Ut oh!

Search This thread

Nopcodex90

Jun 1, 2011
Philadelphia
www.burnssecurity.zzl.org
It only affects the Roms that Samsung directly influenced and only their browsers. The best way to handle this as of right now, if rooted is to install Chrome ( which is not affected ) or FireFox. Then connect to your phone via ADB ( after installing the android sdk ) , remount the system partition via

# mount -o remount,rw /dev/null /system

CD into /system/app

either delete or rename the SecBrowser_ATT.apk, I moved it to SecBrowser_ATT.bak to make sure I still had it, and that it wouldn't start up.

From what I understand the CM10, Miui and CM9 Browsers are OK due to not having anything to do with the TouchWiz framework.

IF you are not rooted, you can still install Chrome or Firefox, make sure its your "Default" browser and go into Settings-> Application Manager -> find SecBrowser aka stock browser and force stop it and then disable it. I would even clear the cache and data of it also just to be safe.

Me personally, I would be more afraid of some of the JAVA vulnerabilities we have seen surfaced recently, specially due to some of the POF code I have worked on there is def. going to be some Android madness going on.

Reactions: crash822

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
Nopcodex90, very good suggestion, but wouldn't it be easier (assuming you had root) to just freeze the app in Titanium Backup?

While your example would work, it seems to be more work. Also, why did you add " /dev/null" to the remount command? You can just remount /system by itself.

Nopcodex90

Jun 1, 2011
Philadelphia
www.burnssecurity.zzl.org
Nopcodex90, very good suggestion, but wouldn't it be easier (assuming you had root) to just freeze the app in Titanium Backup?

While your example would work, it seems to be more work. Also, why did you add " /dev/null" to the remount command? You can just remount /system by itself.

That would def. work also, I actually do not use Titanium backup, I tend to use the shell for my backups and own scripts. Nothing against the App, it does a great job, I am just a little old school.

Also with that said, I am still used to an older POSIX mount command that would have failed with just passing /system, but you are correct , just passing /system would also mount. And you took the damn fun out of focing some of the noobs to learn the damn shell! Sure you can use your fancy dang ol' GUI but In my hayday, we would connect to the interwebz at 9600 baud modems in a green and black vtz1000 terminal.

johnnyutah22

Jul 17, 2011
Tennessee

I can't find it in Titanium, I see it in root explorer under system/app/SecBrowser_ATT but nowhere in app manager or Tiatanium

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
That would def. work also, I actually do not use Titanium backup, I tend to use the shell for my backups and own scripts. Nothing against the App, it does a great job, I am just a little old school.

Also with that said, I am still used to an older POSIX mount command that would have failed with just passing /system, but you are correct , just passing /system would also mount. And you took the damn fun out of focing some of the noobs to learn the damn shell! Sure you can use your fancy dang ol' GUI but In my hayday, we would connect to the interwebz at 9600 baud modems in a green and black vtz1000 terminal.

Hahah.

9600?!?! Man, you were blazing. I remember back when I had to rely on my trusty old 2400 baud modem. Everything was great until the 9600s came out. Then suddenly every BBS was "too good" for us 2400 folk and put minimum speed restrictions up.

smelenchuk

Apr 30, 2011
I remember back when I had to rely on my trusty old 2400 baud modem. Everything was great until the 9600s came out. Then suddenly every BBS was "too good" for us 2400 folk and put minimum speed restrictions up.

2400!? I had to rely on my town's trusty old 1200 baud modem, which was two hours away, uphill (both ways), in the snow for half a year, and had to wait for everyone else in the town to finish using it just to get to my favorite BBS - if the phone lines were up that day.

Kids these days...

Reactions: KentuckyHouse

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
2400!? I had to rely on my town's trusty old 1200 baud modem, which was two hours away, uphill (both ways), in the snow for half a year, and had to wait for everyone else in the town to finish using it just to get to my favorite BBS - if the phone lines were up that day.

Kids these days...

Ah the good old days... The best part was when you were trying to call a BBS and the line was busy. I would call the operator and say that my computer was stuck on the line and I couldn't call home. She would listen and just hear "static". I asked her if she could break in and just blow or talk for a few seconds until it dropped. 9/10 times not only would they do it, but they wouldn't even charge me for the operator intercept, since they thought it was just fixing a phone problem. This was before modems were really common place, so they often had no idea what I meant when I said my computer was on the phone. I'd thank them, and magically the BBS was available. :cool:

Sir_Brizz

Apr 14, 2009
Provo Area

Kids these days...
Hey young man, what about our incredible 300 baud modems????

Also, this issue was fixed. Clicking the link does nothing on the latest AT&T OTA.

zmore

Apr 25, 2011
NYC
Ah the good old days... The best part was when you were trying to call a BBS and the line was busy. I would call the operator and say that my computer was stuck on the line and I couldn't call home. She would listen and just hear "static". I asked her if she could break in and just blow or talk for a few seconds until it dropped. 9/10 times not only would they do it, but they wouldn't even charge me for the operator intercept, since they thought it was just fixing a phone problem. This was before modems were really common place, so they often had no idea what I meant when I said my computer was on the phone. I'd thank them, and magically the BBS was available. :cool:

That's a pretty selfish thing to do, but I guess you were a kid, so it goes with the territory...

I loved my BBS days too. TradeWars, File drops, Forums, Sysop watching you and chatting, ANSI art, demo scene, yay...

ElBeaner

Feb 22, 2012
Dallas
Does anyone know which firmware it was fixed on?

Currently on UCALG1 based rom(been meaning to update to the newer version just keep forgeting to download it.)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It only affects the Roms that Samsung directly influenced and only their browsers. The best way to handle this as of right now, if rooted is to install Chrome ( which is not affected ) or FireFox. Then connect to your phone via ADB ( after installing the android sdk ) , remount the system partition via

# mount -o remount,rw /dev/null /system

CD into /system/app

either delete or rename the SecBrowser_ATT.apk, I moved it to SecBrowser_ATT.bak to make sure I still had it, and that it wouldn't start up.

From what I understand the CM10, Miui and CM9 Browsers are OK due to not having anything to do with the TouchWiz framework.

IF you are not rooted, you can still install Chrome or Firefox, make sure its your "Default" browser and go into Settings-> Application Manager -> find SecBrowser aka stock browser and force stop it and then disable it. I would even clear the cache and data of it also just to be safe.

Me personally, I would be more afraid of some of the JAVA vulnerabilities we have seen surfaced recently, specially due to some of the POF code I have worked on there is def. going to be some Android madness going on.
    I remember back when I had to rely on my trusty old 2400 baud modem. Everything was great until the 9600s came out. Then suddenly every BBS was "too good" for us 2400 folk and put minimum speed restrictions up.

Kids these days...