what I was looking for. I wish I knew about VLC's streaming capabilities a long time ago; I've been using VLC for years lol.

Now, I need to work out how to create a VLC library.

lucxxx

Mar 3, 2009
Hello,

I dont know if you find the right solution, but you can look at "vdr" and "vdr client for android". It is a server cient streaming solution.

suomaf

my problem with vlc stream and convert it connects to my ubuntu 10.04 and vlc 1.0.6 and when I click stream via http the sound would come through and its perfect for streaming mp3. If I were to stream movies this way.. only the sound comes thru and not the video part.

If I were to stream through rtsp, the phone would stall on buffering.... and on the command line is

Code:
[0x8cd1568] main stream out error: socket bind error (Permission denied)
[0x8cd1568] main stream out error: cannot create socket(s) for HTTP host
[0x8cd1568] stream_out_rtp stream out error: cannot export SDP as RTSP

I tried posting to see if anyone could help but no replies yet. All share is great but its limited in the file types that it can play.. Have not found something that is similar to Air video as yet but if VLC stream and convert can be figured out that it would be just about perfect.

OnSterrDroids

Sep 2, 2010
After some trial and error, I finally got vlc S&C to work properly on both WiFi and 3g. I have been able to watch good quality movies. It has been able to transcode all video formats I've thrown at it.

Although the dev states to use rtsp ports 554 or 5554, they only work on WiFi for me. I think the stream is trying to use a variable port selection and I am not opening my router for all ports. Also, my home ISP (Comcast) blocks certain ports (including 554). For my rtsp port selection I use 8081 and it worked like a charm. hope this helps

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have you had a look at Websharing?
    mirage beta

I am also in love with air video. I've been using it to watch a lot of movies from my iPad. I recently bought galaxy tab and have been searching around for apps that is similar to air video.

You still need airvideo server on your pc or mac. Download apps from the market called mirage beta by JC. This app can be used as client to your air video server. You can watch video streaming now on your android devices...one problem though..it cannot play mkv file smoothly..I hope it is in progress since it is still in beta version.

Hope this helps.