--Obsolete--WARNING to View Users - Read this before upgrading to HC

Search This thread
Aug 19, 2009
Cleveland
ok so my son was playing with my view last night, and accepted the update. well, it bricked the device. I was able to get it back to gingerbread, by using the ruu though fastboot, but I sit with the new hboot, s-off on gingerbread. no clue what I should or can do at this point. Can I still get root, will it allow the update? any ideas anyone?

E.T.Heil

Dec 19, 2011
C'bus Ohio
First off, thanks to Globatron for his efforts. While I read the warning about HC before I knew there was an update, I went ahead and installed it anyways as I haven't seen a ROM yet that was interesting enough for me to root the device. I have seen quite a few posts about waiting for Global to "work his magic" and I just have one thing to ask.

Globatron, do you need any help/assistance/funds/equipment that may make your life a little easier? I don't know how much I can personally contribute for this arduous task but I would imagine that all of the View users could make things a bit easier for you instead of barking at the door, so to speak, waiting for additional goodies :D

[EDIT]

Last edited:

globatron

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2009
All over the place
ok so my son was playing with my view last night, and accepted the update. well, it bricked the device. I was able to get it back to gingerbread, by using the ruu though fastboot, but I sit with the new hboot, s-off on gingerbread. no clue what I should or can do at this point. Can I still get root, will it allow the update? any ideas anyone?

You don't have the new hboot.

vancraft

May 24, 2008
You don't have the new hboot.

Globatron, I think there's a bit of a miscommunication here. I think I know what you meant, but when you studied the "over the air" upgrade package, you said it had a new hboot (meaning the old modified hboot won't be compatible)
The Android operating system has a built in hboot. Developers made a replacement hboot for Gingerbread. The Honeycomb over-the-air update deletes the old hboot and installs a new one.

I think what you were trying to say is that we don't yet have a modified Honeycomb hboot until someone writes a reliable replacement for the stock install hboot.

Is this what you were conveying?

globatron

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2009
All over the place
Globatron, I think there's a bit of a miscommunication here. I think I know what you meant, but when you studied the "over the air" upgrade package, you said it had a new hboot (meaning the old modified hboot won't be compatible)
The Android operating system has a built in hboot. Developers made a replacement hboot for Gingerbread. The Honeycomb over-the-air update deletes the old hboot and installs a new one.

I think what you were trying to say is that we don't yet have a modified Honeycomb hboot until someone writes a reliable replacement for the stock install hboot.

Is this what you were conveying?

No, I meant exactly what I said....still gingerbread hboot. 6.13 is a revolutionary hboot for gingerbread.

freak4dell

Aug 10, 2008
So, question. If I RUU back to stock GB, then take the HC update, would I be able to RUU back to GB if I want, or would I not be able to access fastboot anymore?

bsweetness

Mar 27, 2009
So, question. If I RUU back to stock GB, then take the HC update, would I be able to RUU back to GB if I want, or would I not be able to access fastboot anymore?

No.

As globatron's first post in this thread says, if you take the OTA Honeycomb update, you will be stuck on that update for the foreseeable future. There's no going back to Gingerbread or installing custom ROMs for the time being from the OTA Honeycomb.

JCatman

Dec 23, 2011
Thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately, I saw it too late. Good luck and we await announcements of you efforts to root HC on the View.

Don't like HC disabled the lighted hardware and new gmail sucks. Carrier IQ is gone with HC though...Happy Holidays

E.T.Heil

Dec 19, 2011
C'bus Ohio
For those who jump to the latest post of a thread...

The Honeycomb upgrade for the View is expected to start rolling out.

Before taking this upgrade please read the following in order to be aware of the consequences of taking the upgrade if you want any root options or custom ROMs or custom recovery.

It is expected that the upgrade will contain a new hboot (that has been strongly hinted at by reliable sources but never explicitly confirmed), that being the case you should be aware of the following consequences:

1. If you take this upgrade there is no HTC unlock for the View yet.
    • This means no root for now
    • This means no custom ROMs for now
    • This means no rollback to gingerbread for now
    • In other words this is a dead-end for now.
  2. There is no S-OFF tool for the view when running on HC (revolutionary will not work)
  3. There is currently no known working temp root exploit on HC (again this means no rollback)

So with that depressing information out of the way, here is the good news:

Once I get hold of the new hboot I will provide an S-OFF to S-OFF upgrade path for the view as quickly as possible thereafter. In other words you will run revolutionary on gingerbread and then upgrade to the new S-OFF configuration, allowing you to have root, custom recovery and custom roms.

While some of you will want to stay completely stock and have no need for root or custom roms/recovery and I entirely respect that opinion and option as being valid others may be undecided. If you are undecided I strongly suggest that you either:
  1. Wait until you have decided
  2. Perform the S-OFF upgrade, which is reversible and will allow you to go back to stock if you want to.

