Apt-X Bluetooth Receiver

Search This thread

WESBAR

Jan 27, 2005
Hi,

I know the One x outputs Apt-x streo bluetooth. Theres a couple of over the head type headphones that support this. what i'm after is an Apt-X receiver which I can plug my own 3.5mm headphones into. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

I know you can get standard bluetothe receivewrs for this (i've got the SE DS200) but it does not support Apt-X.

Cheers.

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
Just searched myself - found the Chord Gem at $799 (it's a high quality DAC as well), and the more reasonably priced QED LIVE uPLAY WIRELESS BLUETOOTH AUDIO RECEIVER for like 60-70pounds (apologies for the shouting, I just cut n paste that from the website).

EDIT: Just found out that the Samsung HS3000 has Apt-X, looks better than the QED since it has facilities for calls and also media controls...

EDIT2: Just purchased the HS3000, will let you all know how it is.

Last edited:

WESBAR

Jan 27, 2005
Just searched myself - found the Chord Gem at $799 (it's a high quality DAC as well), and the more reasonably priced QED LIVE uPLAY WIRELESS BLUETOOTH AUDIO RECEIVER for like 60-70pounds (apologies for the shouting, I just cut n paste that from the website).

EDIT: Just found out that the Samsung HS3000 has Apt-X, looks better than the QED since it has facilities for calls and also media controls...

EDIT2: Just purchased the HS3000, will let you all know how it is.

cheers. can u tell me where it says it has apt-x?

pzboyz

Dec 14, 2005
I know you can get standard bluetothe receivewrs for this (i've got the SE DS200) but it does not support Apt-X.

If the One X has a good BT stack, you will not be able to hear any aptx benefits, the DS200 is a good device and with a good BT stack on the phone, it will be CD-like quality.

WESBAR

Jan 27, 2005
If the One X has a good BT stack, you will not be able to hear any aptx benefits, the DS200 is a good device and with a good BT stack on the phone, it will be CD-like quality.

Apt-x allows uncompressed data transmission of lossless audio files from what I can gather. From reviews I've read of apt-x sennheiser headphones, it's indistinguishable from wired headphones. I've had several a2dp headphones including ds200 and the quality just isn't there for me. U can definately tell the difference.

pzboyz

Dec 14, 2005
Apt-x allows uncompressed data transmission of lossless audio files from what I can gather.

Which is not at all correct, the audio is compressed. The streaming rate is +300kb/s.

U can definately tell the difference.

Many phones have poorly implemented standard a2dp, they stream at about 220kb/s, this is something which is will be improved, a +300kb/s standard a2dp stream is also just as good as wired. I know people who have done the comparison.

Last edited:

rasterX

Jan 28, 2008
Los Angeles
I was under the impression that AptX uses a different codec too, not SBC.

@pzboyz, is there a way of measuring the A2DP bitrate for a device?

It's ironic I only heard of AptX recently, when I bought a Foxl and opted not to get the Platinum version, thinking that there weren't any implementations of this spec yet. And a month later, it's in my new phone.

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
Well I can definitely tell the difference between bluetooth and wired (I have Sennheiser HD25-1 II's and Audeze LCD-2's).

@WESBAR: Samsung say that, but not on all their sites, in some they just talk about their silly EQ effects and make no mentioned of Apt-X. I saw it listed quite a number of places with specific mention of Apt-X.

Anyways, will confirm what it's like once I get them.

WESBAR

Jan 27, 2005
Well I can definitely tell the difference between bluetooth and wired (I have Sennheiser HD25-1 II's and Audeze LCD-2's).

@WESBAR: Samsung say that, but not on all their sites, in some they just talk about their silly EQ effects and make no mentioned of Apt-X. I saw it listed quite a number of places with specific mention of Apt-X.

Anyways, will confirm what it's like once I get them.

Yeah I've seen it mentioned on their site too. Got my phone now. Tempted to just order one. They're on ebay for around £26. They do a white version which will match my phone aswell! If these live up to the claims, they'll make a perfect partner to my Shure SE530's which have a short cable which usually runs into an extension piece.

Where did you order yours from?

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
How are you making the comparison? You quoted some wired headphones and none of the other equipment used to make the comparison.

