Super Easy Root Method for Tab 10.1 (Noob Friendly Guide)

Search This thread

jvbradley

Nov 4, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Verizon

Hi,

I tried this on my samsung galaxy 10.1 verizon and it wouldn't work. I have a 2012 version.... which doesn't have an SD card (only sim) so every time I'd try to download it would prompt me to store it in the box cloud and not allow me to choose where to save it. Then when I'd click on the zip download it wouldn't open it. Of course, I am not savy at these sorts of things... so I could be missing something- but that has been my experience.Thanks !!

yakatoy

Feb 8, 2013
Seattle
Hi,

I tried this on my samsung galaxy 10.1 verizon and it wouldn't work. I have a 2012 version.... which doesn't have an SD card (only sim) so every time I'd try to download it would prompt me to store it in the box cloud and not allow me to choose where to save it. Then when I'd click on the zip download it wouldn't open it. Of course, I am not savy at these sorts of things... so I could be missing something- but that has been my experience.Thanks !!

The best thing I would recommend is to download it on a computer and then transfer it to your tablet that way you can choose where you want to save it, if your table won't give you the option to save. That is what I did and it sounds like I have the same tablet as you.

Last edited:

ppateel

Dec 8, 2010
Question regarding Secure mode

When I go into download mode I see the following
Secure mode : secure
Check Signature : check
Custom Binary download : no (0 Counts)
Custom Binary : Samsung Official

I am planning on using the method described in http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1888755

Does this mean my boot loader is locked and this method will not work ? I took the OTA update for 4.0.4. I am on LP11

Last edited:

AJtheAndroidNoOb

Nov 13, 2013
Siem Riep
Will this work?

Will this Noob - friendly guide work with my device? Galaxy Tab 10.1 3G and Wi-Fi P7500 running stock ICS 4.0.4, Can I root too without a computer? Since I just need to download the "update. zip" and put on root folder which doesn't require a computer, a reply would help:laugh:

yakatoy

Feb 8, 2013
Seattle
Will this Noob - friendly guide work with my device? Galaxy Tab 10.1 3G and Wi-Fi P7500 running stock ICS 4.0.4, Can I root too without a computer? Since I just need to download the "update. zip" and put on root folder which doesn't require a computer, a reply would help:laugh:

As long as you have the Verizon version, then this should work and as long as you can save the update.zip to a location that you can navigate to in recovery, you should be good to do this without a computer.

bpdfs

Dec 23, 2011
As long as you have the Verizon version, then this should work and as long as you can save the update.zip to a location that you can navigate to in recovery, you should be good to do this without a computer.

I just got the Samsung tab 3 10.1.. Will this work for this one?

yakatoy

Feb 8, 2013
Seattle
I just got the Samsung tab 3 10.1.. Will this work for this one?

I wouldn't try this method on your Samsung tab 3, but go to the following link in XDA that is specifically set up for rooting your tab:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2418533

This is an Odin approach, so if you are not a fan of it, just type your device name in the "type to find your device" at the top of the page and search for what works best for you, but you should have no problems finding a good root/rom for your tab!

---------- Post added at 07:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 AM ----------

How about if I'm in Asia? Pls reply I want to root ASAP :D

Without knowing what kind of tab you have, it is very difficult to know if this root will work. Best way is to go through this thread and see if anyone else has your same tab and states that this works. Otherwise, I would just search for your tab in the search field, but if it doesn't state "international" be very careful. Generally speaking, United States and International rooting don't cross too well.

AJtheAndroidNoOb

Nov 13, 2013
Siem Riep
I want to root now xD

SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 07:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 AM ----------[/SIZE]

[/COLOR]

Without knowing what kind of tab you have, it is very difficult to know if this root will work. Best way is to go through this thread and see if anyone else has your same tab and states that this works. Otherwise, I would just search for your tab in the search field, but if it doesn't state "international" be very careful. Generally speaking, United States and International rooting don't cross too well.

I have the same device as some of the other members who replied to this thread [Galaxy Tab 10.1 P-7500] But I'm not in America, is it safer to root that I'm not a Verizon user? :confused:

breet

Dec 17, 2011
Cannot see update.zip file?