Again, to re-iterate if you take the upgrade as is you will be stuck with no options but to stay completely stock.

Finally do not upgrade if you're already revolutionary S-OFF

For those who jump the the latest post in a thread...

glidersgalore

Oct 6, 2007
st.louis
I had to send my View into HTC for warranty repair- Sprint does not work on them. When I got mine back Wednesday, it had been already updated to HC. Now I will wait a time with patience until the powers that be help us. Until then a lot of the stuff on HC is cool, just dont like the sizes of the Widgets. They are small and don't take up the full screen.

duglas

Mar 29, 2007
I just got mine, turned it on, said there was an update and installed HC.. Then came to the forum to see what I can do with it... Now I see I should of waited to upgade.. It is my darn daughter's fault! I spent the last 6 hours rooting and installing the market on her Kindle Fire when this HTC is a much better unit for almost the same price!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATED:

HTC unlock supports the View.
    I have S-OFF working as an upgrade path
    It is possible to rollback from HC to GB, irrespective of S-OFF or not.

There is some more work required on the procedures, but it can all be done.

-----Information below this line is kept for historical reference------

The Honeycomb upgrade for the View is expected to start rolling out.

Before taking this upgrade please read the following in order to be aware of the consequences of taking the upgrade if you want any root options or custom ROMs or custom recovery.

It is expected that the upgrade will contain a new hboot (that has been strongly hinted at by reliable sources but never explicitly confirmed), that being the case you should be aware of the following consequences:

1. If you take this upgrade there is no HTC unlock for the View yet.
    2. There is no S-OFF tool for the view when running on HC (revolutionary will not work)
    3. There is currently no known working temp root exploit on HC (again this means no rollback)

So with that depressing information out of the way, here is the good news:

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

While some of you will want to stay completely stock and have no need for root or custom roms/recovery and I entirely respect that opinion and option as being valid others may be undecided. If you are undecided I strongly suggest that you either:
    1. Wait until you have decided
    2. Perform the S-OFF upgrade, which is reversible and will allow you to go back to stock if you want to.

Again, to re-iterate if you take the upgrade as is you will be stuck with no options but to stay completely stock.
    Can my two beta testers make their machines ready for remote access this evening? I be active a little after 5 eastern. One of you knows who you are, the other I spoke to on #alpharev last night.

Before the questions start I'm not going to name them, to avoid them getting bombarded with questions and I an NOT looking for anyone else at this time so do not pm/email etc asking if you can be an early tester, the answer is no.

I am only posting this in the open so that people know there is progress. I am not going to answer any questions on what that progress is or how much longer it will take. In the alpharev/Revolutionary tradition it will be released when ready.
    Questions, etc, Can this be done?

Let me try to make this easier for you since the devs hands are full from answering these questions. It sounds like this is the first time you are attempting to modify an android device.

YOU ARE STOCK Gingerbread View (2.3.3 or 2.3.4)
    A) You upgrade to Stock Honeycomb View -> You loose any ability to load a custom recovery or root for the time being. It may be even indefinitely if the devs can't find a way to gain root.

B) You keep yourself at stock Gingerbread -> You still have a rootable device and can load custom roms, but are advised to not upgrade until the patched HC is out and you can continue to load custom roms and whatever you want when that is completed.

I'm going to try a simple computer analogy assuming you run windows or OSX.

S-ON means the Hboot can't be modified. You can only boot directly into Stock Windows without any option, opportunity to boot into a custom OS. It's like saying it's a one way street directly into the Stock OS.

S-OFF means the Hboot can be modified. Think of it as a custom boot for Windows if that's what you're using. It allows you to install "modified Windows" that is free of some programs or whatever are tweaked/removed/improved in custom roms. This is like saying there is multiple streets at an intersection that allow you to end at the destination YOU choose it to be (which is the rom).

There is no point in backing up your device if you are on stock and intend to stay stock unless you just want to save your data. There's no way to revert from Honeycomb->Gingerbread with official stock rom. It's like I just said, a one way street. If you attempted to do it, it likely wouldn't even let you or you'll end up bricking your device after trying to downgrade.

The general steps are
    1) Achieve S-OFF to customize the HBOOT
    2) Achieve root / Load Recovery program
    3) Flash the custom rooted roms and be able to flash more custom stuff in the future.

Globatron is NOT working on a ROM. He's working on re-gaining S-OFF for people who want to load Honeycomb on their tablet.
    Ok, breaking news at this point. Rollback from offical ota is possible.
    Re-flash the honeycomb clockworkmod recovery through fastboot, power off your view from the fastboot menu and wait until tomorrow. It's 4.30 AM here and I'm done for the night. I'll sort you out tomorrow.