Z/ZL US Release date?

Search This thread

Ambroos

Aug 11, 2010
Dublin / Belgium
Both will probably be coming to the US, but only unlocked through Sony's own retail channels. If I'm right both sets will work with HSPA+ on AT&T and T-Mobile (so no LTE).

Spectre should have more info on this though.

batman_112

Nov 9, 2010
Muscat
Both will probably be coming to the US, but only unlocked through Sony's own retail channels. If I'm right both sets will work with HSPA+ on AT&T and T-Mobile (so no LTE).

Spectre should have more info on this though.

No LTE on AT&T is a bit a waste, isn't it?

The ZL will have LTE but not the Z which will only be HSPA+ (still very fast, I get upto 6.5 Mbps on my Xperia T on at&t on their HSPA+ network).

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
No LTE on AT&T is a bit a waste, isn't it?

Not really, considering AT&T's transfer caps.

Even if I had LTE available in my area, I'd take an unlocked HSPA+ device over a carrier-mangled locked-down LTE device without any hesitation.

LTE isn't all it is cracked up to be, once you take into account monthly transfer limitations (Since AT&T now throttles "unlimited" users, there is no such thing as "unlimited" any more.), especially if you have access to HSPA+.

LTE was more critical for Verizon users, since CDMA2000 hit a wall without an upgrade path far earlier than UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ did.

I'm really hoping the rumors that the Z will be sold directly in a timely fashion are going to be true.

The ZL will be available from AT&T as far as I can tell, but that version will suffer from complete lockdown in addition to traditional AT&T firmware mutilation.

Spectre51

I'm really hoping the rumors that the Z will be sold directly in a timely fashion are going to be true.

The ZL will be available from AT&T as far as I can tell, but that version will suffer from complete lockdown in addition to traditional AT&T firmware mutilation.

Its still up in the air about the Z availability in the US. Hoping its sold directly too.

AT&T isn't picking up the Z or ZL. but both should work on its network.

Reactions: S0UND.w4v

peaceburn

Dec 5, 2010
:cool:

So till now, AT&T was the only carrier that sold the sony smartphones, with the only exception I think was the playstation phone on verizon.

So the most logical thing for me is Sony to push again through AT&T, because:

1) They already have done business in the past, and have worked out the business side, so it's a safe bet, they might try to work deals with other carriers later through the year to have bigger exposure to the market.

2) It's a flagship phone, Sony will try to get it in the hands of as many people, the comment that it'll be available only full price in retail channels made me laugh :) The situation is so heated, that they'll have to loose ton of money, just to try to snatch some market, to have a chance to stay a player in this market. They surely want to be in this market, why would they make the Z and show it at CES when no other big name was revealing top models - so they grab the spotlight at CES, and the phone doesn't get lost in all the announcements coming in Feb from the mobile congress.

3) AT&T would love to have another strong horse in the race so they are not dependent only on Apple or Samsung for the best devices they offer. For AT&T the bigger portfolio of manufacturers that want to move devices on their network gives them edge on pricing and other deal terms.

So yeah, I can bet money that in couple of weeks, there will be announcement/leak that AT&T will carry a Z/ZL phone, with LTE of course.

Ambroos

Aug 11, 2010
Dublin / Belgium
Spectre51 has said it before, AT&T won't be carrying the ZL or Z. The ZL will be sold unlocked through Sony's own retail channels, the Z may be sold unlocked too.

quailallstar

Jan 22, 2007
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I'm starting to like this phone. I'm currently on T-Mobile so I probably will only see 3G speeds correct? If so maybe StraightTalk could be an option as my contract expires in June of this year.

csmall

May 1, 2008
NY
I wonder why AT&T would skip out on such a great device. Especially considering what appears to be a long term relationship with Sony. It doesn't make much sense...

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

darksora145

Jan 19, 2011
I asked one of the AT&T associates and they confirmed they will be getting zl but not sure about the z

dizarmstrong

Mar 18, 2009
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Guys I've gotta say that spectre is usually right on about stuff like this. I've seen him in the ion forums and he seems to have insider information.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i contacted sony, they said it will be released in the first quarter(Q1 which should be before april).
    YAY!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for contacting Sony Xperia™ Online Support.

In regards to your inquiry the Xperia Z will be release in the US market during the 1st quarter of this year (2013), now if you decide to purchase a phone from another market, the warranty of this will be only valid on the market the phone is coming from. Thank you for wanted to be part of our Sony Xperia™ family.

If you require more information, or have any other questions, please visit www.sonymobile.com or call us at 1-866-766-9374.

Kind Regards,
    George P.

Sony Xperia US Customer Services
    Since I'll likely not see LTE service in my area for another few years - I'll go for the waterproof pentaband-HSPA+ Z I think.

I think the ZL will be a first in terms of a phone that supports AT&T's LTE bands but isn't sold by AT&T.
    Hi Spectre, great info you've been providin in the forums. Any idea if the ZL will work on HSPA+ for t-mobile? Sorry, if it's already been answered.

white paper

http://dl-developer.sonymobile.com/documentation/whitepapers/Xperia_ZL_LTE_C6506_WP_4.pdf

Networks
    C6506 UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV),
    1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I)
    GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900
    LTE Band I, Band II, Band IV, Band V and Band XVII
    One Sony is not a device.

By the way the ZL is listed at the Sony online store for $759.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666540742
    Sorry, I completely screwed up the model numbers, wasn't paying enough attention.

It basically comes down to the ZL sold in the US will work on AT&T LTE+3G and T-Mobile LTE+3G. The Xperia Z for the US only has 3G on AT&T and 3G on T-Mo. The Xperia Z for Europe only has 3G on AT&T, no LTE and no T-Mo either.

Bingo.