Remote share feature

Search This thread

Diamondback

Retired Dev Committee Lead / Retired Senior Mod
Jan 17, 2010
virtuous-ten-studio.com
I am not sure if this is something entirely new but the X2 tablet has a feature to mount remote shares (windows and sftp) directly via the Sony firmware. It's located at the bottom of the storage settings.
Seems like a nice thing but I can't get it to work, the Host field doesn't let me enter anything useful (no slashes and no dots)...
Does anyone know how to get this to work?

Reactions: hasenbein1966

bbarou

Jul 27, 2010
I didn't even see this fonction. And I've been thinking for some time now that this should be built into Android but Google won't do it because they want you tu use their service for storage.

This is awesome! I mean would be awesome if I could get it to work.

Apparently there's no need for slashes and you need to put a host name it does not work with IP addresses.
But for some reason authentication always fail I get the same message whatever I try:
Could not connect to xxx the supplied credentials could not be authenticated . Please make sure the username, password and domain are correct.

And of course the info is correct, I know it connects cause it show the IP address of the box in the message when I only entered the host name.

EDIT: I got it to work, Just need to click save between change, I didn't see the button. And in facts it works with IP addresses, the first time i put a IP it's said " no invalid characters allowed" but it works now and it connects.

No need for slashes, domain is optional

It is actually AWESOME!

Last edited:

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
Er...

Is it really MOUNTING?

Mounting would mean: The remote directory is really mounted into the local file system of the tablet and accessible in an Android file explorer under, say, /mnt/network or something like that.
(Into which directory is a SMB share mounted when this new feature is used?)

Or is it just a SMB access like in ES File Explorer?

Diamondback

Retired Dev Committee Lead / Retired Senior Mod
Jan 17, 2010
virtuous-ten-studio.com
Okay, now I understood how this is supposed to work. A weird german translation misled me to wanting to enter the full share path in the host field, but ONLY the host name belongs there. The field after that one is for the actual share path. (weird german description there)

It's working as intended now, and it's pretty cool :)

bbarou

Jul 27, 2010
Er...

Is it really MOUNTING?

Mounting would mean: The remote directory is really mounted into the local file system of the tablet and accessible in an Android file explorer under, say, /mnt/network or something like that.
(Into which directory is a SMB share mounted when this new feature is used?)

Or is it just a SMB access like in ES File Explorer?

That's exactly what it sounds like: MOUNTING. and that's why it's PERFECT!

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
Further questions:

1) Is the mounting "robust", i.e., are no strange things happening if the device with the mounted remote share is turned off, the WiFi goes off or something like that?

2) What is the exact mount point? Is it always the same pre-defined one? Or is it user-definable?

3) Could one of you post the contents of the file /proc/filesystems so that we can see which filesystems are exactly implemented/supported in the Tablet Z2?

Thanks!

bbarou

Jul 27, 2010
Further questions:

1) Is the mounting "robust", i.e., are no strange things happening if the device with the mounted remote share is turned off, the WiFi goes off or something like that?

2) What is the exact mount point? Is it always the same pre-defined one? Or is it user-definable?

3) Could one of you post the contents of the file /proc/filesystems so that we can see which filesystems are exactly implemented/supported in the Tablet Z2?

Thanks!

You can have several shares and select the name of the mount point. The base mount point is /storage/remote.

Here's the list:
nodev sysfs
nodev rootfs
nodev bdev
nodev proc
nodev cgroup
nodev tmpfs
nodev debugfs
nodev securityfs
nodev sockfs
nodev pipefs
nodev anon_inodefs
nodev devpts
ext3
ext2
ext4
nodev ramfs
vfat
nodev ecryptfs
nodev cifs
fuseblk
nodev fuse
nodev fusectl
nodev selinuxfs
nodev oprofilefs
texfat

I can't locate any cifs module in the filesystem and there's none either in lsmod. Looks like it built into the kernel.

HarpingOn

Oct 20, 2010
It is a tremendous feature. I'm going to start using it on my phone too (Z1)

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
Interesting: As long as CIFS was only available with few custom kernels or, with much luck, as a module someone had compiled, the feature was more and more deprecated. "What? You want CIFS mount? Superfluous, there are much better solutions."

And now, as a manufacturer officially incorporates it, suddenly overnight it is the hottest thing...

ouzel

Feb 28, 2011
Remore shares on Sony Z2

I seem to be getting having trouble getting this to work :(
Please could some kind soul give us an exact example (line by line, suitably anonymised) of the remote share configuration entry details ?

Thanks !

Abettor

Nov 21, 2011
hot to enable route's HDD for share?

Same issue, as i am trying to get my router's connected HDD as remote share. Till now no any solution :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am not sure if this is something entirely new but the X2 tablet has a feature to mount remote shares (windows and sftp) directly via the Sony firmware. It's located at the bottom of the storage settings.
    Seems like a nice thing but I can't get it to work, the Host field doesn't let me enter anything useful (no slashes and no dots)...
    Does anyone know how to get this to work?