[Q] Custom ROMs and their similarity

Search This thread

agurudev

Feb 8, 2013
Bangalore
Does anyone else feel that most custom ROMs today look and feel 95% similar? I mean the only changes seems to be which module they are using for the tweaks and the boot animations though some are much more stable than the others.

I am Carbon and love the minimalist approach that it has taken and it is super smooth and stable.

From a ROM perspective, I find that there are two which are doing things differently -
1. PA ROM, they have gone away from the customization menu and allowed this to happen dynamically
2. MIUI - Completely different look and feel.

Are there others which are vastly different from the rest? Look forward to your suggestions. Thanks.

DryaT

Dec 12, 2013
Different... maybe the ones based on sense, touchwiz... but yeah, a lot of roms have the same things but with different form.

Elluel

Jan 14, 2014
えうれる
Can you please name a few Slim features that are unique? I need to try this if it is good.
He said original, not unique. Other ROMs might have taken some features but it was original to that ROM. Hardly any features would be "unique" as its likely another will take the commits and implement it into their own ROM.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Reactions: agurudev

agurudev

Feb 8, 2013
Bangalore
He said original, not unique. Other ROMs might have taken some features but it was original to that ROM. Hardly any features would be "unique" as its likely another will take the commits and implement it into their own ROM.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Got it and you are absolutely right, most of these are in Carbon which I am on. I was wondering if there were any unique Custom ROMs. I listed 2 on my OP, looking for any more.

Elluel

Jan 14, 2014
えうれる
Didnt know that, thanks for the info. I thought it was different grounds up as I could not find Root, App drawer, etc. So is there any ROM that is different? How about the beta version of Ubuntu thats out now?
That's more like an entire new OS compared to an Android custom ROM.

Ubuntu Touch, Firefox OS, Sailfish OS.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Elluel

Jan 14, 2014
えうれる
Do we have Sailfish for our hardware?
Their devs (or someone helping them develop the OS) are porting it to the Nexus 5. There's an experimental source which you can build, its not daily driver capable yet. I've built it and successfully booted into it on my Nexus 5 before.

See my other post:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53079592

Sent from my Nexus 5

Edit: my images went down, let me reupload them.

Edit2: they're up again :)

Last edited:
Reactions: agurudev

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can you please name a few Slim features that are unique? I need to try this if it is good.

Sent from my Nexus 5
    Do we have Sailfish for our hardware?
    Their devs (or someone helping them develop the OS) are porting it to the Nexus 5. There's an experimental source which you can build, its not daily driver capable yet. I've built it and successfully booted into it on my Nexus 5 before.

See my other post:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53079592

Sent from my Nexus 5

Edit: my images went down, let me reupload them.

Edit2: they're up again :)