Hi, i tried to follow the instructions outlined by saving the update.zip file to the SDCARD folder within my device, however when i go into the load the file the system does not see or recognise the file. Any idea what i am or have done wrong?

sarahshukla

Dec 1, 2013
Propaply a noob question

Does this work on SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB GT P5110 version 4.0.3.? Most I've seen is with something called Odin and required connection with a PC. This is by far the easiest and simplest rooting way I've read. So is this possible? Or is there another way to root my device? I've read many times how easy rooting can mess things up, so I'm too scared to take any unnecessary risks and haven't rooted it for a year.... Any feedback would be much appreciated! You can message me sarahshukla95@gmail.com or anyone who knows about this stuff with experience:) THANK YOU!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If this is some sort of duplicate post, please delete it, but I could not find something like this anywhere. I want to share my method for gaining root access + installing CWM recovery on the Rogers Galaxy Tab 10.1. This should work on other variants, those who can confirm please comment and I'll update the post.

Update:
    Now confirmed on WiFi model AND Verizon Model (thanks Rockaholic94 and badogg for testing).

Rooting:

1. Download this file and rename it as "update.zip"
    2. Put the update.zip file on the root of your tab's SD card
    3. While your tab is powered on or off (doesn't matter), hold the volume down (volume up on VZW Model) + power key to bring up the option to select recovery mode or download mode.
    4. Choose the recovery mode option (box picture) by hitting the volume down key then selecting with the volume up key.
    5. Now that you're in the factory android recovery menu, choose "Install update from SD card".
    6. Highlight the update.zip file using the volume buttons and the power button to select.
    7. Confirm Superuser is in your list of apps :D

Let it do its thing and it is now rooted.

Installing Clockworkmod:

1. After confirming the Superuser app is installed and you in fact have root access, download ROM Manager from the Play Store.
    2. Open ROM Manager and choose "Install Clockworkmod Recovery"
    3. Select "Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" to make sure the right recovery is installed, and wait a minute or so as it installs.
    4. Towards the end, ROM Manager will prompt you for root access to complete the install.

Congrats, you now have root access and CWM Recovery.

This was tested on my 3G device running 3.2 for the record, but it should work on 3.1 also. Please let me know what devices you've been successful using this method for, and remember the "thanks" button too ;).

Guide was written by myself, but I grabbed the root file from this post on Android Authority. Props to whoever the original owner of that file is... :D Also, not responsible for bricking devices etc etc etc.
    I did it on my Wifi only 10.1 tab and it worked perfectly.
    I'm not a huge ODIN fan myself. I only have experience with ODIN from my 7" Galaxy Tab but I like simple methods that don't require a computer. I completed this method by simply using Dropbox to transfer the root file to my device, the built-in file manager to rename the file, stock recovery to flash it, then CWM via ROM Manager from the Play Store......... NO WIRES :D :D
    Just to be clear, this method works fine on the Wifi P7510 gtab 10.1 (US) with ICS right?

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S III

Actually this does not work with ICS but there are other threads that have root methods for ICS. Also a few YouTube vids on rooting GTab with ICS.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using XDA Premium HD app
    Method no longer works in Stock ICS

Stock ICS no longer allows update.zip (default /mnt/sdcard [=/sdcard] location) to be loaded via Stock Recovery main menu update from external (SD card).

External storage is defaulted to "/sdcard", which is not the external USB Host drive (standard recovery mode, that is), neither does it seem to be the highest non-root accessible location. I will probably go the ODIN/CWM route now, as this super easy method now seems to be locked out by Samsung's finest.

EDIT:
    ODIN/CWM did not work out, as first a scrolling CWM menu, and then, after pershoots bootloader installation a scrolling wakeup screen.

/sdcard is present, (soft)link to /mnt/sdcard (or vice versa, still have to look) when ICS is running, but it looks like it is only a temporary link, created during boot-up. Standard recovery of ICS does not see /sdcard, or maybe looks for another filename (i.e. not "update.zip") to load. I am not sure, but the end-result is that standard recovery in ICS does not allow for this method to work as described.