I'm talking about every smartdevice I've ever owned listening to bluetooth Vs wired (N95, N95 8GB, N82, i8910, HD2, Touch Pro, N97, HTC Desire, HTC Sensation, Galaxy S, Galaxy SII, Galaxy Note, ASUS Transformer and Transformer Prime, Google I/O Tab 10.1, Galaxy Tab 7.7) with a large number of headsets DRC-BT15, Moto S805, can't remember the model names but several of Nokia's best BT cans, a few other Sony headsets whose model numbers escape me. Bluetooth audio quality is not equal to wired on any of those devices.

I only mentioned the wired headsets so it's apparent the wired headsets are not the rate limiting step.

I've not tried it with my One X since I don't get it until next week, will be interesting to see is Apt-X lives up to it's billing.

WESBAR

Jan 27, 2005
It's arrived. Initial impressions are good.

Definitely sounds better than previous a2dp headsets I've used. After initial pairing I've noticed one or two occasional dropouts during the first minute or so of playback but it seems pretty stable after that. Swapping between plugged in and bluetooth with the included iem's doesn't highlight any immediate differences (only tried mp3's and aac files with Poweramp) which is good. Previous a2dp's i've used have been more constrained with throughput than the the actual headphones used with them.

Will listen to it a bit more over the weekend with better headphones (Shure SE 530's), higher quality source files and post some thoughts.

Reactions: NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008

Definitely sounds better than previous a2dp headsets I've used. After initial pairing I've noticed one or two occasional dropouts during the first minute or so of playback but it seems pretty stable after that. Swapping between plugged in and bluetooth with the included iem's doesn't highlight any immediate differences (only tried mp3's and aac files with Poweramp) which is good. Previous a2dp's i've used have been more constrained with throughput than the the actual headphones used with them.

Will listen to it a bit more over the weekend with better headphones (Shure SE 530's), higher quality source files and post some thoughts.

Thanks for the feedback, I have the receiver but won't have my One X till next Wednesday (lucky enough to be getting one for review that I get to keep).

It's meant to be lossless up to ~370kbps according to CSR (the people who developed Apt-X), so I presume for FLAC files you'll start to hear some differences, but for everything up to 320kbps mp3 there shouldn't be any discernible difference if CSR's claims are accurate.

RedGreenGeek

Jan 11, 2011
apt-x is a codec used under the a2dp profile.

Hi

In order to clarify a bit. I believe the apt-x is a compression format, which is an extended codec to the a2dp profile of bt.

So you may be comparing apt-x to a range of codecs used under a2dp, where you also find apt-x.

Hope it sort the discussion a bit. And thanks for the input on devices. :)

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
Right guys I Love me music and the HOX straight out of the headphone out it's ok. My SGS Voodoo'd kicks its arse out of that water! I'm going to order the HS3000 and test the aptX technology with my TDK BA200 IEMS. To see how it differs.

Will give some feedback once I've had a play with it all.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: I don't claim to be an audiophile or an expert on this sort of thing.
    About me: My background is live sound. I'm in charge of setting up the sound system for our church. I've also done it for a few other churches and have been told I do a really good job. I listen to all music genres and can't stand anything MP3 less than 192kb/s cuz it sounds horrible to me. I am able to tell the difference between 256kb/s and FLAC around 3/5 of the time, 320kb/s and FLAC maybe 1/5 of the time. Hopefully this helps give my opinion some perspective :)

I bought one of the Samsung HS3000 so I could use my Sony XB500 cans wirelessly. I have also used it with my JVC HA-FX67 in-ears, in my wife's Pontiac G5 w/ premium sound and with my Logitech Z-2300.
    Using it with my One X, I am unable to hear any differences compared to wired when not using any sound modes on either device. None at all. When using "beats", at higher volumes, the sound is fuller through the Samsung. I suspect it may have a more powerful amp, as it seems to drive the Sony's better than the phone does.
    Using it with my Sensation, there is a hissing at low volumes. I hear dynamic compression and some compression artifacts that I don't hear when plugged in directly. There is some lag, maybe for 1 second every 3rd song, when using Bluetooth, compared to none directly plugged in.

I can definitely hear a difference when using the One X vs the Sensation. Whether its aptx or something else I don't know. Either way the HS3000 sounds great to me with the One X.
    Hope this helps!
    Apt-x bluetooth receiver for home stereo/hifi with nfc connection £27.75 delivered!

Just stumbled upon this bargain. Purchased. Got a nad seperates and speakers so fingers crossed this unit will deliver on audio fidelity and I can leave my computer off more. Will test and review here.

The white one is heavily discounted. if you want black its About £60quid.

click to go to my non expert review

Nokia MD-310 Wireless Music Reciever